Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
He was involved in scrums and whatever but he was on his ass everytime he was touched around the net. He could not stay on his skates. I wouldn't call him soft because he was blocking shots and getting involved but hardly a tough player.

His name I think puts some subconscious toughness attached to his name. If he was Joe Nylander not sure he'd be seen the same.
It’s the hair, missing tooth and last name that give him his false reputation.

He did have 1 fight last year which is more than most Leafs but it was only his 3rd in the last 5 seasons.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

Kubalik's skill was he had a great one timer. If nobody was feeding him, he is pretty much just doing cardio on the ice.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So would this work?

1. Knies - Matthews - Domi
  2. McMann - Tavares - Nylander
  3. Kubalik - Holmberg - marner

I like those lines... just about as much as I'd like them if Robertson was in the Kubalik spot. They make sense all around and Kubalik is interchangeable there with a few names.

Reactions: zoA and ULF_55

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I like those lines... just about as much as I'd like them if Robertson was in the Kubalik spot. They make sense all around and Kubalik is interchangeable there with a few names.
Unfortunately I don't find Nylander and Tavares to have great chemistry. I'd rather have marner with tavares and Nylander as the main man on the 3rd line with Holmberg and Robertson/Grebyonkin

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Unfortunately I don't find Nylander and Tavares to have great chemistry. I'd rather have marner with tavares and Nylander as the main man on the 3rd line with Holmberg and Robertson/Grebyonkin
There is logic in what this man is saying for sure. Both Tavares, and Nylander seem to be better separate, than when together.

That being said, Marner with Holmberg/Robertson/Kubalik helps with Marner being the defensive conscious of otherwise weaker defensive players. Nylander together is another guy who isn't the best defensively.

So I can see both sides here.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
There is logic in what this man is saying for sure. Both Tavares, and Nylander seem to be better separate, than when together.

That being said, Marner with Holmberg/Robertson/Kubalik helps with Marner being the defensive conscious of otherwise weaker defensive players. Nylander together is another guy who isn't the best defensively.

Holmberg is pretty solid defensively

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I haven't been a Holmberg booster previously, but he stood out for me in the playoffs against the Bruins.

He played strong and showed a mean-streak that I hadn't seen before.

He's one guy I am watching. I can't think of a better coach than Berube to help Holmberg find his inner d-bag.

I want to see him get a consistent opportunity to play and nail his spot down. He's earned it.

Robertson, man, I don't know what he's thinking. This should be the opportunity that he's waiting for all this time. He and Liljegren should be the 2 guys most horny to get into camp and show Berube what they can do.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I haven't been a Holmberg booster previously, but he stood out for me in the playoffs against the Bruins.

He's one guy I am watching. I can't think of a better coach than Berube to help Holmberg find his inner d-bag.

I want to see him get a consistent opportunity to play and nail his spot down. He's earned it.

Robertson, man, I don't know what he's thinking. This should be the opportunity that he's waiting for all this time. He and Liljegren should be the 2 guys most horny to get into camp and show Berube what they can do.
I'm extremely high on Holmberg personally. Last years playoffs I felt he was one of our better forwards in that series. He's sound defensively and when given the opportunity with offensive players, he's shown that he's capable of putting up some points as well. To me, he's our 3rd line center, now and in the future. I personally would love 3 solid lines. If we end up signing Patches. I'd roll with,

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Patches-Tavares-Marner
Mcmann-Holmberg-Nylander
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Reaves

Ideally we move on from Kampf, Jarnkrok, Reaves and Robertson, as that's way too much cap for a 4th line. If Lorentz shows well in camp, he replaces Kampf as 4th line center. With plenty of options to take that 4th line rw position.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

He still seemed to give you more at wing offensively IMO.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I'm extremely high on Holmberg personally. Last years playoffs I felt he was one of our better forwards in that series. He's sound defensively and when given the opportunity with offensive players, he's shown that he's capable of putting up some points as well. To me, he's our 3rd line center, now and in the future. I personally would love 3 solid lines. If we end up signing Patches. I'd roll with,

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Patches-Tavares-Marner
Mcmann-Holmberg-Nylander
Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok
Reaves

Ideally we move on from Kampf, Jarnkrok, Reaves and Robertson, as that's way too much cap for a 4th line. If Lorentz shows well in camp, he replaces Kampf as 4th line center. With plenty of options to take that 4th line rw position.
In general, I agree with the post and am also a Holmberg watcher this year. I think he can centre a top three line. You called it 3C but it might really be a 2A/2B situation. Nylander and McMann could score 60 to 70 goals. Maybe Holmberg is good for 15 or so. That's an 80 goal line. I guess Patches (who I am not sure about), JT and Marner could be 80 goals too.

If there are 48 ES minutes a night, how would you distribute the minutes across the top three?

Matthews line: 15 minutes
Tavares line: 13.5 minutes
Holmberg line: 13.5 minutes

Can you really play either of Marner or Nylander less than this at ES.

As for Kampf, Jarnkrok, et al...I agree with letting them move on, but why now? They are overpaid, but useful fourth liners. The time to move on might have been in the off-season when we could have spent their cap space on players to build a new fourth line. That window opens again next July. I don't know we trade them and improve in season. Jarnkrok could be useful in the top nine also, maybe with Holmberg and Nylander. McMann, Tavares, and Marner could be strong line too.

Reactions: Fogelhund

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Completely agree on this... the challenge, is that if we look at all the history of Sheldon Keefe, he has always shyed away from splitting them onto 3 lines. I'm sure the analytics say "these guys are your best, don't dilute their ice time"; but I fear that approach is what creates the problem of "too many passengers that the Leafs have".

As for how to split them, therein lies the challenge. To me the #1 line is Knies-Matthews-Domi -- done.

As a 2nd line, I like the idea of McMann-Tavares-Marner.... a solid primary forechecker in McMann, a centre who's solid in the dirty areas of the ice, and Marner's creativity.

That leaves William Nylander as the odd man out... and I guess the logical approach there would be Jarnkrok and Holmberg; but it is kind of leaving him on a bit of an island skill-wise.

If the Leafs have Robertson, I think you'd have to like the idea of Robertson-Minten-Marner; but then you're back to putting Nylander with Tavares.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have any legs to stand on when demanding a trade / refusing to sign a contract..

So maybe the circus is actually for him?!?!
Could be Europe bound, if he really us tired of the clown show……..

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hear me out…

Monahan

1. Columbus is already below the Salary Cap floor. Moving Monahan would make their situation worse.

2. Monahan has a pretty long injury history, and up until last season, wasn't reliable to stay in the lineup.

3. I'd be concerned about where his head is right now. Gaudreau was "one of his best friends", and that loss likely will weigh heavy on him.

Seems like a gamble, and I'm not sure Columbus can move him right now cap wise anyway. They also are short on developed C's, so positionally they can't afford to move him, until such time as their young guys and prospects develop enough to play that spot full time.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Could be Europe bound, if he really us tired of the clown show……..
What a terrible choice that would be, hamper your own development to play in a lesser league because you don't want to play for Toronto and have 0 leverage..

His agent needs to talk some sense into Robertson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad