GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I’m leaning towards trying to facilitate a three way trade that involves Vegas with Theodore coming to Toronto, Marner going to Vegas (players always seem to waive to go to Vegas) and Chicago retaining 50% of Marners contract.

Theodore is almost 30. You want them to give him $8-9M on his next contract?

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If you believe Tre, nobody was offering a top dman for Willie this summer. I doubt anybody is offering one for the more expensive, pass first small winger who is allergic to playoff hockey.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
With Tre and Berbube in charge, any and all players we target, there's gonna have to be a blue collar side to that player. Even the skill guys we target, will have those intangibles.

I dont see players like Robertson and Lilegren sticking around anymore tbh.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
7.5M for a D that is below NHL average defensively is about to lose his PP1 spot is asinine.

Defense is not his strength, but not sure I agree he is below average. Also 7.5M is not all that much for a D that has over 160 points the last 3 years while missing nearly half a season worth of games and being virtually the only offensively capable defender on his entire team for that same timeframe. Surround him with better players on the backend and I bet he has even more to give.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Defense is not his strength, but not sure I agree he is below average.
I'm just going off his defensive impacts relative to the rest of the league and he has never been above average in a season. If you watch him you can't count the amount of times in a season that he's denied an entry at the blue line on 1 hand.
Also 7.5M is not all that much for a D that has over 160 points the last 3 years while missing nearly half a season worth of games and being virtually the only offensively capable defender on his entire team for that same timeframe.
Rielly has been excellent offensively and excellent in previous playoffs. The issue is he's getting older, he probably shouldn't be running Toronto's PP, and if you remove his PP time he becomes a ~40 point defenseman (still very good) who gives up just as much as he creates.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If we’re moving out Marner in a 3 way deal and Theodore is involved he best be coming our way.
I have previously been on this train but I've recently soured on him. He's a huge minute eater/ES point producer but that next contract is going to sting. His defensive impacts have been replacement level over the last 3 years and he had 9(!) hits in 1038 minutes this season, leading me to the conclusion that he isn't very physical. LD are so easy to come by in the league vs. RS C that I'd rather take the more scarce asset in a Marner deal.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
You don't have to directly fix the defense with the Marner trade, it might even result in a worse return. Assets and cap space gained from the trade can be used to do so later. This year Hanifin was moved at the deadline, last year Lindholm and Ekhlom were. Maybe at this years deadline it will be Rasmus Andersson. I'd rather bank the assets & cap space and spend it when the time is right than blow it on nonsense.

Reactions: supermann_98

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm just going off his defensive impacts relative to the rest of the league and he has never been above average in a season. If you watch him you can't count the amount of times in a season that he's denied an entry at the blue line on 1 hand.

Rielly has been excellent offensively and excellent in previous playoffs. The issue is he's getting older, he probably shouldn't be running Toronto's PP, and if you remove his PP time he becomes a ~40 point defenseman (still very good) who gives up just as much as he creates.

Truth be told I’m not convinced Riellys production changes all that much if he loses the pp time but is surrounded with better D. Even then bringing in another PP defender doesn’t necessarily mean Rielly loses out completely either. There’s powerplay 2 or maybe Rielly takes the Marner spot (if Mitch were traded) and a D with a big shot takes the other side. Hard to know what deployments might look like until we see where personnel changes go

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I think Treliving would get fired if he were to trade Marner essentially for Dach and Evans…
Why? Dach just turned 23, he's a legitimate NHL 2C making <4M for the next 2 seasons. He's a long-term Tavares replacement.

Truth be told I’m not convinced Riellys production changes all that much if he loses the pp time but is surrounded with better D. Even then bringing in another PP defender doesn’t necessarily mean Rielly loses out completely either. There’s powerplay 2 or maybe Rielly takes the Marner spot (if Mitch were traded) and a D with a big shot takes the other side. Hard to know what deployments might look like until we see where personnel changes go
I highly doubt they'd elect to play Rielly on the half wall over a forward but it depends on personnel. If they don't have 4 better forwards than Rielly they probably aren't going to win much anyway.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Winds of change seem to be blowing through the NHL.

Colorado gets knocked out in the second round and fans there are talking about retooling with Rantanen, Girard, Colton and Wood coming up to the end of their contracts, mix not working.

Edmonton being down 3-2 to Vancouver could be at a cross roads with Draisaitl up next year and McDavid to follow.

Think this will be a time when cap space is going to be at an absolute premium. With Marner and Tavares done next summer, flexibility is going to be the name of the game.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
With Tre and Berbube in charge, any and all players we target, there's gonna have to be a blue collar side to that player. Even the skill guys we target, will have those intangibles.

I dont see players like Robertson and Lilegren sticking around anymore tbh.
Didn't Treliving, with Sutter as his coach, trade for Huberdeau, who is basically a taller version of Marner? He also traded away Sam Bennett, who is full of grit and intangibles. All I mean by that is that people are getting carried away with this "snot'/"intangibles" narrative. Look at the 5 teams still playing, and they aren't there because of snot and intangibles. It's because they have some really good players who are performing in tight-checking games. That's who I want the Leafs to acquire - not a bunch of Nick Folignos and Ryan Reaves.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Marner for Geekie or Wright + picks

Out: Marner, Kampf, Jarnkrok, Liljegren, Timmins

Keep: Domi, Bertuzzi, one of Edmundson/Boosh

In: Pesce, Roy, Zadorov, Trenin, Stolarz/Brossoit

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
Knies - Geekie/Wright - Nylander
McMann - Tavares - Robertson/Cowan
Trenin - Holmberg - Dewar
Reaves

Rielly - Pesce