Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Where he slots at C vs W are completely different- very different jobs. Very likely that he'd still be a + level 2nd line or even 1st line offensive winger. I'd like to see him moved to LW and Domi slotted between him and Willy.
Not sure if that line would work, Domi and Nylander base their offence off speed. Tavares would only slow them down. But either way, I think Tavares being moved to the wing while still taking faceoffs on his strong side seriously needs to be explored asap.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Big kick in the teeth that the Captain of the Leafs didnt get voted in by the fans when the ASG is in Toronto.

John Tavares isn’t all that popular nor is he an All-Star on merit. I know they build him up like this beloved pillar of the franchise and whatnot but my feeling is he’s always lacked an authentic connection and a touch overrated.

Reactions: thewave

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tavares isnt waiving his NMC. It should be clear by now.

I would guess he signs a team friendly-ish deal and keeps his own personal dream of being Leaf captain and living where he wants to alive for a handful more years and everyone will just have to live with it.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
No way this team is deadline-fixable.
If anything, they should not make any trades this deadline unless for a Dman with terms.
Imagine Tre signed Schenn instead of Kling in the off season. Schenn might not put up points but he can hold down the spot next to Reilly on our No.1 D pairing and allow TJ to slide down and play with McCabe. He might cost a mil too much but I really think it is time to realise that anyone that can be good next to Reilly and making that a true first pairing D is worth the money.

Yes I could get behind a trade for a relatively young defender that benefits us now and in the future.

I think the best approach would be to recognize the mistakes, strip it down to the core (shouldn't be hard since most non-core players don't have contracts next season) and "retool".

And pray the FA market is kind to us.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
John Tavares isn’t all that popular nor is he an All-Star on merit. I know they build him up like this beloved pillar of the franchise and whatnot but my feeling is he’s always lacked an authentic connection and a touch overrated.

The door creaked open on the discussion of trading him just because Treliving came in and didn't sign the contract. The success he envisioned us having hasn't really came to be so while I still have my doubts he'd waive, I would hope we can at least explore it.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
So your response about obtaining a declining D, is pointing out we have a declining C? I mean... umm.. I thought we wanted to move forward? Not linearly backwards? This doesn't improve the Dcore... at all. no sir. Bad move. Sorry Hamzie.

This is change, for the sake of change, with no thoughts of constructing a proper team. Now the #2 C is who... Domi? Kampf? Like seriously... straight up garbage. Shuffling deck chairs on the titanic... nothing more.
Nylander plays 2C or you get 4M saving to add a 2C

The move definately improves the dcore. Carlson adds a different dimensiom to our team, has a shot which our PP could use heavily.

This is realistically the only core shakeup type of move we can make/look to make

Matthews wont be traded
Nylander cant be traded
Marner has a NMC and declining value.

Tavares for a top 2D of similar age, fixes the cap allignment a bit.

This cant be the only trade to the dcore

We would need to add a Parayako/Pesce/hanafin in the summer as well and then the team has been upgraded well

Rielly - Parayako/Pesce/Hanafin/Tanev(worst case)
Carlson - Lilijgren
McCabe - XXX (niemela or brodie if at 2M or less

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I believe he will be RFA, he was UFA in the off-season because the Devils did not qualify him but they re-signed him to a different contract, along with Bastian.
yes like samsonov- became UFA when Caps did not qualify but was still a RFA when his deal with leafs ended

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Matthews wont be traded
-No reason to trade the best goal scorer in the league. He got his money just like Ovi.
Nylander cant be traded
Can be traded this season.
How can one have declining value and be expected to get a big raise? Some only in Toronto chit right there.
Absolutely need a D-man, G too but that next to impossible to get and should have been addressed through the draft.

We would need to add a Parayako/Pesce/hanafin in the summer as well and then the team has been upgraded well

Carlson - Lilijgren
Not sure how any of this materializes.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Does anyone know if Michael McLeod is a UFA or RFA after this season? I see some places have him listed as an RFA and others as a UFA… I know he didn’t get qualified last off-season but re-signed with New Jersey so if I had to guess, he’d be a UFA this up-coming off-season?

That's a strange one. You are correct, he did not receive a Qualifying Offer, which should have made him a UFA last season. Devils did extend him on July 1st, but he should be a UFA once that one year deal runs out. I could have sworn CapFriendly had him as a UFA last week... I even talked about him in this forum as being a UFA, after looking at him there... weird.

""

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
-No reason to trade the best goal scorer in the league. He got his money just like Ovi.

Can be traded this season.

How can one have declining value and be expected to get a big raise? Some only in Toronto chit right there.

Absolutely need a D-man, G too but that next to impossible to get and should have been addressed through the draft.

Not sure how any of this materializes.
Pesce is a UFA this summer as are Hanafin (potentially not signed yet) and Tanev

Price ranges for the 3

Pesce: 7 years x 6M
Hanafin: 7 years x 7M
Tanev: 3 years x 4M

Parayako would be tough to add.

Our assets include 2024 1st, Minten, Niemela, Robertson. Equalizing the cap is tough, not sure who we send out to get cap even.

Ideally we can get Pesce to come at around 6M and then Carlson if Tavares waives at 7M

13M in vs JT 11M out. Only 2M increase which can be worked around

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I would guess he signs a team friendly-ish deal and keeps his own personal dream of being Leaf captain and living where he wants to alive for a handful more years and everyone will just have to live with it.
That's a bingo.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Pesce is a UFA this summer as are Hanafin (potentially not signed yet) and Tanev

Price ranges for the 3

Our assets include 2024 1st, Minten, Niemela, Robertson. Equalizing the cap is tough, not sure who we send out to get cap even.

Ideally we can get Pesce to come at around 6M and then Carlson if Tavares waives at 7M

I probably wouldn't go beyond 1 year 3.5-4M on a 34-35 year old Tanev.

Reactions: Minty Cowboy

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I probably wouldn't go beyond 1 year 3.5-4M on a 34-35 year old Tanev.
If he signs for that, wouldbbe a good deal. He is a local guy and may be fine with 1 or 2 years at 2.5 to 3M if he really wajts to come home

Issue with him is his ailing body. Pretty injury prone throughout his career

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
That's a strange one. You are correct, he did not receive a Qualifying Offer, which should have made him a UFA last season. Devils did extend him on July 1st, but he should be a UFA once that one year deal runs out.
Being group 6/ non-tendered makes a player a UFA for that offseason, but once signed they have to earn "true" UFA status just like anyone else- 7 years or 27 as of June 1st. Mcleod will be 26 with 6 years this summer.

Same way we have Benoit and Gregor as RFA's despite signingthem as UFA's

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Nylander plays 2C or you get 4M saving to add a 2C

The move definately improves the dcore. Carlson adds a different dimensiom to our team, has a shot which our PP could use heavily.

This is realistically the only core shakeup type of move we can make/look to make

Matthews wont be traded
Nylander cant be traded

Carlson - Lilijgren

Point shots suck. With traffic, score on average 3% of the time. Without traffic, 1%... that's not how you build a PP, or team. Outside of a low % point shot, he doesn't provide anything this team lacks. This team lacks being hard to play against... Carlson isn't that. Noting... Carlson shooting percentage.. 3.4%.... so ya...

..and you want Parayko too? A guy who has had back problems, play declined and never was a top guy... He looked great paired with Pietrangelo... and Pietrangelo was the one stirring the drink there. You would want a Pietrangelo, not Parayko.

This post right here, is exactly what is wrong with the fanbase... they want the big shiny brand name players, who will cost a great deal. (who often aren't nearly as good as they once were) You want to build a good sustainable team, long-term, you find the next Carlson, the next Parayko, the next Pesce.... A list of well known players, all in their 30's... This isn't the pre-retirement community.

Being group 6/ non-tendered makes a player a UFA for that offseason, but once signed they have to earn "true" UFA status just like anyone else- 7 years or 27 as of June 1st. Mcleod will be 26 with 6 years this summer.

Same way we have Benoit and Gregor as RFA's despite signingthem as UFA's
Appreciate the explanation. Thanks.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Point shots suck. With traffic, score on average 3% of the time. Without traffic, 1%... that's not how you build a PP, or team. Outside of a low % point shot, he doesn't provide anything this team lacks. This team lacks being hard to play against... Carlson isn't that. Noting... Carlson shooting percentage.. 3.4%.... so ya...

..and you want Parayko too? A guy who has had back problems, play declined and never was a top guy... He looked great paired with Pietrangelo... and Pietrangelo was the one stirring the drink there. You would want a Pietrangelo, not Parayko.

This post right here, is exactly what is wrong with the fanbase... they want the big shiny brand name players, who will cost a great deal. (who often aren't nearly as good as they once were) You want to build a good sustainable team, long-term, you find the next Carlson, the next Parayko, the next Pesce.... A list of well known players, all in their 30's... This isn't the pre-retirement community.

Parayako is still a top 2D, he plays on a bad team with a terrible goalie

He has a long contract sure, but everyone here has said the cap is rising so overpayments now dont matter as much

Parayako/hanafin/pesce/tanev are 4 guys that I would he after. 3 are likely UFAs and 1 is a trade move

The backend lacks both puck movers/offensive in zone guys and guys who can be hard to play against.

If we added carlson we have Rielly, Carlson as elite puck movers

Lilijgren + 1 of Pesce/Parayko/Tanev/Hanafin as two way guys who provide some offense and can play hard minutes

McCabe + XXX --> would be the hard to play against guys

If you look at 2023 Knights

Thedore + Pie were more offensive guts then physical hard to play against. Both were very skilled and can log big minutes

McNabb and hague were the hard to play against guys who had size, solid skating and were taking the man/body

Martinez was two way guy who could provide a bit of both

2022 Avs

Makar + Girard --> Offensive guys, of course Makar is generational so kind of screws the comp

Byram + Toews as two way guys who can play the tough matchups and mins

Manson + EJ as the physical gritty hard to play against guys.

we need to have ideally 2 of each bucket

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Part of what makes the Avs so dangerous is that their forwards back up teams with their speed and aggressiveness, and then their defenceman have the speed and puck-transporting ability to threaten in that space. The Leafs defense does not have that same ability.
I think only a few Leafs forwards have those abilities too.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Visually, Parayko actually looks fine, pretty mobile still, rangy, good stick etc I feel he'd compliment Rielly really well but there is that trepidation because people see the contract (the last 2-3 years of it could suck) and because everyone has dumped on him for so long. I remember a lot of people dumping on Doughty but he's still a damned good player.

In saying all of the above, I do believe you need to find the next one before they break out. Schneider (NYR) or Korczak (VGK) are my top choices.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Price ranges for the 3

actually only 1 mil increase as you are replacing JT and another on the roster-someone making 950k for two roster player in Pesce and Carlson

Reactions: hamzarocks

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Parayako is still a top 2D, he plays on a bad team with a terrible goalie

He has a long contract sure, but everyone here has said the cap is rising so overpayments now dont matter as much

Parayako/hanafin/pesce/tanev are 4 guys that I would he after. 3 are likely UFAs and 1 is a trade move

The backend lacks both puck movers/offensive in zone guys and guys who can be hard to play against.

If we added carlson we have Rielly, Carlson as elite puck movers

Lilijgren + 1 of Pesce/Parayko/Tanev/Hanafin as two way guys who provide some offense and can play hard minutes

McCabe + XXX --> would be the hard to play against guys

If you look at 2023 Knights

Thedore + Pie were more offensive guts then physical hard to play against. Both were very skilled and can log big minutes

McNabb and hague were the hard to play against guys who had size, solid skating and were taking the man/body

Martinez was two way guy who could provide a bit of both

2022 Avs

Makar + Girard --> Offensive guys, of course Makar is generational so kind of screws the comp

Byram + Toews as two way guys who can play the tough matchups and mins

Manson + EJ as the physical gritty hard to play against guys.

we need to have ideally 2 of each bucket
But after the season he and the Blues have had, it’s getting harder and harder to see Parayko in that same light. This is the fourth straight season that Parayko’s expected goals percentage has been under 50 percent, dropping each year. His defensive numbers have also ballooned each year, going from 2.24 expected goals against per 60 minutes in 2019-20 to 2.29, 2.58 and 2.79 this season. His goals-against totals have followed.

Parayko plays very hard minutes, but the best defenders win those minutes. He hasn’t. Not for a while, and especially not relative to teammates. Over the past four seasons, the Blues’ expected goal differential is the same with Parayko on the ice as it is with him off, but their goal differential per 60 minutes is 0.3 worse. Among the 182 defenders to play 2,000 minutes in that timeframe, Parayko ranks 162nd — a shade ahead of Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

-----------------------

Parayko has been in decline for years now.... plus he'd cost a ton in futures, that we can't afford.

By the way, it's Hanifin... not Hanafin.

Shiny toys... it's an addiction.

Find some good young players that can grow with us, or even some UFA's, if they aren't too
expensive. If we are going to move someone, it really has to be Marner, and I appreciate the challenges in that. But, he would return a pretty solid package.

Also noting...... That's Benoit - Timmins TOI, xGF, xGA.. both of these guys have had excellent results for us. Timmins was the team leader in xGF yesterday. He's putting up points.. more points/60 than Carlson... Seriously.
Benoit-Timmins9:330.2170.044

Let me repeat... Timmins has more points/60 than Carlson.

Find a better partner for Rielly, should be the main goal here... having said that... we are still at shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.... we first need our elite players, to be elite players, every game, consistently, and that doesn't happen. No need to spend futures, when the key guys don't show up when needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Visnovsky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad