Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Don't think Cooper is getting fired anytime soon. Manning the helm of a mini dynasty buys you a lot of goodwill. Just look at Sullivan in Pittsburgh

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
It's pretty obvious that Treliving is gonna be targeting a top 4 physical D-man and a 3rd line Physical Center/winger that compliments Domi well to replace Roberston.

I dont know if Robertson is getting traded or not but regardless, i don't see him making the playoff roster

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Don't get attached to it, man. Tre gonna 1,000% trade that first...
Depends for what. Trading a first for another Foligno type talent would be idiotic. I think given the state of the team and the fact we already traded our first next year, that Tre will be very hesitant to just throw it away.

Reactions: Scion and horner

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Frank Vatrano's retained could be a target for Treliving.

Physical bottom 6 player with goal scoring ability. Has 18 goals so far

Reactions: TMLAM34

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
To even consider giving him 4ish mil he'd need to give up at least 6 years of term if not 8.
8 years at 5$ per it doesn’t look amazing now but it most definitely will what is he 23 24

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Keep the first unless a true upgrade with term is available. Move Robertson and bring up Steeves. Sign Tanev and/or Pesce in the offseason. Maybe McLeod if he comes cheaper than Domi.

What in the hell is Steeves going to do?

What is up with this joint? If you want to trade Robertson I can understand it but now we're removing a 22 year old scoring at half a point per game for ******* Steeves who's done Jack **** with every opportunity he's been given

At the start of the season we couldn't get scoring from anybody not in the top 6 and people were losing there minds now we get our 3rd line going and everybody wants a 3rd line that does bugger all again

It's driving me nuts 🤪

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
What in the hell is Steeves going to do?

What is up with this joint? If you want to trade Robertson I can understand it but now we're removing a 22 year old scoring at half a point per game for ******* Steeves who's done Jack **** with every opportunity he's been given

At the start of the season we couldn't get scoring from anybody not in the top 6 and people were losing there minds now we get our 3rd line going and everybody wants a 3rd line that does bugger all again

It's driving me nuts 🤪
"With every opportunity he's been given"? He's played 6 f***ing games. lol

Robertson had 2 points in his first 16 games as a Leaf.

You must be going nuts because you seem to think Robertson is a bottom-sixer.
You also seem to think the comparison is between Robertson and Steeves, and not Robertson vs the upgrade on D or Wing he's presumably traded for knowing we can plug Steeves in there.
I get it, Steeves isn't a sexy prospect with draft pedigree. Neither was Trevor Moore or Mason Marchment, and we gave those guys away for practically nothing cause we didn't value them.

Reactions: Scion and arso40

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder if there would be a way in making a trade with Arizona to give them Samsonov as a stop gap if they are still potentially trading Vejmelka as rumoured a few weeks ago. They are fighting for a wild card spot and they could make it, so I'm not sure if they would for obvious reasons.

The return would obviously be nothing probably unless other players/picks are involved but I could see them taking a shot and churning assets.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

You also seem to think the comparison is between Robertson and Steeves, and not Robertson vs the upgrade on D or Wing he's presumably traded for knowing we can plug Steeves in there.
I get it, Steeves isn't a sexy prospect with draft pedigree. Neither was Trevor Moore or Mason Marchment, and we gave those guys away for practically nothing cause we didn't value them.
Steeves would have to replace another forward if Robertson were to be dealt for an upgraded winger. Whatever one might think of trading Marchment for Malkin, Trevor Moore was at least traded for Jack Campbell. While I don't mind retaining Steeves in the sense that he still has RFA years left, I'm just not sure who he bumps from the lineup right now in order to play? I also might be more worried about Robertson being the Moore or Marchment from your example and be unsure about the upgrade on D or wing that he could fetch at the moment.

Reactions: LeafSteel and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Robertson is scoring at about half a point per game playing 10 minutes a night
He's 2 years younger, scores better at the AHL level and is scoring at the next level

One guy is performing, it's the guy you want to trade and you don't trade the better younger player to get a look at the other guy

He waits his turn and if we get injuries he gets his opportunity

Also it's pretty rich I'm getting Moore and Marchment thrown at me when Robertson, the player who is doing something with his very limits opportunities Is a better example of both those players who showed ability but were given up on to early and traded for a fraction of what they would be soon after

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Robertson is scoring at about half a point per game playing 10 minutes a night
He's 2 years younger, scores better at the AHL level and is scoring at the next level

One guy is performing, it's the guy you want to trade and you don't trade the better younger player to get a look at the other guy

He waits his turn and if we get injuries he gets his opportunity

Also it's pretty rich I'm getting Moore and Marchment thrown at me when Robertson, the player who is doing something with his very limits opportunities Is a better example of both those players who showed ability but were given up on to early and traded for a fraction of what they would be soon after
What's rich is you can't see how stupid your point was. You talked about "all the opportunities" Steeves had when he literally has only played 6 games over two seasons averaging less than 8 minutes a game. Then you try to compare it to Robertson now (vs his first 16 games), when he's actually gotten extended time (over 10 minutes a game in 24 games) to prove himself in the NHL. lol

My comment was never even about Steeves and Robertson per se, it could have been Holmberg or Bellows or whoever. I'm not even saying Steeves is a better player, which I don't think he is. I'm saying Robertson has value in trade that those other guys don't; that bottom sixer types are easier to acquire; and in fact, we have a bunch of them. Robertson's true value is in a top 6 role and I don't see him getting that with us.

It's hilarious how your brain works inverting the point I'm trying to make like logical dyslexia. I'm not saying to trade Robertson so Steeves can have a shot. I'm saying if there's a player out there we want and they want Robertson in exchange, that I'd be comfortable with it because we have replacements. Heck, Cowan could be that replacement within a year or two.

Then again you also think Robertson is the situational comparable to Moore and Marchment, so what should I expect.
They're not even remotely the same nor are their situations. They were free wallets who turned into something, and Robertson was our top prospect who has value for us in a trade for upgrades. Robertson is the kind of player you trade for a good NHL'r, Moore and Marchment are guys you ship off for fringe talent. The fact that Campbell put up one and half good years before turning back into a pumpkin doesn't really change the fact that he was a fringe, post-hype prospect (like Samsonov) when we acquired him.

Steeves (who just turned 24) is currently at a 1.04 ppg on a terrible team (projected 80 team points)
Moore was averaging 0.85 ppg as a 23 year old on a 91 point team when we traded him.
Marchment was 23 averaging 0.75 ppg.

Steeves has been better at the same stage as these other two free wallet acquisitions we made, but since he doesn't have a shiny draft pedigree you seem to think he sucks after an incredible sample size of 6 total NHL games!!!!

Good grief.

Reactions: Scion

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I also might be more worried about Robertson being the Moore or Marchment from your example and be unsure about the upgrade on D or wing that he could fetch at the moment.
You worry that Robertson will be traded for a former goalie prospect who we acquired at low value? Sure, I'd be worried too if we traded Robertson for a reclamation project. If we trade him for an established top 4 defenseman on the other hand that's just the cost of doing business.

Reactions: arso40

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What's rich is you can't see how stupid your point was. You talked about "all the opportunities" Steeves had when he literally has only played 6 games over two seasons averaging less than 8 minutes a game. Then you try to compare it to Robertson now (vs his first 16 games), when he's actually gotten extended time (over 10 minutes a game in 24 games) to prove himself in the NHL. lol

My comment was never even about Steeves and Robertson per se, it could have been Holmberg or Bellows or whoever. I'm not even saying Steeves is a better player, which I don't think he is. I'm saying Robertson has value in trade that those other guys don't; that bottom sixer types are easier to acquire; and in fact, we have a bunch of them. Robertson's true value is in a top 6 role and I don't see him getting that with us.

It's hilarious how your brain works inverting the point I'm trying to make like logical dyslexia. I'm not saying to trade Robertson so Steeves can have a shot. I'm saying if there's a player out there we want and they want Robertson in exchange, that I'd be comfortable with it because we have replacements. Heck, Cowan could be that replacement within a year or two.

Then again you also think Robertson is the situational comparable to Moore and Marchment, so what should I expect.
They're not even remotely the same nor are their situations. They were free wallets who turned into something, and Robertson was our top prospect who has value for us in a trade for upgrades. Robertson is the kind of player you trade for a good NHL'r, Moore and Marchment are guys you ship off for fringe talent. The fact that Campbell put up one and half good years before turning back into a pumpkin doesn't really change the fact that he was a fringe, post-hype prospect (like Samsonov) when we acquired him.

Steeves (who just turned 24) is currently at a 1.04 ppg on a terrible team (projected 80 team points)
Moore was averaging 0.85 ppg as a 23 year old on a 91 point team when we traded him.
Marchment was 23 averaging 0.75 ppg.

Steeves has been better at the same stage as these other two free wallet acquisitions we made, but since he doesn't have a shiny draft pedigree you seem to think he sucks after an incredible sample size of 6 total NHL games!!!!

Good grief.

For a start it's complete stupidity to talk about Robertson's "trade value"
He's a throw in, he's just starting to show what he's capable of and your the genuis wants to trade him now before he has any real value just like we did with Moore and Marchment
Smart stuff right there

Cowan? a kid in junior who hasn't even played pro? No pressure young fella

Who ******* cares? What you want to do is exactly the same thing we did with the other two before we knew what they were
Moore is a top 6 winger who's worth a lot more than a fringe starting goaltender and face puncher and Marchment was traded for Jack **** which is about what Robertson's going to be worth currently

I'm not an idiot, I want to see Steeves play before he has an opportunity somewhere else because I believe in maximizing value unlike your dopey ass wanting to trade Robertson right now

Reactions: arso40

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
You worry that Robertson will be traded for a former goalie prospect who we acquired at low value? Sure, I'd be worried too if we traded Robertson for a reclamation project. If we trade him for an established top 4 defenseman on the other hand that's just the cost of doing business.
I actually valued Trevor Moore a fair bit but understood that bolstering the situation in net was much more of a team need at the time. I also don't know if Robertson's value in trade is enough to return an established top four blueliner.

Reactions: Kiwi and arso40

Scion

May 25, 2012

I like the way you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad