GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
If Domi was smart, he should ask for a 1 year deal. Play with Matthews, push his numbers up.

Then look to sign longer term.
Rarely are incoming UFA's looking for 1-year deals. It's too risky. Look what happened to Klingberg with the Stars; turned down a long-term deal (that would have been a catastrophic overpayment and led to a buyout, but still) and his career fell off a cliff. Cost him millions.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Domi

3.5M x 6
4M x 5
4.5M x 4

Those are the three offers I would give him

Bertuzzi

4M x 4 is the offer I would give him
Domi won't get more that Bert and Bert will easily get more than 4 with the cap rising. Willie got a 4.5m raise alone. What an overpay IMO. Yeah but some will argue, it is ok to overpay the stars by a million or two. Really? The guys who have won 1 round in 9 attempts. Only in Toronto.

Reactions: Al14

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Would be nice to fast forward to the Draft and then the open of UFA’s.

All the projection and spitballing by those posing to be in the know, along with random twitter-twit posers just bring too much noise.

In the end, they are all a bunch of online nobodies.

Let me know when Bobby Mac says something….

Thank goodness summer brings its own distractions.

Won’t pay attention until those dates come and go and see where we land.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I want Marner traded as much as everybody else, but I can’t see us getting anywhere close to an even trade in terms of the talent coming back. I would be very pleased if it was just draft picks and cap space that we get back. The biggest hurdle in my mind is finding a team who will be willing to sign him for the amount he’ll be looking for on his next contract. Does anyone know how much the top wingers are making?
Lose the battle win the war. Goal is to win a cup. Even if we lose out on some value I could care less. There are plenty of teams interested. If we can strike a deal great but it may not happen either ofc. And top wingers are making 10 mil plus easy.

Reactions: Americanadian

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Leafs need someone who can adjust, fit in, within a month, hopefully by the end of October plays like a top 6 forward.

If a prospect came up and produced next to nothing for 2.5 months he'd be tarred, feathered and sent back to the minors, with a big fat BUST label applied.

If there was a CR on players ... Which Car Brands Make the Best Vehicles? - Consumer Reports

Want a Subaru not a Jeep.
A Subaru is in the budget.
If the Subaru turns into a BMW ... that would be okay, except the cost to service the player might be out of Cap restraints.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I understand that it's a small sample size and he's not used to the big ice, but Binnington's performance hasn't confidence inspiring. I wasn't hot on him before this tournament - less so now.
Do we really care about a players performance in the loser tournament on a different continent?

Binnington has a long enough resume of dominant playoff performances to outweigh some dumb tournament

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Do we really care about a players performance in the loser tournament on a different continent?

Binnington has a long enough resume of dominant playoff performances to outweigh some dumb tournament
I've been advocating for Binnington on this board but I'm not sure we can say he has a long resume of strong playoff performances. He has his cup year where he was very good but then back to back years where he was very bad then one year where he redeemed himself.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Domi

3.5M x 6
4M x 5
4.5M x 4

Those are the three offers I would give him

Bertuzzi

4M x 4 is the offer I would give him
These are realistic numbers, definitely no more money for these two……..

Domi won't get more that Bert and Bert will easily get more than 4 with the cap rising. Willie got a 4.5m raise alone. What an overpay IMO. Yeah but some will argue, it is ok to overpay the stars by a million or two. Really? The guys who have won 1 round in 9 attempts. Only in Toronto.
Those numbers are spot on, regardless of the stupid contract Styles got, hope he’s the next core piece to go after Marner and JT……….

Lose the battle win the war. Goal is to win a cup. Even if we lose out on some value I could care less. There are plenty of teams interested. If we can strike a deal great but it may not happen either ofc. And top wingers are making 10 mil plus easy.
Addition by subtraction, it’s a real thing………

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
$10 million, in my mind, would still be a slight overpayment for Marner.

Reactions: Frostitute

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Most I'd go for Domi is 3.5 x 3.
I’d go a little higher, but this is the ballpark of what he’s worth to the Leafs imo, the gravy train hopefully has left the station once and for all………

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
LeBrun and Alter.
I think Alter is pretty credible. Don't really care for LeBrun but he's usually pretty accurate.

Still a bit surprised Domi thinks he's that much. I hope he takes a home discount.

I'm so tired of every guy coming to Toronto and asking for the moon. They have to stop this shit (the management).

I can't blame the players in a way because when you sign 4 guys at the top like that then the other guys are like what about me.

I'm hoping that what Tre and Berube are saying is a fact. That they want everyone on the team to feel important.

You can't have the country club mentality. That's the same thing that killed the Leafs after their great runs in the early 2000s.

It's really why Marner has to be considered a real possibility to be traded.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Sure, paying him at least $12 million, having great regular seasons, putting up some points in the playoffs but not being able to be “the guy” to make the difference in crucial situations because he avoids contact at all costs, never holding himself accountable? No thanks!
I thought you were talking about marner but what your saying is just as much applied to Matthews

Reactions: JKG33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad