GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Marner for Andersson and Markstrom with some retention

Who adds and how much?
Calgary and a f*** ton.

As much as marner gets crapped on. He is still an extremely good player. If he gets traded it will likely be a package as I dont think there are too many singular players out there available for a 1 to 1 kind of trade.

I cant see marner waiving for calgary as well.

Reactions: TMLife17

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Calgary and a f*** ton.

As much as marner gets crapped on. He is still an extremely good player. If he gets traded it will likely be a package as I dont think there are too many singular players out there available for a 1 to 1 kind of trade.

I cant see marner waiving for calgary as well.
I agree Marner would not waive for Calgary.

I also think Andersson gets pretty underrated around the league. But ya Calgary probably still adds.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Trading marner would really complete the team well. Imagine his return + the cap space to sign some good ufas. Not to mention some young elc players. Really need to spread the talent here IMHO.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Kempe at his cap hit is definitely better than Marner snd his cap hit, crazy people still deny ghe fact that Marner isn’t worth yhe cost……..

Marner’s s President’s Trophy kind of player, Stanley Cup nit so much…….

Hyman did plenty, snd on one leg no less…….

There's no such thing as a president's trophy player and a Stanley Cup player.

It's about strong team depth with few weaknesses.

This team over the last 5 years, decided that it was ok to run Justin Holl on the shutdown pair. Decided that they wanted to protect him in the expansion draft.

They decided to keep Kerfoot because he offered good value at $3.5M. They decided to keep Muzzin and Brodie past their expiry date because they might be too expensive to replace.

Blame management and coaches for this. Not the players.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I've seen a few lineup scenarios where they end up having more cash to play with than some think. Brodie + Klingberg is essentially enough for a couple top 4 guys or close to it.

If Tre really revamps the supporting cast, and guys like Kampf, Jarnkrok are moved there's more money.

I also won't be surprised if they end up going cheap on goaltending. Get a vet 1B for a tandem for a couple years. Though I keep hearing contradictory things.

And obviously a muh different ballgame if a core piece is moved too, which resets all salary structure predictions

I've been on cap friendly a fair bit and I'm struggling to make that work without somebody with some serious salary coming off the books

Even when I go cheap on one of the defenseman I'm doing it tough and 3C is problematic without some funds

Chatter about Domi wanting term at $5-6 million is outrageous.

Didn't Crack 50 points and had about 10 goals, I'd tell him to **** off

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It’s utter nonsense. He had a down year from last year and is expected to double his money and get five times the term? Truly the torot media tax.

Max is a guy who has been a journeyman for a few years, looking to come home, pulls on a few sentimental heart strings and plays old school Leafs hockey, makes friends with the big star on the team… and proceeds to bend the home team over a barrel in negotiations?

I get negotiations are negotiations but when you aren’t worth that to most NHL teams, why is Toronto the place that has to pay premium if this is where you want to be?

This bet on yourself mercenary culture needs to go, and it’s not going to work if that’s what Max wants. This shit has to stop.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Max is a guy who has been a journeyman for a few years, looking to come home, pulls on a few sentimental heart strings and plays old school Leafs hockey, makes friends with the big star on the team… and proceeds to bend the home team over a barrel in negotiations?

I get negotiations are negotiations but when you aren’t worth that to most NHL teams, why is Toronto the place that has to pay premium if this is where you want to be?

This bet on yourself mercenary culture needs to go, and it’s not going to work if that’s what Max wants. This shit has to stop.
We're to damn soft and seen as an easy touch when Agents play the media game

Enough, offer him 3.5M×4 years and tell him to either take it or piss off

It's time to stop this ****

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
There's no such thing as a president's trophy player and a Stanley Cup player.

It's about strong team depth with few weaknesses.

This team over the last 5 years, decided that it was ok to run Justin Holl on the shutdown pair. Decided that they wanted to protect him in the expansion draft.

They decided to keep Kerfoot because he offered good value at $3.5M. They decided to keep Muzzin and Brodie past their expiry date because they might be too expensive to replace.

Blame management and coaches for this. Not the players.
Yup, Holl and Kerfoot were why the Leafs didn’t win a round in the playiffs this year, thanks for enlightening me………

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

I agree with this take on Domi's leverage or lack thereof in negotiations.

Last year be got $3M on a one year deal a few days after free agency opened. That was the market for him. He had bounced around and every team seemed OK letting him go.

So, the Leafs sign him and he has an OK season and an OK playoff. He came on strong at the end when out beside a guy scoring 70 goals. Before this we really couldn't find a role or slot for him.

He was a good fit with Matthews, in that respect he helps absorb some of the loss of Marner if we deal him. He also seemed well liked by his teammates and the fans like him. He is pretty one dimensional though and I suspect he plays better when he doesn't have long term security. Is a team really going to give him 4 or 5 years at $4M or $5M? Maybe 4 x $4M from a desperate team with cap space. This is why we offer him 4 or 5 x $3.5M. We can live with that number and be wants to be here.

By the way, a similar argument could be made for Tavares' lack of leverage on his renewal. He has made lots of money, is the captain, his family is here, he wants to be here and to win here. Who is offering JT lots of money and term? I would give him $10M over four years...$2.5M per and I would have him sign it soon after July 1 so people can be happy with JT again and know he is going to be coming at big discount a year after this final year that is too big.

Reactions: Al14

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Trading marner would really complete the team well. Imagine his return + the cap space to sign some good ufas. Not to mention some young elc players. Really need to spread the talent here IMHO.
I want Marner traded as much as everybody else, but I can’t see us getting anywhere close to an even trade in terms of the talent coming back. I would be very pleased if it was just draft picks and cap space that we get back. The biggest hurdle in my mind is finding a team who will be willing to sign him for the amount he’ll be looking for on his next contract. Does anyone know how much the top wingers are making?

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019

Who put this out there that Max is looking for $5-$6 million on a long term contract? Is he a reliable source?

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Why are we discussing Kings trade possibilites? They have nothing the leafs want outside of Byfeld and Brandt Clarke and I don't see them getting traded.

Lets not do these inane Kempe at $5.5M is actually better than Marner at $10.9 nonsense. It's the dumbest thing I've ever read.
So are you saying Marner at $10.9 (and expected to be at $12 on his next one) is better than Kempe at $5.5? Having Kempe and that extra cap space would be much more valuable.

When the playoffs roll, I’d take Hyman and Kempe on the wings with Matthews over Marner at the same price everyday.

Regular season and going to the All-Star game, sure Marner is better.
And I could care less about what happens in the regular season. It’s how they perform in the playoffs that matter the most.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
You remember Hyman over here doing jack shit in the playoffs? Maybe you'll be salivating over Marner in 3 years.
Sure, paying him at least $12 million, having great regular seasons, putting up some points in the playoffs but not being able to be “the guy” to make the difference in crucial situations because he avoids contact at all costs, never holding himself accountable? No thanks!

Reactions: Al14 and LeafSteel

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Better depth? He was riding shotgun with Matthews/Marner... it isn't like he was playing 3rd line and needed help.

He also was bad under 2 coaches.

He really just needed McDavid.

I like Hyman, but he will go down as one of the most overrated players ever because of who he has played with every season.
Say what you want about Hyman, but he has achieved what he has because he always has put in the work and knows what he has to do to be successful.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I want Marner traded as much as everybody else, but I can’t see us getting anywhere close to an even trade in terms of the talent coming back. I would be very pleased if it was just draft picks and cap space that we get back. The biggest hurdle in my mind is finding a team who will be willing to sign him for the amount he’ll be looking for on his next contract. Does anyone know how much the top wingers are making?
I'll be pleasantly surprised if the trade value is even, for me that ship sailed once the NMC kicked in. There are tons of potential trading partners that make sense for the Leafs and the acquiring team, but does it make sense for Marner? If it's all about maximizing dollars on his next deal, he'll get that contract but I doubt it would be from a contender.

Ideally a roster player filing a need is coming our way, but I would be fine with picks, a prospect and 11m in cap space.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
If Domi was smart, he should ask for a 1 year deal. Play with Matthews, push his numbers up.

Then look to sign longer term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad