Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
You keep posting like the Leafs have leverage and that is why your entire premise is nonsense.
The more you post, the more ridiculous the entire notion looks because you yourself are illustrating why it is a pipe dream.
What?

It's got nothing to do with leverage. If you ask them, and they say no, then fine. You can then try to find other ways around it, and in Tavares' case, because of his age and there not being a great deal of trade value, a buy-out is an option if you feel after another playoff exit, that change may be for the best.

Also, Cap space, I'm told, isn't an issue this summer anyway, so whether it's less than a league min. is almost irrelevant.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
What?

It's got nothing to do with leverage. If you ask them, and they say no, then fine. You can then try to find other ways around it, and in Tavares' case, because of his age and there not being a great deal of trade value, a buy-out is an option if you feel after another playoff exit, that change may be for the best.

Also, Cap space, I'm told, isn't an issue this summer anyway, so whether it's less than a league min. is almost irrelevant.
I'm done. You are making less sense with every post.
You want to waive Tavares for the hell of it. Like seriously.

• Haha
Reactions: Rare Jewel

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
So, if these guys bomb out of the playoffs early (again), you're "running it back" once more, please.

smh.

I see you recognize that you lost the argument so now you have changed gears to anything short of waiving Tavares for no cap advantage is the end of the world.

Because waiving Tavares to gain roughly 700,000 in cap space next year and to lose 300,000 in cap space the year after is such an awesome solution. Once they waive Tavares, we can plan the parade.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I see you recognize that you lost the argument so now you have changed gears to anything short of waiving Tavares for no cap advantage is the end of the world.

Because waiving Tavares to gain roughly 700,000 in cap space next year and to lose 300,000 in cap space the year after is such an awesome solution. Once they waive Tavares, we can plan the parade.
You didn't answer my question.

Do you come back with the same core group if they lose in the first around again?

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
You didn't answer my question.

Do you come back with the same core group if they lose in the first around again?

Your question is a disingenuous question which ignores reality.

This is about you trying to claim that trading Tavares is easy and straightforward, ignoring that Tavares actually has the leverage. And then resorting to waiving him has some form of 'threat', which makes no sense in any reality and makes the Leafs substantially worse.

I would also like Tavares for McDavid, if we are playing NHL disneyland.

Reactions: Scion

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
This is about you trying to claim that trading Tavares is easy and straightforward, ignoring that Tavares actually has the leverage.
I haven't said anything about trading him or waiving him. You can't do either without his permission So, what are you on about? I know trading is going to be difficult; that's why we're talking about the idea of buying him out because it may be the only option if you want to change that core now.

But the question isn't disingenuous: what do you do if they get bounced early again?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Minnesota is back to being ass. Wonder if they would be sellers. Would Hartman be available? Or Duhaime?

What about Middelton for defense?

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Minnesota is back to being ass. Wonder if they would be sellers. Would Hartman be available? Or Duhaime?

Hartman signed 4 years extension and has nmc now. Minnesota has no reason to trade Middleton unless they get a 1st as they aren’t rebuilding

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Hartman signed 4 years extension and has nmc now. Minnesota has no reason to trade Middleton unless they get a 1st as they aren’t rebuilding
Guerin said earlier if the team continues to underperform (which they are), changes will be made.

I can see middleton being available. You make a good point about Hartman so I'll leave him off

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Guerin said earlier if the team continues to underperform (which they are), changes will be made.

I can see middleton being available. You make a good point about Hartman so I'll leave him off
I mean whatever they do, they will want to be back on track next year with any chance of signing kaprizov. Kaprizov and keeping him happy is what’s hovering over any decision Minnesota decides to make

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If this upcoming week is going to go the way I feel, I think we start planning the sell off ourselves and what we can get back for some of the unsigned pieces that can help another club. Bertuzzi for a couple of picks, Domi for a pick, Brodie to someone who need a bit of defensive help, like that kind of conversation.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
We're on a collision course with Florida in the playoffs. Need to add talent and more grit to this squad

I don't know if this team is deadline-fixable.

I said it in another thread but outside of stellar depth acquisitions, this off-season was a disaster.

I would hate to spend what few assets we have in futility.

The good thing is it was a lot of one year deals.

Reactions: Scion and horner

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If this upcoming week is going to go the way I feel, I think we start planning the sell off ourselves and what we can get back for some of the unsigned pieces that can help another club. Bertuzzi for a couple of picks, Domi for a pick, Brodie to someone who need a bit of defensive help, like that kind of conversation.
If that is to happen, probably Gio too.
Would be interesting if the Leafs will still play like this with those kids coming up or actually be a quicker and faster team with hunger like the way Holmberg is playing.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't know if this team is deadline-fixable.

I said it in another thread but outside of stellar depth acquisitions, this off-season was a disaster.

I would hate to spend what few assets we have in futility.

The good thing is it was a lot of one year deals.
No way this team is deadline-fixable.
If anything, they should not make any trades this deadline unless for a Dman with terms.
Imagine Tre signed Schenn instead of Kling in the off season. Schenn might not put up points but he can hold down the spot next to Reilly on our No.1 D pairing and allow TJ to slide down and play with McCabe. He might cost a mil too much but I really think it is time to realise that anyone that can be good next to Reilly and making that a true first pairing D is worth the money.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If there's anything that is at least becoming a bright spot...Hope he remains in both the NHL and the lineup.
He is actually playing like he did last season until the TDL where all the new guys came and bumped him off the lineup. He was never the same until this called up.
Hope he continues to play well and I think he is someone who plays better when there is less space as he was the playoffs MVP or led the team in scoring in Sweden a few years ago.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He is actually playing like he did last season until the TDL where all the new guys came and bumped him off the lineup. He was never the same until this called up.
Hope he continues to play well and I think he is someone who plays better when there is less space as he was the playoffs MVP or led the team in scoring in Sweden a few years ago.
In fairness, I regarded him well last season and not quite so much earlier this season. He seems to be on the path to hitting his stride now though and I'd hate to have that momentum stalled (again). Even if I'm not thinking of anything greater than a bottom six role, I can't find much fault with 800K x 2.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
In fairness, I regarded him well last season and not quite so much earlier this season. He seems to be on the path to hitting his stride now though and I'd hate to have that momentum stalled (again). Even if I'm not thinking of anything greater than a bottom six role, I can't find much fault with 800K x 2.
I think playing him with Domi and Willie will create a very fast, quick and danger line. Can't really play D in their own zone but maybe they will learn and then hunt for odd man rush chances.
Then have Bert-JT-Knies on another line that just cycle and forecheck. Leave Calle with AM and MM.
Thats a pretty good three line that can score and play differently, making it hard for the opposing team to defend.

Reactions: Buds17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No way this team is deadline-fixable.
If anything, they should not make any trades this deadline unless for a Dman with terms.
Imagine Tre signed Schenn instead of Kling in the off season. Schenn might not put up points but he can hold down the spot next to Reilly on our No.1 D pairing and allow TJ to slide down and play with McCabe. He might cost a mil too much but I really think it is time to realise that anyone that can be good next to Reilly and making that a true first pairing D is worth the money.

This team probably needs a modest sell off at the deadline and have more trade chips, cap flexibility and clean slate come offseason. If it looks like we’re borderline to make the playoffs we probably don’t need to own rental Bertuzzi, Domi, Brodie, Gio, or hold into Kampf, whatever.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think playing him with Domi and Willie will create a very fast, quick and danger line. Can't really play D in their own zone but maybe they will learn and then hunt for odd man rush chances.
Then have Bert-JT-Knies on another line that just cycle and forecheck. Leave Calle with AM and MM.
Thats a pretty good three line that can score and play differently, making it hard for the opposing team to defend.

It’s shocking how this team has such little counter rush ability. Gone are the days of Mikheyev and even Engvall.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It’s shocking how this team has such little counter rush ability. Gone are the days of Mikheyev and even Engvall.
They never did had counter rush or ever an odd man rush team due to Keefe and Dubas philosophy of possession hockey. Babs's style was more possession in the Ozone and need to get the puck as quick as possible out of the Dzone. I think the secret lies some where in between these two style. One thing I do know is that, in playoffs, odd man rush chances and goals are often the difference between winning and losing a game.
Still don't know why AM rarely scores on 2 on 1 or odd man rushes same with Willie.

Reactions: weems and arso40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad