GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
That entirely depends how you view Rielly and his contract. If you view it as negative value, which I do, then it would be a good trade.
I want Borgen too, Rielly/Lilly for Borgen and Oleksiak?

If you believe Tre, nobody was offering a top dman for Willie this summer. I doubt anybody is offering one for the more expensive, pass first small winger who is allergic to playoff hockey.
sad, but true.........

Lmao Rielly contract as negative value is assinine
he gets paid a lot of scratch for someone who can't defend.........

With Tre and Berbube in charge, any and all players we target, there's gonna have to be a blue collar side to that player. Even the skill guys we target, will have those intangibles.

I dont see players like Robertson and Lilegren sticking around anymore tbh.
agree on Lilly, Robertson not so much.........

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Defense is not his strength, but not sure I agree he is below average. Also 7.5M is not all that much for a D that has over 160 points the last 3 years while missing nearly half a season worth of games and being virtually the only offensively capable defender on his entire team for that same timeframe. Surround him with better players on the backend and I bet he has even more to give.
a 7.5 mil/yr D man shouldn't need his partner to carry him, that's the problem with Rielly, he's useless defending.........

To TOR: Dach, Evans
To VGK: Marner (50% retention), Dewar
To MTL: Roy, Theodore, Marner retention
if we're trading with Vegas I want Roy, Whitecloud, and Kolesar...........

Reactions: Americanadian

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If we're talking about Zadorov and Edmundson types of players.....Brendan Dillon is an UFA this off-season and had a very solid season with the jets.

He'll be cheaper then Zadorov and he's less injury prone then Edmundson

I can see Tre liking this player
completely agree, Dillon is a good target if the price is right.........

Reactions: OVO16

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Well I watched rantanen stand off the side of the net and didn’t engage the Dallas player score the series deciding goal. If marner did that there would be death threats
Yeah, he’s very much like Draisaitl, where his effort level is entirely dependent on what zone he’s in.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Heiskenen is one of the top young defensemen in the world, he's a major reason Dallas is as good as they are

Dallas - Heiskanen is definitely an elite #1 and their secondary guys of Lindell, Tanev and Harley are damn good players too

Florida - More committee - Forsling has blossomed into a great defensive defenseman, Montour provides good offense, Ekblad a bit of both...they're just a deep group

Rangers - Fox is a #1 defenseman and their secondary guys of Lingren, Trouba, Miller are an amazing group of 4

EDM/VAN - Hughes is an elite #1, Ekholm is an older "top pair" guy who's still really good.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Well I watched rantanen stand off the side of the net and didn’t engage the Dallas player score the series deciding goal. If marner did that there would be death threats
Dramatize much?

You seem lost and not understanding what the issue with Marner is

Not going to bother explaining what’s obvious, but keep shining….. just ty to keep it in the right place.

Reactions: supermann_98

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Wishful thinking…

To Toronto: Shea Theodore
To Vegas: John Tavares (25% retained by Toronto and another 50% retained by Chicago) + TOR 1st Round Draft Pick
To Chicago: Timothy Liljegren

Leafs free up around 1.65 million, sign Vincent Desharnais using that money to replace Timothy Liljegren.

Then focus on a Mitch Marner trade.

Name Auston Matthews the team captain.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
if we're trading with Vegas I want Roy, Whitecloud, and Kolesar...........
Those are all good players in their roles but Kolesar and Whitecloud just don't provide excess value on their contracts and Kolesar is about to be UFA where he will most likely get overpaid as a 4RW. I'd rather a deal where the Leafs get Theodore and extend him to play 1LD or the MTL deal where they get Dach who can be a long-term asset.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
a 7.5 mil/yr D man shouldn't need his partner to carry him, that's the problem with Rielly, he's useless defending.........

There is a huge difference between me saying we need a legit partner to maximize what Rielly offers to the team and you claiming he needs his partner to carry him.

Reactions: LeafSteel

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
How many rings does Bob or Price have? How many of these have won in the last 10 years? 3 of them, and 2 of those were 9 and 10 years ago.

It's a very basic problem -- to win a cup you need to beat 4 good teams. Guaranteed, at least one of them, if not multiple, is going to have a goalie that does what your $8m goalie does, for less than half of the cap hit.

Heck, Tampa ran into that problem last year when we finally beat them. Sammy was basically as good as Vasi, and the Leafs had $6m more spent on their group infront of him.

Even this year, had Toronto started Joe Woll from the beginning, they might have gotten through. Had their star players not been injured and sick, they probably would have gotten through. Had they had a powerplay which performed to half of their capability, they probably would have gotten through, and it's not like Swayman was making ridiculous saves. Joseph Woll was every bit a good as him when he played.

1-Its not because of vasilevskiy contract tampa drop but the fact they gave up all their futur to win and now they pay for this. The same thing with Pittsburgh

2- like i said, the best team you having overal, the best chance to win will be. But it doesn't exist any player able to hide as much hole than a goaltender.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Wishful thinking…

To Toronto: Shea Theodore
To Vegas: John Tavares (25% retained by Toronto and another 50% retained by Chicago) + TOR 1st Round Draft Pick
To Chicago: Timothy Liljegren

Leafs free up around 1.65 million, sign Vincent Desharnais using that money to replace Timothy Liljegren.

Then focus on a Mitch Marner trade.

Name Auston Matthews the team captain.
I'm not sure VGK does this. They would save 1.075M to grab another C (they currently have Eichel/Hertl/Karlsson/Roy). They would be better off moving Theodore for an impact winger at this point. Also - any Marner or Tavares deal with 3rd team retention would most likely happen after the draft and after July 1st when their bonuses are paid out, thus ruling out any 2024 picks.

Reactions: TMLAM34

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
1-Its not because of vasilevskiy contract tampa drop but the fact they gave up all their futur to win and now they pay for this. The same thing with Pittsburgh

2- like i said, the best team you having overal, the best chance to win will be. But it doesn't exist any player able to hide as much hole than a goaltender.
That Vasilevsky contract is one of the reasons they lost in the first round to us. Sammy went toe-to-toe with him, and we had $6m more to spend on the roster.

Goaltenders are a unique breed in that in the playoffs, a guy making $3m will often outperform or equate the guy making $7m+. That generally doesn't exist for skaters.

The reason you pay $7m for "the #1" is because he can carry you through the regular season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That Vasilevsky contract is one of the reasons they lost in the first round to us. Sammy went toe-to-toe with him, and we had $6m more to spend on the roster.

Goaltenders are a unique breed in that in the playoffs, a guy making $3m will often outperform or equate the guy making $7m+. That generally doesn't exist for skaters.

The reason you pay $7m for "the #1" is because he can carry you through the regular season.

They beat us the other year

Point makes 9.5M to Matthews 13.25M
Cirelli 6ish million to Tavares 11M

Hedman makes like 7M while Rielly makes 7.5M

Kucherov 9.5M to Marner's 11M

They're very top heavy but lost guys like Palat, Killorn etc that were on great contracts.

Reactions: supermann_98

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Some team should acquire Kaeden Korczak before he becomes a regular and really breaks out.

6'3, RHD, plays with physicality, decent with puck, good hockeysense.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

its the fact they have nonyoung player on cheap deal and they didn't had any depht. Outside of their top 6 of top 3 in D. Its pretty weak because they gave up all their pick and prospect for their 3 final and 2 cup.

When all your player need to resign, sure whatever what you want, you will need to make choice and becoming worst as a team especially. Just watch Carolina this summer, they will lose a lot of player because they will not be able to resign everyone but at least carolina having good young player to overcome this.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
You only trade Marner if the trade makes sense. It has to bring back young players that balance the lineup and fill multiple holes for multiple years. You don't trade a player the calibre of Marner just because.

Some of the proposals posted in this thread are ridiculously bad.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
You only trade Marner if the trade makes sense. It has to bring back young players that balance the lineup and fill multiple holes for multiple years. You don't trade a player the calibre of Marner just because.

Share your proposals!

TheGreenTBer

Generational Lesson Learner
Apr 30, 2021

Both Marner and JT need to be off this team by July 1st, 2025. You can't trade JT. That leaves Mitch.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

What "makes sense" is different for each person. Some people think you have to get similar talent back. Some people think you can use the free cap space to make up the difference. Others think Marner is what ails the core's culture and needs to be removed.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

I absolutely agree that some proposals in here are very weak and that we don't HAVE to trade Marner.

Having said this, we will "lose" any Marner trade and I believe we SHOULD trade him. In addition to whatever return we get for Marner, we have to consider the cap space and what we do with it as part of the return.

Further to this, I am really starting to believe that culturally there might be an addition by subtraction here. Mitch doesn't bring his game in the playoffs, he seems to struggle with fishbowl and media, and he may be a tough re-sign in a year.

I would much rather have Wright, Oleksiak and the cap space to sign Tanev or Roy. On top of this we do need to start making room for Cowan, Minten, Grebenkin and others.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Winds of change seem to be blowing through the NHL.

Colorado gets knocked out in the second round and fans there are talking about retooling with Rantanen, Girard, Colton and Wood coming up to the end of their contracts, mix not working.

Edmonton being down 3-2 to Vancouver could be at a cross roads with Draisaitl up next year and McDavid to follow.

Think this will be a time when cap space is going to be at an absolute premium. With Marner and Tavares done next summer, flexibility is going to be the name of the game.
We really should hope Oilers winning bc we all know Drai will head to Boston if he makes himself available.
Bruins got the ONE PIECE that Oilers want and can afford to trade him.
Drai also know Bruins got a better foundation of a team to win than Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad