Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like Holmberg, but it seems he needs to play in the top 6 as a winger to be effective. But then that leads to his consistency problems. If he could make a big jump in his faceoff percentage, then I would be okay with him replacing Kampf as our 4C. But trading Kampf without having to retain salary or take back a bad contract will be extremely, if not impossible, thing to do.

I don't think he needs to play top 6 minutes to be effective. He's reliable defensively, he's greasy and can make plays. He's not the fastest or the most skilled, but he has enough IQ/ability to play efficient lower end minutes as a center but I don't disagree he's probably more of a winger in a perfect world. Typically Matthews, Tavares and Kampf will take a lot of the important draws anyway.

Reactions: arso40

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
At least we can look forward to Shanahan getting fired this year and Marner walking and hopefully can put this decade of failure behind us after this year. Should've cut losses two years back. Incredibly predictable result last year as well as the upcoming one. We waited too long and now we're spinning tires. I really admire Florida being bold and trading their actual 100 point winger + a monster top 4 RD, and a 1st round pick to shake up a team that just won a presidents trophy. Meanwhile we're so pleased with our round 1 win 2 playoffs ago that we have dilusions of grandeur. I just want the team to be good. We're basically floating solidly above average and could possibly place 2nd instead of 3rd in our own division.
If they don't trade Mitch he certainly isn't walking unless he finds a club willing to pay him over $12M UFA which still might not be enough in the absence of an 8th year. If they wont try to deal him because they need to win a trade, how do they win if he is gone for nothing? If they knew they were getting Theodore and Konecny or something close then the own rental and free cap space works but they could end up with MM being the only game in town. I am at maybe a 20% chance he is dealt before the season, 70% he plays and is re-signed, and 10% he walks and they use the free cap on whatever scraps are available to them in the market. And he walks only because he wants more than $12M and they have a consolation player to sign as a UFA.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If they don't trade Mitch he certainly isn't walking unless he finds a club willing to pay him over $12M UFA which still might not be enough in the absence of an 8th year. If they wont try to deal him because they need to win a trade, how do they win if he is gone for nothing? If they knew they were getting Theodore and Konecny or something close then the own rental and free cap space works but they could end up with MM being the only game in town. I am at maybe a 20% chance he is dealt before the season, 70% he plays and is re-signed, and 10% he walks and they use the free cap on whatever scraps are available to them in the market. And he walks only because he wants more than $12M and they have a consolation player to sign as a UFA.
There are posters here who believe that there will be 31 other teams lined up to pay him $12M+ as a UFA. I'm just hoping there is at least one.

Or alternately, that nobody offers more than $10M, so at worst we could get him for that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Barzal returned to an 80 point level (which is still not close to Marner) this past season because he played more minutes, and picked up a bunch of points at 3v3 and 6v5. It didn't really have anything to do with Horvat or Trotz (who left 2 seasons ago). In fact, this was Barzal's worst year of his career producing at 5v5. Barzal's lack of production is on him, not anybody else. He's just not in the same tier offensively or defensively as somebody like Marner.

The only one that was overpaid is Nylander on his current contract. The only one that was given an uncommon term was Matthews on his current contract, though there is still precedent for contracts like that.

Since 2018, Marner's never been away from an $11 million centerman, so we really don't know what kind of standalone offensive player he, is or what kind of statistical impact he would experience being on a team like the Islanders.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think I would prefer to move on from Dewar and sign one of the remaining UFA wingers on the cheap.

Dewar does seem like the kind of player who the Marlies should be producing and not a guy to re-sign to a comfortable contract.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For that price the Leafs should have been in on him.

Rather Holtz than Robertson. Gives a pretty good idea of what Robertson is worth I guess. I think Holtz has more trade value and he just got traded for a chump and a middling pick.

If that's all Holtz got then Robertson gets you sweet eff all.

Holtz is a nice reclamation for Vegas. Still has the pedigree, four years out from being a Top 10 pick and scored 16 goals last year.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Man our bottom 6 projections are bleak as f***

Jarnkrok, reeves, Kampf, Holmberg thats four guys that combined are unlikely to score 1 goal between them in a playoff series that goes to 7

Robertson + McMann are where we are banking our hopes for offense from but both are unproven overall and playoffs have little to no production history

The core 4 + domi and knies will need to deliver almost all our offense which is a big ask if the core 4 were capabpe players of performing. They fall off heavy come playoffs, and with a disastourous bottom 6 it becomes hard to imagine any grinding hero to win us a few games in a series like other teams have seen from their depth players.

Hope we can add Sprong at 2-3M and then deal for a 3C at the deadline next year to make the teams forward group look more passable

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Holtz is a nice reclamation for Vegas. Still has the pedigree, four years out from being a Top 10 pick and scored 16 goals last year.

Like Robertson here, Holtz never really got a fair shake in Jersey.

I'm not surprised they traded him. Smart pick up by Vegas. Cost controlled proven middle six winger with pedigree and plenty of upside.

It's stuff like this why Vegas remains among the best run organizations in the league.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It’s a coinflip on whether they’re running an all-time uniquely offense-phobic system or they just don’t have any good offensive players. Personally I don’t think Horvat and Barzal have any business being your #1 offensive threat, if you’re a playoff team they have a tough argument for being your #2 offensive threat. Horvat is just a shooter and Barzal is just a passer, they don’t have a well rounded enough game to even be a legitimate #2 on a contender the way that a Rantanen, Nylander, Draisaitl, Miller/Pettersson, etc is.
Draisaitl is a tier ahead of rantanen on your list

Rantanen is a tier ahead of the other guys

Nylander, Pettersson, Miller arent #2 on a contender they are 3-6 role type players. Nylander has never shown the ability to go put 9-10 pts in a playoff series like Rantanen usually does or 11-13 pts in a series like Draisaitl has done

Barzal is same tier as the 3 other guys with him being 3rd to 6th best player on a cup team, he is a player with a glaring flaw in his overpassing tendancy and that impacts his ability to generate offense and goals. He plays to much like Marner without the peak upside type plays we see once in a while

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
There are rumors money wants over 10 million a year
I’d rather keep Mitch

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
There are posters here who believe that there will be 31 other teams lined up to pay him $12M+ as a UFA. I'm just hoping there is at least one.

Or alternately, that nobody offers more than $10M, so at worst we could get him for that.

I think there absolutely are teams who would sign Marner at $12 million. It depends on if Marner wants to take a long deal or a short. If he only wants a 4 year deal and bank on one final retirement deal it wont matter. If he wants max term/dollars if the Leafs offer him the Nylander deal, another team would have to offer him the equivalent of $13+ million. I dont think a teams gives him $13 million as a ufa.

Jarnkrok, reeves, Kampf, Holmberg thats four guys that combined are unlikely to score 1 goal between them in a playoff series that goes to 7

Robertson + McMann are where we are banking our hopes for offense from but both are unproven overall and playoffs have little to no production history

The core 4 + domi and knies will need to deliver almost all our offense which is a big ask if the core 4 were capabpe players of performing. They fall off heavy come playoffs, and with a disastourous bottom 6 it becomes hard to imagine any grinding hero to win us a few games in a series like other teams have seen from their depth players.

Hope we can add Sprong at 2-3M and then deal for a 3C at the deadline next year to make the teams forward group look more passable
I think Tyler Johnson is our guy.

Mcmann. Johnson. Jarnkrok
Holmberg. Kampf. Dewar
Reaves.

Maybe at deadline see if we can make a trade to upgrade on of them.

Reactions: hamzarocks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I think there absolutely are teams who would sign Marner at $12 million. It depends on if Marner wants to take a long deal or a short. If he only wants a 4 year deal and bank on one final retirement deal it wont matter. If he wants max term/dollars if the Leafs offer him the Nylander deal, another team would have to offer him the equivalent of $13+ million. I dont think a teams gives him $13 million as a ufa.

Holmberg. Kampf. Dewar
Reaves.

Hopefully Grebenkyn dominates the AHL at a ppg pace and is up by game 50-60. Hed be a crazy good add if he somehow was able to live up to blossming potential

If he becomes a smarter and more consistent kapanen (20-25 goals and 45-50 pts) that would be a great add for our middle 6

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Hopefully Grebenkyn dominates the AHL at a ppg pace and is up by game 50-60. Hed be a crazy good add if he somehow was able to live up to blossming potential

If he becomes a smarter and more consistent kapanen (20-25 goals and 45-50 pts) that would be a great add for our middle 6
Thats what we are missing and need desperately. Some home grown players who are on entry level contracts and can contribute right away.

If him and Cowan as an example can contribute that would really be helpful.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Holmberg. Kampf. Dewar
Reaves.

Signing Tyler Johnson at this point seems to make a lot of sense. League minimum, another C, provides some offense... not the ideal guy to add, but he seems to be the best option left.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Look at Yzerman! look at how long it took him to break through. You know why people still reference Yzerman with all that? Because hes the exception, not the norm, and people can never think of another example because it rarely happens.

Huberdeau had 21 points in 25 playoff games and that wasnt good enough for them (nearly similar ppg as Marner). Yet all i see is people constantly posting Marner's playoff stats and pretending hes amazing in the playoffs cause look at the ppg!

We could ask the question whether Yzerman really broke out, or if Fedorov and Lidstrom came of age where they became the horses and Yzerman was pulled along with them?

I'd like to see a similar transformation on the Leafs, for their "star" players, but who are their Fedorov and Lidstrom candidates?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Is that you Ferris? (JK). I'll bet that is exactly how the Marner camp is thinking and are banking onthe Leafs caving because they do not have the stomach to let him walk for nothing. Tre needs to wait to see Marner's and the team's playoff performance or he will be duped by both Nylander and Marner. I'll be calling for his head at that point.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

That's why I've been saying for months that our #1 priority should be finding an affordable middle 6 center (likely somebody retained or on an ELC) that can play with Knies and Nylander, allowing Tavares to move down into a scoring role on the 3rd line. We need some lineup balance. I'd move Kamp and Jarnkrok (don't really care about the return to make the cap space happen. An ideal roster for me would be...

Trade Kampf ($2.4 million cap hit)
Trade Jarnkrok ($2.1 million cap hit)

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Addition-Nylander
Robertson-Tavares-McMann
Dewar-Holmberg-Grebyonkin

I'm not saying it would easy to get a Kadri, Colton, Bjustad, Hayton or Gourde, but that's 100% the range if player I'd be after. Nylander will carry the line. Knies will do the dirty work and keep developing. We just need a center that can score and facilitate for Nylander. A 50+ point guy that can push Tavares down into a scoring role on the 3rd line.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Is that you Ferris? (JK). I'll bet that is exactly how the Marner camp is thinking and are banking onthe Leafs caving because they do not have the stomach to let him walk for nothing. Tre needs to wait to see Marner's and the team's playoff performance or he will be duped by both Nylander and Marner. I'll be calling for his head at that point.
IMO, if they aren't going to trade him, they need to extend him before the season. Waiting until after the playoff performance, and then running the risk of losing him for nothing is the bigger fireable offense to me.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Draisaitl is a tier ahead of rantanen on your list

Rantanen is a tier ahead of the other guys

Nylander, Pettersson, Miller arent #2 on a contender they are 3-6 role type players. Nylander has never shown the ability to go put 9-10 pts in a playoff series like Rantanen usually does or 11-13 pts in a series like Draisaitl has done

Barzal is same tier as the 3 other guys with him being 3rd to 6th best player on a cup team, he is a player with a glaring flaw in his overpassing tendancy and that impacts his ability to generate offense and goals. He plays to much like Marner without the peak upside type plays we see once in a while

1721497980683.png

1721497865432.png

1721497652980.png

1721497722653.png

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That's why I've been saying for months that our #1 priority should be finding an affordable middle 6 center (likely somebody retained or on an ELC) that can play with Knies and Nylander, allowing Tavares to move down into a scoring role on the 3rd line. We need some lineup balance. I'd move Kamp and Jarnkrok (don't really care about the return to make the cap space happen. An ideal roster for me would be...

Trade Kampf ($2.4 million cap hit)
Trade Jarnkrok ($2.1 million cap hit)

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Addition-Nylander
Robertson-Tavares-McMann
Dewar-Holmberg-Grebyonkin

I'm not saying it would easy to get a Kadri, Colton, Bjustad, Hayton or Gourde, but that's 100% the range if player I'd be after. Nylander will carry the line. Knies will do the dirty work and keep developing. We just need a center that can score and facilitate for Nylander. A 50+ point guy that can push Tavares down into a scoring role on the 3rd line.
Maybe ideal, but these guys aren't available right now.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
We could ask the question whether Yzerman really broke out, or if Fedorov and Lidstrom came of age where they became the horses and Yzerman was pulled along with them?

I'd like to see a similar transformation on the Leafs, for their "star" players, but who are their Fedorov and Lidstrom candidates?
The Yzerman one is interesting for those that want to believe there is still lots of time for Marner to change his narrative and his legacy. I remember the Yzerman era and I remember that he was considered a playoff disappointment before his Red Wings finally one a cup. He was considered a playoff choker and a guy who could not bring his game when it mattered.

Of course, he went on to captain a dynasty and to be considered one of the great all time leaders in the game. He was definitely considered a winner. I checked the playoff stats recently and saw that he scored at well above a ppg in this first several seasons. For a moment, I thought I misremembered things, maybe he wasn't considered a playoff "bust". He was scoring points and the team wasn't winning. I compared his stats to Marner's and saw that Marner was below a ppg in his playoff career.

...then I added context.

As we all know Stevie Y played in a higher scoring era, much higher. So, I adjusted for era:

In Yzerman's first ten NHL seasons (the time it took to reach 56 playoff games):
  • Points per game, regular season: 1.54
  • Points per game, playoffs: 1.18
  • Playoff production drop: 23%
In Marner's first eight NHL seasons (the time to 57 playoff games):
  • Points per game, regular season: 1.10
  • Points per game, playoffs: 0.86
  • Playoff production drop: 22%
...people can argue that Marner is getting just below a ppg in the playoffs and that's hard to do, so he is not exactly disappearing. He is however, delivering at well below his regular season levels. Yes, scoring drops in the playoffs, but not at the rate at which these two specific players saw a drop. In Marner's career, playoff scoring is about 5% lower than regular season and I am not sure what it was in Yzerman's early career days but we can assume it was not 23%. Both players delivered less in the playoffs than they did in the regular season.

More context?

Yzerman is referred to by many as "Captain Clutch" and his name is up there with Messier and Sakic as the greatest leaders of the era and perhaps all time. We already know that his scoring dropped in the playoffs, what about in the biggest games? Did he show up "clutch" then?

Yzerman in game 7's (in his first ten years)
  • 4 gp
  • 2 points
That's a half a point per game and a negative +/-

Marner's game 7's
  • 6 gp
  • 2 points
Worse, but neither player was good in those situations and one was the captain and team's best player.

The net of all of this? If you want to believe Marner can grow and develop and change his narrative and legacy, then Yzerman is a great precedent case study.

The Yzerman story is the case for patience, it wasn't until Yzerman's 14th season that he won his first cup.

I am in the "trade Marner" camp, but only in a deal that makes us better (return and cap space) and not one who thinks we dump him in a bad deal.

The other factor of course was that Yzerman played in the pre-cap era. Keeping him around did not come at the direct expense of adding to the roster around him and this is the case for moving Marner. There is an opportunity cost, if we pay MM too much we can't improve the team...there is a cap of course.

Last edited:

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
I don't think he needs to play top 6 minutes to be effective. He's reliable defensively, he's greasy and can make plays. He's not the fastest or the most skilled, but he has enough IQ/ability to play efficient lower end minutes as a center but I don't disagree he's probably more of a winger in a perfect world. Typically Matthews, Tavares and Kampf will take a lot of the important draws anyway.
Hopefully he can improve on his faceoff percentage too, or maybe last year was just a one time thing.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad