GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I expect he and Domi to be extended. The to go cheap on a tandem 1B, and then spend a decent amount on the defence.

How much more tinkering will depend on how many guys Tre opted to move on from. I think Lily is out the door. Guys like Robertson,Kampf, Jarnkrok bigger question marks

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I expect he and Domi to be extended. The to go cheap on a tandem 1B, and then spend a decent amount on the defence.

How much more tinkering will depend on how many guys Tre opted to move on from. I think Lily is out the door. Guys like Robertson,Kampf, Jarnkrok bigger question marks

If we re-sign Bert and Domi for say 9M combined, it doesn't leave much for D, even with a cheap goalie.

~19M in capspace
-9M for those two forwards
-2M for a cheap goalie

Leaves ~8M for 3 D, maybe ~10M if you move some combination of Kampf, Timmins, Jarnkrok, etc and replace with league minimun players. Either way, once again, it de-prioritizes the blueline if you're gonna spend ~9M on two forwards and ~8-10M on 3 D, especially considering we already have four 10M+ forwards (ie it's already prioritized).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

More or less what I expect as well. Marner stays around as well and keep making changes around the edges with a couple big additions on defense and giving the crease to Woll in hopes he can figure it out.

If we re-sign Bert and Domi for say 9M combined, it doesn't leave much for D, even with a cheap goalie.

~19M in capspace
-2M for a cheap goalie

Leaves ~8M for 3 D, maybe ~10M if you move some combination of Kampf, Timmins, Jarnkrok, etc and replace with league minimun players. Either way, once again, it de-prioritizes the blueline if you're gonna spend ~9M on two forwards and ~8-10M on 3 D, especially considering we already have four 10M+ forwards (ie it's already prioritized).

It'll be tight but I'd expect the Leafs to remove a few of the role players into alternatives. They won't have much of a choice anyway.

Treliving seems way over his head if he re-signs both Bertuzzi and Domi without making a significant change elsewhere. We'll see how it unfolds by August but I sure hope the plan is better this time around than last off-season.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Kampf is a cap inefficiency for our structure and should be flushed out. Jarnkrok is alright as a versatile player. But he could be something else too.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
this is SO weak... Playoffs are a different animal, and 'star' players sometimes get shut down, and then their actual performance gets upgraded if/when they WIN.

i.e.
Panarin (.84ppg), Zibanejad (.85ppg), Kaprisov (.63ppg), Marchand (.88ppg), Marner (.88ppg)
73214061-18
74194463+0
1910212-5
1575682138+30
57113950+10

Now tell me Marner is a weak playoff performer compared to these other 'stars' having the same PPG as Marchand.

for the record, and not to cherry pick too many players, here are the likely cup winners top players

Barkov (.85ppg)
68184058+0
M. Tkachuk (.87ppg)
68233659+3
here is 57 goal scorer Reinhart (.62ppg)
52201232-2
and playoff 'stud' Bennett (.68ppg)
81253055+6
Verhaeghe (.79ppg)
66252752+8
I love when people do this when trying to compare others to Marner when Marner only plays in 1 series every year while all or a lot of these others usually play 2 + series a year. Marchand comparable is laughable as well since Marchand is making 6 million dollars and only 8% of the cap when he signed that deal and is 36. Zibanajad is another who makes 8.5 and 10% cap percentage. Kaprizov making 9 mil which is 10% cap percentage as well when signed. Panarin the only good comparable you listed and I think everyone already knows he is overpaid as well but that's what happens when you're the top FA and the Rangers are interested in you. Left off Pasta who is a much better comparable than Marchand but I guess his what? 0.96 PPG in the playoffs isn't a good look when their cap percentages are almost identical and Pasta just signed that deal last year.

All your post did was show how Marner is overpaid and should be making no more than 9 mil like the rest of the players you listed.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

~19M in capspace
-2M for a cheap goalie

You can probably get a bottom pair guy for a million or two and maybe they look for some cheap puck moving on the right like Ghost or Schultz then go big on the top pair player

There's opportunities if you don't lock yourself into going to the top of the market

The way the 2nd tweet is worded it would almost have to be Dobson. I highly doubt the base of a Marner deal is Romanov or Bolduc.

Romanov ++ wouldn't be the worst deal I've seen so far

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

IB hasn't hit lately but he has always been the most connected guy on twitter when it comes to the Isles. Might be nothing, but it's something to talk about.

Didn't Dreger say Tre was more likely to resign Marner than trade him this morning?

Because I'm struggling to see how a deal between us and the Isles works if Marner isn't the piece they want

Other guys we could trade? Ideas?

Trading Marner for a mediocre LD would actually be the worst option I've seen on this board. Especially considering NYI don't have many attractive roster pieces or prospects to add on.
He's young and a second pair Dman, I'd rather do that than a goaltender we have to extend in a years time

They have picks and this draft looks good in that 15-45 ŕange

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Didn't Dreger say Tre was more likely to resign Marner than trade him this morning?

Because I'm struggling to see how a deal between us and the Isles works if Marner isn't the piece they want

He's young and a second pair Dman, I'd rather do that than a goaltender we have to extend in a years time

As far as insiders go - Dreger is probably outside the top 5 when it comes to credibility these days which is saying a lot. I'm not sure how much he actually knows about Treliving's intentions.

Regarding the twitter post - I'd assume it would be Marner. It could also be Nylander.

As far as Romanov goes - he's relatively young and physical which is good but 2LD's are a dime a dozen in this league. One of the easiest positions to fill. McCabe is better at that role and will most likely be cheaper.

I have just assumed that any Marner deal takes place after July 1st, ruling out any draft picks. I could be wrong.

Either way - it's good to see new teams in the mix for Marner (assuming the post is about him). It sounds like Vegas has real interest. If there's an actual bidding war for Marner that is excellent news for Leafs fans.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

JT back to the Island for a year after his signing bonus has been paid.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

IB hasn't hit lately but he has always been the most connected guy on twitter when it comes to the Isles. Might be nothing, but it's something to talk about.

Pelech would be a very good partner for Lili if we kept him tbh. If we were interested in Dobson I wonder if Lili is on his way out because Dobson and Rielly I don't think would be good together, but then again we could just move McCabe up to partner with Dobson and have Lili with Benoit and get a FA for Rielly. Who else is on the Isles though? Varlamov could be a good 1B with Woll I guess. They have a few draft picks. Cizikas is another who I think would fit as a 4th line checking C better than Kampf. Gauthier could be a ice depth player. Big body with speed and was a damn good goal scorer in Junior. What looks better on D

Pelech-Lili/Montour
Rielly-Roy/Demelo/Tanev/Pesce
Benoit-McCabe

or

McCabe-Dobson
Benoit-Lili/Montour

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Pelech would be a very good partner for Lili if we kept him tbh. If we were interested in Dobson I wonder if Lili is on his way out because Dobson and Rielly I don't think would be good together, but then again we could just move McCabe up to partner with Dobson and have Lili with Benoit and get a FA for Rielly. Who else is on the Isles though? Varlamov could be a good 1B with Woll I guess. They have a few draft picks. Cizikas is another who I think would fit as a 4th line checking C better than Kampf. Gauthier could be a ice depth player. Big body with speed and was a damn good goal scorer in Junior. What looks better on D

Pelech-Lili/Montour
Benoit-McCabe

or

McCabe-Dobson
Benoit-Lili/Montour
I'm not sure if Pelech qualifies as a "young piece". I also wouldn't bother targeting a Liljegren partner - he's hardly a piece to build around and he's most likely gone.

If it is Dobson I'd imagine it would look like:

McCabe-Dobson
Rielly-Tanev
Benoit-X

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
As far as insiders go - Dreger is probably outside the top 5 when it comes to credibility these days which is saying a lot. I'm not sure how much he actually knows about Treliving's intentions.

Regarding the twitter post - I'd assume it would be Marner. It could also be Nylander.

As far as Romanov goes - he's relatively young and physical which is good but 2LD's are a dime a dozen in this league. One of the easiest positions to fill. McCabe is better at that role and will most likely be cheaper.

I have just assumed that any Marner deal takes place after July 1st, ruling out any draft picks. I could be wrong.

Either way - it's good to see new teams in the mix for Marner (assuming the post is about him). It sounds like Vegas has real interest. If there's an actual bidding war for Marner that is excellent news for Leafs fans.

I think Dreger has an insight into Marners camp and I doubt it's Nylander, his extension hasn't even kicked in yet.

He's young though and has some upside still and it solves the left side of the top 4 for at least half a decade, he's more cost certain than McCabe to

We have almost no picks next draft, getting a couple for that wouldn't hurt

It's certainly interesting, makes me wonder who Marner would waive for

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I think Dreger has an insight into Marners camp and I doubt it's Nylander, his extension hasn't even kicked in yet.

He's young though and has some upside still and it solves the left side of the top 4 for at least half a decade, he's more cost certain than McCabe to

A Romanov/Rielly 1/2LD for the next 5 years would be interesting. Not in a good way though.

I do think Romanov will get paid more than McCabe on his next deal although it'll be close. I think McCabe is looking at a 5Mx4. Romanov probably something close to what Pelech got if he stays on long island.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

It depends on how his negotiations went with Lou? There was the issue with the SB.

Martin is there right?

The ones I thought of were. Worst case
(Marner won’t sign ext)

Nelson. Pelech/poluck and 1st

Or Dobson straight up (retention if needed)

Or sorokin plus a player for Marner and woll

LA/isles/vegas/jersey

If Sheldon wants him. I could see Jersey but I really don’t know how they were. He played him like crazy. It would depend

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I struggle to picture Marner waiving for the Islanders, though he's also exactly what they need - theyre a pretty deep team with some good defensive physical players, but have really lacked an elite offensive player for years and years.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Not sure what a good deal with Islanders would look like but imo it would have to be some combination of the following.

One of:

Dobson
Sorokin.
Pulock
Romanov
Holmstrom

One or more of:

2024 FRP
2024 SRP
2025 FRP
Alex Jeffries
Danny Nelson

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
A Romanov/Rielly 1/2LD for the next 5 years would be interesting. Not in a good way though.

I do think Romanov will get paid more than McCabe on his next deal although it'll be close. I think McCabe is looking at a 5Mx4. Romanov probably something close to what Pelech got if he stays on long island.
McCabe is already 30+, there's a reason he may get a little less on his next deal

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It depends on how his negotiations went with Lou? There was the issue with the SB.

Martin is there right?

The ones I thought of were. Worst case
(Marner won’t sign ext)

Nelson. Pelech/poluck and 1st

Or Dobson straight up (retention if needed)

Or sorokin plus a player for Marner and woll

LA/isles/vegas/jersey

If Sheldon wants him. I could see Jersey but I really don’t know how they were. He played him like crazy. It would depend
Based on the wording of the tweet I think an Isles package would look like Dobson, JGP, Tikkanen.

He specifically mentions a young piece they wouldn't want to part with (Dobson). JGP is a negative asset that would even out the value discrepancy between Marner and Dobson while also getting the salaries close to even. Tikkanen would be an add-in.

Reactions: supermann_98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $10,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium