GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I am not disagreeing with you, but I have also thought while watching this series that I would be pretty disappointed in McD and Drai if I were an Oilers fan. They have been invisible and in some cases questionable defensively. It's all about winning the cup, not just getting there and these guys have not stepped up when needed. That's disappointing.

We can look at their PO track records and say that it is impressive, it also feels a bit like rewarding to regular season performance. It's all about the cup.

Tkachuk has 1 assist against the Oilers, and 1 point in his last 5 games.
Verhaeghe has 1 goal against the Oilers, and 1 point in last 5 games.

Barkov has 1 goal 3 assists against the Oilers, and 4 points in last 5 games.
Bennet has 1 goal 2 assists against the Oilers, and 6 points in last 5 games.
Reinhart has 1 goal 2 assists against the Oilers, and 3 points in last 5 games.

Rodrigues has 3 goals 1 assist against the Oilers, and 5 points in last 5 games.

Depth certainly helps, and of course shooting against Skinner versus the Conn Smythe winner.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Jeannot ended up being worth an entire draft class.
He was traded for:

In exchange for Jeannot, the Lightning sent Nashville defenseman Cal Foote, a 2025 first-round pick, a 2024 second-round pick, and third-, fourth- and fifth-round picks in the upcoming 2023 NHL draft, according to Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli.

Do you think he was worth it?

I think most people laughed at that trade and it looks laughable today.

If Leafs made that trade you would support it?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I look forward to seeing the full rundown of prospects Nashville adds to their system using these picks by 2025 draft. All acquired for a player who is arguably not worthy of playing regular minutes in the league.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I am not disagreeing with you, but I have also thought while watching this series that I would be pretty disappointed in McD and Drai if I were an Oilers fan. They have been invisible and in some cases questionable defensively. It's all about winning the cup, not just getting there and these guys have not stepped up when needed. That's disappointing.

We can look at their PO track records and say that it is impressive, it also feels a bit like rewarding to regular season performance. It's all about the cup.
No doubt they will be disappointed but at the same time, there will be a belief that they can do it next year bc past history showed that they will bounced back and get over the hump.
I mean if they gone 3-4yrs being SCF without winning, then that’s another story.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
He was traded for:

In exchange for Jeannot, the Lightning sent Nashville defenseman Cal Foote, a 2025 first-round pick, a 2024 second-round pick, and third-, fourth- and fifth-round picks in the upcoming 2023 NHL draft, according to Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli.

Do you think he was worth it?

I think most people laughed at that trade and it looks laughable today.

If Leafs made that trade you would support it?
I absolutely would not support that trade if the leafs did it but that’s not the point I was making. The point I was making is he held significant value when I proposed trading for him - as proven by the trade.

Reaked of desperation and everyone knew immediately it was terrible trade. And it’s only looked worse and worse. No conclusions beyond that should be drawn from it.
I think we can fairly draw conclusions on how much value he held.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
This is the dumbest f***ing take I've read, and I've been at hf for a long time.

Let's shit on MCD and drai who are too five in playoff ppg of ALL time.
Yup. Some people just can't face the failure of their own team and players.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I absolutely would not support that trade if the leafs did it but that’s not the point I was making. The point I was making is he held significant value when I proposed trading for him - as proven by the trade.

Yes, it means you weren't the only one with an opinion that has proven to be way off.

I'm sure there are lots of opinions about player values that are proven wrong. Just because someone pays for a salted mine doesn't mean the mine is worth what is paid for it.

Bre-X was never worth what people paid.

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
Don't forget the only reason he gets that many pts is because who he plays with and Keefe catering to all out offense. On a team like Columbus he is an 80 pt player. Don't forget Berube is a different animal. If Marner stays he will not be getting $12 million from anybody, especially after he wilts again in the playoffs. It's Marner who has the most to lose if Toronto decides they can't keep on losing by overpaying everyone. This team was misbuilt by an amateur. Those days are over. Toronto has no picks next year and has already dumped a 2nd and a 4th in 2026. They will be handcuffed at TD and have a very weak prospect pool outside Cowan. Their best option is to trade Marner for young and cheap. The rest of the East will get better as Toronto passes it's prime.
You proving the point of this fan base being toxic asf lmao. This exact same thing leafs haters say about matthews about his goals lol....

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If we swap Marner for Theodore and Thompson, are we a better team next year? I think we are.
This season Theodore and Thompson are 6 million combined. With Marner at 11, you can still add 5 million for one player.
The bonus also for having a year left is seeing how these 2 players perform before re-signing to whatever deal. Then we have 11 million next year to pursue someone.
Push hard to grab the 1st from Vegas as well.
It would be excellent to add both those players and have 19 and 23 in the draft. That’s a big retool right there.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
This season Theodore and Thompson are 6 million combined. With Marner at 11, you can still add 5 million for one player.
The bonus also for having a year left is seeing how these 2 players perform before re-signing to whatever deal. Then we have 11 million next year to pursue someone.
Push hard to grab the 1st from Vegas as well.
It would be excellent to add both those players and have 19 and 23 in the draft. That’s a big retool right there.

You could probably get the first if we retained a large chunk of his salary....

Reactions: Trapper

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If you move Marner for Theodore + Thompson..

- re-sign Domi (assuming the contract demands are reasonable)
- sign Adam Henrique
- sign Matt Roy
- Retain Liljegren, Gregor, Dewar, Robertson
- re-sign Lybushkin

Trade Jarnkrok

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Robertson-Henrique-Nylander
Holmberg-Tavares-McMann
Gregor-Kampf-Dewar
Reaves

Rielly-Roy
Theodore-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
Lyubushkin
Timmins

Woll
Thompson
Hildeby

As far as forward go, Henrique is my top priority to address the hole in the top 9 at centre. 20 goals, 40-50 points being good on the draw and PK'ing would fit a big need. It also allows Berube to move Nylander away from Tavares much easier and give him a quality player down the middle

Re-upping Boosh who was quite effective up and down the lineup last playoff run. Can play with Rielly or Theodore, but also play in a depth role.

Roy and Theodore legitimize the blue line, adding more offense which is needed. Theodore has to take PP minutes off of Rielly on the top unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: JKG33

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If you move Marner for Theodore + Thompson..

- re-sign Domi (assuming the contract demands are reasonable)
- sign Adam Henrique
- sign Matt Roy
- Retain Liljegren, Gregor, Dewar, Robertson
- re-sign Lybushkin

Trade Jarnkrok

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Robertson-Henrique-Nylander
Holmberg-Tavares-McMann
Gregor-Kampf-Dewar
Reaves

Rielly-Roy
Theodore-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
Lyubushkin
Timmins

Woll
Thompson
Hildeby

As far as forward go, Henrique is my top priority to address the hole in the top 9 at centre. 20 goals, 40-50 points being good on the draw and PK'ing would fit a big need. It also allows Berube to move Nylander away from Tavares much easier and give him a quality player down the middle

Re-upping Boosh who was quite effective up and down the lineup last playoff run. Can play with Rielly or Theodore, but also play in a depth role.

Roy and Theodore legitimize the blue line, adding more offense which is needed. Theodore has to take PP minutes off of Rielly on the top unit.
It would be so nice to have 3 goalies you can count on moving forward.
Other teams seem to be able to go the 2nd, 3rd string goalies and still maintain pace.
For a while we’ve run with 1 guy who has question marks and if he struggles it’s a hard battle.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It would be so nice to have 3 goalies you can count on moving forward.
Other teams seem to be able to go the 2nd, 3rd string goalies and still maintain pace.
For a while we’ve run with 1 guy who has question marks and if he struggles it’s a hard battle.

I'd feel more comfortable with going with a depth approach vs pinning everything on just one

Reactions: Trapper

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
The idea of trading Marner for Theodore is insane, as there are names in the free agency that are on the same level and age as puck moving defencemen, for free (if you don't count cap space as a cost):

- Brady Skjei
- Brandon Montour

To a lesser extent even Shayne Gostisbehere, and Filip Hronek as an RFA (lower cost than Marner).

Shea Theodore makes Morgan Rielly look like an enforcer, and people already hate how "soft" Rielly is, which he is not.

As it is most likely, that the "ideal trade" will not happen, which would be something like:

NYI: Dobson+Pageau
DET: Seider+Copp

We would be better off to try and grab someone like Montour/Skjei to be paired with McCabe, or if you'd like to get a younger D, ask Vancouver about Hronek, and then run Rielly with Roy/Tanev, whichever you'd get.

As a base, the package for Marner would be a TOP6 forward + a high pick (top 10 in 2024) - which pretty much leaves only Seattle and Utah as options, unless Anaheim or Chicago would like to make a huge splash.

We shall see, I am very intrigued by the opportunity that the Leafs have here to make a huge mark and massively improve the team. I just hope that they don't fudge this up (run it back).

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I think we need more size up front. You aren’t going to have playoff success with so many small support guys especially when your top end guys are soft as butter. Florida only forward under 6 feel is Rodrigues.

I don’t think we could go into playoffs with Domi, Robertson, Dewar, Cowan who are all sub 6 plus Jarnkrok and Holmberg right at 6 feet.

Knies and McMann are great. We need to find the next Joshua or Noesen hiding cheap elsewhere rather than pay them 3 or 4 million. Maybe Max Jones in Anaheim? Some other late blooming power forwards.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Tkachuk has 1 assist against the Oilers, and 1 point in his last 5 games.
Verhaeghe has 1 goal against the Oilers, and 1 point in last 5 games.

Barkov has 1 goal 3 assists against the Oilers, and 4 points in last 5 games.
Bennet has 1 goal 2 assists against the Oilers, and 6 points in last 5 games.
Reinhart has 1 goal 2 assists against the Oilers, and 3 points in last 5 games.

Rodrigues has 3 goals 1 assist against the Oilers, and 5 points in last 5 games.

Depth certainly helps, and of course shooting against Skinner versus the Conn Smythe winner.
yeah, it's not fair to put it all on McDavid. It also hard to not be disappointed. He is the best offensive player in the world and you just listed four guys that have the same or more points as him in this series.

No doubt they will be disappointed but at the same time, there will be a belief that they can do it next year bc past history showed that they will bounced back and get over the hump.
I mean if they gone 3-4yrs being SCF without winning, then that’s another story.
Fair, it will be interesting off-season of they don't win. Draisatl has to renew this off-season, no? I know he doesn't HAVE to, but they want that done and it will be a big number. I have been curious about that one for a couple of years.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd feel more comfortable with going with a depth approach vs pinning everything on just one

Get somebody like Talbot

He won't cost the earth, he can take a starters workload if Woll breaks down but can easily be our 1B if Woll stays fit and he had good numbers last season
He's also got enough experience to be useful around Woll as he's developing into a starter

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The idea of trading Marner for Theodore is insane, as there are names in the free agency that are on the same level and age as puck moving defencemen, for free (if you don't count cap space as a cost):

- Brady Skjei
- Brandon Montour

Brandon Montour has hit the 40 point mark once in his career, and he'll be 30 to start the next season. He's going to get paid like he's the 70 point player he was one time in his career.

Brady Skjei has also only hit 40 points once in his career, he's 30 now. He's also going to get paid like he's the almost-50 point player he was for the first time last year.

As it is most likely, that the "ideal trade" will not happen, which would be something like:

NYI: Dobson+Pageau
DET: Seider+Copp

Those are not ideal. Those are outright fantasies. He's just not worth nearly thatmuch. Not trading Marner last year has tanked his value.

We would be better off to try and grab someone like Montour/Skjei to be paired with McCabe, or if you'd like to get a younger D, ask Vancouver about Hronek, and then run Rielly with Roy/Tanev, whichever you'd get.

As a base, the package for Marner would be a TOP6 forward + a high pick (top 10 in 2024) - which pretty much leaves only Seattle and Utah as options, unless Anaheim or Chicago would like to make a huge splash.

We shall see, I am very intrigued by the opportunity that the Leafs have here to make a huge mark and massively improve the team. I just hope that they don't fudge this up (run it back).

Marner has to go, and we've got limited options. Hopefully, people understand that this trade is just one battle in the war for the Stanley Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad