GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Fiala will the main piece heading our way with a trade with MM. Ofcourse Kings will need to add more.

I don't see it. He makes too much, Kempe/Danault you're filling middle 6C and a top 6 wing spot for equal to Marner's spot.

Fiala at 8M doesn't offer enough savings unless Clarke is coming our way but I doubt they're giving him up.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Why?

They aren't buying out Dubois so that leaves them with Kopitar, Dubois and Lizotte at centre, they might need to find a 3rd line centre in this scenario.

Kempe wasn't even a pt/game, this isn't some insane trade idea here even though their primary focus probably is at goaltending.
Kempe is LA's best forward. Hits, scores, PP, PK. Dubois is likely a winger. Danault is the 2C

Reactions: Rude Dog

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I like Kempe but it's not even close in terms of value

Marner's last 3 years 281 pts in 221 gp = 1.27 pt/game
Kempe's last 3 years 196 pts in 237 gp = 0.83 (rounded up)
That's fine, LA still doesn't do that trade tho.

TMac played a system that absolutely neutered offense

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That's fine, LA still doesn't do that trade tho.

TMac played a system that absolutely neutered offense

I'll wait and see on that, they managed to trade some pretty good pieces to Winnipeg for Dubois and locked him up on a crap deal.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'll wait and see on that, they managed to trade some pretty good pieces to Winnipeg for Dubois and locked him up on a crap deal.
I mean yea that one was a dumb move.

Let me rephrase, a team would be stupid to trade away Kempe for Marner. But LA might be stupid enough lol

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Any other ideas?

I've thought about Kempe and Danault

Parayko and Buchnevich (retained) but unlikely Buchnevich stays long term.

Need to find useful guys now, Korczak is someone I seriously think can be a top 4 RD sooner rather than later.
Wright from Seattle
That RD in Columbus
Guys who are close to ready and the shine has come off them a touch

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I mean yea that one was a dumb move.

Let me rephrase, a team would be stupid to trade away Kempe for Marner. But LA might be stupid enough lol

No offense but the amount of times we've collectively on HFBoards said "No way XXX would/wouldn't XXXX" - it happens and then everyone is like "woah"

We're in the boring part of the off-season for Toronto until the fireworks start at draft/free agency and then back to silence, so I don't mind the throwing crap at the wall stuff for the time being.

Wright from Seattle
That RD in Columbus
Guys who are close to ready and the shine has come off them a touch

You could get me on Jiricek+

Isn't Marner awfully similar to Gaudreau though? Will Marner waive?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
No offense but the amount of times we've collectively on HFBoards said "No way XXX would/wouldn't XXXX" - it happens and then everyone is like "woah"

We're in the boring part of the off-season for Toronto until the fireworks start at draft/free agency and then back to silence, so I don't mind the throwing crap at the wall stuff for the time being.

You could get me on Jiricek+

Isn't Marner awfully similar to Gaudreau though? Will Marner waive?
Fair enough. I just don't see positive value for LA on that one, and not when they already have a cheaper Marner in Fiala. Plus no cap space as is and still need a goalie. Doubling the cap hit of a 1st line winger just makes 0 sense. It's not like Marner would make a difference in tryna beat Edmonton.

This is like the kinda trade ya make in chel BAGM

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I like Kempe but it's not even close in terms of value, and I do watch the Kings.

I’ll take the lower ppg difference, if the playoff goal scoring is better.
Really, is Colorado missing the playoffs if MacKinnon gets 140 points or 100.
If Matthews gets 50 goals instead of 69?
But score 1 goal in the playoffs and you could be done. It depends on the fit.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Fair enough. I just don't see positive value for LA on that one, and not when they already have a cheaper Marner in Fiala. Plus no cap space as is and still need a goalie. Doubling the cap hit of a 1st line winger just makes 0 sense. It's not like Marner would make a difference in tryna beat Edmonton.

This is like the kinda trade ya make in chel BAGM

Kings salary cap situation isn't all that dire?

1716595892400.png

1716595910332.png

Grundstrom according to main boards might be a candidate for a non-tender, even Lizotte too depending on the contract ask.

Thomas had a pretty nice call up but not sure they'd trust him on the 3rd line though.

I assume for the rest of them such as Byfield, Lizotte, Kaliyev and Spence they would bridge?

8.7M for a starter and a 3rd line C/W

I wonder if Ullmark would be agreeable to a trade? Boston said they want more scoring, maybe Kaliyev+ is something that works for Boston.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Talbot was my #2 choice but I could see him signing for 1 year 1.5M - 500k raise on his previous deal.

I think Theodore does provide offense which we need and primarily is RD so it does fill a hole although he's a pending UFA and is likely going to want at least Rielly money which will likely force us to jettison Rielly maybe a year later.
I don't think we'd be in cap hell when you think about it with Theodore or have to get rid of Rielly. I mean assuming he gets 7.5-8.5. Let's say the hypothetical deal here is Marner + For Theodore + Roy and we sign Theodore to 8.5 next offseason.

Matthews 13.2
Nylander 11.5
Theodore 8.5
Rielly 7.5

Would probably be your 4 highest cap hits barring something crazy. Like Knies getting 90 points before his contract or we acquiring someone different.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Tell me you don't watch the Kings without telling me...

Kempe at $5.5>Marner at $11+

The Kings front office would drive Kempe to the airport themselves if he was the main piece in deal for Marner.

Come on, man. What are we doing here? This is a 100 point 2-way winger.

I want him traded as well because of the Leafs roster construction and salary allocation but this is getting ridiculous.

Reactions: WillNy29 and pdson

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think we'd be in cap hell when you think about it with Theodore or have to get rid of Rielly. I mean assuming he gets 7.5-8.5. Let's say the hypothetical deal here is Marner + For Theodore + Roy and we sign Theodore to 8.5 next offseason.

Matthews 13.2
Nylander 11.5
Theodore 8.5
Rielly 7.5

Would probably be your 4 highest cap hits barring something crazy. Like Knies getting 90 points before his contract or we acquiring someone different.

I'm hoping we're smart and get in early...extend Knies 6-8 years this off-season for 4.5-4.85M - you're overpaying for a few years but hopefully win in the end.

If we did extend Theodore, I am definitely looking to move Rielly.

Reactions: Tony Romo

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I like Kempe but it's not even close in terms of value, and I do watch the Kings.

Marner's contract is 11 million per year (1.27 pt/game).
Kempe's contract is 5.5 million for 3 more years (0.83 pt/game).

If we will take salary into account we can say Kempe is (1.66 pt/game)…

Reactions: JKG33

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'd be trying to get somebody young with long term cheap team control

If we get a Saros or Theodore as the main piece we're going to be in cap hell as soon as next season again, if we're trading Marner i want to solve that problem long term

If you’re contending, you’re going to be near the cap. The problem we’ve had is that we have so much money tied up in the least important positions that we had to budget in the most important positions.

Reactions: kinghock

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If you’re contending, you’re going to be near the cap. The problem we’ve had is that we have so much money tied up in the least important positions that we had to budget in the most important positions.

Our problem was we had to much money tied up in to few players which happens again when either of those guys new deals kick in

It's still scrubs and stars

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It's amazing that you use the argument that prospects are nothing until proven, and then turn around and use Columbus young prospect/players as examples of NHL C's in the same post. Then you double down, and talk about Askarov... a goalie with three NHL games.... So what is it? You never know with prospects, especially goalies, or are Nashville at a critical decision making time, to decide between their good goalie, or a guy with three NHL games?

I can see why Nashville would have interest in Marner, but it won't be Saros that would get moved. Askarov... maybe... Schenn.. maybe... 1st round pick (4th OA?) maybe, one of their forward prospects? But then... here we are again, talking about prospects and picks mostly.

Kent Johnson is being used as a winger... not a C. It doesn't look like he'll be a C. Were you completely unaware of this before posting?... don't know anything about the team?... but saw him listed as a C? Both Nylander and Marner were drafted as C's too.... Nylander is still often listed as one... but nobody would be dumb enough to claim Nylander is a C.... same should go with Johnson. If you are paying attention, you wouldn't claim he's a C.

Jenner is a glorified, really good 3C. I really like Fantilli, but this is a guy who put up 27 points last year. Columbus main need is C. Columbus's organization strength is young talented wingers.... They may actually have a surplus. C is a need... and will continue to be.

Yes.. you've brought up Nolan Patrick as an example why prospects might not work... without knowing any history on the guy.
Talked about Columbus wingers being their C depth.
Talked about why prospects are nothing until proven, and then used prospects as proof of organizational strength and decision making in the same posts.

Good stuff man, high quality!!!
q-Why he would not be Saros, if you want value you need to give value. If they are okay to continue with Askarov. Like they already doing it with Rinne over Vokoun. No body anticipated nashville moving jones for johansen but they did it, no body expected subban beong traded for Weber but it's happening. No body saw Luomgo moving back from Vancouver to florida bu its happened. You just don't know what Gm want so stop trying to act like you know it.

2-Columbus are in a rebuild!!! The goal for columbus is to develop their young player and build around.
-Toronto in a WIN NOW mode. The goal is to get player who will help the team right now.

prospect and young player don't have the same view

3-Johnson had been draft as a pure center and and started in NHL as winger. Nylander has been draft as a RW who can play at C like easton Cowan. so don't know what you really want to say here...
It's just wrong... you seem to have no idea who actually plays at C. They have tried Laine at C, because they lack C depth... and then used a drafted LW at C because of it.... It's a repeated posting of complete BS, as it seems you have no idea what is actually happening.
1- Leafs tried nylander at C...but during the season Domi step up as C #3. When Domi switch on matthews wing, holmberg took this job and did well. When Matthews get injred, Domi step up at c. So the fact leafs tried nylander doesn't leafs really having a need at the position. Its the same thing with columbus.

2- Fantilli get injured, Jenner get injured, Roslovic injured, and kuraly get injured, Johnson had a bad 2nd season and came back couple of game in AHL to find his game back. Sure that's hurt the position.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The Kings front office would drive Kempe to the airport themselves if he was the main piece in deal for Marner.

Come on, man. What are we doing here? This is a 100 point 2-way winger.

I want him traded as well because of the Leafs roster construction and salary allocation but this is getting ridiculous.
Nah that ain't it. It's a cap world, and Marner wouldn't put up those kinda points in LA where offense goes to die.
Kings salary cap situation isn't all that dire?

View attachment 875425

View attachment 875426

Grundstrom according to main boards might be a candidate for a non-tender, even Lizotte too depending on the contract ask.

Thomas had a pretty nice call up but not sure they'd trust him on the 3rd line though.

I assume for the rest of them such as Byfield, Lizotte, Kaliyev and Spence they would bridge?

8.7M for a starter and a 3rd line C/W

I wonder if Ullmark would be agreeable to a trade? Boston said they want more scoring, maybe Kaliyev+ is something that works for Boston.
Byfield is unfortunately gunna get a huge payday. More than enough that there's not much room more for a goalie or turning Kempe into a winger that costs double

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nah that ain't it. It's a cap world, and Marner wouldn't put up those kinda points in LA where offense goes to die.

Byfield is unfortunately gunna get a huge payday. More than enough that there's not much room more for a goalie or turning Kempe into a winger that costs double

How much are you guys projecting on Byfield? 55 pts is nice and it's nice he's finally breaking out but I don't think he would really command much more than 4-5M on a 2-3 year deal, if you guys are going for term and paying for the potential....okay yea I see the price going up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad