Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
You get Peeke in a trade who is at $2.75m until the end of 25/26, and you go for Pesce, say at $6m. $8.75m

Brodie walks, Gio retires, Timmins waived, Reaves waived. $8.25m

More salary comes off with who ever is trade for Peeke and if you miss on Pesce, still d options in DeMelo, Hakanpaa, Matt Roy, etc. All would be cheaper than Pesce.

Rielly-Pesce
McCabe-Liljegren
Benoit-Peeke
Lagesson-Niemala

Ideally trading Brodie for some assets but fully expecting him to be an own rental and walk as a UFA.

We need better.
This is ideal for me

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Tanev 4 - 4.5
Skjei 5.5-6
Demelo 4-4.5
Pesce 6-6.5
Roy 4-4.5

Would be ideal not sure how feasible though

Our D isn't the biggest, or the most physical group... there isn't a big AND physical guy in that list... some good D for sure, but

Skjei and Pesce have played a lot together, and it hasn't gone that well. Skjei does need a strong defensive partner, but Pesce doesn't seem up to the task to cover for him at this point... I'm not sure he's the guy you'd want to cover for Rielly either.... and with that, Skjei doesn't really make much sense either... who are you going to partner him with?

The way I see things, we need a new partner for Rielly, and a LD who is more of a two way guy.

I have a hard time coming up with a Rielly partner in free agency... I just don't know who the right person is there. I almost think that would require a trade of some sort... a Larsson for example..

I wonder about signing guys like Forsling, or Gustafsson as well, especially the former.

Put Liljegren on the 3rd pair then and let him develop and feast on weaker competition for another year.

Rielly-Pesce/DeMelo/UFA
McCabe-Peeke
Benoit-Liljegren

I'm a proponent of Peeke... but man, between McCabe and Peeke, ain't nobody moving the puck out of the zone....

A D of..

Rielly Larsson
Forsling Peeke
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit

Looks pretty nice though...

Scion

May 25, 2012
He can play the left and the right
Mo is the scorer, Brodie is that pairs defensive conscience

He's not worth 5×5 imo and I think he's getting well North of that on the open market

A lot of teams need defense, there's going to be competition, which drives up prices which is why I'd be talking to Brodie above a 3M×2 deal right now

That's an almost 3M dollar defender on the 3rd pair, we can't afford that
That pair needs to be making 2M combined
I've always liked Brodie, but his game has taken a step back and he isn't as quick as he was a year ago. There are some D that can overcome aging, but it's hard for smaller D like Brodie who rely so much on their skating.

I wouldn't rule out bringing him back, but it would have to be at a significant discount (2 x 1.5M).

Reactions: arso40 and Kiwi

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
You get Peeke in a trade who is at $2.75m until the end of 25/26, and you go for Pesce, say at $6m. $8.75m

Brodie walks, Gio retires, Timmins waived, Reaves waived. $8.25m

More salary comes off with who ever is trade for Peeke and if you miss on Pesce, still d options in DeMelo, Hakanpaa, Matt Roy, etc. All would be cheaper than Pesce.

Rielly-Pesce
McCabe-Liljegren
Benoit-Peeke
Lagesson-Niemala

Ideally trading Brodie for some assets but fully expecting him to be an own rental and walk as a UFA.

We need better.
I think both members of this pairing might work better with a complement capable of providing more offence. Not sure I love the idea of either playing on a second pairing though because I feel that d-man would then be in over his head.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Our D isn't the biggest, or the most physical group... there isn't a big AND physical guy in that list... some good D for sure, but

Skjei and Pesce have played a lot together, and it hasn't gone that well. Skjei does need a strong defensive partner, but Pesce doesn't seem up to the task to cover for him at this point... I'm not sure he's the guy you'd want to cover for Rielly either.... and with that, Skjei doesn't really make much sense either... who are you going to partner him with?

The way I see things, we need a new partner for Rielly, and a LD who is more of a two way guy.

I have a hard time coming up with a Rielly partner in free agency... I just don't know who the right person is there. I almost think that would require a trade of some sort... a Larsson for example..

I wonder about signing guys like Forsling, or Gustafsson as well, especially the former.

I'm a proponent of Peeke... but man, between McCabe and Peeke, ain't nobody moving the puck out of the zone....

A D of..

Rielly Larsson
Forsling Peeke
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit

Forsling is a stud, but he will likely be out of our price range.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto

A D of..

Rielly Larsson
Forsling Peeke
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit

For me it's

Reilly Demelo
Skjei Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

Or

Reilly Demelo
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit Peeke

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

A D of..

Rielly Larsson
Forsling Peeke
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit

I would target Roy or make a trade with chi for Murphy and also get peeke for the deadline

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I've always liked Brodie, but his game has taken a step back and he isn't as quick as he was a year ago. There are some D that can overcome aging, but it's hard for smaller D like Brodie who rely so much on their skating.

I wouldn't rule out bringing him back, but it would have to be at a significant discount (2 x 1.5M).

I'm looking at Brodie because I think he's a guy that may take a discount to stay, what with his wife and all

I've done a lot of stuff on cap friendly and to really upgrade the defense without it costing a fortune you need a player capable of giving you top 4 minutes cheap so you can go hard filling that hole next to Rielly

There may be other options like Fabbro who are cheaper but if it's a UFA we're going to need every dollar we can scrounge together imo

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
MM for Drai this summer and extend Drai at 12.8mil. Then wait for McD in a few years. Then the Leafs will have AM, Drai, McD and Willie as top 4 with JT making 4-5mil and Knies making 4-5mil as our top 6.
That would be epic if Tre can pull this off.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

A D of..

Rielly Larsson
Forsling Peeke
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit

I think Forsling's number is going to be something surprising like 5.5-6M for 6 years which I think we're out on.

Reactions: arso40

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
My targets for D in FA this year.

1) Matt Roy, 28, RH, 20:33/game, 34th in hits this year with 58, +43 the last 3 seasons. 5x5M
2) Jani Hakanpaa, 32, RH, 18:48/game, 11th in hits this year with 82, +22 the last 3 seasons. 2x3M
3)Sean Walker, 29, RH, 20:22/game, 57th in hits this year with 44, +1 the last 3 seasons. 4x3.5M

Rielly 7.5/Roy 5=12.5M total
McCabe 2/Liljegren 6x3.5=5.5M total
Benoit 2x1.5/Hakanpaa/Walker=5M total max, 4.5 preferred
roughly 22.5M for your D.

Given that we will have a young starter in net (Woll I presume), I believe it necessary to protect the front of the net with some experienced, hard defensemen, who will not break the bank. Adding 2 of the above gives us 4 defensemen who are in the top 60 in hits (including McCabe and Benoit). Roy, Hakanpaa, (or Walker), Benoit and McCabe are capable PK's, Rielly and Liljegren on PP. If you want to upgrade this year with a Tanev, ok, but treat it as a rental and do not overpay as he is 34. Demelo is another name I like, but at 31 and having a strong year in the Peg, I think he's pricing himself out of the market for our team.

With these types of players, I would also invite both Brodie and Gio the chance to continue their Cup aspirations by offering each the minimum for one year. I think Gio would accept, perhaps Brodie as well. A team could do worse than having them as their 7/8 D. It would also provide another year of seasoning for our Marlie D.

Reactions: LeafSteel

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
My targets for D in FA this year.

1) Matt Roy, 28, RH, 20:33/game, 34th in hits this year with 58, +43 the last 3 seasons. 5x5M
2) Jani Hakanpaa, 32, RH, 18:48/game, 11th in hits this year with 82, +22 the last 3 seasons. 2x3M
3)Sean Walker, 29, RH, 20:22/game, 57th in hits this year with 44, +1 the last 3 seasons. 4x3.5M

Rielly 7.5/Roy 5=12.5M total
McCabe 2/Liljegren 6x3.5=5.5M total
Benoit 2x1.5/Hakanpaa/Walker=5M total max, 4.5 preferred
roughly 22.5M for your D.

Given that we will have a young starter in net (Woll I presume), I believe it necessary to protect the front of the net with some experienced, hard defensemen, who will not break the bank. Adding 2 of the above gives us 4 defensemen who are in the top 60 in hits (including McCabe and Benoit). Roy, Hakanpaa, (or Walker), Benoit and McCabe are capable PK's, Rielly and Liljegren on PP. If you want to upgrade this year with a Tanev, ok, but treat it as a rental and do not overpay as he is 34. Demelo is another name I like, but at 31 and having a strong year in the Peg, I think he's pricing himself out of the market for our team.

With these types of players, I would also invite both Brodie and Gio the chance to continue their Cup aspirations by offering each the minimum for one year. I think Gio would accept, perhaps Brodie as well. A team could do worse than having them as their 7/8 D. It would also provide another year of seasoning for our Marlie D.
So if we can bring Brodie bacc on the cheap that’s fine I doubt lily accepts buying ufa years at that price Roy’s perfect don’t need the other guys on bottom pair

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I think Forsling's number is going to be something surprising like 5.5-6M for 6 years which I think we're out on.
Jeez thats a tough call.. guy is turning into hjalmarsson but with 10x better mobility.. likely to age well as well

I can understand anything over five makes you wince

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
So if we can bring Brodie bacc on the cheap that’s fine I doubt lily accepts buying ufa years at that price Roy’s perfect don’t need the other guys on bottom pair
You may be right, my thoughts being that while he's developing, we've not seen him produce offensively at a rate that brings higher value. Who would you see on the bottom pair?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Put Liljegren on the 3rd pair then and let him develop and feast on weaker competition for another year.

Rielly-Pesce/DeMelo/UFA
McCabe-Peeke
Benoit-Liljegren
McCabe may reach his best before date sooner than later so he might be a concern going forward…….

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

A D of..

Rielly Larsson
Forsling Peeke
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit

Doesn't Peeke seem like a real risk at that salary? You can excuse a lot because of the Columbus lineup around him but he could be a reason why they are struggling rather than just a victim of it. His ice time this year does not suggest he is someone they feel is reliable. If he has declined to a 3rd pairing guy the Leafs already have one of those.

I think I would only be interested in him if I was moving some bad salary out at the same time to balance the cap. And except for Sammy who is unmovable do they have the bad money to export?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Doesn't Peeke seem like a real risk at that salary? You can excuse a lot because of the Columbus lineup around him but he could be a reason why they are struggling rather than just a victim of it. His ice time this year does not suggest he is someone they feel is reliable. If he has declined to a 3rd pairing guy the Leafs already have one of those.

I think I would only be interested in him if I was moving some bad salary out at the same time to balance the cap. And except for Sammy who is unmovable do they have the bad money to export?
Being scratched by a team far down in the standings has to make any interested teams wonder where he'd fit into their lineup. Add in the remaining time and money left on his contract and I can understand why a trade wouldn't be so easy to accomplish.

Reactions: Duffman955

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Being scratched by a team far down in the standings has to make any interested teams wonder where he'd fit into their lineup. Add in the remaining time and money left on his contract and I can understand why a trade wouldn't be so easy to accomplish.

This is true but you could also make the argument that teams in the bottom of the standings are generally just not very good at their jobs and possibly more prone to making inaccurate evaluations of players compared to the elite organizations.

This could have just happened with Anaheim and Benoit.

Reactions: Buds17

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Jeez thats a tough call.. guy is turning into hjalmarsson but with 10x better mobility.. likely to age well as well

I can understand anything over five makes you wince

I'd actually have zero issue with it but our cap just got f***ed.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

His ice time? He's played up to 22:43 a game and six games over 18 minutes... taking a look at stats, and seeing averages will never tell you the full story.

In those six games, where he played over 18 minutes, they were 4-1-1.... I'm guessing that Columbus's record, is not because of him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Barring some type of miraculous playoff run this year, I just can't see how you keep Marner...

Ok... I can see how you can keep him, but it would be a poorly constructed team... so maybe I should have said, I can't see why you would keep Marner.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Barring some type of miraculous playoff run this year, I just can't see how you keep Marner...

Ok... I can see how you can keep him, but it would be a poorly constructed team... so maybe I should have said, I can't see why you would keep Marner.
Giving Nylander 11.5 just so you can trade Marner (the better player) would be so dumb.

They'll give Marner whatever he asks for and they'll make it work.

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad