Confirmed with Link: Mittelstadt re-signed (3 years, $5.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I’m no accountant, but I’m ok with this. He will get better the longer he’s here. I think this will be a good deal when we look back on it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Earlier today you said the arb was likely 5.25-5.75. That would presumably be for 1-2 years.
So if we include the 3rd UFA year, it seems like the deal is basically right in line with his earning power.

Seems more fair, than below average.
Arbitration is normally high, but requires players and agents to push for it. They tend to favor the players in the rulings. Signings are usually a bit lower. In this specific case, Avs signed Mitts to the high comparable (Zegras) without the production to back it.

In either case, it is not a 'good' deal.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Buffalo fan here. It's a great AAV for you guys.

IMO.....Casey was always looking for a shorter term with this deal, which is why Adams traded him. Adams is big into "guys who want to be in Buffalo"....and if Casey was angling to take a 3 year deal and then cash in at the end, there's no way that Adams would have been amenable to that.

The term makes some sense to you guys as well. Allows you to bring Ritchie along slowly and then build him up to take over Casey's role on a cheap deal/ELC. Plus, the low AAV on the shorter team fits your cap structure well.
Yep. I suspected Casey wasn't interested in a LT security lock up but wanted flexibility and mobility. He got what he was looking for and should be pretty happy about it.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
So with more term it would have been 7. I was saying 7 …after the jets series I thought it could have gone as high as 7.5. Yall really need to recalibrate.

Don’t like the term wished it had been atleast 5

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
And so when the agent said sorry, we aren't here to give you a team friendly deal...they should have just said fine, we'll take the arbitration option?
Well maybe. We need to start saving somewhere, and now we know it's not going to be on the 2C's contract. We'll most likely have to move Manson and let JD walk. We just can't afford anything right now.

I guess we could also just sign guys and try to deal Nuke before he contract starts to affect the cap again.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Six of them are probably Canadian teams. lol....
His agent is going to pick the 9 teams that he's the most likely to get traded to. That's how it works.

Doesn't matter if he ends up in a small market he's UFA at the end of that year.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
The Avs cap situation is bad. But if you look at any individual contract nothing seems terrible. Aside from Wood. I have doubts about Toews long term but a # 2making 7 isn't that bad is it?

It's just death by a thousand cuts where everyone is making fair salary but there are no bargains to be seen anywhere.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
The Avs cap situation is bad. But if you look at any individual contract nothing seems terrible. Aside from Wood. I have doubts about Toews long term but a # 2making 7 isn't that bad is it?

It's just death by a thousand cuts where everyone is making fair salary but there are no bargains to be seen anywhere.
Logan O'Connor. But only for one more year

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What are you realistically expecting from a 4th overall pick? Byram got us the cup, he was better than Makar against Tampa, arguably our best player. I'm pretty happy with that alone.
I mean I feel like expecting more than an average/lower end 2nd pair guy(as of writing) is probably in line.

He was good during the cup run and that'll forever be in our history. But you want more than 1 good cup run from a top 5 pick.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I mean I feel like expecting more than an average/lower end 2nd pair guy(as of writing) is probably in line.

He was good during the cup run and that'll forever be in our history. But you want more than 1 good cup run from a top 5 pick.
5 teams pick top-5 every year, not all of them get a single cup run let alone win the damn thing.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Glad this is done. Higher AAV than I would have wanted for only getting one UFA year, but it's under 6M. I was using 6.75M and a six year deal as my default scenario for him when trying to play with the roster on capfriendly (my god I'm going to miss that site).

I guess a positive way to look at this is that we just signed our 2C in the summer the cap is starting to rise again to a deal that eats up the vast majority of his prime years and we're doing it for less than 6M per year. I get it, the search is on in three years but at that point Ritchie might actually be a viable internal option. Another thing is that CMac got it done before the draft and free agency. Having certainty on his 2C before heading into those has got to be a relief as it could have implications on how he approaches both.

Reactions: Bender

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Fair deal... didn't think it would be under $6M, but thought it would be more years. Pretty clear the Avs prioritized lowering the AAV a bit to maximize the window, at the cost of the future. Smart move, this is exactly what needed to be done.

Now one of Drouin, Colton, Manson or Nuke needs to go... We'll know soon which one will be sacrificed. And by the deadline we should know if Lando is a Go or a LTIR.

The Avs will have a Cup contending team in 24-25 once again. With lots of work to do near the deadline, but highly likely to have a Cup contending team, baring major injury to Mack or Makar. Not the top ranked team, that won't happen anymore, unless we pop a star ELC out of nowhere, but a cup contender nonetheless.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I wish someone would leak the stats of all the cities that ended up in NTC/NMC in the last 5 years
I think it would shock people, that most players probably didn't have Arizona there before that college rink bullshit.

Reactions: Balthazar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad