GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
If Marner had even 10% of the stones Wilson does he just might be worth most of his cap hit

Tom Wilson of 5 years ago? Hell yeah. Tom Wilson today and in the future? Hard pass. Power forwards age terribly and Wilson is already on the decline. Stones or not we can't use our best trade chip (assuming Mitch even waives) on a 30 year old power-forward on the back 9 of his career with a cap hit of $6.5 million per season until 2031.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Once again these insiders are saying we're interested in every FA on the market to get some impressions. I guess if you name off every FA and one of them does sign you can claim you were the first to report interest.

About DeBrusk I can see us giving him and Bertuzzi the same contract offer and see who wants it. Don't really think either should get more than 5.25 tbh. I'd say Barbashev is a fair comparable and I believe 5.25 would equal to what his deal is today.

Reactions: ToneDog and Brobust

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Eww @ Debrusk for 6 million. Just sign Bertuzzi. At least Bert already has had time to acclimate to Toronto. Plus Debrusk has never tallied more than 50 points in any season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Eww @ Debrusk for 6 million. Just sign Bertuzzi. At least Bert already has had time to acclimate to Toronto. Plus Debrusk has never tallied more than 50 points in any season.

Don't sign either, both of them are going to be overpaid

**** UFA, all I see is landmines right now

Reactions: Evilhomer

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’d rather we just re-sign Bertuzzi over DeBrusk but I’d be fine with either player. I do think DeBrusk has a little more to given than what we’ve seen from him and playing with either Matthews or Nylander could unlock that.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I know people are down on Bertuzzi, but you have to remember that he stunk for the first half of the year and still managed to get 21 goals. Him getting 30 goes next year is not out of the question. In fact, given his chemistry with Matthews, I kind of expect it. 30 goal scorers are not a dime a dozen And we’re gonna need those goals when Marner is traded.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Signing DeBrusk and possibly Bertuzzi and Domi doesn’t make sense unless you’re working on a Marner trade. Why are we wasting more cap on a winger. We have massive holes on D and in net

Sign DeBrusk, trade Marner to Vegas for Theodore, Thompson+?

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Signing DeBrusk and possibly Bertuzzi and Domi doesn’t make sense unless you’re working on a Marner trade. Why are we wasting more cap on a winger. We have massive holes on D and in net

Sign DeBrusk, trade Marner to Vegas for Theodore, Thompson+?
I think you nailed it on the head. Marner is
getting traded. I think that’s why we’re supposedly in on all the UFA wingers lately.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I think you nailed it on the head. Marner is
getting traded. I think that’s why we’re supposedly in on all the UFA wingers lately.
Yeah. Reading between the lines... if we really are in on all of these wingers... it's looking more like Marner is traded and the media saying he's not going to be forsure... is just to keep his value higher.

In the end who knows but seems to make sense.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That’s what I’m guessing. It makes zero sense giving DeBrusk 5-6 million/signing Bertuzzi/Domi and neglecting the net and D.
This is assuming they are signing them all.
It might be plan A, plan B, etc.
They may be looking at 3 players to determine who they can get for the dollars and term they want.

Domi may want too much, they may like Bertuzzi but feel if they are going to go 5 million for multiple years Debrusk is the better long term solution because he is younger.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Arvidsson probably has the best 'bang for buck' potential in the market. Might be had for under 5m on a medium term with potential to be a very strong top-six.
Yes, Arvidsson is someone Toronto should be looking into, I don't think he sniffs higher then what he makes now. You can probably get two players that can get as many points as Bert/Domi/Debrusk playing on the top line and in the 3rd line role for cheaper then the 3 I just mentioned. All 3 of them had 43,47,41 points each and want 5m in the open market? No shot I'd pay any of them that.

Arvidsson
Duclair
Mantha
Pacioretty
Olafsson
Perron

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I guess it's time to start fresh for all the crazy madness people wanna throw out there. Let's start with:

Not a sure any high thought of free agent will commit to toronto until the marner circus is either puy to bed either way
I mean im already tired of the DAILY DREGER show
The leafs just are a mess .how dubas and shanahan are still working is amazing
But unless toronto is the place your ckient dreamed of as a kid ,i think most will pass ,the marner scrutiny has a half million fans wanting him gone
Not worth it if im montour or tanev

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not a sure any high thought of free agent will commit to toronto until the marner circus is either puy to bed either way
I mean im already tired of the DAILY DREGER show
The leafs just are a mess .how dubas and shanahan are still working is amazing
But unless toronto is the place your ckient dreamed of as a kid ,i think most will pass ,the marner scrutiny has a half million fans wanting him gone
Not worth it if im montour or tanev
We are really limited to free agents until the Marner issue is resolved. It will determine who you can and can’t pursue UFA. You may want 2 top 4 D, a 2nd line centre and a goalie, but you have to do that assuming Marner and 11 million is staying right now.

Reactions: hullsy47

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I think the fact Bertuzzis's agent came out speaking about how they've discussed contracts but the Leafs have more pressing issues at the moment (paraphrasing) tells me their either Trying to figure out the Marner stuff or anticipating going after some top UFA defensemen and then seeing what's left for cash with Marner on the roster.

There is a world where they can spend 7.5m on a defenseman and get another for 5-6m while also finding a tandem for Woll around 2-3m.

Reactions: hullsy47

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
This is assuming they are signing them all.
It might be plan A, plan B, etc.
They may be looking at 3 players to determine who they can get for the dollars and term they want.

Domi may want too much, they may like Bertuzzi but feel if they are going to go 5 million for multiple years Debrusk is the better long term solution because he is younger.
I think Bertuzzi will be squeezed if they sign DeBrusk. Might not want to take another short term deal or pay cut to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad