Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
During Dubas' tenure, the first 2.5 years was Lou's/Mike's fault. The next 2 years was a combination of the fans, weather and taxes fault. And then finally year was Shanny's fault.

Pretty remarkable.
the BIG mistake Dubas made was not getting Pietrangelo when we had the chance ...ig cap hit, but the #1RHD we have wanted and needed since we drafter Matthews.
We may have won a Cup if he'd signed here. He is that big a factor.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
the BIG mistake Dubas made was not getting Pietrangelo when we had the chance ...ig cap hit, but the #1RHD we have wanted and needed since we drafter Matthews.
this, wouldn't have to to overpay Matthews and Marner on their next contracts, Matthews would have been the captain as he should be

Reactions: arso40

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Though he also would have needed to want to come here. I think his wife/family seemed like they wanted to stay in the US when he hit free agency

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
NHL Rumour Roundup: As Canucks look to buy, will Maple Leafs ‘reset’? - Sportsnet.ca

WHAT’S TORONTO’S MINDSET: BUY OR RESET THE ROSTER?

With a 4-3 win in Calgary Thursday night, the Toronto Maple Leafs moved back into third spot in the Atlantic and cooled the temperature around them for at least another day.

But, still, the conversation around this team centres around how good they really are compared to expectations. Should these Leafs be buyers once again at this deadline or are their roster holes and inconsistencies exposing them as a team that should instead take the season to reshape things?

“I think Toronto’s thinking bigger picture. I don’t think this is about this year anymore. I think they’re thinking about where they’re going. I really wonder if deep down the organization is saying ‘we’re not good enough to win this year, we are resetting and reshaping our roster,'” Friedman said. “The more I think about the Nylander negotiation, getting him signed, it was about ‘what does our structure look like so we can start to rebuild that roster.'”

The pending Mitch Marner and John Tavares extensions, which can be signed as soon as July 1, loom large. Marner figures to get a raise on his $10.9 million AAV, but how much? Tavares would be 35 whenever his next contract kicks in, so would he consider a discount from his $11 million rate and, again, by how much?

But it’s not just that. The Leafs have to consider their entire defence corps, where Morgan Rielly is the only blueliner signed past next season. And then there is the goaltending. Joseph Woll is still hopefully the No. 1 and proves it when he returns from a high ankle sprain, but if that happens he too will be due a healthy raise on his $766,667 rate when his contract expires after next season.

“I think before they committed to signing Nylander they went everywhere in the league and said ‘is there a defenceman making Nylander’s money or close to it that we can replace him with’ and those players are not available,” said Friedman.

So what does that mean? Will Toronto try to address its defence in-season? Could they explore moving out any pending UFAs, from TJ Brodie, to Max Domi or Tyler Bertuzzi?

After years of buying, it’s suddenly not clear how this year’s Maple Leafs will approach the trade deadline.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Looking ahead for the blue line, one UFA target that I see if he makes it is Matt Roy .. a quality RHD that could be the Brodie replacement we need, and is 28 currently. Likely comes cheap than other known names like Pesce and Hanifin

Rielly-Roy
McCabe-Liljegren
Benoit-Brodie

Let Gio walk .. depending on cost though, I'd look at re-signing Brodie. But the idea is to reduce his minutes and play him in a lesser role. I think less big minutes and fresh off-season will help. He's had a tough year with his dad's passing and I think that's partially affected him. But at the end of the day he is aging as well, but him in a depth role wouldn't be bad.

Let Brodie and Giordano walk.

As I mentioned in another post, Benoit and Liljegren have played the same number of games. Less than a year apart in age. Neither has hit 200 games yet, but both are NHL defenders IMO.
What they need is just more ripening.

Rielly, McCabe, Liljegren, Benoit.

Timmins is 25, but due to injury history has less than 100 games. Maybe a Holl progression?

They need one defender between Rielly and the rest.
That would make creating pairs much easier.

Where who plays would be based on who won the competition to be in the top 4.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I would lean towards no Brodie at all. If we want to be bigger, more athletic, harder to play against I think we just want to move on from as many pieces we have now as possible.

I agree move on.

The thing about bringing him back as 3rd. pairing means he's 3rd. pairing.

Go get the best young 3rd. pairing you can get.

Best young 3rd. pairing defender = potential to get better
Brodie = is going to get worse

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you look at lightening and Vegas cup team they both had large dmen.
Vancouver this year added Cole soucy zadorov all big bodies
In the playoffs big bodied dmen can play a little more clutch and grab and block out forwards

We need a couple bigger dmen

An NHL blueline is only 6 bodies, so a few key changes can change the complexion of a franchise entirely.

Reilly, Liljegren, McCabe and Benoit can be kept. And you’re basically just shopping for two quality pieces. Max 3 if you move one of McCabe or Lily.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree move on.

The thing about bringing him back as 3rd. pairing means he's 3rd. pairing.

Go get the best young 3rd. pairing you can get.

Best young 3rd. pairing defender = potential to get better
Brodie = is going to get worse

Agreed. Get a 3rd pairing like Benoit. Just get someone with size, athleticism, prime age who can do a job and not be the formerly good player who is now in a veteran role.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Agreed. Get a 3rd pairing like Benoit. Just get someone with size, athleticism, prime age who can do a job and not be the formerly good player who is now in a veteran role.

Yep.

This core's time is now, and will be now for the next 5 years.

I think you can add a young veteran who could be with the team for those years, and Brodie isn't that.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Agreed. He would've come here imo as well. No doubt

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
The Leafs blueline under Dubas was not "shitty". Your personal feelings do not overrule objective fact.

Muzzin was healthy coming into last season, and was still an important and effective piece, coming off an excellent playoff performance. Permanently losing him to a fluke cervical spine injury that had nothing to do with previous injuries certainly impacted us, but we were still a good defensive team after that. We still got good defensive results. And that's because Dubas had built up a strong defense around him, built up solid defensive ability in his forward group to support, and because contrary to your claims, he did address it in-season, and brought in 3 defensemen (McCabe, Schenn, and Gustafsson), while also bringing in a Selke-caliber forward, and multiple defensively-conscience pieces to boost our forward depth defensive ability and assist our PK.

Again, why would you want Ekholm? You claim we should have purged Muzzin, but you want to bring in and sacrifice other pieces for an equally old and more expensive defenseman with more term experiencing a much bigger decline? It's hypocritical.

We didn't just lose Holl and Schenn. We lost Muzzin to injury in-season, and then we lost Holl, Schenn, Sandin, Gustafsson, Benn, O'Rielly, Kerfoot, Engvall, Acciari, Lafferty, and ZAR. And then we went out and spent big money on some of the worst defensive players in the league, while not replacing the Muzzin loss (or any defensive loss for that matter) or protecting against possible age-related decline in Giordano. Brodie's decline is heavily exaggerated and he was good for us throughout Dubas' tenure. If Treliving thought that Brodie was going to decline this year, he had opportunity to do something about that too. He had positive value.

Dubas took over a bad defensive team that featured defensive cap anchors and a top-4D that would soon start to break down to career-ending injuries in his late 20s, and he was already adding a top-pairing defenseman half a season into his tenure, and had us as a top defensive team within a couple years. Treliving took over a good defensive team and dropped them back to being a bad defensive team, with bad decisions that would obviously have that exact result. He didn't need to fix our defensive results. He just needed to not sabotage it like he has.
Read this, died laughing, scared the crap out of everyone in the GO train.

There
Are
No
Words
🤡
….

Mods, please do not allow this thread to be overrun by specific posters who will not stop until they feel they’ve “won”.

Many thanks.

Happy Friday

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
During Dubas' tenure, the first 2.5 years was Lou's/Mike's fault. The next 2 years was a combination of the fans, weather and taxes fault. And then finally year was Shanny's fault.

Pretty remarkable.
Quoted for fact.

The goalposts never seem to stay in one place, do they?

Well done.

horner

May 22, 2007
Literally all of that is just flat out not true.
30% of an active roster in any given game is defensemen. 31.4% of our draft picks under Dubas were defensemen, including 37.5% of our picks from the first 3 rounds.
We allocated more cap to defense every year under Dubas, compared to this year.
He brought in a number of quality defensemen through free agency and trade, including a top pairing defenseman and a #2/3 long term, and multiple other top-4 defensemen.
The only time we've had good defensive results in ages is under him. Every single year, for a decade before him, we ranged from a bottom 10 defensive team to worst defensive team in the league. We also built a forward group under him that was strong defensively.
The only problem that I have about him is that he mostly drafted small skilled dman and missed opportunities to trade for a really good dman.
2020 draft I think we should have drafted Guhle and not because of what happened to Amirov..
2018 draft we draft a skilled small dman Sandin, I think we should have drafted Samuelson 31 overall .
Toews was traded for 2 2nd rd pks.

Size matters in the playoffs

Reactions: Bigmarycombo

horner

May 22, 2007
Did Tanev look that good last night, not worth giving up a 1st.
UFA 4.5 mil * 3 yrs

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Did Tanev look that good last night, not worth giving up a 1st.
UFA 4.5 mil * 3 yrs
Not for a 1st and he would have to be a playoff stud for him to be more than a rental for me. I like the guy when he is on his game but I would probably want him a year at a time and I don't know that he would go for that.

Reactions: horner

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Did we have a chance? I don't think they could afford to offer what Vegas did unless you mean move Mitch or Willie to create the room. Once the first round of megadeals was signed that has been it for spending big on areas of need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad