GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
What is the point of bringing back nearly the exact same lineup?

The only justification is to see what Berube could do with them. Honestly aside from Mitch’s constant disappearing act in the playoffs that top 9 looks exactly like what Berube and Treliving would want. It’s heavy but not unskilled, there’s some speed, and they’d be a nightmare on the forecheck and down low.

Reactions: OVO16

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
AFP Analytics released their final salary projections for 24-25 this week, of note:

Leafs:
Domi 2x3.6M
Bertuzzi 4x5.3M
Dewar 2x1.4M
Edmundson 2x1.7M
Liljegren 4x4.1M
Lyubushkin 2x1.5M
Robertson 2x1.4M

Notable UFA:
Montour 6x7.7M
Lindholm 5x6.75M
Pesce 5x6.25M
Roy 5x5.8M
Tanev 3x4.5M
Zadorov 5x5.3M
Debrusk 5x5.8M
Demelo 4x5.3M
Arvidsson 3x4.75M
Carrier 3x4M
Foegele 3x3.9M
Chatfield 4x3.65M
Joshua 4x3.25M
Trenin 3x2.55M
Stolarz 2x2.2M
Brossoit 2x2.1M

Some of these would fit in pretty well. Not sure Liljegren has earned that cap hit and term but I could easily see him play to that value. Lyubushkin at 1.5M would be great. No way Domi takes up another short-term deal.

I'd much rather target Foegele or even DeBrusk over Bertuzzi. Roy and Chatfield would round out our D very well at those cap hits. Montour over 7.5M seems really high but I wouldn't be surprised if he got it. If the Leafs can shed Kampf, Joshua would be an expensive replacement but would be a lot more liked for what he provides.

Reactions: aingefan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Some of these would fit in pretty well. Not sure Liljegren has earned that cap hit and term but I could easily see him play to that value. Lyubushkin at 1.5M would be great. No way Domi takes up another short-term deal.

I'd much rather target Foegele or even DeBrusk over Bertuzzi. Roy and Chatfield would round out our D very well at those cap hits. Montour over 7.5M seems really high but I wouldn't be surprised if he got it. If the Leafs can shed Kampf, Joshua would be an expensive replacement but would be a lot more liked for what he provides.

Does Chatfield not give off vibes of a healthier Timmins?

I was watching him on Carolina and it's like...you're the #6 and it was a pretty good group of defenseman, just felt super sheltered.

Reactions: jaric1862

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Does Chatfield not give off vibes of a healthier Timmins?

I was watching him on Carolina and it's like...you're the #6 and it was a pretty good group of defenseman, just felt super sheltered.

Maybe. He's pretty mobile and a bit of a late bloomer. I think he's someone that can play higher/more minutes and he can make plays. I just think he can be that next diamond in the rough kind of signing from my viewings. He only just turned 28 years old.

Every other defenseman are 29-30+ in age and a lot more established/expensive. Sometimes going for that under the radar player can pay dividends. You don't need to chase after every established high priced option.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Maybe. He's pretty mobile and a bit of a late bloomer. I think he's someone that can play higher/more minutes and he can make plays. I just think he can be that next diamond in the rough kind of signing from my viewings. He only just turned 28 years old.

Every other defenseman are 30s+ in age and a lot more established/expensive. Sometimes going for that under the radar player can pay dividends. You don't need to after every established high priced option.

I guess the projection by Seravelli versus what might happen is the challenge.

I could go for something like 1.5 x 1 or 2 years but someone may offer up more.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

Every other defenseman are 30s+ in age and a lot more established/expensive. Sometimes going for that under the radar player can pay dividends. You don't need to after every established high priced option.
I see him as a slight upgrade on Lili offensively and about as good on D

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
They need defence and goaltending , we’ve known this for 5 + years . Bertuzzi and domi are not difference makers . Nice to haves but honestly get some f***ing d already at peace, Edmundsson and a guy that has a shot for the pp

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I see him as a slight upgrade on Lili offensively and about as good on D

You wouldn't be getting him to play 25 minutes a night, so I think that would probably be ok if the term/cap hit is below 4M or so. You need depth of all kinds.

But I'd probably rather keep Liljegren over replacing him with Chatfield or whatever you can muster anyway.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
LeBrun says early convos between Leafs and Domi have happened. He thinks it might take a 5-6 year deal between 5M and 6M to get it done... ouch.

If they move on from a core player I expect both Domi and Bert to be back,.even at mildly inflated prices. And maybe still even if they don't change the core

You pay a premium for a free agent, and it's not as if there's going to be a flood.of bargains out there. Tre I think will move.to lock in the players the Leafs are familiar with - as they did with Kampf last offseason

Reactions: SprDaVE

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Sean Walker, another decent RD, also on this list projected at 4.8M AAV.
For Brodie money you definitely do need to that, although I like Roy a bit more. Can't see anyone giving Tanev 3 years. Too many hard miles I think. When did 50pt forwards become worth $6M. I guess these must be Leaf adjusted :).

I would deal Lilly if he has a big enough shine to another club. Hasn't been consistent enough for $3.4 x 3. Just find another $1.5M and sign Walker.

Reactions: Duffman955

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
For Brodie money you definitely do need to that, although I like Roy a bit more. Can't see anyone giving Tanev 3 years. Too many hard miles I think. When did 50pt forwards become worth $6M. I guess these must be Leaf adjusted :).

I would deal Lilly if he has a big enough shine to another club. Hasn't been consistent enough for $3.4 x 3. Just find another $1.5M and sign Walker.
I got no problem giving Tanev three years, hell I'd give him five, let him retire to Robidas Island...........

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Pierre Lebrun is truly a f***ing idiot.

Domi got 1 year 3 mill AAV deal after a 56 point season. He followed it up with a 49 point season and is suddenly going to double his AAV and get term that he has never gotten over the course of his career?

I'd love Domi back at 2-3 years at around his current AAV.

I think the level of fat in Lebrun's body is beginning to collapse on his brain.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I would very much want the leafs to go after Nicholas Roy. 3m for a 3C maybe a bit steep, but would be a pretty good player to have and would add some size.

Maybe able to get him with VGK cap situation.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would very much want the leafs to go after Nicholas Roy. 3m for a 3C maybe a bit steep, but would be a pretty good player to have and would add some size.

Doesn't matter what I think but if I ran that team, Howden and Whitecloud are easily the 2 guys I jettison.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Domi got 1 year 3 mill AAV deal after a 56 point season. He followed it up with a 49 point season and is suddenly going to double his AAV and get term that he has never gotten over the course of his career?

I think the level of fat in Lebrun's body is beginning to collapse on his brain.
Max must be taking him out to lunch on a regular basis………

He’d be a great pick up, better player than Domi or Bert imo…….

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Is everyone forgetting how useless Bertuzzi was for the majority of the season and how his "playoff style" did absolutely nothing for the team?

I want Domi back and don't mind a raise for him, but if Bertuzzi comes back, I hope it is at 3-4 million absolutely tops, and I know he won't take that.

Reactions: aingefan and Erndog

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010

When’s the last time Lebrun has broken any news ? He might be the worst insider out of the lot.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The only justification is to see what Berube could do with them. Honestly aside from Mitch’s constant disappearing act in the playoffs that top 9 looks exactly like what Berube and Treliving would want. It’s heavy but not unskilled, there’s some speed, and they’d be a nightmare on the forecheck and down low.

1st year will be a watch and learn season for Berube, better re-sign JT and Marner so we can see what Berube can really do with them in 2026.

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog and TMLAM34

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

People seem to be chomping at the bit to sign Stephenson and/or Lindholm...

Reactions: LeafSteel

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Stamkos can go f*** himself.

Guy was -21 on a good TB team this year, I'm not even sure how that's possible. PP merchant.
+/- is so over rated. Kind of surprised that someone who has been on these sites for so long you would even use that stat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad