GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
So you believe that if they keep Marner they can win? You believe that signing his next contract is shrewd business? The highest paid winger, signed until 36? He will most likely be the highest paid winger for the entirety of his next contract too - depending on what Kaprizov gets.
no id rather let him walk than trade him for garbage like seth jones tied up for long periods of time.

i'm essentially saying unless they knock this trade out of the park some of you folks are going to get super excited and then get your balls busted when we give Brett pesce 7x6m with all this cap space to balance a team lol. If youre saying we should lower our expectations on a trade for Marner then we should also lower our expectations on the resultant use of cap space and signing of free agents. trading him for pennies and then spending that money on bad players is going to f*** us.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
no id rather let him walk than trade him for garbage like seth jones tied up for long periods of time.

i'm essentially saying unless they knock this trade out of the park some of you folks are going to get super excited and then get your balls busted when we give Brett pesce 7x6m with all this cap space to balance a team lol. If youre saying we should lower our expectations on a trade for Marner then we should also lower our expectations on the resultant use of cap space and signing of free agents. trading him for pennies and then spending that money on bad players is going to f*** us.
I’m not advocating for a Seth Jones move or for taking on bad money at all. I’m also of the belief that letting him walk for free is an awful scenario and signing him to his next contract is the worse possible scenario.

I’d trade him for a mediocre positive asset before letting him walk for nothing or signing him to a contract he’s never going to earn.

I also haven’t seen a single person on this board advocate for Pesce. All I see are Roy, Tanev, Montour, Demelo.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
I’m not advocating for a Seth Jones move or for taking on bad money at all. I’m also of the belief that letting him walk for free is an awful scenario and signing him to his next contract is the worse possible scenario.

I’d trade him for a mediocre positive asset before letting him walk for nothing or signing him to a contract he’s never going to earn.

I also haven’t seen a single person on this board advocate for Pesce. All I see are Roy, Tanev, Montour, Demelo.
never said youre advocating for it im saying getting ready to have your balls busted because they're going to misuse the capspace and f*** the team. theyll trade marner and get worse. then theyll try to overcompensate to get better and overpay a bunch of dead weight.

i'll be pleasantly surprised if they prove me wrong and will be the first to come back here and say I was wrong.

Reactions: Americanadian

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
never said youre advocating for it im saying getting ready to have your balls busted because they're going to misuse the capspace and f*** the team. theyll trade marner and get worse. then theyll try to overcompensate to get better and overpay a bunch of dead weight.

i'll be pleasantly surprised if they prove me wrong and will be the first to come back here and say I was wrong.
If trading Marner makes this team worse somehow then maybe this entire core needs to be moved then. I swear so many other teams can move or lose a top player and not miss a beat. Boston loses their top 2 centers who were both Selke level players with 1 being a Selke winner and still beat us and we still struggle to score more than 2 goals a game. They also got nothing in return for them because they retired. So if people think us trading Marner and the package we get in return and then the 30 mil we'd have in cap space would somehow make this team worse then idk what to tell y'all. Sounds like y'all just want that to be true or something so they can come on here and complain about Tre or something.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If trading Marner makes this team worse somehow then maybe this entire core needs to be moved then. I swear so many other teams can move or lose a top player and not miss a beat. Boston loses their top 2 centers who were both Selke level players with 1 being a Selke winner and still beat us and we still struggle to score more than 2 goals a game. They also got nothing in return for them because they retired. So if people think us trading Marner and the package we get in return and then the 30 mil we'd have in cap space would somehow make this team worse then idk what to tell y'all. Sounds like y'all just want that to be true or something so they can come on here and complain about Tre or something.

I think his point is that the downside with Marner is easily manageable, as long as re-signing him isn’t on the table, the worst case scenario is that he walks for nothing and we have a clean slate to work with. With a trade the worst case scenario is that we pick up a big ticket guy that could become a boat anchor for 7 years. No one is forcing us to trade him for a big contract or sign a long term deal in UFA though, that’s entirely up to management.

Losing Bergeron to retirement is a lot easier to deal with than trading Bergeron for PLD at 8.5 forever.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I think his point is that the downside with Marner is easily manageable, as long as re-signing him isn’t on the table, the worst case scenario is that he walks for nothing and we have a clean slate to work with. With a trade the worst case scenario is that we pick up a big ticket guy that could become a boat anchor for 7 years. No one is forcing us to trade him for a big contract or sign a long term deal in UFA though, that’s entirely up to management.

Losing Bergeron to retirement is a lot easier to deal with than trading Bergeron for PLD at 8.5 forever.
I would gladly take on a 25 year old PLC if you're also getting a top prospect in return and bank on PLC being a late bloomer.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Boston also traded Thornton, Kessel, and Seguin when they were all younger than Marner, and didn't miss a beat.

Boston traded those guys in part to enforce the culture they wanted for their team, and it's paid dividends with guys continuing to buy in, play hard, sign reasonable deals, etc. They haven't won a Cup in ~10+ years, but they've gone on multiple runs since then.

Leafs bend to the wills of a few individuals, and then complain about a lack of a winning culture.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The people that think Domi is extending at $3.5 million for term are just not living in reality, IMO. In what world is a UFA with a history of proven production, taking substantially less than $100,000 per point?

I think that the deal winds up getting done in the $4.5 million range, for 4-5 years. I also think he plays the majority of next season with Matthews after Marner is traded, and puts up a quality 60+ point campaign that will justify the contract.

Domi??? Last year???

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Domi needs to sign either a team friendly deal or hit the road. Most of his (sentimental) value comes in knowing what it's like to ham up the Leaf angle and be a supporting cast teammate to a star player. If he's trying to jockey for a hometown overpay and try to get more from the Leafs than anywhere else... no. Sorry.
Completely agree, he and Bert at the right price I would welcome back, but only at the right price…….

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The people that think Domi is extending at $3.5 million for term are just not living in reality, IMO. In what world is a UFA with a history of proven production, taking substantially less than $100,000 per point?

I think that the deal winds up getting done in the $4.5 million range, for 4-5 years. I also think he plays the majority of next season with Matthews after Marner is traded, and puts up a quality 60+ point campaign that will justify the contract.

4m and not a penny more. I used to talk about 80k 90k 100k per point around here when it came to the big 3. Man if only we followed that to the letter. It was around 80 90k back then.

Marner would have been around 8.5m, WN around 7m and Matthews about 9m. You just reminded me of simpler times.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Domi is not going to get 5.5m-6m long term deal, not on a contending team at least. It feels like when Lebrun writes these articles it's too be a mouth piece for the agent. No one is paying a 47 point player 5.5m+, and there's a reason why he's bounced around from team to team over the years.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Domi??? Last year???

Yeah, I think this one is Treliving's next big test. I am not sure he nailed the Nylander contract but he inherited that timing. This one is all his.

On one hand a top line winger, capable of 60 points that plays with some jam and is still under 30 is probably worth $5M or so.

On the other hand, a guy that has bounced around and has been let walk by several teams, signed for $3M on a one year deal a few days after free agency opened might be worth around $3M again.

I feel $4M or less for four or less years is the right ballpark.

Reactions: aingefan

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019

That is true, but unfortunately, thanks to what Shanahan has done with the contracts he has given out, this is the situation we are in. Our window to win a Cup is now down to what, 3-4 years based on Matthews' contract? Since that is the case, we can't assume a top 2 rhd who is ready to step right in and play an integral role, will fall into our lap at the next few drafts. Therefore, we are going to have to get one via free agency or by a trade. In my mind, a GM would have to be an idiot if he had a top 2 rhd and was willing to trade him for Marner, an allstar winger (regular season but not playoffs).

Would Vegas be willing to trade Barbashev (definitely a Berube type player who has played for him) and Theodore for Marner? If so, I would do it.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
i just throw it on the air 3 way deal

to Nashville : Mitch Marner extended

To calgary : Tor 1st round pick + one kemell, wood, molendyk Sveckov or L'heureux

To Toronto Juuse Saros extended and Rasmus Andersson

why that's making sense for calcagy, they are in a rebuild and i don't really they would have any interest on marner or marner to go to Calgary.

Nashville : They was looking to trade Saros last season and with this, they absolutly got was they want with a player like marner who instantly becoming their best foward.

Toronto : Toronto get a great d with Andersson and get their best goalie since Cujo and Ed Belfour at 29. Why i put Saros unstead of Markstrom even if leafs need to give a 1st pick? he's younger and he's better

sign tanev
resign Domi

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Cowan-Jt-Nylander
Mcmann-Holmberg-Robertson
Jarnkrok-Kampf-Reaves/ Dewar

Rielly-Tanev
Mccabe- Andersson
Benoit- ???

Saros
Woll

This trade is exactly what I was thinking, with Tanev signed. May have to throw in Liljergren to Calgary.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019

Hold on! You need to remember that Shanahan is no longer calling the shots!

Reactions: WillNy29

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019

This summer is going to be very interesting. I'm hoping Tre learned from his mistake (if he was the one to blame) on the Huberdeau contract. I don't believe they will be willing to bring back an equally bad contract. And if Marner is brought back to play out his contract, then I'm assuming there was NO deal out there that did not involve a bad contract coming back. At least that way we will have more available cap space next year.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Let's pretend the Brady Tkachuk rumours are true. How about a hockey trade!

Tkachuk + Mathieu Joseph + 2nd
Marner (extended) + 4th

I added Joseph because Ottawa is a cap team so I'm making the salaries match. Joseph is a decent, but overpaid, bottom 6 player. He's really good defensively. We get the higher pick because of the "cap dump" though.

Tkachuk is a great Marner replacement. Exactly what we need.

I also feel that Ottawa isn't out of the question for Mitch. He may want a child soon. His wife's family is in Oshawa - a 3 hour drive without crossing a border. Mitch's family is in Markham - 3:30 hours (with the 407). Family support may be important to him and his wife. You just don't know what each player values.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad