GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Domi definitely brings an element we've missed since Kadri, but that deal sounds rough. He used to make 5.3 AAV and played his way down to 3. Not too keen on being doomed to repeat history.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Having seen Wright play, I would suggest that there is zero chance his game won't translate to the NHL, and he had success playing in the NHL this year. Next year, he'll be around 30-40 points in the NHL. He will help Seattle NEXT year... he will help them be better NEXT year. If we traded for him, he would make us better NEXT year. Better C depth, and cheap. He's probably in the 50ish points range as his peak.

That you bring up Nolan Patrick as an example, of someone who didn't work out, suggests you really don't have any idea about Nolan Patrick's journey, or why he didn't work out. Patrick was a talented kid, but someone who never should have been picked where he was. That was easy to see he was a huge risk. How you wish to compare Patrick, and Wright... I have no idea. It lacks any knowledge of the players involved. I mean, you really picked a bad one here.... this is my comment on Patrick pre-draft... 2017 NHL Draft: Grant McCagg's Top 10 (Updated on-the-fly, not intermittently)

That you bring up Columbus, and their "needs", suggests that you really don't know Columbus at all. Trade Marner for Werenski, and then their three highest paid players are wingers. They need a quality Center, not a winger. Trading their 24 minute a game D, who drives offense from the back end, for another winger would be a fireable offense. Nashville is already on record, as is Saros, saying they want to extend... so no, that isn't happening.

I get making comments on prospects, and picks... and the risks involved, when you don't know anything about picks or prospects... such as Patrick, and it seems Wright but if you actually knew about these players, you certainly wouldn't be making a Patrick vs. Wright comparison.. and saying see... Patrick didn't work out... when him not working out was entirely predictable. Oh, ya.. what did I say about Patrick BEFORE the draft? he's likely going to miss a lot of time, and at some point, maybe even risking his career, and production dropping, due to injuries. He's a big risk from that perspective.... :laugh:
I heard the same exact thing about Cody Glass and Vegas was also sure he would became a great player and it was not even an option for vegas to trade him for Pacioretty and they traded Suzuki unstead... Result Glass was a fail and Suzuki a great player because YOU NEVER KNOW with prospect.

Columbus already having fantilli, jenner, Johnson at C. They need player who will be able to make progress their young player and a player playing the right way and play a complete 200 feet game. Yes it's certainly a need for columbus.

Saros can want to extend, one day Nashville will need to make a choice between saros and Askarov, they will not be able to keep them together for a long time. So yes if they can bring in a guy like Marner who's perfectly fit into Trotz philosophy, they will do it!

Reactions: Duffman955

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Lmao I love the fact that there is mutual interest in both Domi and Bertuzzi....but that contract would be awful

I don't believe that one bit. Lebrun is smoking crack

Frank Seravelli precitied that Domix would get 3 yrs, somehow a 3.5 AAV

Reactions: hockeywiz542

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
A 4 something x 4 I could stomach for Domi but getting over 5 that seems a bit much.

Depends on what happens with a few other guys though. Lots of trades this year I'm thinking for a number of teams. I think it'll be a pretty busy off season.
Yup. I'm a fan of Domi's game but anything over 4M is an overpay, especially given our depth on the left side. He's only slightly more useful than Kerfoot who makes 3.5M. You can maybe convince me to go up to 4.5M to bring him on level with former Leafs like Moore and Marchment, but he would have to give us term.

Reactions: Burnie97

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The agents are probably feeding the media clowns like LeBrun who throw out these ludicrous numbers. I really liked having Domi but in no way is he worth 5-6M with term, he's not even a 50 pt player. If Tre wants to change this culture we need to get out of the business of overpaying for players. Domi can take sub 4.5 or walk, Bert can walk.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Reactions: Jmo89

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
LeBrun says early convos between Leafs and Domi have happened. He thinks it might take a 5-6 year deal between 5M and 6M to get it done... ouch.

That would be a disgusting contract.

$3.5 mill AAV x 4 would be the absolute max for me.

There’s no way they can bring both these guys back if Marner is staying. The blue line needs to be the #1 priority. Ideally, you add 3 new defenceman.

Rielly-x
x-x
Benoit-McCabe

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I heard the same exact thing about Cody Glass and Vegas was also sure he would became a great player and it was not even an option for vegas to trade him for Pacioretty and they traded Suzuki unstead... Result Glass was a fail and Suzuki a great player because YOU NEVER KNOW with prospect.

Columbus already having fantilli, jenner, Johnson at C. They need player who will be able to make progress their young player and a player playing the right way and play a complete 200 feet game. Yes it's certainly a need for columbus.

Saros can want to extend, one day Nashville will need to make a choice between saros and Askarov, they will not be able to keep them together for a long time. So yes if they can bring in a guy like Marner who's perfectly fit into Trotz philosophy, they will do it!
Johnson doesn’t play center.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
AFP Analytics released their final salary projections for 24-25 this week, of note:

Leafs:
Domi 2x3.6M
Bertuzzi 4x5.3M
Dewar 2x1.4M
Edmundson 2x1.7M
Liljegren 4x4.1M
Lyubushkin 2x1.5M
Robertson 2x1.4M

Notable UFA:
Montour 6x7.7M
Lindholm 5x6.75M
Pesce 5x6.25M
Roy 5x5.8M
Tanev 3x4.5M
Zadorov 5x5.3M
Debrusk 5x5.8M
Demelo 4x5.3M
Arvidsson 3x4.75M
Carrier 3x4M
Foegele 3x3.9M
Chatfield 4x3.65M
Joshua 4x3.25M
Trenin 3x2.55M
Stolarz 2x2.2M
Brossoit 2x2.1M

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Domi's 20 goal / 56 point 2023 season landed him a 1 year 3M contract. So his 9 goal / 47 point 2024 season should land him (with the cap going up) in the 3 X 3.5M range, or maybe on a good day for him, a 4 year X 4M contract if you're more confident in the cap going up. But nowhere close to 5 X 5-6M, that's ridiculous

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

It's amazing that you use the argument that prospects are nothing until proven, and then turn around and use Columbus young prospect/players as examples of NHL C's in the same post. Then you double down, and talk about Askarov... a goalie with three NHL games.... So what is it? You never know with prospects, especially goalies, or are Nashville at a critical decision making time, to decide between their good goalie, or a guy with three NHL games?

I can see why Nashville would have interest in Marner, but it won't be Saros that would get moved. Askarov... maybe... Schenn.. maybe... 1st round pick (4th OA?) maybe, one of their forward prospects? But then... here we are again, talking about prospects and picks mostly.

Kent Johnson is being used as a winger... not a C. It doesn't look like he'll be a C. Were you completely unaware of this before posting?... don't know anything about the team?... but saw him listed as a C? Both Nylander and Marner were drafted as C's too.... Nylander is still often listed as one... but nobody would be dumb enough to claim Nylander is a C.... same should go with Johnson. If you are paying attention, you wouldn't claim he's a C.

Jenner is a glorified, really good 3C. I really like Fantilli, but this is a guy who put up 27 points last year. Columbus main need is C. Columbus's organization strength is young talented wingers.... They may actually have a surplus. C is a need... and will continue to be.

Yes.. you've brought up Nolan Patrick as an example why prospects might not work... without knowing any history on the guy.
Talked about Columbus wingers being their C depth.
Talked about why prospects are nothing until proven, and then used prospects as proof of organizational strength and decision making in the same posts.

Good stuff man, high quality!!!

Reactions: aingefan

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

Not sure I agree with that tweet TBH. Berube mentions playing heavy and playing north. Not exactly areas of strength for Nick.

I would love to be wrong, but I also can't think of 1 player on the current and former blues that played similarly to Nick and had success. Maybe Kyrou?? but if I am not mistaken Kyrou and Chief seemingly were not on the same page near the end of Chief's tenure as coach.

Like @rumman said, I think there are a lot of players that could benefit from the tutelage of Craig Berube, but will their skillsets jive with his direction. That will remain to be seen

Reactions: BM14

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
AFP Analytics released their final salary projections for 24-25 this week, of note:

Leafs:
Domi 2x3.6M
Bertuzzi 4x5.3M
Dewar 2x1.4M
Edmundson 2x1.7M
Liljegren 4x4.1M
Lyubushkin 2x1.5M
Robertson 2x1.4M

Notable UFA:
Montour 6x7.7M
Lindholm 5x6.75M
Pesce 5x6.25M
Roy 5x5.8M
Tanev 3x4.5M
Zadorov 5x5.3M
Debrusk 5x5.8M
Demelo 4x5.3M
Arvidsson 3x4.75M
Carrier 3x4M
Foegele 3x3.9M
Chatfield 4x3.65M
Joshua 4x3.25M
Trenin 3x2.55M
Stolarz 2x2.2M
Brossoit 2x2.1M
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Domi, Robertson and Lyubushkin seem reasonable. I get where the Bertuzzi number is coming from, but I don't want to pay that. I'm a big fan of Liljegren's... but that's too much... I had him at $3 mil, and thought that was generous. Dewar is too high... you don't pay 4th line guys that much. Edmundson meh.

I pay that for Lindholm every day of the week. Can we sign that deal now? Montour and Roy aren't far off my guesses. Montour I had at $7.5, Roy at $4.5. I think that's a bit rich in dollars and term for Pesce. Tanev is attractive. Zadorov is expected, but I think a regrettable number. Trenin is an attractive player, but too much $ for where he plays.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
he's still a center who playing at wing but if you want you can add sillinger, Texier, del bel belluz, foudy...

You just can have more than 4 center at the same time on a line up
It's just wrong... you seem to have no idea who actually plays at C. They have tried Laine at C, because they lack C depth... and then used a drafted LW at C because of it.... It's a repeated posting of complete BS, as it seems you have no idea what is actually happening.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011

Leafs:
Domi 2x3.6M
Bertuzzi 4x5.3M
Dewar 2x1.4M
Edmundson 2x1.7M
Liljegren 4x4.1M
Lyubushkin 2x1.5M
Robertson 2x1.4M

Notable UFA:
Montour 6x7.7M
Lindholm 5x6.75M
Pesce 5x6.25M
Roy 5x5.8M
Tanev 3x4.5M
Zadorov 5x5.3M
Debrusk 5x5.8M
Demelo 4x5.3M
Arvidsson 3x4.75M
Carrier 3x4M
Foegele 3x3.9M
Chatfield 4x3.65M
Joshua 4x3.25M
Trenin 3x2.55M
Stolarz 2x2.2M
Brossoit 2x2.1M
I’d take Lindholm, Tanev, Roy any day of the week at those salaries. Pretty sure these maybe all doable without even trading Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad