GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
So Friedman says Marner’s first choice is to play out the year but understands that this could be it?? I kind of don’t understand that. Why would you play under pressure knowing full well throughout the season you’re going to be asked about your future. Wouldn’t you work with the team to get a trade both sides want and go into a contract year with a fresh start on a new team?

Reactions: supermann_98

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Barkov is a top 3 player in the game. He's not flashy but still a ppg player while being possibly the best shutdown center in the game. Might not be a popular opinion here but I'd take Barkov over anyone on our Leafs team, and yes that includes Matthews.

Barkov is excellent, but he’s not a top 3 player and I don’t think there is really any argument to suggest that he is.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So Friedman says Marner’s first choice is to play out the year but understands that this could be it?? I kind of don’t understand that. Why would you play under pressure knowing full well throughout the season you’re going to be asked about your future. Wouldn’t you work with the team to get a trade both sides want and go into a contract year with a fresh start on a new team?

My guess, would be he doesn't care about what the media might ask him. His goal would be to obtain the biggest next contract he could. Playing in Toronto has proven to give him pretty good stats, which will help his next contract. Going somewhere else, might not. If he's going to move, you would think he'd want the certainty of negotiating a fat extension right away. On the other hand, his advice team... Ferris and his Dad, might believe he is the best hockey player of all time, and might get a huge contract as a UFA, with multiple teams bidding.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
My guess, would be he doesn't care about what the media might ask him. His goal would be to obtain the biggest next contract he could. Playing in Toronto has proven to give him pretty good stats, which will help his next contract. Going somewhere else, might not. If he's going to move, you would think he'd want the certainty of negotiating a fat extension right away. On the other hand, his advice team... Ferris and his Dad, might believe he is the best hockey player of all time, and might get a huge contract as a UFA, with multiple teams bidding.

Maybe it's a way of saying he has final say. Place, contract etc. should be to his liking.
Or maybe he's trying to force an extension offer from the leafs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Barkov is excellent, but he’s not a top 3 player and I don’t think there is really any argument to suggest that he is.
I think Barkov plays a similar game to Patrice Bergeron, solid in every aspect of the game……..

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I think Barkov plays a similar game to Patrice Bergeron, solid in every aspect of the game……..
Barkov is definitely on the Bergeron level regarding defensively, if not better just due to his size and being able to compete against bigger heavier players, but he's miles away ahead better then Bergeron offensively. Barkov is at minimum a ppg player while Bergeron was closer to a 60-70 point player. I stand by my statement that Barkov is a top 3 player in the game. When I say, top 3, I'm talking about a complete 200ft player. I'm sure people are going to say well McDavid, Mackinnon, etc etc are better then him. Sure, offensively but they're also horrendous defensively. I'd take a 90 point center who is also the best shutdown center in the game all day.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Barkov is definitely on the Bergeron level regarding defensively, if not better just due to his size and being able to compete against bigger heavier players, but he's miles away ahead better then Bergeron offensively. Barkov is at minimum a ppg player while Bergeron was closer to a 60-70 point player. I stand by my statement that Barkov is a top 3 player in the game. When I say, top 3, I'm talking about a complete 200ft player. I'm sure people are going to say well McDavid, Mackinnon, etc etc are better then him. Sure, offensively but they're also horrendous defensively. I'd take a 90 point center who is also the best shutdown center in the game all day.
Agreed…….

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I would argue 95% of things said on this board is an opinion and not a fact. But ok.

19 times out of 20, I support you opinion, on the percentage of posts that are opinion.

So are the Flames going to rebuild?

Talk around here is about building with draft picks, who might be merging into players in the new arena? I could see some treading water for another couple of seasons. New arena maybe opening 2026.

Some of their players won't be around then, as a 2nd. pairing defender, Andersson would like quite nice on the Leafs blueline.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
19 times out of 20, I support you opinion, on the percentage of posts that are opinion.

So are the Flames going to rebuild?

Talk around here is about building with draft picks, who might be merging into players in the new arena? I could see some treading water for another couple of seasons. New arena maybe opening 2026.

Some of their players won't be around then, as a 2nd. pairing defender, Andersson would like quite nice on the Leafs blueline.
You think they can build a arena that fast? Hell, they can’t fix a water main break in under a month………

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Hear what Tkachuk said about it is very hard and tough to continue to play the way they do every game, hard on forecheck, finish every check, always back check…but it is a lot tougher to play against.

That’s to me is understanding what it takes to win and doing it.

With all the lessons our boys are learning over the years, surprised none of them even have a clue of this.

Reactions: weems and ToneDog

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
He has, but he's also got a lot bigger than Marner. He always strikes me as a guy who does this hockey thing because he's good at it and can use it as a vehicle to be a celebrity and make money. If he were a psychopath like Mac he could be the greatest player of all time. But instead he cares more about the commercials, the fashion, and the hanging out with Bieber when he's not counting his cash. Where as Mac is locked in buttf*** nowhere Nova Scotia in the offseason working his ass off with Sid.

The sad thing is I do genuinely believe Marner is trying out there. But his head is just so far up his own ass he can't do things the right way. And it's too late to remove it because he enjoys the smell too much. He's like that typical tiny 90's movie character that everyone refers to as little bitch. Not just because he's little, but because he's a whiny, oversensitive bitch.

The cap would have to raise astronomically for the Leafs to have enough space to put a good enough team around Matthews and Nylander to mask their playoff failures, except by then Matthews will be due for yet another raise.
Every single word of this I agree with.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Ferris is the type of agent he isn’t discussing anything until July 1st. That is his players right under the contract the Toronto Maple leafs gave him
All these insiders know jack shit and are throwing things at the wall to see what sticks
If you want hits on your site just say leafs are interested in every free agent.
What a joke these guys are
They know absolutely nothing and it’s always with a caveat that says I don’t know this for sure but Vegas would be in on marner and here is who I think they would include in a trade
They like the rest of us will know nothing until it’s about to happen
All these pundits are blowing smoke out their ass

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ferris is the type of agent he isn’t discussing anything until July 1st. That is his players right under the contract the Toronto Maple leafs gave him
All these insiders know jack shit and are throwing things at the wall to see what sticks
If you want hits on your site just say leafs are interested in every free agent.
What a joke these guys are
They know absolutely nothing and it’s always with a caveat that says I don’t know this for sure but Vegas would be in on marner and here is who I think they would include in a trade
They like the rest of us will know nothing until it’s about to happen
All these pundits are blowing smoke out their ass

Ferris might know what marner wants.
Ferris might have to tell marner what he wants.

Only risk marner takes on is catastrophic injury without an extension.

However, they could ask anyone to waive their NMC, including Nylander. Perhaps all the talk is a misdirection?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
When Brady see his brother hoisting the Cup, he will surly ask to be traded to the Leafs. :laugh:
Hear what Tkachuk said about it is very hard and tough to continue to play the way they do every game, hard on forecheck, finish every check, always back check…but it is a lot tougher to play against.

That’s to me is understanding what it takes to win and doing it.

With all the lessons our boys are learning over the years, surprised none of them even have a clue of this.
Knowing what it takes to win and willing to do it are two different things. Our guys are not willing to do what it takes. Why break a nail?

Reactions: Gabriel426

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Why not trade for picks and young players, and sign Roy and Montour/Skjei?

You're not getting Theodore, but making up for it with a better long term plan.
This should be the only plan. Trade marner for high upside young player amd fill in with free agents

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
even if thwy won president trophy, they was one of worst defensive team amou t playoff team and finally be swept in playoff.

Since like january/february last year where Florida finally find their identity, they are a top 3 defensive team in the NHL and they made life easier for Bobrovsky. That's the biggest difference
Wasn’t Vas had like an insane save % that series.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Tkachuk also had a lot to do with everyone buying in to the mentality change.
I mean if Marner says you need to battle harder on the wall and forecheck like a demon are you going to listen? Do any of the 4 even have a that’s not acceptable button?
What playoff urgency and unity are you taking from them?
lmao the guy with 15 points in 27 games and having just quit on his team has a "thats not acceptable" button and changed the mentality of the team? why do people make up narratives without looking first.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Given Brads experience in Calgary and losing Gudreau, I think there is zero chance this plays out all year. Either he extends him or trades him.

Reactions: Kurtz

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Is Lyubushkin staying in Toronto ?
I'd be okay with it depending on who else we pick up in free agency but he should be a 3rd pair on a deep defense.

I thought he was pretty solid but I think he's stated he's testing free agency so he's most likely gone. I think Edmunson has said the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad