Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If Brodie is willing to take around 3M he's worth keeping for a couple more years

He can play both sides, he's still a very good defensive player and he's at least a 2nd pair who can play beside Rielly if you get an injury

There's still money to go and get the top pair RD for Mo

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
If Brodie is willing to take around 3M he's worth keeping for a couple more years

He can play both sides, he's still a very good defensive player and he's at least a 2nd pair who can play beside Rielly if you get an injury

You sign a guy to play RHD with Rielly, you have Liljegren at 2RHD.

Are we going to pay $3m for Brodie to play 3RHD?

I think we are better off signing 2 of the names I’ve previously listed and leaving Brodie to leave as a UFA.

He’s not a long term piece and there are several RHD options that would be improvements and part of the long term picture for us.

Reactions: arso40

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In what capacity are you bringing Brodie back?

He clearly isn’t good enough at 1RHD. Enough bandaids there. Fill it appropriately, once and for all.

That leaves Brodie at 2 or 3 LHD.

McCabe is younger, cheaper, and simply a better player now at 2LHD.

Benoit is excellent value and exactly what we need at 3LHD.

We are not in a position to pay Brodie $3m. His play has already started to regress, and he won’t bring value for what he will want to be paid.

Much rather reallocate the $3m on someone like Peeke, and try and sign another UFA RHD this summer like DeMelo, Pesce, Montour, Matt Roy, Dumba, Matt Walker, Hakanpaa etc.

Hell, Bortuzzo is a UFA. Imagine the shitahow a pairing of Benoit-Bortuzzo would be??? :)

I think Brodie is fine
In what capacity are you bringing Brodie back?

He clearly isn’t good enough at 1RHD. Enough bandaids there. Fill it appropriately, once and for all.

That leaves Brodie at 2 or 3 LHD.

McCabe is younger, cheaper, and simply a better player now at 2LHD.

Benoit is excellent value and exactly what we need at 3LHD.

We are not in a position to pay Brodie $3m. His play has already started to regress, and he won’t bring value for what he will want to be paid.

Much rather reallocate the $3m on someone like Peeke, and try and sign another UFA RHD this summer like DeMelo, Pesce, Montour, Matt Roy, Dumba, Matt Walker, Hakanpaa etc.

Hell, Bortuzzo is a UFA. Imagine the shitahow a pairing of Benoit-Bortuzzo would be??? :)

It comes down to how good of a free agent they land. I can potentially see the team looking to run things by committee if they miss out on a bigger fish. Sign Brodie for 3 + another guy for 2-3mil ect.

But all comes down to how free agency looks.

Reactions: Rocker13 and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I think we are better off signing 2 of the names I’ve previously listed and leaving Brodie to leave as a UFA.

He’s not a long term piece and there are several RHD options that would be improvements and part of the long term picture for us.

Brodie is still a very good defensive #3D you can play anywhere in the lineup, he also plays both sides and PK's

You keep him you only need one other guy, I'd rather put more money into 1 guy who's a genuine top pair than spread my money over two guys making 5M that aren't quite as good

I'm also presuming we'd have Liljegren, Mo and the new guy signed to term so I'm looking for shorter deals to give me more flexibility moving forward

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Brodie is still a very good defensive #3D you can play anywhere in the lineup, he also plays both sides and PK's

You keep him you only need one other guy, I'd rather put more money into 1 guy who's a genuine top pair than spread my money over two guys making 5M that aren't quite as good

I'm also presuming we'd have Liljegren, Mo and the new guy signed to term so I'm looking for shorter deals to give me more flexibility moving forward
Brodie on a good night is a 3 maybe and I haven’t really seen him having good nights much we played two bottom feeders so temper results on that game and fiala jus walked him in recent memory he got walked on the goal in playoffs last year too so no thanks less the number is extremely team friendly

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto

Want no part of Brodie next year

Reilly ******
******Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Brodie’s been nothing but a liability this season, hard pass……..

Scion

May 25, 2012
I think we need a clean upgrade on Brodie, which can be done by combining the money he currently commands with some % of Klingberg's money.

My thinking is if you can upgrade Brodie into an $8 million defenseman (for example) everybody slots more comfortably below that.

But yeah, the money for Nylander can be saved in a few different places. And is for one year. If Tavares gets downgraded to under $6 million in 2025, he and Nylander would have basically swapped contracts.
I agree, but I think that 8M is better spent on two defenceman than one. Something like Pesce at 5M and Tanev/Dillon at 3M, give or take a million.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Want no part of Brodie next year

Reilly ******
******Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

How much do you think 2 UFA top 4 defenseman are actually going to cost?
I don't think we can afford that unless one guy takes a team friendly deal, that's Brodie
Brodie’s been nothing but a liability this season, hard pass……..
He's still playing top pair with a very aggressive partner and our best PKer
I agree, but I think that 8M is better spent on two defenceman than one. Something like Pesce at 5M and Tanev/Dillon at 3M, give or take a million.
The caps jumping 4M, those numbers look light to me and Brodie at 3M is pretty team friendly but two guys who are never even played for us going to do us that kind of favor?
I have my doubts on that one

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't think we can afford that unless one guy takes a team friendly deal, that's Brodie

The caps jumping 4M, those numbers look light to me and Brodie at 3M is pretty team friendly but two guys who are never even played for us going to do us that kind of favor?

Top 4 D that have no offence should get between 4-5 million IMO

Tanev is 34 so I would expect less

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto

Tanev 4 - 4.5
Skjei 5.5-6
Demelo 4-4.5
Pesce 6-6.5
Roy 4-4.5

Would be ideal not sure how feasible though

Last edited:

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016

I don't want Brodie anywhere near this team once the season is over. He's completely fell apart the last 2 years. He was once regarded our best defensive defenseman, and now he's probably our 4th or 5th. We need to move on and actually find a true partner for Rielly, either Tanev or Pesce should be our target at years end.

Rielly-Tanev/Pesce
free agent signing-Liljegren
Benoit- McCabe

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Top 4 D that have no offence should get between 4-5 million IMO

Tanev is 34 so I would expect less
I'd be surprised if Tanev couldn't get 4-5M and there's no way a guy like Pesce isn't getting North of that, probably well North
Tanev 4 - 4.5
Skjei 5.5-6
Demelo 4-4.5
Pesce 6-6.5
Roy 4-4.5

I'm not sure, that cap rise means more money washing around for teams to throw at these types of guys

I think the better guys will have strong markets but maybe one or two of them get caught out and end up having to take something below market?

I don't want Brodie anywhere near this team once the season is over. He's completely fell apart the last 2 years. He was once regarded our best defensive defenseman, and now he's probably our 4th or 5th. We need to move on and actually find a true partner for Rielly, either Tanev or Pesce should be our target at years end.

Rielly-Tanev/Pesce
Benoit- McCabe

Hate to break it to you but he's still our best defensive defenseman, according to Keefe anyway

Reactions: Rude Dog

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I'd be surprised if Tanev couldn't get 4-5M and there's no way a guy like Pesce isn't getting North of that, probably well North

I'm not sure, that cap rise means more money washing around for teams to throw at these types of guys

I think the better guys will have strong markets but maybe one or two of them get caught out and end up having to take something below market?

Hate to break it to you but he's still our best defensive defenseman, according to Keefe anyway
He's no where near our best defensive defenseman, Keefe can say all he wants but McCabe, Benoit, Liljegren and even Rielly have performed better defensively then Brodie, hence why you've seen his minutes diminish as the season has gone on. Hate to break it to you

Scion

May 25, 2012

Defensive D aren't typically the players who benefit the most from a cap jump. But I'll bite, what do you think Pesce makes on his next deal?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He's no where near our best defensive defenseman, Keefe can say all he wants but McCabe, Benoit, Liljegren and even Rielly have performed better defensively then Brodie, hence why you've seen his minutes diminish as the season has gone on. Hate to break it to you
Noting... he's been third in TOI the last three games, and the Number one guy for the PK in minutes played, facing the toughest defensive minutes. He started in the Dzone the most of any D, in 2 of the three games, and was second in the other. He's also +3 over that time.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Tanev 4 - 4.5
Skjei 5.5-6
Demelo 4-4.5
Pesce 6-6.5
Roy 4-4.5

I could be wrong, but I have a hard time seeing a team allocating 6M on Brett Pesce. If that is the price he is not an interesting addition.

Reactions: Buds17

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Rielly-Tanev/Pesce
Benoit- McCabe
It's ironic that you don't want Brodie on this team, but you do want Pesce.... given Pesce isn't having a very good season at all, and might be on the decline. Pesce just can't keep up with the pace of Carolina's game at all.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think @Fogelhund did a pretty solid job on that one
Defensive D aren't typically the players who benefit the most from a cap jump. But I'll bite, what do you think Pesce makes on his next deal?
Going to be 30ish with name recognition for his defensive ability

At least 6 but I'd say somewhere between 6-7 if I was betting
It would be a massive mistake but that's what I think happens

Scion

May 25, 2012

Both sides of what? I like Brodie, but he is a black hole offensively.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I think @Fogelhund did a pretty solid job on that one

Going to be 30ish with name recognition for his defensive ability

At least 6 but I'd say somewhere between 6-7 if I was betting
It would be a massive mistake but that's what I think happens
Agree to disagree, I think he's a 5x5 guy. If 6M is his market the Leafs can easily pivot to the next guy on the list, as of now there are a dearth of good UFA D available.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
You get Peeke in a trade who is at $2.75m until the end of 25/26, and you go for Pesce, say at $6m. $8.75m

Brodie walks, Gio retires, Timmins waived, Reaves waived. $8.25m

More salary comes off with who ever is trade for Peeke and if you miss on Pesce, still d options in DeMelo, Hakanpaa, Matt Roy, etc. All would be cheaper than Pesce.

Rielly-Pesce
McCabe-Liljegren
Benoit-Peeke
Lagesson-Niemala

Ideally trading Brodie for some assets but fully expecting him to be an own rental and walk as a UFA.

We need better.

Reactions: MarMarSab3

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Both sides of what? I like Brodie, but he is a black hole offensively.
He can play the left and the right
Mo is the scorer, Brodie is that pairs defensive conscience
Agree to disagree, I think he's a 5x5 guy. If 6M is his market the Leafs can easily pivot to the next guy on the list, as of now there are a dearth of good UFA D available.
He's not worth 5×5 imo and I think he's getting well North of that on the open market

A lot of teams need defense, there's going to be competition, which drives up prices which is why I'd be talking to Brodie above a 3M×2 deal right now

You get Peeke in a trade who is at $2.75m until the end of 25/26, and you go for Pesce, say at $6m. $8.75m

Brodie walks, Gio retires, Timmins waived, Reaves waived. $8.25m

More salary comes off with who ever is trade for Peeke and if you miss on Pesce, still d options in DeMelo, Hakanpaa, Matt Roy, etc. All would be cheaper than Pesce.

Rielly-Pesce
McCabe-Liljegren
Benoit-Peeke
Lagesson-Niemala

Ideally trading Brodie for some assets but fully expecting him to be an own rental and walk as a UFA.

We need better.
That's an almost 3M dollar defender on the 3rd pair, we can't afford that
That pair needs to be making 2M combined

Reactions: arso40 and Scion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad