Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
People really need to give up with this ridiculous notion that guys are going to waive their NMC or NTC etc.

Stop living in Disneyland. It is such a ridiculous premise.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
People really need to give up with this ridiculous notion that guys are going to waive their NMC or NTC etc.

Stop living in Disneyland. It is such a ridiculous premise.
It's not, though; whether management has the balls for it is another question. But if this team is out early again, or dare I say, misses the playoffs, why shouldn't it be on the table? Are their feelings going to be hurt?

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
It's not, though; whether management has the balls for it is another question. But if this team is out early again, or dare I say, misses the playoffs, why shouldn't it be on the table? Are their feelings going to be hurt?
Tavares has one year left on his deal. He isn't going to waive just because you want him to waive.
You can ask, it doesn't mean they will agree.

If I was in Tavares position, I would literally tell you to f off.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

It very much is. There is nothing at all that we can do to force them to waive. We can do something very ill-advised, like pressure them, take away the C/A, take away games and minutes from them (at the detriment of the team on the ice I might add) and every star player league wide will take notice and not even consider ever signing with us again. Wouldn’t be shocking either to see players on the team request a trade as a result.

Last edited:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

personally don't see why it will even be on the leafs to get him to waive, if you want to move Tavares you discuss deals with teams and if you have a deal you would accept, it will then mostly be on the other team to convince him to be allowed to join the new team, same with Marner

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Ok, that's fair.

But you may be getting bought out.
And that to me has been the solution to this hard cap issue, if the league is steadfast on having a hard cap then a team should be permitted 1 buyout every off season that does not count against the cap including NMC

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It doesn't really save the Leafs anything to do so. Saves the Leafs 600k next season and then gets hit with a 300ish k cap penalty the season after
Oh, I know.

But in the event that you feel a change of leadership or direction is necessary, you could do that if he's as obstinate as that poster implies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I don't think the PR fallout would be worth it, not exactly a selling point to future ufas
The PR fallout of losing in the first round (again), which would be the trigger for this move, isn't going to be any better.

Well now you are making me laugh.
The entire thought process is ....well there is no thought process here.
How do you feel about asking Marner to waive his NMC?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't think the PR fallout would be worth it, not exactly a selling point to future ufas
We always say that but thats really not the case at all. Winning will attract UFAs. Did it stopped the Leafs from signing UFAs, RFAs and own players when Dubas essentially forced traded Kadri. I know they asked Kadri to waive and he didn't but he still ended up getting traded.

Reactions: Rare Jewel

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We always say that but thats really not the case at all. Winning will attract UFAs. Did it stopped the Leafs from signing UFAs, RFAs and own players when Dubas essentially forced traded Kadri. I know they asked Kadri to waive and he didn't but he still ended up getting traded.
While I generally agree that winning helps a great deal, Kadri did not have a full veto in his contract and that's why he was only able to nix the initial trade attempt to CGY and not the later trade to COL.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
How do you feel about asking Marner to waive his NMC?
Like I said, you can ask. But you have Zero Leverage.

You keep posting like the Leafs have leverage and that is why your entire premise is nonsense.
The more you post, the more ridiculous the entire notion looks because you yourself are illustrating why it is a pipe dream.

But what's the point? It doesn't even save enough to add a league minimum contract

He clearly has not throught it through because the Leafs would not even save enough to sign a minimum league contract to replaces Tavares. But he keeps going with his fantasy land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad