Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Domi on the wing is not defensively enept. He's solid defensively as a winger and also a great fit with Matthews. He also overtook Tavares as the 2C for a while last season. He's tough, a good playmaker and very versatile as a forward. 4M is a steal for him imo.
Yea that's what I like about him too. Who else can play C in the top 6 if one of the expensive guys goes down? Having those Swiss army knife types in your top 6 are great to have. If some of the kids get hot he can easily drop to the 3rd line too. I'm happy to spend $4m on that

Reactions: exporta and OVO16

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Ended up on the top line and we couldn't use Matthews to matchup anymore

Why did he end up on the top line? Oh yeah, he's a very productive offensive player. If he was good defensively, he'd be worth 6 million.

Last year, at even strength, he scored at essentially the same pace as Nylander....

Theres more to players than points. Leafs can use 4 million a lot better than on Domi.

Like who?

Reactions: OVO16

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
4x4 today is the 3x3 Kerfoot signed. I take Domi on that kind of deal any day.

Also my gut tells me Roy is our #1 target and depending on what it takes to land him depends which if any of Bertuzzi and Domi we bring back. 29 year old, likely has 5 good seasons of hockey in him and a top 4 RD.

I also have a feeling we will overpay Tanev in term. Give Tanev 5 years 4M and hope to Robidas island him at the end.

Reactions: OVO16

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Yes, he absolutely is.

Only in the minds of people on here. Not on the ice.
We literally witnessed it during the season and then we won two games with Domi as Matthews replacement during the playoffs when Matthews was hurt. I think we were 2-0 in that span and the team D was better than ever during that span.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If Tanev is gonna cost around 5M for like 3-4 years, you may as well go 6M x 5 years on Roy, way more tread on the tire.

I really don't want Tanev; that cap can be put to other good uses

Give me Debrusk over Bertuzzi at similar contracts.

Matt Roy should be our number 1 target

as much as I HATE DeBrusk; he can skate Bert's speed is lacking

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
This is where I'm at too. Don't understand people being scared of term for a guy that often gets hurt and is LTIR eligible. After a couple years he could be our Mark Stone missing most of the year but coming back for the playoffs.

Whatever his age, in this most recent postseason he was still one of the best defensive defenders in the league full stop. And would make a great partner for Rielly right now.

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Roy

That top 4 is miles ahead of anything we've had.
Agree with every word. I also like Skjei in place of Roy, giving us more of what Rielly gives us...maybe even

Reilly - Tanev
Skjei - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

...also miles ahead of anything we have had. Skjei will be more expensive than Roy.

As for Tanev and term. I see people on here suggesting 3 years x $5M and think we are just burning cap for no reason. He knows this is his last contract. He will do 6 years at $3M per

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
On Trades there's a Trouba may be out thread.

Trouba (@7x2) and Laf (Extension in place - 4.5ish) for Marner...do you do it?

..I of course personally do but do the Rangers?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This is where I'm at too. Don't understand people being scared of term for a guy that often gets hurt and is LTIR eligible. After a couple years he could be our Mark Stone missing most of the year but coming back for the playoffs.

Whatever his age, in this most recent postseason he was still one of the best defensive defenders in the league full stop. And would make a great partner for Rielly right now.

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Roy

That top 4 is miles ahead of anything we've had.

The worst case scenario isn’t LTIR though it’s multiple 3-5 week minor injuries every season that take 2 weeks to shake the rust off. Constantly shuffling your D core around to accommodate, no one builds chemistry, not injured long enough for LTIR, probably limping into the playoffs 60-70% healthy and winding up a game time decision for a decent chunk of them.

Contract would have to be long enough that there’s never a scenario where he doesn’t want to go to LTIR because he wants to pull a Gio and has a reason to play for his next deal somewhere else.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I surprisingly don't find either of those deals (Myers and Verhaeghe) to be too outrageous.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
If your starting rationale to sign Tanev at $5m is because he’s easy to put on LTIR, you need to really think about why you are signing him.

We have a glaring gap for 2 RHD. Tanev is not a long term solution. Don’t waste the cap and time.

Sign Roy, see if Marino shakes free in NJ, go hard for another UFA RHD and finally give us balance.

27 year old Tanev, oh hell yeah! 34 year old, not interested in his selling point being we can pay him now and LTIR.

Guess what? LTIR still leaves a gap at RHD. Sign guys who you fully expect to play.

Haven’t we seen enough of drop off in our D from Brodie and Gio?

Fix it properly already and stop wasting money and time.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

What’s the latest on pending Toronto Maple Leafs free agents Tyler Bertuzzi and Max Domi?

Chris Johnston: Two forwards I think, all things being equal, would like to remain in Toronto. In some ways, I’m a bit surprised that Max Domi has ended up in this spot, on the doorstep of potential free agency without a new deal because the Leafs and his camp have had a dialogue and it doesn’t seem like the gap is too massive. I think that they both see the value in each other. They’re hammering away right now with that July 1 deadline hanging over their heads. It wouldn’t surprise me if they found a way to get that done but right now it’s a difficult stage of those talks.

Some have thought Tyler Bertuzzi is out the door in Toronto but that’s not so. It sounds like Bertuzzi is very willing to work with the Leafs when it comes to the length of the contract. Even the money, I don’t think that this is a case of ‘pay me this or I’m out the door’. I don’t think any hard lines are being drawn.
All things being equal, Bertuzzi would like to remain in Toronto but both Bertuzzi and Domi are waiting to see if the money will be there and if they’re a priority for the Leafs as they look to shore up their blueline.

Dreger: The money is going to the blueline for the most part. When you look at the list of right-shot defencemen that Brad Treliving is targeting, it’s a long one. It starts with Chris Tanev, then Brandon Montour. What about Matt Roy if he leaves the Los Angeles Kings and hits the open market? You’ve got Brett Pesce going to open market, leaving Carolina and Alexandre Carrier would be another, along with Sean Walker. So there are a lot of options Treliving is kicking the tires on.

Reactions: PromisedLand

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If your starting rationale to sign Tanev at $5m is because he’s easy to put on LTIR, you need to really think about why you are signing him.

We have a glaring gap for 2 RHD. Tanev is not a long term solution. Don’t waste the cap and time.

Sign Roy, see if Marino shakes free in NJ, go hard for another UFA RHD and finally give us balance.

27 year old Tanev, oh hell yeah! 34 year old, not interested in his selling point being we can pay him now and LTIR.

Guess what? LTIR still leaves a gap at RHD. Sign guys who you fully expect to play.

Haven’t we seen enough of drop off in our D from Brodie and Gio?

Fix it properly already and stop wasting money and time.

and the wear and tear of Tanev types in Muzzin?

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad