Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I think we're going to need a 3C who's capable of playing a 2-way game, a lot of those guys you listed are limited either offensively or defensively

Yes, that type of 3C would be nice to have, it's a question of what brings us more. I look at our team (after only 3 games) and think our forwards will score and they appear bought in on D. We need to get the PP going and that will happen.

I think we are maybe one move away from an elite D unit. What is we moved some or all of Kampf, Jarnkrok and Liljegren to free up space and went out for a Parayko or Weegar type? Maybe Liljegren, Timmins, Robertson and a pick? Maybe Niemela gets included?

Reilly Tanev
McCabe Parayko/Weegar
OEL Hakanpaa
Rafai Myers

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I did say nearly ;)
Yes, you did.

I just posted elsewhere that this might be the year to consider moving assets for a top four D with term. Parayko? Weegar? We have Kampf, Jarnkrok, Liljegren (or whatever picks they get us in other trades) and guys like Robertson, Grebenkin, Timmins, Niemela, and Akhtyamov to make something happen. I want to keep Cowan, Minten, Hildeby, and Danford.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
I can see another Rask /pogge situation with

Woll hildeby and akhtyamov and now Stolarz

Who do we keep
Not room for everyone. Someone will be disgruntled with no playing time. Still early yet but could be something that pops up in the future

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

Who do we keep
Not room for everyone. Someone will be disgruntled with no playing time. Still early yet but could be something that pops up in the future
Woll making the conversation pretty easy IMO, guy can’t stay healthy.

Reactions: rumman

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

Who do we keep

By the time it becomes a potential issue, Stolarz is probably going to UFA - perhaps Hildeby fills in there if he wants too much $. Still have to see if Akhtyamov can play at the AHL level.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
adding another top 4 D would be the dream, pushes McCabe or OEL to the 3rd pair with Benoit.

2C is a glaring hole, not holding my breath we find one this season, but there should be a competent 3C out there with some offense. Other than that, we don’t need much else.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
adding another top 4 D would be the dream, pushes McCabe or OEL to the 3rd pair with Benoit.

2C is a glaring hole, not holding my breath we find one this season, but there should be a competent 3C out there with some offense. Other than that, we don’t need much else.

Ideally we move out the dead weight for picks and accrue some cap space and then we will have ultimate flexibility come the deadline to improve our weaknesses.

Reactions: TheShape

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

I see Lindholm had another good game for the Bruins yesterday, scoring the tying goal.

He’s the UFA we should have signed this summer.

No one of his calibre available this UFA and if you get him, your 2C is set for years.

He’s going to make us regret not getting him for years to come.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I see Lindholm had another good game for the Bruins yesterday, scoring the tying goal.

No one of his calibre available this UFA and if you get him, your 2C is set for years.

Both him and Zardov look good with the Bruins thus far, that team is big, going to be a war for whoever makes it to the Eastern final……..

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

D was the bigger need imo.
Also Elias Lindholm is good, but not in the “will make you regret it” category imo.
Further to that, nothing says he was even open to coming here.

Another high price forward would have been the exact wrong move to make this offseason

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
D was the bigger need imo.
Also Elias Lindholm is good, but not in the “will make you regret it” category imo.
Further to that, nothing says he was even open to coming here.

Another high price forward would have been the exact wrong move to make this offseason
Not if you don’t plan on resigning Marner, which is the right move for this team going forward.

Reactions: rumman

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Both him and Zardov look good with the Bruins thus far, that team is big, going to be a war for whoever makes it to the Eastern final……..

Big in stature sure, but not especially intimidating physically.

I agree with the last part.

Not if you don’t plan on resigning Marner, which is the right move for this team going forward.

Maybe, but highly debatable.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Big in stature sure, but not especially intimidating physically.

I agree with the last part.

Maybe, but highly debatable.
Fair comment.

Who the money is spent on is crucial, otherwise you are letting a very talented player go for nothing.

Moving on from Marner and using the cap to sign Lindholm and Roy would make us a better team, no doubts in my mind

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Fair comment.

Who the money is spent on is crucial, otherwise you are letting a very talented player go for nothing.

Moving on from Marner and using the cap to sign Lindholm and Roy would make us a better team, no doubts in my mind
Maybe doable if he was hitting UFA this past July, but he wasn't... I believe it was reported that the Leafs were after Roy but that the interest wasn't mutual. May very well of been the same case for Lindholm.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Maybe doable if he was hitting UFA this past July, but he wasn't... I believe it was reported that the Leafs were after Roy but that the interest wasn't mutual. May very well of been the same case for Lindholm.
Fair enough, but you get my point.

Spending an extra million to get those guys vs overpaying 1 player like Marner between $3-4 million still leaves us better off.

Reactions: Roo

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
1. True.

2. Wouldn’t really be a concern here as Jarnkrok and Liljegren already aren’t in the lineup, so filling out the roster isn’t really a concern. With Roy, you still have Timmins and Myers as spares, and Hakanpaa in the wings (or don’t bother signing him for extra cap). Even without Jarnkrok we still have Dewar and one of Reaves/whoever they want to scratch as spares.

3. I’ve seen conflicting reports on that. I remember seeing from one of the talking heads the day he was signed, that the leafs were very close on Roy, they just wouldn’t go that high. But I’ve also seen what you said, that he didn’t want to play in Canada

No use worrying about it now though I suppose.

Hakanpaa also isn't "part of the cap equation" right now.

As it currently stands, if the Leafs traded Jarnkrok and Liljegren, all they could do is bring back a $3m defenceman in return.

If they wanted to run 13F / 7D (instead of the 13F/8D they are running right now), they could drop Myers for an additional $775k in space, so you're looking at trading those 2 and getting a $3.775m defenceman back.

If they wanted to drop Timmins (leaving Myers or Mermis as the 7th defenceman), a little more savings so you could trade Jarnkrok, Liljegren and maybe Timmins (if he has value) for a $4.1m defenceman.

To bring Hakanpaa in of course, that's a whole bunch of additional cap gymnastics. It's not as simple as just sending Myers, or even Timmins down.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022

Who do we keep
Woll shouldn’t even be discussed until he can actually stay healthy. You can’t be taken seriously if random injuries are popping up every couple of weeks. This guy has only played in 30 games

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Fair enough, but you get my point.

Spending an extra million to get those guys vs overpaying 1 player like Marner between $3-4 million still leaves us better off.
I do, and I also wanted to see them prioritize Lindholm to address our 2C spot. We’ll see what happens, but losing a player like Marner would definitely be felt. If you can sign the right type of players that improve our team, absolutely you do it. I just look at what some guys signed for this past season (like Debrusk) and it’s easy to see a scenario where they reallocate that cap hit and get worse. UFA class next year doesn’t look great and will only get worse with some extending.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yes, that type of 3C would be nice to have, it's a question of what brings us more. I look at our team (after only 3 games) and think our forwards will score and they appear bought in on D. We need to get the PP going and that will happen.

I think we are maybe one move away from an elite D unit. What is we moved some or all of Kampf, Jarnkrok and Liljegren to free up space and went out for a Parayko or Weegar type? Maybe Liljegren, Timmins, Robertson and a pick? Maybe Niemela gets included?

Reilly Tanev
McCabe Parayko/Weegar
OEL Hakanpaa
Rafai Myers

There’s no elite D unit with no #1D.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I’d love to see them go after Ekblad if there is any way he makes Jul 1st. Seems like a perfect replacement for McCabe since he’ll be on his natural side. He’s had his injury challenges, but I will give him this, he doesn’t miss playoff games. Can’t see him hitting UFA with all the D the panthers have already lost, but we love ex-panthers lol

But there is lots of cap we can reallocate to make that happen, and it doesn’t have to include Marner.

Thats my pipe dream 😂

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad