GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If they go to free agency, they know they can get more in the market and it would mean they're gone. Either the leafs lowballed them or just didn't want to commit long-term

It would suck because I liked both and Domi especially seemed destined to be a leaf for a long time.

I guess we'll have to see how it plays out. Still early

I disagree on the first part. I think both players know there is more money and term out there with another most likely than if they stay but until it’s explored they can’t quantify by how much. The Leafs offer will not be the best they get, of that I’m confident. To me all going to July 1st says is that they want to know all their options and then they can weigh how much staying is worth to them.

Reactions: OVO16

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
FWIW, it's Klingberg, not Klinberg.

The idea of hockey, is to score more goals than your opponent. It's been well known, for a long time that Klingberg is a terrible player defensively, and despite his offense, the puck ends up in his net, far more than it does in the opponents. Going back to 2019/20... he's -10, -15, -28, -28, on pace for -42.

Being a complete liability defensively and consistently for years has been known for a long time now. It was a bad idea last year, and it's an even worse idea now. Like Tabernacle, this is just a terribly bad idea.

At the time, I suggested we would have been better off signing Gustafsson.... how did that work out? Terrible defensively, with no physicality. He’s a total liability. The idea of bringing back Klingberg is a historically brain dead idea.
no need for Klingberg, Rielly does more than his fare share of defensive ineptitude moments........

Weegar fits our team very well.
With them trading Markstrom...are they even trying to compete next season?
Seems like it would be smart for them to sell high on him at this point.
Calgary won't trade with the Leafs, because they're butt hurt on Tre leaving................

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Is McGroarty a player that you take on that you move on from Nick Robertson, and offer him as part of a trade?

I’ve been eager to see what Nick can do with a coach other than Keefe and a Robertson booster, but do you move on from him to make McGroarty happen?

Are you adding anything else? Jarnkrok?

Can’t wait for the Draft and July 1st!

I’d be ok with moving Robertson for him. The leafs are strong on the LW side and need some centre prospects, or RW too

Reactions: LeafSteel

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
It only took 1 year for Treliving to trade as many of those 35 prospects as a future as Dubas did in 5 years. You're objectively wrong. We're more likely to lose them now.

I'm sure we'll really miss Dmitri Ovechnikov.

Of course, we added a much better player in Cade Webber.

Did we trade away any 1st rounders this year? I forget.

Sandin was not part of our prospect pool anymore. He was an NHL player that we had extracted the prospect value out of. He's now overpaid.

Sandin was younger than many of the guys you still count as prospects.

It's 1. Durzi. As part of a great trade.

Plus the pick.... plus all other picks.

We had plenty of good and coveted players in the pool. We very publicly prioritized keeping the prospects over picks.

That's why only 5 have made NHL rosters....
I didn't hide anything. I don't know how many times I have to say that the Durzi trade (justifiably) removed from the pool before you hear it.

Dubas subtracted over and over and over.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Okay, let’s have some fun. You’re the AGM and Tre hands you a note book with the following skeleton and tell you to build a balanced lineup capable of contending. What is your plan?

X - Matthews - X
X - X - Nylander
X - Tavares - X
X - X - X

Rielly - X
X - X
McCabe - Benoit

X
Woll

With this he leaves you $40,633,333 for 13 players. An average of $3,125,641 per position.

Potential youth:
Bobby McMann -> 1.35M ( I know he’s 28 lol)
Pontus Holmberg -> 800,000
Easton Cowan -> 904,667
Fraser Minten -> 816,667
Nikita Grebyonkin -> 875,000

Keep or remove/trade? (If trade, factor in return)
Jarnkrok -> 2.1M
Kampf -> 2.4M
Reaves -> 1.35M
Marner -> 10.9M

UFA/RFA Potential re-signings?
Dewar
Gregor
Bertuzzi
Domi
Liljegren
Brodie
Giordano
Edmundson
Lyubushkin
Jones
Samsonov
Robertson

** FYI if Cowan, Minten, Holmberg & McMann are all on your team, then you have $4.084M per player based on 9 remaining spots. If you still fill in a couple more players at 4th line appropriate salaries from there it would go up even more.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Okay, let’s have some fun. You’re the AGM and Tre hands you a note book with the following skeleton and tell you to build a balanced lineup capable of contending. What is your plan?

X - Matthews - X
X - X - Nylander
X - Tavares - X
X - X - X

Rielly - X
X - X
McCabe - Benoit

X
Woll

With this he leaves you $40,633,333 for 13 players. An average of $3,125,641 per position.

Potential youth:
Easton Cowan -> 904,667
Fraser Minten -> 816,667

Jarnkrok -> 2.1M
Kampf -> 2.4M
Reaves -> 1.35M
Marner -> 10.9M

Dewar
Gregor
Bertuzzi
Domi
Liljegren
Brodie
Giordano
Edmundson
Lyubushkin
Jones
Samsonov
Robertson
you still want Rielly for your number one left D??????

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm sure we'll really miss Dmitri Ovechnikov.

Of course, we added a much better player in Cade Webber.

Did we trade away any 1st rounders this year? I forget.

Sandin was younger than many of the guys you still count as prospects.

Plus the pick.... plus all other picks.

That's why only 5 have made NHL rosters....

Dubas subtracted over and over and over.

Would you want a do-over on the marner draft?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Potential youth:

I'd start him at LW on the 4th line.

I don't think he can play center, so I don't see a spot for him.

Easton Cowan -> 904,667

He's starting in the NHL, so I'd start him on LW with Tavares. If he doesn't stick, McMann moves up.

Fraser Minten -> 816,667

A year in the AHL, and an early call-up.

A year in the AHL, and an early call-up.

Jarnkrok -> 2.1M

Either or.... he could fit in well with Cowen/Tavares

Kampf -> 2.4M

He's needed unless we find a better option, which is unlikely.

Reaves -> 1.35M

Keep

Marner -> 10.9M

Trade

Dewar

Good 4th liner or 13th forward.

Good AHLer and call-up.

Sign at the right price.

Sign at the right price

Liljegren

Trade

Bye

Bye

Edmundson

Depends on the price, and need. Ideally, he's gone.

Lyubushkin

Bye

Bye

Bye

Robertson

Trade

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Would you want a do-over on the marner draft?

That was Mark Hunter, not Dubas..... and yes, I'd want a re-draft. At the time, I wanted Hanifin, which would have been better.

Could have walked away with Noah Hanifin, Sebastian Aho, Anthony Cirelli, Kirill Kaprizov, Nicolas Roy, Mathieu Joseph, Niko Mikkola, Vladislav Gavrikov, and Matt Roy.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Sure, but you don’t ignore it, and at many years in a row, it’s indicative. Plus looking at other stats, and watching him it’s clear he’s just bad defensively.

if he would not have any defensive issues, he would never cost 4M but like 8-9M. If you hope to get a full package D at 4M in UFA, good luck.
Not enough to make Holm or Kampf a legit 3C. Going another year like last year down the middle is a terrible idea. You could argue that lineup is worse at C with less options for tinkering, I didn't think that was possible

you know holmberg had higher production at 5v5 /gm played or 60nplayed than Lundell in regular season? He always improving his game year after year and who's know if he can become a 30-45 2-watly C, would be fine. Could be good to upgrade C but i don't think it's an absolute need and if it's doesn't easier to find a 3rd C at TDL than find a top 4 dman.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dion TheFluff

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

X - Matthews - X
X - X - Nylander
X - Tavares - X
X - X - X

Rielly - X
X - X
McCabe - Benoit

X
Woll

Potential youth:
Easton Cowan -> 904,667
Fraser Minten -> 816,667

Jarnkrok -> 2.1M
Kampf -> 2.4M
Reaves -> 1.35M
Marner -> 10.9M

Dewar
Gregor
Bertuzzi
Domi
Liljegren
Brodie
Giordano
Edmundson
Lyubushkin
Jones
Samsonov
Robertson

** FYI if Cowan, Minten, Holmberg & McMann are all on your team, then you have $4.084M per player based on 9 remaining spots. If you still fill in a couple more players at 4th line appropriate salaries from there it would go up even more.
Obviously, this isn't my want because then there'd be a huge turnover of players.
But I don't believe in magic.

1. Knies - Matthews - marner
2. Grebyonkin - New Center $6-7mm- Nylander
3. McMann - Tavares - Holmberg

4. Gregor - Minten - Jarnkrok
or
4. Minten - Kampf - Gregor

Rielly - New Defender
McCabe - New Defender
Benoit - Liljegren

$3.5mm
Woll
Jones

Not expecting Kampf and Jarnkrok to be moved, only 1.

Last edited:

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I think if Leafs get anyone it's going to be Tanev, Montour, Pesce in that order.

If a Marner trade actually happens it'll get interesting at the forward position.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Not enough to make Holm or Kampf a legit 3C. Going another year like last year down the middle is a terrible idea. You could argue that lineup is worse at C with less options for tinkering, I didn't think that was possible

IMO, best case scenario we add a center, deal Kampf and make Holmberg the 4C

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
you know holmberg had higher production at 5v5 /gm played or 60nplayed than Lundell in regular season?
That's nice. Holmberg also averaged about 10 ES min a game to do that forcing Kampf into a higher role eventually landing Domi at the 3C where he needed sheltering

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Seems like Calgary are little babies when I comes to trading with the leafs but now that they seem to be in full rebuild. How about Naz back with some retention.

There is your rockstar 3C. Would rather even take what’s left of his full contract than give Lindholm 7 x 7+.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The argument for pursuing Saros would be putting an elite goalie in net for Toronto and solving that problem right away. Turning the Leafs from a forward heavy, cheap everything else into a forward heavy team with an elite goalie in net.

You can kick the can down the road and maybe a Marner out as UFA and some combination of Shesterkin coming in could solve the problem better, later.

But I think about the impact of a Bertuzzi at $6 million or something vs a starting goalie at a couple more. And I wonder, do you just get the goalie and not bother with a complimentary forward?

That is one strategy.

Perhaps, that strategy should be, get the best goalie you can, and if this isn't possible, kick that can down the road and get the best Defender possible.

There seems to be much wishful thinking / magic that an elite level keeper is going to be available.

I just don't see anything that you can target without it being mostly wishful thinking.
CapFriendly lists the available keepers, and there's nothing that even whispers elite/top level.

However, if you look at available defenders, while there are no Norris winners (under age of 40) there, there are quite a few who would be Leafs 2nd. best or better available.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Seems like Calgary are little babies when I comes to trading with the leafs but now that they seem to be in full rebuild. How about Naz back with some retention.

There is your rockstar 3C. Would rather even take what’s left of his full contract than give Lindholm 7 x 7+.
That Kadri contract won't age well. No thanks. Lindholm, yes please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad