GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Brandon Montour has hit the 40 point mark once in his career, and he'll be 30 to start the next season. He's going to get paid like he's the 70 point player he was one time in his career.

Brady Skjei has also only hit 40 points once in his career, he's 30 now. He's also going to get paid like he's the almost-50 point player he was for the first time last year.

Those are not ideal. Those are outright fantasies. He's just not worth nearly thatmuch. Not trading Marner last year has tanked his value.

Marner has to go, and we've got limited options. Hopefully, people understand that this trade is just one battle in the war for the Stanley Cup.

Backing yourself into a corner like this means the war's already lost.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Looking at the Florida fans reactions to acquiring Tkachuk at the time (under the Panthers Twitter post confirming the trade) is fascinating. They hated it. Calgary fans were over the moon.

It just goes to show how stupid fans are (myself included).

We have people on this website stating their opinions on what needs to happen as if it is fact. It's truly incredible. Discussion is great but people that are dismissive of the opinions that they don't agree with are just absolute fools.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
yeah, it's not fair to put it all on McDavid. It also hard to not be disappointed. He is the best offensive player in the world and you just listed four guys that have the same or more points as him in this series.
Yep, have said this abou the Leafs, if there is no threat from the supporting cast you only have to focus on the top players.

That let's the other team's depth players freelance without worry about being scored on. No scoring from the bottom 6, no reason to play defensively.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Looking at the Florida fans reactions to acquiring Tkachuk at the time (under the Panthers Twitter post confirming the trade) is fascinating. They hated it. Calgary fans were over the moon.

It just goes to show how stupid fans are (myself included).

We have people on this website stating their opinions on what needs to happen as if it is fact. It's truly incredible. Discussion is great but people that are dismissive of the opinions that they don't agree with are just absolute fools.
To err is human.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
saw on the mains that apparently there are teams willing to offer Zadorov 6x6 I really hope it ain't Treliving. That is STUPID unless we are dumping Rielly.

We need a #1D-man that can run our #1PP; I want us to invest in there not Zadorov and quite frankly I've seen enough of Rielly for about a decade to finally accept that Mo isn't a bonafide #1 D-man

Reactions: LeafSteel

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
Exactly.

The time to win a Marner trade has long passed. You can either cut your losses now, or you can make the problem infinitely worse by giving him the deal he wants.
Yea I don't know why people believe it's better for this team to let Marner walk and not lose a trade versus getting some value back in terms of picks and prospects, but still lose the trade.

Cap space is only of value if the man behind it can spend it wisely, and so far that remains to be seen.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
saw on the mains that apparently there are teams willing to offer Zadorov 6x6 I really hope it ain't Treliving. That is STUPID unless we are dumping Rielly.

We need a #1D-man that can run our #1PP; I want us to invest in there not Zadorov and quite frankly I've seen enough of Rielly for about a decade to finally accept that Mo isn't a bonafide #1 D-man

But you knew Rielly wasn't a bonafide #1 right?

Was it emotional attachment, wishful thinking, or just giving a free pass?

Nothing wrong with a non-bonafide #1 with shortcomings if he is supported with a partner to cover up those shortcomings.
Yea I don't know why people believe it's better for this team to let Marner walk and not lose a trade versus getting some value back in terms of picks and prospects, but still lose the trade.

Cap space is only of value if the man behind it can spend it wisely, and so far that remains to be seen.

marner will decide if he wants to waive, sign, or go UFA.

Leafs fans can fantasize whatever they want.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If you move Marner for Theodore + Thompson..

- re-sign Domi (assuming the contract demands are reasonable)
- sign Adam Henrique
- sign Matt Roy
- Retain Liljegren, Gregor, Dewar, Robertson
- re-sign Lybushkin

Trade Jarnkrok

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Robertson-Henrique-Nylander
Holmberg-Tavares-McMann
Gregor-Kampf-Dewar
Reaves

Rielly-Roy
Theodore-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
Lyubushkin
Timmins

Woll
Thompson
Hildeby

As far as forward go, Henrique is my top priority to address the hole in the top 9 at centre. 20 goals, 40-50 points being good on the draw and PK'ing would fit a big need. It also allows Berube to move Nylander away from Tavares much easier and give him a quality player down the middle

Re-upping Boosh who was quite effective up and down the lineup last playoff run. Can play with Rielly or Theodore, but also play in a depth role.

Roy and Theodore legitimize the blue line, adding more offense which is needed. Theodore has to take PP minutes off of Rielly on the top unit.

I actually expect at least one of (or both) Cowan and Minten to make the opening roster. Gregor can go; and while we are at it Kampf can too

I expect (or hope to see) something like

Domi/XXX-Matthews-Toffoli/Knies/Bertuzzi
McMann-2C-Nylander
Robertson-Tavares-Cowan
Holmberg-Dewar-Reaves/Minten

Rielly XXX
McCabe Benoit
YYY ZZZ

XXX (options): DeMello/Pesce/Boosh/(long-shot) Montour for #1PP
YYY (options): Theodore (if Marner goes there), Bring back Edmundson, or of we get both DeMello and Pesce then Benoit moves there
ZZZ (options): Liljegren (re-signed), Timmins, etc.... depending on cap availability
2C (options): Lindholm (UFA signing); or put Holmberg up there in between McMann and Nylander

Our focus should be IMO
Priority 1: #1G, #1D, #2C (first fill these out and then go for wingers, depth (F, D)
Wingers: (Domi, Bertuzzi, Toffoli, etc...) -> Since I think Cowan and Minten make take these spots with Robertson probably also ready to take fulltime role its less big of a priority.

But you knew Rielly wasn't a bonafide #1 right?

Was it emotional attachment, wishful thinking, or just giving a free pass?

Nothing wrong with a non-bonafide #1 with shortcomings if he is supported with a partner to cover up those shortcomings.

Don't disagree but we need someone to run #1PP. We need a point shot desperately. Our PP is too predictable with only Matthews and Nylander as shooters everyone as passers

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Not sure how I feel about Theodore… too much Barrie PTSD
To me it only makes sense if you're moving Rielly somewhere else. Otherwise you're paying an offensive defenseman 7.5M a year and not giving him the PP time he'd need to give you value on that cap hit. It would be a different story if he were more of a two-way defenseman or if we actually uses two powerplay units consistently.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Tkachuk has 1 assist against the Oilers, and 1 point in his last 5 games.
Verhaeghe has 1 goal against the Oilers, and 1 point in last 5 games.

Barkov has 1 goal 3 assists against the Oilers, and 4 points in last 5 games.
Bennet has 1 goal 2 assists against the Oilers, and 6 points in last 5 games.
Reinhart has 1 goal 2 assists against the Oilers, and 3 points in last 5 games.

Rodrigues has 3 goals 1 assist against the Oilers, and 5 points in last 5 games.

Depth certainly helps, and of course shooting against Skinner versus the Conn Smythe winner.
I remember getting clowned on in here for suggesting Dubas should've paid a 1st for Bennett (for an in division overpayment) instead of wasting picks on I think Foligno was his useless rental that year.

Bennett is such a G

It would be so nice to have 3 goalies you can count on moving forward.
Other teams seem to be able to go the 2nd, 3rd string goalies and still maintain pace.
For a while we’ve run with 1 guy who has question marks and if he struggles it’s a hard battle.
If Jones (or a similar low end backup) would be happy to ride the bench for a season as a 3rd string I'd love to keep one on the roster rather than playing waiver games. Especially if the Thompson trade happens. Or Brossoit signing. Neither one of those plus Woll = 82 games

Last edited:
Reactions: Skullz

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
To me it only makes sense if you're moving Rielly somewhere else. Otherwise you're paying an offensive defenseman 7.5M a year and not giving him the PP time he'd need to give you value on that cap hit. It would be a different story if he were more of a two-way defenseman or if we actually uses two powerplay units consistently.

Seems like the obvious choice is to use two PP units, right?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If we swap Marner for Theodore and Thompson, are we a better team next year? I think we are.
this is the roster I built on capfriendly voa this marner deal + rielly trade

I would honestly deal Jarnkrok for a pick and then have 5M+ for 1 more piece to add
Screenshot_20240612_193541_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240612_193536_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240612_193531_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_193531_Samsung Internet.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240612_193526_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_193526_Samsung Internet.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 2

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
marner and Timmins, Leafs 1st. round pick 2026.
for
Boeser and Hronek, Canucks 1st. round pick 2025.

I think this is a better option than letting him walk.

Could do it before July 1st., before Draft Day, and both teams get time to convince re-signings.

Is it value? Leafs go into UFA season with an additional $4mm in capspace on forward, and use Brodie's cap hit for qualifying offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad