GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Yep both those players would be significant adds.
Calgary actually has alot of quality players for a team that's been bad the past few years.
I also like Connor Zary, especially if he can stick at the C position.
I like Zary as well but feel like he's sticking around for their rebuild. They do have some quality young players.

Will be really interesting to see if other veterans like Coleman or Kadri get traded as well.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I like Zary as well but feel like he's sticking around for their rebuild. They do have some quality young players.

Will be really interesting to see if other veterans like Coleman or Kadri get traded as well.

Yep, they should continue to trade some of their valued players.

They could really have a pretty sick rebuild if done correctly.

These are their draft picks coming up...

Screenshot (1456).png

Reactions: Rob Brown

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
FWIW, it's Klingberg, not Klinberg.

The idea of hockey, is to score more goals than your opponent. It's been well known, for a long time that Klingberg is a terrible player defensively, and despite his offense, the puck ends up in his net, far more than it does in the opponents. Going back to 2019/20... he's -10, -15, -28, -28, on pace for -42.

Being a complete liability defensively and consistently for years has been known for a long time now. It was a bad idea last year, and it's an even worse idea now. Like Tabernacle, this is just a terribly bad idea.

At the time, I suggested we would have been better off signing Gustafsson.... how did that work out? Terrible defensively, with no physicality. He’s a total liability. The idea of bringing back Klingberg is a historically brain dead idea.
+/- is a stats you need to be careful with. Exemple in 2020-2021 , Klinberg was at -15 but Dallas but when you're considerating Dallas allowed 27 with an empty net and considerating Klinberg is always the 1st d to step in at 5v6. So exemple exemple if he had been on the ice for 24 of those 27 empty net goal, his real +/- is +9 and not -15 unstead if you considerate empty net goal like defensive issue... You need to be careful with this stats
3C is a huge hole in this lineup and it needs to be addressed. Holmberg can replace Kampf, but your 3C needs to carry more offense than Holmberg and more defense than Domi

If you upgrading your D, that will help the bottom 6 fowatd on both side of the ice.
So get a goaltender and we hang him out to dry because we don't score enough?

That shouldn't backfire at all

If you starting to take risk like jumping at 4 in the offensive to get an guy uncover but you giveup 3 breakaway resulting to 3 goal vs than exemple gave up 3 breakaway and didn't allowed a goal like we saw Bobrosvky doing it last 2 post-season? Do you think both team will still play the same way? the answer is a big easy No. The team giving 3 goal will start to play safer to give a chance to his goalie to get the job done and the 2nd team will still play the same exact way.

If you want to create more offensive in playoff, you need to get your D involve... Watch Florida, Edmonton, Vegas, Colorado, Tampa... D are constsntly involve in the offensive game.

goalie will not score but can give or remove confidence on the player in front.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
+/- is a stats you need to be careful with. Exemple in 2020-2021 , Klinberg was at -15 but Dallas but when you're considerating Dallas allowed 27 with an empty net and considerating Klinberg is always the 1st d to step in at 5v6. So exemple exemple if he had been on the ice for 24 of those 27 empty net goal, his real +/- is +9 and not -15 unstead if you considerate empty net goal like defensive issue... You need to be careful with this stats

Sure, but you don’t ignore it, and at many years in a row, it’s indicative. Plus looking at other stats, and watching him it’s clear he’s just bad defensively.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If you upgrading your D, that will help the bottom 6 fowatd on both side of the ice.
Not enough to make Holm or Kampf a legit 3C. Going another year like last year down the middle is a terrible idea. You could argue that lineup is worse at C with less options for tinkering, I didn't think that was possible

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There are 5 picks that have become legit NHLers. He has traded 2 of those 5, and Shanahan blocked a Knies trade.
There are 5 picks that have become NHLers so far, but there are more to come and more than 5 good picks. Your attempt to misrepresent the Sandin trade and make up fake rumours about Knies does not change that only 1 of his 35 drafted prospects was traded as a future. That is in no way excessive over 5 years.
Durzi out for a veteran. Sandin out for a pick. That's minus 2 players, and plus 1 pick. That's not adding to the pool.
The Durzi trade removed from the pool, in order to bring in a top pairing defenseman long term, that also brought surplus value himself, like I said.
The Sandin trade is what added back into the pool.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
So get a goaltender and we hang him out to dry because we don't score enough?

That shouldn't backfire at all
We can’t score and we can’t defend, so what’s the point of spending scarce assets now to bring in Saros?

You sign Stolarz to platoon with Woll to see if either can take the starter job. You also give Hildeby a chance to show what he can do. What’s the point in drafting goalies if you aren’t going to give them a chance to show they can be starters?

You jump at the UFA RHD that are available this summer and improve your defensive play.

You let your qualified head coach kick your candy-ass soft forwards who shrink in the moment and see what he can get out of them.

You do this next season and see what you have. If signing a then UFA Saros makes sense, for nothing but money and no lost assets, thenyou do it.

It makes absolutely no sense to deplete assets in a trade when we can’t score (your point, not mine), and we can’t defend worth a damn. What’s Saros going to do with those kinds of deficiencies still plaguing this team?
3C is a huge hole in this lineup and it needs to be addressed. Holmberg can replace Kampf, but your 3C needs to carry more offense than Holmberg and more defense than Domi
2C is our bigger problem now. Tavares is your 3C as soon as next season, and will most likely re-sign at a much lower cost next season to remain our 3C.

You bring in someone like Lindholm to nail down 2C and push Tavares down.
Weegar fits our team very well.
With them trading Markstrom...are they even trying to compete next season?
Seems like it would be smart for them to sell high on him at this point.
We had a shot at Weegar but Dubas chose Brodie. Weegar was who we should have had all along.

We have no shot at him now with the petty child-like management Calgary has now, where despite their best interests they won’t deal with Treliving.

Treliving needs to avoid overpay scenarios, which is what Weegar would be now thanks to the pissy-fit group in Calgary.

Treliving needs to focus on the UFA RHD instead and snag 2. Ideally one is Matt Roy.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Definitely interested in McGroarty but what kind of cost is there?

Really depends if he has teams he won't sign with outside of Winnipeg. Apparently he liked the Leafs growing up/Matthews favourite player but does that mean he only wants to play for Toronto? I'm sure not, even though I'm sure the Leafs would love to have him (sounds like the type Tre would covet).

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We can’t score and we can’t defend, so what’s the point of spending scarce assets now to bring in Saros?

You sign Stolarz to platoon with Woll to see if either can take the starter job. You also give Hildeby a chance to show what he can do. What’s the point in drafting goalies if you aren’t going to give them a chance to show they can be starters?

You jump at the UFA RHD that are available this summer and improve your defensive play.

You let your qualified head coach kick your candy-ass soft forwards who shrink in the moment and see what he can get out of them.

You do this next season and see what you have. If signing a then UFA Saros makes sense, for nothing but money and no lost assets, thenyou do it.

It makes absolutely no sense to deplete assets in a trade when we can’t score (your point, not mine), and we can’t defend worth a damn. What’s Saros going to do with those kinds of deficiencies still plaguing this team?

The fundamental flaw in this post is no one is suggesting trading for Saros or Ullmark and then not also improving the other issues.

Honestly a signing of one of Brossoit or Stolarz is probably the most likely scenario. Either signing is arguably another bandaid solution. Woll hasn’t proven he can physically handle the work load of a starter at this point. Nothing wrong with him spending some time as a back up learning from a true starter.

Hildeby looks good so far in his AHL career but we should be in no hurry to rush him into the NHL

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Spot on. We can't fix all our problem this off season, but you can make a big dent to it. Why spend asset or cap space on a goalie like Saros, when we could sign Stolarz or Brossoit for half of Saros cap space.

I rather we spend most of the cap space fixing the d corp, so that once the playoff comes Stolarz/Brossoit/Woll are insulated by a strong d corps.

If Woll turns out not to be our goalie, you can fix it next off season with Tavares off the books and Saros, Hill, Shersterkin, Ullmark as free agent. It's better to wait next off season to finally address the goalie issue.

The argument for pursuing Saros would be putting an elite goalie in net for Toronto and solving that problem right away. Turning the Leafs from a forward heavy, cheap everything else into a forward heavy team with an elite goalie in net.

You can kick the can down the road and maybe a Marner out as UFA and some combination of Shesterkin coming in could solve the problem better, later.

But I think about the impact of a Bertuzzi at $6 million or something vs a starting goalie at a couple more. And I wonder, do you just get the goalie and not bother with a complimentary forward?

Reactions: Pinto and Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Spot on. We can't fix all our problem this off season, but you can make a big dent to it. Why spend asset or cap space on a goalie like Saros, when we could sign Stolarz or Brossoit for half of Saros cap space.

I rather we spend most of the cap space fixing the d corp, so that once the playoff comes Stolarz/Brossoit/Woll are insulated by a strong d corps.

If Woll turns out not to be our goalie, you can fix it next off season with Tavares off the books and Saros, Hill, Shersterkin, Ullmark as free agent. It's better to wait next off season to finally address the goalie issue.

So we punt the goaltending decisions a year down the road on the hopes that a quality starter makes it to UFA? If you can improve the goaltending you do it now. Focus on D and G some of the rework of the forward group might have to wait until next year.

If Saros isn’t being traded he will be extended in Nashville. I firmly believe this.
There is zero chance Shesterkin goes to market. In fact I bet he’s extended long term in short order.
Ullmark will probably be traded and extended wherever he decides

I could maybe see Adin Hill making it to market. And then we’re in bidding war with probably 8 other teams who need tenders. And without the size and skill of Vegas’ D who knows how he even does here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinto

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
The fundamental flaw in this post is no one is suggesting trading for Saros or Ullmark and then not also improving the other issues.

Honestly a signing of one of Brossoit or Stolarz is probably the most likely scenario. Either signing is arguably another bandaid solution. Woll hasn’t proven he can physically handle the work load of a starter at this point. Nothing wrong with him spending some time as a back up learning from a true starter.

Hildeby looks good so far in his AHL career but we should be in no hurry to rush him into the NHL
This is fair, but because the OP didn’t make any such proposals or acknowledgements, neither did I.

He chose to say we can’t score. Makes no mention of how Berube may change things or how our forwards might change, including trading Marner, so I kept it simple as well.

I still hold my point though. You would be trading assets that could be used to improve our forwards and/or defence and you’d be taking cap space absorbing his current $million cap hit.

I would be interested in hearing his and your thoughts on what you trade to get Saros and how you improve the other glaring deficiencies we have as well.

Reactions: Sypher04

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
There are 5 picks that have become NHLers so far, but there are more to come and more than 5 good picks.

There might be more to come, and now that Dubas is gone, they’re more likely to actually play for the Leafs.

Your attempt to misrepresent the Sandin trade

What's misrepresented? One player out of the pool, one pick into the pool....

and make up fake rumours about Knies

It is a real rumour. I didn't make it up. It's believable because it's so on-brand for Dubas.

does not change that only 1 of his 35 drafted prospects was traded as a future. That is in no way excessive over 5 years.

Even if you want to use this poor metric, it's 2.

As I said already, it would have been more if we had better players in the pool. Instead, he's had to trade early picks....which also subtracts from the pool.

Are you still working on that list? I eagerly await.....

The Durzi trade removed from the pool, in order to bring in a top pairing defenseman long term, that also brought surplus value himself, like I said.
The Sandin trade is what added back into the pool.

You don't think it's dishonest at all to keep bringing up the pick we added in the Sandin trade, and trying to hide the pick that went out in the Durzi trade?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I know we have 5 days more till the draft...but am I the only a little disappointed that a bit more housekeeping moves were taken care of"?

Like atleast re-signing either Bertuzzi or Domi. Or trading someone like Kampf for a late pick. Like how dallas did with Dellandrea

Or something like that. I feel like we're leaving everything close to draft/free agency and its gonna be super hectic

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
This is fair, but because the OP didn’t make any such proposals or acknowledgements, neither did I.

He chose to say we can’t score. Makes no mention of how Berube may change things or how our forwards might change, including trading Marner, so I kept it simple as well.

I still hold my point though. You would be trading assets that could be used to improve our forwards and/or defence and you’d be taking cap space absorbing his current $million cap hit.

I would be interested in hearing his and your thoughts on what you trade to get Saros and how you improve the other glaring deficiencies we have as well.

It’s a huge challenge no doubt. We are in a largely unenviable position of needing to rely on UFA signings pretty significantly to attempt to reshape the team. Meaning we’re not going to get bargains. It generally doesn’t work.

An eventual Mitch Marner trade needs to fill multiple needs.

I know we have 5 days more till the draft...but am I the only a little disappointed that a bit more housekeeping moves were taken care of"?

Like atleast re-signing either Bertuzzi or Domi. Or trading someone like Kampf for a late pick. Like how dallas did with Dellandrea

Or something like that. I feel like we're leaving everything close to draft/free agency and its gonna be super hectic

I think realistically if either comes back it will be July 1st or after. Our offer will not be the most lucrative they receive. So it’s up to them at that point they’ll have to decide how much more money or term is acceptable to forego for them.

I’ll be honest, I think there is virtually zero chance Bertuzzi is back. Which I’m fine with personally.

Reactions: LeafSteel

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
All depends on where he wants to go, but if the Leafs are a team he's willing to go to, we should definitely be in on him.

He's exactly the type of player we need more of, he's NHL ready, has a high ceiling, and will be on a cheap ELC.
20 other teams can say the same thing as well, but from what it sounds like, the kid wants to play right away. He thinks he's ready to play in the NHL

The question...Is Treliving ready to commit to a rookie in the lineup next year full-time?

I do agree that he's the perfect type of player to grow with Mathews and the young core.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
My guess is the Jets monitored him extremely closely and know everything about him.

They don't think he's ready, and don't think he can play in the NHL today.

So no disrespect but their opinion perhaps has a little more value?
he'd be ideal if he could play in the NHL now, but that's a big IF..........

When 40% of the players on the ice are boat anchors who can't handle a pass or make a play when they do handle a pass it gets tough. If you're Matthews are you going to play dipsydoodle with Marner or pray that one of our 1M defenceman can make a play? We need a better team in general.
upgrades needed in so many positions...........

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
It’s a huge challenge no doubt. We are in a largely unenviable position of needing to rely on UFA signings pretty significantly to attempt to reshape the team. Meaning we’re not going to get bargains. It generally doesn’t work.

An eventual Mitch Marner trade needs to fill multiple needs.

I think realistically if either comes back it will be July 1st or after. Our offer will not be the most lucrative they receive. So it’s up to them at that point they’ll have to decide how much more money or term is acceptable to forego for them.
If they go to free agency, they know they can get more in the market and it would mean they're gone. Either the leafs lowballed them or just didn't want to commit long-term

It would suck because I liked both and Domi especially seemed destined to be a leaf for a long time.

I guess we'll have to see how it plays out. Still early

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Definitely interested in McGroarty but what kind of cost is there?
Is McGroarty a player that you take on that you move on from Nick Robertson, and offer him as part of a trade?

I’ve been eager to see what Nick can do with a coach other than Keefe and a Robertson booster, but do you move on from him to make McGroarty happen?

Are you adding anything else? Jarnkrok?

Can’t wait for the Draft and July 1st!

Reactions: rumman

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There might be more to come, and now that Dubas is gone, they’re more likely to actually play for the Leafs.
It only took 1 year for Treliving to trade as many of those 35 prospects as a future as Dubas did in 5 years. You're objectively wrong. We're more likely to lose them now.
What's misrepresented? One player out of the pool, one pick into the pool....
Sandin was not part of our prospect pool anymore. He was an NHL player that we had extracted the prospect value out of. He's now overpaid.
Even if you want to use this poor metric, it's 2.
It's 1. Durzi. As part of a great trade.
As I said already, it would have been more if we had better players in the pool.
We had plenty of good and coveted players in the pool. We very publicly prioritized keeping the prospects over picks.
You don't think it's dishonest at all to keep bringing up the pick we added in the Sandin trade, and trying to hide the pick that went out in the Durzi trade?
I didn't hide anything. I don't know how many times I have to say that the Durzi trade (justifiably) removed from the pool before you hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad