Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not sure he's making the team, but he isn't being demoted.

Treliving will protect the asset regardless of performance.

They have other he'd probably expose first.
Leafs have a quantity of NHL players, be nice to move a couple for more quality if possible. I’d hate losing a talent like Robertson et al for nothing……….

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Leafs are really really weak on defense.

Timmins is NHL only due to age and some games played.
Hakanpaa isn't healthy.
Move Liljegren and Leafs are down to 5 defenders.
I’d move Lilly if there’s atrade that improves the team, he’s marginally better than the guys who would replace him imo……….

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs have a quantity of NHL players, be nice to move a couple for more quality if possible. I’d hate losing a talent like Robertson et al for nothing……….

Do the Leafs really have excess NHLers that they want to move that have any real value?

If any prospect shows potential, even waiving players from last year wouldn't cause me concern.

They weren't good enough last year, they are older, only change has been defense and goal.

Forwards weren't good enough last year, only improvement could come via prospects/youts.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Do the Leafs really have excess NHLers that they want to move that have any real value?

If any prospect shows potential, even waiving players from last year wouldn't cause me concern.

They weren't good enough last year, they are older, only change has been defense and goal.

Forwards weren't good enough last year, only improvement could come via prospects/youts.
My logic is I’d rather recoup assets than lose assets for nothing. Some waiver players aren’t worth much, some are worth a good equal return. The Idea of packaging 3 or four assets to obtain one better asset appeals to me if such a deal exists out there…….

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
There is already a hole on defense, this just makes a small hole bigger, and marginally improves forward ranks.

Of course Danault would be a daily reminder of how pathetic the 1st. line was against the Habs a few years ago in the playoffs.

Motivation?
That was only a example of what might be available, not sure who else is weak on the D or are in a rebuild where a younger Lilly gets you a old D man with some salary retained like that proposed deal involving Fowler……..

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
That was only a example of what might be available, not sure who else is weak on the D or are in a rebuild where a younger Lilly gets you a old D man with some salary retained like that proposed deal involving Fowler……..
Liljegren needs to develop into a #4 D or his salary + picks needs to be turned into a #4 D.

Rielly - good enough #1
Tanev - good enough #2
McCabe - good enough #3
Liljegren - ??
OEL - Good #5
Hakanpaa/Benoit - Great #6/#7.

Liljegren developing into a #4 D is what can take this D-core go from average/top 15-18ish to potentially a top 10 D core IMO.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Liljegren needs to develop into a #4 D or his salary + picks needs to be turned into a #4 D.

Rielly - good enough #1
Tanev - good enough #2
McCabe - good enough #3
Liljegren - ??
OEL - Good #5

Liljegren developing into a #4 D is what can take this D-core go from average/top 15-18ish to potentially a top 10 D core IMO.

He's under contract for 2 years, so by end of this year Berube should have a good handle on who he is. Perhaps even by TD they decide keep or move.

Leafs defense is really bottom of each tier.
Bottom 1st. tier
Bottom 2nd. tier
Bottom 3rd. tier

At one time you might have had a couple mid-lower top tiers, but age hasn't passed them by. It has visited and made its presence known.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Rielly - good enough #1
Tanev - good enough #2
McCabe - good enough #3
Liljegren - ??
OEL - Good #5

Rielly is NOT NEAR good enough #1. He is weak on D and has no shot from the point!!!

Rielly is a decent #2, and a great #3 on a Stanley Cup winning team.

JMHO.

Reactions: rumman

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I feel like Niemela is done here.

Does Niemela and Robertson get us an up and coming, cost-controlled, 3C?
I think that is a massive leap in jumping to conclusions about Niemela. I'm not sure why he hasn't played a game as of yet though.

I am unaware of any up and coming, cost controlled 3C that could be on the market. The only guy that I can make a case that they'd be interested in moving him, would be Laughton. At $3 mil, that's a tough cap for us to swallow, and would require moving more than just Niemela and Robertson.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Rielly - good enough #1
Tanev - good enough #2
McCabe - good enough #3
Liljegren - ??
OEL - Good #5

I would rank it as the following:

Rielly - more appropriately a #2
Tanev - high end complimentary #3 (factoring in age)
McCabe - good #4
OEL - good #5 (ideally leading a bottom pair)
Liljegren - average #5
Benoit - good #6
Hakanpaa - great #7

The problem with the D configuration is the top 4 on that list have an average age of ~32 years old, with OEL and Tanev both carrying significant term as 33 and 35 year olds. So, whether you're bullish/bearish on what # D they are, you have to imagine each of them slightly regress moving forward. A lot of the additions are short-term band-aids.

IMO, what's more important than Liljegren developing to a #4 is adding another 26-28 year old that is at worst 2nd pair quality (i.e. Provorov). Signing OEL complicates this because his term makes the left side a log jam, while not really moving the needle.

Rielly - Tanev
xxxxx - McCabe
OEL - Liljegren
[Benoit]

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
"Everyone's always complaining about how we don't keep our young players, so clearly the solution is to trade one of only two D-men we have under 29!"
I only complain about getting rid of young players that are good like Marchment, happy to get rid of the ones that won’t amount to much. We git a plethora of 5/6/7 D men that are a lot cheaper than Lilly……

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would rank it as the following:

Rielly - more appropriately a #2
Tanev - high end complimentary #3 (factoring in age)
McCabe - good #4
OEL - good #5 (ideally leading a bottom pair)
Liljegren - average #5
Benoit - good #6
Hakanpaa - great #7

The problem with the D configuration is the top 4 on that list have an average age of ~32 years old, with OEL and Tanev both carrying significant term as 33 and 35 year olds. So, whether you're bullish/bearish on what # D they are, you have to imagine each of them slightly regress moving forward. A lot of the additions are short-term band-aids.

IMO, what's more important than Liljegren developing to a #4 is adding another 26-28 year old that is at worst 2nd pair quality (i.e. Provorov). Signing OEL complicates this because his term makes the left side a log jam, while not really moving the needle.

Rielly - Tanev
xxxxx - McCabe
OEL - Liljegren
[Benoit]

Hakanpa is a great #6

I don't disagree on the rest.

Rielly-Tanev
X-McCabe
OEL-Hakanpaa
Benoit

If Pettersson isn't extending in Pittsburgh - that's the target

weems

Jul 3, 2008
You'd have to think Calgary will listen to offers this season on both Andersson and Weegar.

This is most likely not a playoff team the next few seasons, so don't really understand the point of keeping these two while their value starts to diminish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad