Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

LeafsStorm

Oct 22, 2011
I had a horrible dream we traded Knies for Craig Smith and a 2nd round pick. I was freaking out and calling it the worst trade the Leafs ever made.

Wtf 😒

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Not a bad list of targets. There are always a few surprises for both buyers and sellers so it will really depend on that. It also depends on our injury situation by the deadline, where some needs can grow exponentially.

I think Brandon Tanev will be among the high list of targets, but he's a winger so it may not make sense until the off-season.

I would add Scott Laughton as a top target for center upgrades (and there has been plenty of smoke the Leafs interest in him for awhile). Brock Nelson might be on the market if the Islanders don't do well and he's really good. I'd also have some interest in Jake Evans from Montreal.

For D, I think Alec Martinez might be a big time veteran. He can play both sides too. Leafs may circle back to Mario Ferarro (a lot of smoke they were in on him for a bit). I also like Savard and Borgren for RHD defensive upgrades.
If they’re trading for Gourde, expect it at American Thanksgiving.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I am not saying he is one of our six best forwards, but I would like to see him on one of our more balanced top three lines with Nylander.

Knies Matthews Marner
Holmberg Domi Nylander
Pacioretty Tavares Robertson
Lorentz Kampf McMann

Jarnkrok Dewar Reaves

Holmberg brings defensive play to a line with Domi and Nylander and he has some creativity, flare and drive that he needs to bring more consistently.

Side Note. We have to move a F or two unless someone expensive goes on the LTIR. Dewar and Jarnkrok will be back and Reaves will still need to get some games. This doesn't even consider Minten. You have to think Kampf is getting moved.
You could showcase Kampf between Pontus and Willy.
Willy can run wild, Pontus can keep up, Kampf can get some secondary points, and there’s plenty of defence and tenacity there to complement the flow
Problem is, it might be pretty good.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
You could showcase Kampf between Pontus and Willy.
Willy can run wild, Pontus can keep up, Kampf can get some secondary points, and there’s plenty of defence and tenacity there to complement the flow
Problem is, it might be pretty good.
Good idea, I don't get the impression that Berube is the "showcase" type. He already has Kampf off the prime as our PK and Liljegren in the press box

Reactions: arso40 and rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Good idea, I don't get the impression that Berube is the "showcase" type. He already has Kampf off the prime as our PK and Liljegren in the press box
Yeah, I could see friction if Tre asks Chief to play players they’re wanting to move, his mantra of players having to earn their ice time is a refreshing change, can’t make exceptions if you want it to work…….

Reactions: arso40

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Spittin' Chiclets co-host Paul "Biz Nasty" Bissonnette planting seeds about Connor McDavid and the Maple Leafs in recent social media post.​

Bissonnette has often shown himself to be a very open Leafs fan, supporting the team with every opportunity he gets. His latest post is one that should be very entertaining for Leafs Nation and not so entertaining for fans of the Oilers. Biz Nasty suggests that McDavid is simply biding his time until he can sign with the Leafs.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Spittin' Chiclets co-host Paul "Biz Nasty" Bissonnette planting seeds about Connor McDavid and the Maple Leafs in recent social media post.​

Bissonnette has often shown himself to be a very open Leafs fan, supporting the team with every opportunity he gets. His latest post is one that should be very entertaining for Leafs Nation and not so entertaining for fans of the Oilers. Biz Nasty suggests that McDavid is simply biding his time until he can sign with the Leafs.

I don’t see it happening, but would be amazing

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don’t see it happening, but would be amazing

While I suspect he will follow what LD did, but If they don't come close to repeating how far they got last year, he may opt to jump ship.

Going to be quite the shame of a career if he doesn't get a cup by his early 30s and I don't think he's going to do it in Edmonton

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
While I suspect he will follow what LD did, but If they don't come close to repeating how far they got last year, he may opt to jump ship.

Going to be quite the shame of a career if he doesn't get a cup by his early 30s and I don't think he's going to do it in Edmonton

The interesting question is do we just leave all that cap space open on the prayer that McDavid actually wants to come here. That’s gonna be a hell of a lot of money when he reaches UFA

Like, do we let JT and Marner walk and backfill them with on 1 year deals? Feels like a huge risk and putting our team on pause, so it’s hard to imagine us having the cap to add McDavid even if he wanted to come.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Leafs walk from Marner and sign McDavid instead as UFA and bring him home after these next playoffs. :)

Marner and Tavares join Edmonton for 2025-26.

Leafs win the Stanley Cup in 2025-26. :stanley: Story writes itself. :wg:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Leafs walk from Marner and sign McDavid instead as UFA and bring him home after these next playoffs. :)

Marner and Tavares join Edmonton for 2025-26.

Leafs win the Stanley Cup in 2025-26. :stanley: Story writes itself. :wg:
MCdavid is a free agent in 2025-2026 summer

If he tests the market that means it will be as a 29 going to 30 year old in the 2026-2027 season

If we let Marner and Tavares go (22M) we would have to do 1-year deals next year and keep capspace on chamce that 97 wants to come home

Could be super risky as if this season ends in R1 failure and we move from 16 and 91 and then next year we curb the season and get out in R1 again, we are halfway through 34s current 13.25M deal and only have 2 more years guaranteed with him before he needs another deal

Timing and risk of punting chances to contend during Matthews prime years in this 4 year deal are huge throw-off to getting Mcdavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad