Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
One of the areas our team needs to get better at, is team speed. JvR is incredibly slow at this point.

To me... the checklist is... can they put up many points, without being a defensive liability - JvR fails there.
Do they bring any physicality - JvR... no
Do they bring speed. - JvR no.

I mean, it's gotta be some combo of at least two of those...

Then we can recycle the Jason Allison comments.

Is that a win-win or a win-lose?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocker13 and rumman

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I honestly wouldn’t mind if they kept two 2nds going into the draft next year. If you look back at the past 2 drafts both Cowan and Danford were projected as mid 2nd round picks but the Leafs took both in the 1st round because they didn’t have 2nd round picks. There’s a good chance they end up with a prospect they would have taken with their own 1st round pick if they draft in the 2nd (although having FLA and CAR 2nds your probably picking in the late 50s).

Cowan and Danford are both examples of guys three or four years away from draft date to making an impact date. Picks in the late 50's don't work with what I think their window is.

Reactions: Americanadian

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It’s a PTO. I’m not even sure how we leap to the conclusion he’d be a Kampf replacement. He’s not a PK guy, isn’t near as productive, doesn’t play matchup. Normally play less minutes and isn’t as good at C.
I still see Kampf as the logical player to go. Lorentz does have a history of playing 4C/LW and PK (2022-23). The Leafs also have Dewar and Homberg that play 4C/LW and PK.

I'm not saying Lorentz is as good as Kampf. I am saying that league minimum on Lorentz would be better value than 2.4M on Kampf. Kampf was barely a replacement player last year.

Reactions: LeafChief

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I still see Kampf as the logical player to go. Lorentz does have a history of playing 4C/LW and PK (2022-23). The Leafs also have Dewar and Homberg that play 4C/LW and PK.

I'm not saying Lorentz is as good as Kampf. I am saying that league minimum on Lorentz would be better value than 2.4M on Kampf. Kampf was barely a replacement player last year.
Yeah just how like Lafferty was traded right before the season began, I can see the same for Kampf

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

In this case, no it wouldn't, and it wouldn't even be close. That's a terrible take, and can only be explained by... I just hate Kampf, and would prefer an actual pylon on the ice.

Yes, Lorentz played some 4C... and was terrible at it.

A team who really isn't that deep at C... is going to get rid of their best defensive C... for a sub replacement level guy... please make this stop. Is there any logic left in this world at all?

In this case, Lorentz isn't even better than a number of our Marlies. He's basically just a tall guy. He'll have to play lights out to even get any contract... but a Kampf replacement... that's some damn good comedy.

I saw this online... a less physical, less productive Reaves... in terms of skill . :laugh:

Reaves had 4-2-6 in 49 GP / 398 min last year
Lorentz had 1-2-3 in 38 GP / 334 min last year

Ya.. that would make the team better. :laugh:

Reactions: 1specter

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
In this case, no it wouldn't, and it wouldn't even be close. That's a terrible take, and can only be explained by... I just hate Kampf, and would prefer an actual pylon on the ice.

Yes, Lorentz played some 4C... and was terrible at it.

A team who really isn't that deep at C... is going to get rid of their best defensive C... for a sub replacement level guy... please make this stop. Is there any logic left in this world at all?

In this case, Lorentz isn't even better than a number of our Marlies. He's basically just a tall guy. He'll have to play lights out to even get any contract... but a Kampf replacement... that's some damn good comedy.
This seems extremely dramatic. Usually you aren't the dramatic one on these boards.

I don't see the logic in keeping a replacement level center who has 3 years remaining at 2.4M if they can get off him for free. He's been in Toronto for three seasons. It's very clear that his results are entirely dependent on his wingers. For 2.4M I'd expect a 4th liner that drives the line and provides positive value on the PK - which Kampf does not.

To be fair - the more I dig into Lorentz' numbers the less I like the player. It doesn't change my view of Kampf.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This seems extremely dramatic. Usually you aren't the dramatic one on these boards.

I don't see the logic in keeping a replacement level center who has 3 years remaining at 2.4M if they can get off him for free. He's been in Toronto for three seasons. It's very clear that his results are entirely dependent on his wingers. For 2.4M I'd expect a 4th liner that drives the line and provides positive value on the PK - which Kampf does not.

To be fair - the more I dig into Lorentz' numbers the less I like the player. It doesn't change my view of Kampf.

You would think they would have someone in house who could play 7 minutes a night.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Leo will be 30 when the contract starts, an 8 year deal is to his advantages in this case. I'm sure the Oil would have preferred a 5 year deal.
Maybe, but I like to see this as a commitment from both the team and the player, which builds trust between the player, organization, and fans

I’m sick of hearing the core say “we love it here, never wanna be anywhere else”, only to fight tooth and nail for every penny on lucrative unseen contracts

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I saw this online... a less physical, less productive Reaves... in terms of skill . :laugh:

Reaves had 4-2-6 in 49 GP / 398 min last year
Lorentz had 1-2-3 in 38 GP / 334 min last year

Ya.. that would make the team better. :laugh:
I see you keep adding to the post.

I never said Lorentz is better than Kampf.

He is one year removed from playing full time C, with 10 goals, 19 points and regular PK minutes.

His underlying numbers do make me believe that year was an aberration now.

Still doesn't change my view on Kampf.

Reactions: OVO16

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Doesn't matter if Kampf is better than Lorentz or not, Kampf is a easily replaceable player. He brings nothing to the table outside of Facefoffs. Marginal difference between he two at best.

But the main issue is cost, and Kampf at 2.4MAAV is a waste on the 4th line. Fore example, you can replace that with a Lorentz ($775AAV) and a Paccioretty ($1.2M AAV) and still have some money left over.

Makes our team more deeper. But if Lorentz is ass in pre-season, no need to sign him to a contract

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I see you keep adding to the post.

I never said Lorentz is better than Kampf.

He is one year removed from playing full time C, with 10 goals, 19 points and regular PK minutes.

His underlying numbers do make me believe that year was an aberration now.

Still doesn't change my view on Kampf.
For San Jose.... a team made up of mostly AHL level players at the time. It's like the year Bozak was our top C..... When he's your 4C, you aren't a good team.

I'd love to replace Kampf... no issues there, but it has to net make the team better, and this isn't it. You did say this was possibly a Kampf replacement... and in no way is that a possibility.

In that one year removed from 19 points, his team scored at a rate of 1.6GF/60 and gave up 3.0GA/60 while on the ice... he's just not very good.

It's a PTO... odds are heavily stacked against him actually getting any contract, and if he does, he'll be sent down to the Marlies, and be injury replacement if we get desperate, and no Marlies steps forward.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Anyone who plays 16/24 games in the playoffs for the Stanley Cup winning team of the year prior is definitely not just a fart in the wind player. Clearly this is a player that can be trusted to some degree.

I don't necessarily see him as a Kampf replacement should we decide to move David, but I definitely think he would be a valuable signing should he earn an SPC

The guy has a ring, and he was every bit a part of making that happen.

Reactions: OVO16

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Anyone who plays 16/24 games in the playoffs for the Stanley Cup winning team of the year prior is definitely not just a fart in the wind player. Clearly this is a player that can be trusted to some degree.

I don't necessarily see him as a Kampf replacement should we decide to move David, but I definitely think he would be a valuable signing should he earn an SPC

The guy has a ring, and he was every bit a part of making that happen.
Florida fans in the main board says Lorentz was the only guy who did anything on their 4th line and was their best player on that line by a considerable margin in the playoffs

Reactions: Twine Tickler

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Florida fans in the main board says Lorentz was the only guy who did anything on their 4th line and was their best player on that line by a considerable margin in the playoffs
Wonder why they wouldn't look to bring him back?

Reactions: ULF_55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad