Votes: 26 54.2%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Does Pittsburgh have interest in Nick Robertson now that wes clark and dubas are both there?

What could a potential trade look like?

I'd be interested in some sort of deal around Drew O'Connor. He's older, a pending UFA but he's got size and speed -- similar to McMann. I suggested Robertson and Timmins for O'Connor and maybe a pick or something. Penguins get younger and more potential, where the Leafs get a more rounded player that fits a little more what they need right now.

Outside of that, I don't see many fits with them.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Greed... Marner knows the Leafs have the linemates for him to produce and the cap will likely go up next offseason. He also has his Toronto endorsements and his charity/tax write off, which employ his family as well. Also his value is at an all time low... he can work this season to rebuild it...wear his heart on his sleeve for one season and really cash out, before avoiding contact again afterwards.

Its more profitable for him to wait.

I’m really excited for that thesis to collide with Berube. Redemption tour Marner except he’s not allowed to drop pass or dipsy doodle at the blueline, he has to take straight lines into high traffic areas and take hits to make plays. I suspect his sense of self preservation curb stomps his sense of pride by December.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
I don't think the Leafs can actually put pressure on him in a way that is going to be helpful. That's the problem. Do you have an example of what putting the pressure would look like? And how would that reflect to other players throughout the league?
Put him on the fourth line..period..we are not obligated to play somebody that has this attitude

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
For everyone saying that letting Marner walk for nothing is okay to reallocate the cap. On what? Do we know if there is going to be players that solve our problems?
If he leaves for nothing I think it's blow up time.

I understand what you’re saying with the first part, but the last is the nuclear option. We are absolutely not blowing up the team because Marner leaves in free agency.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
For everyone saying that letting Marner walk for nothing is okay to reallocate the cap. On what? Do we know if there is going to be players that solve our problems?
If he leaves for nothing I think it's blow up time.

Exactly.

If it was that easy, all the cap floor teams will become cup contenders in one off season with all that cap space they have from not having marners and nylanders.

Cap space is so over rated. Prioritize talent, worry about cap later.

Reactions: Da Mash and arso40

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Put him on the fourth line..period..we are not obligated to play somebody that has this attitude
You're never obligated to play anyone but punishing someone because they want to be part of the team is pretty dumb.
Should that be reserved for the Robertson's who don't want to be here?

Reactions: Da Mash

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Still rooting for a Nylander Brothers reunion in Toronto this fall. The guy is still young enough to be a reclamation and has some offensive skills you can get cheap. He played in Mississauga so has lived in Toronto.
isn't one Nylander enough?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So we just accept wasting Matthews’ career because we can’t make a tough decision on Marner?
34 doesn't need 16 to ruin his career, guy does just fine by himself. #$ could be the second best player in the league if he ever grows up and takes every game seriously............

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
34 doesn't need 16 to ruin his career, guy does just fine by himself. #$ could be the second best player in the league if he ever grows up and takes every game seriously............

What an absolutely ridiculous comment suggesting that he doesn’t. Join us in reality or no one whatsoever will value anything you have to say.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Too many people here have convinced themselves trading Marner clears the way to solve the Leafs problems and success. Marner is a damn good player. It’s not even a certainty that trading him is smart at all, let alone the obvious right path.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If the leafs sign Hakanpaa after the season starts, wouldn't the cap hit be smaller.

Maybe they have a deal to work out his treatment and rehab and in return he gives some of his 24-25 salary.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What an absolutely ridiculous comment suggesting that he doesn’t. Join us in reality or no one whatsoever will value anything you have to say.
if you can't admit 34 mails it in on a regular basis then no one will value anything you say, if that's your goal here.............

• Haha
Reactions: WillNy29

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Too many people here have convinced themselves trading Marner clears the way to solve the Leafs problems and success. Marner is a damn good player. It’s not even a certainty that trading him is smart at all, let alone the obvious right path.

I’ve started warming up to keeping him and I’m very anti Marner.

Just don’t see many trade packages that would interest me in trading him.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Carolina- Necas, Nikishin(if he plans on coming over here) and their 1st round pick.
Mentioned it before but Nikishin is the dream target. Significant pro experience for his age in the 2nd best league, more NHL ready than a typical rookie, and an extremely high ceiling as a jack of all trades minute muncher. You wouldn't be waiting as long for him to impact a blueline like you would with a CHL graduate.

But that proposal is extremely rich from Carolina. I could see Marner for Necas + as a logical base, but CAR views Nikishin very highly as a potential top pair D prospect. I'd be willing to add to bridge the gap.

Necas beside Matthews/Tavares would make for 2/3 of a heavy north-south line.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
isn't one Nylander enough?
we got a rw hole he can easily fill jarnkrok should be on your matchup line not a scoring line in my opinion

who?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I understand what you’re saying with the first part, but the last is the nuclear option. We are absolutely not blowing up the team because Marner leaves in free agency.
We may not have a choice. If we're stupid enough to let Marner walk in FA, it solidifies that we have an idiot for GM and President, Matthews probably wants out of this exploding mess as soon as possible, and we're certainly not going to win anything with Nylander as our best player.

• Haha
Reactions: Jozay

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I agree that many have convinced themselves of this. I don't think we could just dump Marner and get better, or let him walk as a FA.

There are trade scenarios that could make us better however those would have some with cap space for us to spend on FA's. It's hard to imagine how we get better if we trade Marner now. We have nothing to spend the space on.

I was intrigued by Marner for Wright, Oleksiak and a pick because it would have come with $6M in space also. If we spend that money on Lindholm or Skjei or even Stamkos we might be improved. It would also shake things up with Mitch out and I do believe we need a change. Perhaps Berube is enough?

I would consider Necas + Nikishin right now, but I think we lose that one short term to maybe win it long term.

Reactions: Sypher04

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Someone somewhere online was mentioning a deal with Calgary centred around Blake Coleman…

I think they mentioned Robertson and Lily heading the other way.
Thoughts…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad