Salary Cap: Trade Thread # LXVI: Well..... Were waiting!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
The only way Garland is similar to the other wingers is that he's undersized and he's fast. He is way more feisty than any forward on this team and is a better goal scorer than every winger outside of Guentzel and Rust.
I haven't seen Garland's advanced stats lately but I'm pretty sure most of his production comes 5v5. Whereas Boeser produces a lot on the PP. My only concern would be if Zucker and Garland are too similar of a player to put Geno with. That said, I want Garland of the choices based on price.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't know much about Garland beyond "smaller player, pleasant surprise since being drafted". :laugh: I don't know if he's got the offensive pop we should be looking for just based on casual scouting reports/stat-scanning. But if guys like JT Miller, Boeser and Forsberg are out of our price range--and I think they probably are despite us being bored enough to talk endlessly about them--maybe Garland is a guy who falls between the cracks.

I don't know. We'll see what happens. Something should come to fruition here in the next few days if it's gonna happen at all. Word is GMs all around the league are real gun-shy about making moves. With that in mind, and the way our FO operates, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up not doing anything.
Didn't they say this is our last shot? you can't sit around and do nothing with your final shot.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I haven't seen Garland's advanced stats lately but I'm pretty sure most of his production comes 5v5. Whereas Boeser produces a lot on the PP. My only concern would be if Zucker and Garland are too similar of a player to put Geno with. That said, I want Garland of the choices based on price.

His advanced stats are very good. This was actually just tweeted out a week ago:

He's doing really well in Vancouver this year, he's just not performing up to the 9th overall pick price they paid for him.

Reactions: Rave7215

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The only way Garland is similar to the other wingers is that he's undersized and he's fast. He is way more feisty than any forward on this team and is a better goal scorer than every winger outside of Guentzel and Rust.

Which isn't really all that much to say, so he'll be pretty much status quo. It's not light years above the rest.

Feisty? Whatev. I don't think the team is missing feisty players. They need net guys/goal scorers.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Which isn't really all that much to say, so he'll be pretty much status quo. It's not light years above the rest.

Feisty? Whatev. I don't think the team is missing feisty players. They need net guys/goal scorers.

His finishing talent is absolutely great. He is a legitimate goal scorer.

Reactions: Trade

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Didn't they say this is our last shot? you can't sit around and do nothing with your final shot.
They (the FO) didn't say that. People have theorized based on the state of the team, age of the core, contract situations, etc. that this is realistically the final shot at a deep playoff run.

But you can't just force moves. The other team has to want what you're willing to give up, etc. /shrug

We'll see what happens.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Besides size, what other negatives does he have?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

This may just be referencing Friedman's 32 thoughts, but this really isn't what Friedman said there so I'm not sure.

Also Dhaliwal allegedly said earlier today that they're trying to sign Boeser long term.

That's basic due diligence for Hextall. Not at all unreasonable if the asking prices are to be believed. Value changes dramatically if Boeser wants $8mil x 7yrs. My guess is, at the contract Hextall would want to give either, especially Boeser, Vancouver may as well try to sign them for that amount. "Hey, look Brock, Pittsburgh is only going to offer you $6mil x 4-5 years, so if you're willing to do that, would you take the same to stay?"

This then may be a showdown of "well who wants who more?" Should be interesting to see how it unfolds.
How is Garland’s game on the wall, and can he use his absurdly small size to win battles? Because if that’s not an issue I think he’s a better player than Boeser at ES on balance, and his contract is more than reasonable.
I would say Garland is not unlike 2016 Sheary except he stays on his feet more. Sheary in 2016 was very crafty and elusive and slippery in corners which is what helped him win battles. I would say the same for Garland but Garland stays on his feet better. He could be everything we hoped Sheary was going to be. I think that's the best comparison trying to bring it closer to home.

Reactions: Trade

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Garland plays with a massive chip on his shoulder which leads him to play balls to the wall every shift. He also has Massachusetts roots, so it wouldn’t surprise me if Sully was already in love.

Like many have said, It’s worrying bringing in a forward who lacks size, but we’ve seen our fair share of Bjugstad’s and Tangradi’s to know size isn’t everything.

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010

His advanced stats are very good. This was actually just tweeted out a week ago:

He's doing really well in Vancouver this year, he's just not performing up to the 9th overall pick price they paid for him.

O wow, I knew he was having a good year but damn. Yea, I want him even more now. Run Zucker with Carter if you want to switch up styles and go three lines deep. Make it so Hexy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
One last thought on Garland, the only reason I think he would be traded right now is that he wasn't a JR/Boudreau guy. He was a guy that Benning traded a top-10 pick for and then gave him a fairly large contract. He started out the year really well (18 points in 25 games), but the Canucks as a whole sucked and I think he got scapegoated for that. He was their big acquisition in the off-season and the team went 8-15-2 in his first 25 games, so I think that's why he started getting some ire from the fans.

Now with the new management, they have a desire to make changes and Garland has a fairly large contract that the new coach/management inherited. Garland has been okay since Boudreau and JR took over (7 goals and 14 points in 30 games, all at ES), but he's more of a 45-50 point 2nd liner when Benning paid 60-65 point 1st liner prices for him.

Reactions: Rave7215

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
One last thought on Garland, the only reason I think he would be traded right now is that he wasn't a JR/Boudreau guy. He was a guy that Benning traded a top-10 pick for and then gave him a fairly large contract. He started out the year really well (18 points in 25 games), but the Canucks as a whole sucked and I think he got scapegoated for that. He was their big acquisition in the off-season and the team went 8-15-2 in his first 25 games, so I think that's why he started getting some ire from the fans.

Now with the new management, they have a desire to make changes and Garland has a fairly large contract that the new coach/management inherited. Garland has been okay since Boudreau and JR took over (7 goals and 14 points in 30 games, all at ES), but he's more of a 45-50 point 2nd liner when Benning paid 60-65 point 1st liner prices for him.

So why do we want that?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Except that doesn't say that. Neither has he ever actually done it. I'm gonna emphasize the word "MORE."

What Garland max's out at Boeser will score more.
It's a tough call between Garland and Boeser.
Boeser makes more sense to me though when it comes to playing with Malkin. He would be the designated shooter.
Malkin's slapshot is great but the wrist shot I find is pretty weak these days. If he's not close range I don't like his chances.
Garland is a playmaker and someone has to finish the play.
Plus, even if the chemistry is not the greatest, Boeser can threaten from the perimeter without the need to make really well designed, cohesive plays. That would be a nice weapon.

On top of all that, Boeser would be a much better fit on PP1 when Rust walks next year. Don't have the cap to keep both.
We haven't had a shooting threat from the left side since Phil, and even he wanted to be more of a passer here.
Rust certainly doesn't like one-timing the puck.

Edit: Actually scratch that. ERod was teeing off on the left side. We saw how effective that was.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So why do we want that?

Because he is actually what the Penguins hope Kapanen would be, while being on a fair contract.

Under normal circumstances, I think Kapanen and Garland are fairly close in terms of overall ability. I think Garland is a bit better, but it's not a massive difference. The justification for doing that swap is that Kapanen sucks ass right now and this year is perhaps the Penguins last chance to win, so they can't just be patient with Kapanen and see if he rebounds.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Because he is actually what the Penguins hope Kapanen would be, while being on a fair contract.

Under normal circumstances, I think Kapanen and Garland are fairly close in terms of overall ability. I think Garland is a bit better, but it's not a massive difference. The justification for doing that swap is that Kapanen sucks ass right now and this year is perhaps the Penguins last chance to win, so they can't just be patient with Kapanen and see if he rebounds.

I think the Penguins hoped Kapanen would be a skilled player with a bigger body in their top six who was defensively responsible.

I don’t see how Garland is close to that.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's a tough call between Garland and Boeser.
Boeser makes more sense to me though when it comes to playing with Malkin. He would be the designated shooter.
Malkin's slapshot is great but the wrist shot I find is pretty weak these days. If he's not close range I don't like his chances.
Garland is a playmaker and someone has to finish the play.
Plus, even if the chemistry is not the greatest, Boeser can threaten from the perimeter without the need to make really well designed, cohesive plays. That would be a nice weapon.

On top of all that, Boeser would be a much better fit on PP1 when Rust walks next year. Don't have the cap to keep both.
We haven't had a shooting threat from the left side since Phil, and even he wanted to be more of a passer here.
Rust certainly doesn't like one-timing the puck.

Ultimately, you'd want both, but there's a serious need here and having that shot on both sides of a PP is a wrinkle teams don't have to worry about since Kessel left for sure. They can't cheat anymore. They simply can't afford to get both, and Garland being that passer first mentality is not gonna fly.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad