GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I remember the good old days when you couldn't win with 4 forwards taking to much of the cap

Now I've noticed it's migrated to 3 highly paid forwards?

Can someone tell me when we've actually tried having only 3 highly paid forwards because over the last half a decade we've tried it with 4 of them not 3

In fact we haven't even tried 3 yet so I'd like to know why everybody is certain it just won't work? Or is it just Marner is a p***y and has to go because obviously somebody needs to be scapegoated?
Marner wants McDavid money. McDavid is putting up 2 points per game in the playoffs while playing center. Marner isn’t. That’s why people don’t want him returning.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Hot take: all of the Leafs’ issues to make the a perfect contender can’t be fixed in one offseason.

What they can do is still put together a competitive team that might make a run, while also positioning themselves to leverage Tavares and Marner’s contracts off the books next offseason.

They need to avoid bogging the cap down with mediocre players on poor mid to long term contracts.

What the Leafs do have in house are some nice forward prospects on the wing. Plan to reallocate money into the blue line, with another top 9 centre, and goaltending.
From my perspective, this is exactly why I don't resign Bertuzzi to a term deal.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Well reinhart isnt a cast off

He is a star/part of the core for the years he has been there

Barkov + Tkachuk + Ekblad + Reinhart + Bobrovsky is their core the past 2 years

Verhaghe + Montour + Forsling + Benmett + EroD are the elite depth who were at one time not much to write about

The panthers core > leafs star 5

The panthers depth/castoffs > leafs star 5

Marner + Matthews + Nylander + Tavares + Rielly arent only very overpaid come playoffs, they are 2nd line players who we expect to be 5 of top 15 playoff players in the league.
Reinhart is a great player. Not talking about him.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Hot take: all of the Leafs’ issues to make the a perfect contender can’t be fixed in one offseason.

What they can do is still put together a competitive team that might make a run, while also positioning themselves to leverage Tavares and Marner’s contracts off the books next offseason.

They need to avoid bogging the cap down with mediocre players on poor mid to long term contracts.

What the Leafs do have in house are some nice forward prospects on the wing. Plan to reallocate money into the blue line, with another top 9 centre, and goaltending.

That's not a hot take, that's a literal fact.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
TBH it’s tempering expectations in the offseason.. I get the opinion from enough that things can be turned around in one offseason.
Maybe if Tre has a "Summer of Pierre" we can build a Cup contender in one year so that we can keep up with Ottawa

• Haha
Reactions: CuuuJooo

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Shea Theodore + Logan Thompson + Matyas Sapovaliv
To Vegas: Mitch Marner + Noah Gregor

To Toronto: Jack McBain + COL 3rd Rounder
To Utah: Timothy Liljegren + VAN 5th Rounder

UFA Signings:
Chandler Stephenson - 6 million
Matt Roy - 5.75 million
Travis Boyd - 1.35 million
Chris Tanev - 4.5 million

Re-Sign:
Tyler Bertuzzi - 5.5 million
Max Domi - 4.5 million

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Knies - Stephenson - Nylander
McMann - Tavares - Cowan
Holmberg - McBain - Boyd

Theodore - Roy
Rielly - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe

Thompson - Woll

You’d have around 1.4 million in cap space.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Until next season:

Approximate Cap Hit:
marner = Nylander + 55%
Tavares = Nylander + 60%
Matthews = Nylander + 65%

If they could replace 2 double digits, add to two $7mm forwards they'd be in a very good position.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Interesting shout.

Lucas Carlsson in Florida is another I'd consider. His position is kind of similar to Forsling's in Carolina. That's not to say he'll be that good, but based on the numbers, he's likely too good for the A.

Was wondering about him, too. But why the drop off this season compared to his season with Charlotte in 2022-23?

Is he in the AHL solely because of the Panthers' depth or are there flaws in his game?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
TBH it’s tempering expectations in the offseason.. I get the opinion from enough that things can be turned around in one offseason.

Of course things can turn around in one season ... we aren't talking about taking an 80 point team to 110 points.

Leafs are a 100+ point team, without goaltending.
Leafs are a 100+ point team, without a #1 defender.
Leafs are a 100+ point team, without a good system.

I know
1718553577737.png

Always darkest before the dawn.

Add a #1 defender, a healthy goaltender, and some enthusiastic, talented, hardworking youth and we may be amazed.

Leafs are in the rear view mirror, and they just got a new driver.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Looking ahead to the d-man class of next years free agency, this isn’t a bad year to invest in some guys IMO.

Solidify the d-core. There are some young wingers that I wouldn’t want to block on the roster, and I’m a fan of seeing what Will can do while having an opportunity for Hildeby if needed. If there’s a trade to bring in a top 6/9 centre, that would be huge as well.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Theodore and Thompson feels like a classic Vegas lowball even though Theodore would be great.
Theodore hasn’t played much in the past few years. Is he fully healthy now, or are we looking at another Woll situation that is starting to occur with him?

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
as much as I'm a fan of Montour.

No Marner for Theodore trade, I think the targets should be the following:

Skjei
Roy
Tanev
Montour

I know Montour is a RD but I think Skjei is a little better. Roy and Tanev may end up being better contracts. As Tanev will probably be a 2-3 year contract, the last year maybe a little tough.

Can come out with a top 4 of

Skjei - Roy
Rielly - McCabe

Reactions: HomelessPepper

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
IF Marner is moved, after the D and G are addressed, I’d really consider taking a run at Patrick Kane in free agency. Even at 35. Coming off major surgery and rehab last year he went nearly a point per game over 50 games. He could replace a lot of what Marner brings us, short term at a much more reasonable cost.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Unless it’s a precursor for a Rielly trade I’d rather overpay Zadorov honestly. Having Theodore be our big play on D still leaves us without an RD, point shot, or top shutdown unit.
Do not want to pay Zadorov at least $5 million or more. He was very good in these playoffs, but before that, he has proven to only be a very good bottom pairing dman.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
this is the roster I built on capfriendly voa this marner deal + rielly trade

I would honestly deal Jarnkrok for a pick and then have 5M+ for 1 more piece to add
View attachment 883191View attachment 883194
I don’t know. If McMann can stay healthy, I think I might like him better on the 2nd line, put Knies on the 3rd line (would face easier matchups), and move Tomasino (not familiar with him) down onto the 4th line.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
IF Marner is moved, after the D and G are addressed, I’d really consider taking a run at Patrick Kane in free agency. Even at 35. Coming off major surgery and rehab last year he went nearly a point per game over 50 games. He could replace a lot of what Marner brings us, short term at a much more reasonable cost.

Especially if Domi prices himself out of Toronto

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
On another note please trade Jarnkrok ... he's a nice versatile depth piece for the regular season but he's a total non factor in the playoffs. Yes he's responsible and can kill penalties, but that isn't quite enough for the post season IMO.

In 18 career playoff games with the Leafs: 1 G, 2 A...

in 93 career playoff games: 5 G, 17 A ... And he'll be 33 starting this next season.

I could actually see Dubas interested in him for Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad