Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Did we have a chance? I don't think they could afford to offer what Vegas did unless you mean move Mitch or Willie to create the room. Once the first round of megadeals was signed that has been it for spending big on areas of need.

We signed Brodie for 5 mil that offseason instead. That’s a Kerfoot + Engvall gap to Pietro, it’s not the money he just didn’t want to come here.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Tavares Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Jenner Nylander
Knies Domi Jarnkrok
Gregor Kampf Holmberg
McMann

Rielly Peeke
Brodie Lilly
Benoit McCabe
Gio

Woll
Jones

Reactions: arso40

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
For 2.75 Peeke is way too big of a gamble. He really hasn't shown he's an effective everyday NHL player

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I wouldn't mind trying to get Burrows from SJ for Timmins. Good 3rd pair stay at home d man who can help the PK. Plays the kind of game Treliving wants us to play and he's signed for 3 years at 1.1 so that's not too bad considering Timmins is getting paid the exact same for 2 years and not even playing here. We also need a d partner for Rielly who is right handed. Too many left shot d men on this team and Brodie has looked awful on the right side this year. Game has got too fast that you can't get away with the off hand defender as easily now, especially on the breakout. Problem is who do you go for. Fabbro is still young and a RFA after this season and probably one of the better 2 way defencemen that's on the market most likely imo. Peeke is the same age as Fabbro and has term at 2.75 which could be a steal if he's as effective as Schenn was as Riellys partner. Then there's the obvious one in Tanev who I feel could be a 1 for 1 deal with Brodie just because they are around the same age and contracts pretty much identical and Calgary could use the left shot defender and us the right shot defender. Pretty much the same players. Could have a new d core like this:

Rielly-Tanev/Peeke/Fabbro
McCabe-Liljegren
Benoit-Burrows

I also feel we need more physical forwards. 4th line just has no identity at all. Can't shutdown anything and aren't getting the crowd or anybody going by hitting anybody who has the puck. I feel like our 4th line has been boring since we had freaking Colton Orr and them. They may have sucked but at least they had an identity and got the building going. McLeod from New Jersey would be great. Top 5 faceoff guy in the league, fast and very physical. Bastian is another but I don't think New Jersey is looking to make moves unless it's for a goalie or defence.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
He doesn't nearly have the production to ask for 14.5 but curious why you think he wants out?
He might end the year with a 2nd straight 100 point season, selke candidate potential and hart trophy potential on a possible Presidents Trophy team, hes could very well end up with a lot of leverage, especially when a fellow swede just signed for 11.5 and hasn't produced as much as you have the past 2 seasons. I'm not saying hes going to sign for 14.5 but I'm willing to bet that's where his management is going to say he's worth.

I think between his comments about not wanting to play their unless they are successful (they certainly appear to be!) and there not being a lot of progress in his contract talks just give me a weird vibe about it.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I agree move on.

The thing about bringing him back as 3rd. pairing means he's 3rd. pairing.

Go get the best young 3rd. pairing you can get.

Best young 3rd. pairing defender = potential to get better
Brodie = is going to get worse
For me I think Brodie would look a lot better away from 1st pairing matchups. I just don't see him taking 3rd pairing money for what is likely his last contract but I would love to have him back in that role. If they are going to get a legit RD upgrade it has to come by trade. I am pretty comfortable Tanev would make them stronger for this year but he is 34 and not a solution with any longevity. This will be an interesting test for Tre as I think Shanny will let him burn some assets this year if a younger D upgrade is out there.

Reactions: arso40

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
He might end the year with a 2nd straight 100 point season, selke candidate potential and hart trophy potential on a possible Presidents Trophy team, hes could very well end up with a lot of leverage, especially when a fellow swede just signed for 11.5 and hasn't produced as much as you have the past 2 seasons. I'm not saying hes going to sign for 14.5 but I'm willing to bet that's where his management is going to say he's worth.

I think between his comments about not wanting to play their unless they are successful (they certainly appear to be!) and there not being a lot of progress in his contract talks just give me a weird vibe about it.
fair enough - personally i think one of the big ones they wanted to wait for was nylander's deal, see what he got..

i think right now based on production he is hovering around the 12 mark... 500K on either side but how much more do you add for center and his excellently developing 200 foot game

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

EP is getting at least 12.5. The reality is that Vancouver needs to pay whatever it takes to keep him. They cannot let him leave.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
For me I think Brodie would look a lot better away from 1st pairing matchups. I just don't see him taking 3rd pairing money for what is likely his last contract but I would love to have him back in that role. If they are going to get a legit RD upgrade it has to come by trade. I am pretty comfortable Tanev would make them stronger for this year but he is 34 and not a solution with any longevity. This will be an interesting test for Tre as I think Shanny will let him burn some assets this year if a younger D upgrade is out there.
If we could get pry andersson I would give them timmins Cowan/ Minten and abruzeze plus cap dump to make it work

horner

May 22, 2007
If we could get pry andersson I would give them timmins Cowan/ Minten and abruzeze plus cap dump to make it work
We don't even know the goaltending situation yet.
Need more than one dman
If mathews isn't scoring we aren't winning
Our bottom six is weak
We aren't set up for a deep run

Brodie post game comment I think he said there's more to like than hockey

If JT doesn't wake up we are screwd

We need these ELC contracts to build our D

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaffan1991

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
The reality is until that anchor of a Tavares contract is off the books its going to be difficult and with Keefe at the helm we will never see our kids get long stretches early on

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
EP is getting at least 12.5. The reality is that Vancouver needs to pay whatever it takes to keep him. They cannot let him leave.

Vancouver will be lucky if he commits 8 years.

I could see him hitting them with a big money short term deal, especially after how his other rfa negotiations have gone

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
We are definitely not 4 dmen away from icing a contending blueline.

Rielly, McCabe, Liljegren and Benoit are perfectly fine.

We need a top pairing and a second pairing defenceman.

Andersson would be a dream but cost a ton to acquire… Parayko isn’t a bad option and more realistic IMO.
For me, On a good d McCabe Lily and Benoit are all third pair.
2 are LD and the one RD is not the ideal type for third pair.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs blueline under Dubas was not "shitty". Your personal feelings do not overrule objective fact.

Muzzin was healthy coming into last season, and was still an important and effective piece, coming off an excellent playoff performance. Permanently losing him to a fluke cervical spine injury that had nothing to do with previous injuries certainly impacted us, but we were still a good defensive team after that. We still got good defensive results. And that's because Dubas had built up a strong defense around him, built up solid defensive ability in his forward group to support, and because contrary to your claims, he did address it in-season, and brought in 3 defensemen (McCabe, Schenn, and Gustafsson), while also bringing in a Selke-caliber forward, and multiple defensively-conscience pieces to boost our forward depth defensive ability and assist our PK.

Again, why would you want Ekholm? You claim we should have purged Muzzin, but you want to bring in and sacrifice other pieces for an equally old and more expensive defenseman with more term experiencing a much bigger decline? It's hypocritical.

We didn't just lose Holl and Schenn. We lost Muzzin to injury in-season, and then we lost Holl, Schenn, Sandin, Gustafsson, Benn, O'Rielly, Kerfoot, Engvall, Acciari, Lafferty, and ZAR. And then we went out and spent big money on some of the worst defensive players in the league, while not replacing the Muzzin loss (or any defensive loss for that matter) or protecting against possible age-related decline in Giordano. Brodie's decline is heavily exaggerated and he was good for us throughout Dubas' tenure. If Treliving thought that Brodie was going to decline this year, he had opportunity to do something about that too. He had positive value.

Dubas took over a bad defensive team that featured defensive cap anchors and a top-4D that would soon start to break down to career-ending injuries in his late 20s, and he was already adding a top-pairing defenseman half a season into his tenure, and had us as a top defensive team within a couple years. Treliving took over a good defensive team and dropped them back to being a bad defensive team, with bad decisions that would obviously have that exact result. He didn't need to fix our defensive results. He just needed to not sabotage it like he has.

What happened to the concept of sample size again? Five years vs 45 games of Treliving, where he inherited all of Rielly, Brodie, Liljegren, McCabe, Giordano from Dubas and brought in Benoit (success), Lagesson (serviceable depth) and Klingberg (abject failure).

Seems like 5/6 bodies the Leafs play on D are hold overs from the golden age. And yet somehow it’s the new GM who has spoiled the winning recipe after letting Holl and Schenn go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad