Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Scratched the final three games of the playoffs (and eight games total) ... I'm guessing that management didn't share the view that he was their best fourth liner.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'd love to replace Kampf... no issues there, but it has to net make the team better, and this isn't it. You did say this was possibly a Kampf replacement... and in no way is that a possibility.
I said this makes no sense unless they're moving Kampf. That still largely holds true. Even if he doesn't play 4C his highest upside is 4LW which is currently a competition between Dewar and Holmberg. If he were to play 4LW I'd think one of Dewar or Holmberg would play 4C.
In that one year removed from 19 points, his team scored at a rate of 1.6GF/60 and gave up 3.0GA/60 while on the ice... he's just not very good.

It's a PTO... odds are heavily stacked against him actually getting any contract, and if he does, he'll be sent down to the Marlies, and be injury replacement if we get desperate, and no Marlies steps forward.
His underlying numbers are bad, as I've stated twice in this thread.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I said this makes no sense unless they're moving Kampf. That still largely holds true. Even if he doesn't play 4C his highest upside is 4LW which is currently a competition between Dewar and Holmberg. If he were to play 4LW I'd think one of Dewar or Holmberg would play 4C.

His underlying numbers are bad, as I've stated twice in this thread.

Kampf disappointed last year for sure. Our 4th line as a whole was a puzzle as to what they were trying to accomplish, players that just didn't fit together. Kampf had been a decent C for us, for some time but to go from $1.5 mil to $2.4 million is weird at best. $1.8 would have been more than enough, even if that was a bit rich.

But then Kampf needs to play with the right kid of players. Guys like Dewar who can skate and carry the puck, instead of Gregor. Kampf put up 6 of his 19 regular season points once put together with Dewar... 6 points in 16 games, and 13 points in the prior 62. That 6 points in 16 games is nearly a 30 point pace... now if Dewar + Kampf + Someone other than Reaves can be defensively sound, and Kampf puts up nearly 30 points, all of the complaining will go away. 30 points from a 4C would be incredibly solid.

I'm all for giving Holmberg, Minten and/or Dewar the opportunity to solidify two of the final C spots on this team though.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
This isn't hard to understand. For the 1st time in years we're going into camp with the ability to
A- pick the best team out of camp, regardless of individual cap hits on the fringe
B-carry multiple spares without needing an injury to open LTIR space.

On top of that, one of our likely 4th liners is best used on a rotation basis. Whoever he's rotating with should be cheap, and can't be counted on as a key part of the special teams (since they're being rotated), but with injuries becomes an everyday player so some special teams ability has value.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
But then Kampf needs to play with the right kid of players. Guys like Dewar who can skate and carry the puck, instead of Gregor. Kampf put up 6 of his 19 regular season points once put together with Dewar... 6 points in 16 games, and 13 points in the prior 62. That 6 points in 16 games is nearly a 30 point pace... now if Dewar + Kampf + Someone other than Reaves can be defensively sound, and Kampf puts up nearly 30 points, all of the complaining will go away. 30 points from a 4C would be incredibly solid.
If Kampf is putting up 30 points and playing above average defense again that would be great value for 2.4M. The Dewar-Kampf-Reaves trio was actually very good together.

I don't expect those results to carry over through 82 games though. I don't see Dewar as a Mikheyev/Kase/Engvall type that has elevated Kampf in the past. Maybe I'm underrating Dewar's transition game.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Reactions: stickty111

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I poured through the Athletic's top 200 U23 player rankings and one center stood out to me as a long-term fit for the Leafs that could be available: Sillinger.

Sillinger was ranked 79th - 1 behind Zary and 1 ahead of Perfetti. What stood out to me about Sillinger's profile was the emphasis on physicality.

"Tier: Middle of the lineup player

Skating: Below NHL average
Puck skills: Above NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: High-end

Sillinger had a productive season in the NHL despite not getting a ton of power-play time for Columbus. Sillinger is a skilled center who can provide offense, but what makes him truly appealing is his physical play. He plays with an edge and isn't afraid to throw around his body. He has a scoring touch, even if the natural offense in his game is a minor question in terms of whether he'll be a big-time scorer who makes a ton of plays. His foot speed is also not great. He is a player coaches will want to play a lot due to his compete, but as a second, I don't know if I see more than a 3C on a contender or a 2C on a bottom feeder."

Sillinger may be the odd man out in Columbus with them drafting Lindstrom. He is their 3rd ranked U23 center behind Fantilli and Lindstrom. He ranks behind Johnson who they no longer count as a C. CBJ just signed Monahan who will be a long-term C there. Jenner will most likely retire there at this point and play 3C until then. Voronkov centered their best line this year. Kuraly is a better fit as 4C. Sillinger is running out of room on the roster.

He turned 21 this May and has already played 220 NHL games. His results have been objectively poor. He has lost his minutes every single season. At 21 his career isn't a write-off because he continually loses his minutes. He has plenty of time to mature and he could probably benefit from stronger linemates (his most common line mates were Texier and Marchenko). Sillinger will be 21 for the entirety of the next NHL season, the same age Knies was this season.

I think he would be an ideal buy-low candidate because of his physical drive. Physical point producing C's are very rare in the NHL and the Leafs have been looking for one since Kadri left.

I could see him being moved for an early 2nd+ or a late 1st from a contender. The Leafs don't really have either of those assets but I could see them putting together a package of Carolina's 2nd and Florida's 2nd once the Robertson to Carolina move is finalized or even Robertson+FLA 2nd.

I would play him at 2/3C with either of Marner or Nylander on the wing.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I poured through the Athletic's top 200 U23 player rankings and one center stood out to me as a long-term fit for the Leafs that could be available: Sillinger.

Sillinger was ranked 79th - 1 behind Zary and 1 ahead of Perfetti. What stood out to me about Sillinger's profile was the emphasis on physicality.

"Tier: Middle of the lineup player

Skating: Below NHL average
Puck skills: Above NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: High-end

Sillinger had a productive season in the NHL despite not getting a ton of power-play time for Columbus. Sillinger is a skilled center who can provide offense, but what makes him truly appealing is his physical play. He plays with an edge and isn't afraid to throw around his body. He has a scoring touch, even if the natural offense in his game is a minor question in terms of whether he'll be a big-time scorer who makes a ton of plays. His foot speed is also not great. He is a player coaches will want to play a lot due to his compete, but as a second, I don't know if I see more than a 3C on a contender or a 2C on a bottom feeder."

Sillinger may be the odd man out in Columbus with them drafting Lindstrom. He is their 3rd ranked U23 center behind Fantilli and Lindstrom. He ranks behind Johnson who they no longer count as a C. CBJ just signed Monahan who will be a long-term C there. Jenner will most likely retire there at this point and play 3C until then. Voronkov centered their best line this year. Kuraly is a better fit as 4C. Sillinger is running out of room on the roster.

He turned 21 this May and has already played 220 NHL games. His results have been objectively poor. He has lost his minutes every single season. At 21 his career isn't a write-off because he continually loses his minutes. He has plenty of time to mature and he could probably benefit from stronger linemates (his most common line mates were Texier and Marchenko). Sillinger will be 21 for the entirety of the next NHL season, the same age Knies was this season.

I think he would be an ideal buy-low candidate because of his physical drive. Physical point producing C's are very rare in the NHL and the Leafs have been looking for one since Kadri left.

I could see him being moved for an early 2nd+ or a late 1st from a contender. The Leafs don't really have either of those assets but I could see them putting together a package of Carolina's 2nd and Florida's 2nd once the Robertson to Carolina move is finalized or even Robertson+FLA 2nd.

I would play him at 2/3C with either of Marner or Nylander on the wing.
Not a terrible idea.

I wonder if CBJ would just shift him to the wing though. I would definitely have some interest.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
once the Robertson to Carolina move is finalized or even Robertson+FLA 2nd.
Has there been anything tangible suggesting he was going to Carolina?

------------------------------------------

I'd be interested in Sillinger. He's still young, and has room to grow his game. We could use a C.... I'd be surprised if he was a 2C though... I think his ceiling is 3C.

----------------------------------------

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Tough ask to take a discount so the team can pay Campbell a couple million a year not to play, or bonus overages for Connor Brown last year, or Nurse at 9.5..

If they end up not winning with McD/Drai at 21M through their 20s, I'm not sure what the plan would be paying them 29M through their 30s.
I don't think the team have a choice. McJesus will not take a discount if Drycycle doesn't.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Has there been anything tangible suggesting he was going to Carolina?
Absolutely not. That was pure speculation disguised as fact.
I'd be interested in Sillinger. He's still young, and has room to grow his game. We could use a C.... I'd be surprised if he was a 2C though... I think his ceiling is 3C.
Corey Pronman at the Athletic had the same valuation in the top U23 players article.

Reactions: Fogelhund

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They we can recyle the Jason Allison comments.

Is that a win-win or a win-lose?
Jason Alliston might of been the slowest skater in the league, but he was pretty effective for being a pylon, at least during his time with LA……….

Looks like the last time he played full time C was in 22/23 in SJ. Coincidentally that was his best season offensively.
If he can play C maybe he’s a better fit for the fourth line if they intend to use Reeves there, just need another winger with bite and you got yourself a pretty goonie fourth line………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Don't worry, Matty will demand 8 on his next deal. Once a shorter deal is no longer financially advantageous.
So far he’s played the Leafs like a fiddle, if you look closely you’ll see rosin on Dubas’ and Tre’s chest………

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the leafs could turn Kampf + prospects into a 2/3 C to center Robertson and Nylander, then the leafs would have 3 pairs of 2 that could all score 60+ goals

1. Matthews + Domi - 70-80 goals
2. Robertson + Nylander - 70 goals
3. Tavares + Marner - 60 goals

We just need a 3C for Nylander and Robertson and this teams top 9 is utterly insane

Knies Matthews Domi
Robertson _____ Nylander
McMann Tavares Marner
Dewar Holmberg Jarnkrok

You’d need prime Bob Gainey at 2C to make Nylander AND Robertson work.

Reactions: jaric1862

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Tampa’s bottom 6 was brutal last year. Eyssimont was the only regular player that won his minutes.

Boston wins because they have great goaltending and good defense. Their bottom 6 is also mores skilled than the Leafs. Geekie and Frederic are more skilled than any forward the Leafs have after their top 6 unless you still count Robertson as a Leaf.

Honestly i not sure Geekie is a really player than Holmberg ( for me hes overrated) and anyway Geekie looking more like a Boston top 6 foward rhan a bottom 6. Geekie scored 41% of his pts playing with Pastrnak ( team high at 5v5 and on pp)... Not really what i called a bottom 6 player. top boston 6 right now without any change would be pastrnak, marchand, lindholm, coyle, zacha and Geekie.

So right now Boston bottom 6 is frederick, poitras, brazeau, beecher, jones, kastelic ( from dailyfaceoff) vs holmberg, mcmann, jarnkrok, kampf, dewar, reaves... sorry you cant say Boston bottom 6 is better when basically 83% of Boston bottom 6 would struggling to get a spot in the leafs line up...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad