Salary Cap: Trade Thread # LXVI: Well..... Were waiting!?!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It doesn't matter "who" did it, it's the fact what they have invested. Which is some garbage players and a 2nd and 7th rounder on top of the 9OA.

But again, Rutherford wasn't the one who invested that. Rutherford also invested a 1st rounder and Hallander in Kapanen, but that doesn't mean that Hextall is going to follow that sunk cost with Kapanen's value now. JR isn't going to value Garland at a #9 overall pick just because Benning paid that, just like Hextall won't value Kapanen at a #15 overall pick just because JR paid that.

Garland is a guy that Benning paid a pretty penny for and gave a big contract, then Benning got fired. JR wants to shake things up with the Canucks and Garland is one of the only guys with a long term deal that actually has value.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I agree on Letang. He can be bone headed at times and pretty brutal but he's a REALLY important part of this team. Give him the 5 years he wants, a few years it wont matter when Crosby/Malkin retire anyway and Letang is part of the rebuild.
In the end I don't think it matters, but the team can't even keep pretending to contend if Letang leaves. That's the thing.

I can see that scenario, but there is teams that need to hit the cap floor. You pay to get rid of cap space. Arizona Zucker and a 4th for a 7th kind of deal.

Not really big on retention. That was a JR deal, and Bjugstad was coming off that injury plagued season.
Zucker's coming off of multiple injury plagued and underwhelming seasons. :laugh: I don't think he's like JJ-tier bad, but I do think we'll have to work at getting rid of him if the FO ever wants to.

Why wouldn’t we be looking for a winger even if Rust stuck around? Rust can still only fill one hole in our top-6. We need another top-6er no matter how you slice it. Kapanen is not it.

Malkin doesn’t have any wingers, and with Sully constantly suckling upon his GCR-engraved pacifier that isn’t changing without a trade.
I agree, but there are cap issues. We can't realistically keep Rust around at the obscene deal he's gonna want while also keeping Letang and Geno, while also getting another wing. /shrug

Reactions: Trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Because Rutherford.

I probably wouldn't in their shoes, but I can see Rutherford doing it to free up some cap for fixing that defence.

I mean, end of the day, the rumours about us the Nucks have been going on pretty loud for a while, right? Maybe it's all journos going 2+2=5, but if they're not, it's because Rutherford wants to free up some cap and get some players in he likes. And he'll probably do so in a way that seems quite gung-ho.

I also imagine POJ would be included in that deal, both because he's a valuable trade asset that the Penguins don't need and he's an asset that fills a decently big hole for the Canucks.

JR claimed that POJ can play RD when he acquired Matheson, so if he still believes that, I don't see why he'd scoff at adding POJ now.

Reactions: Victor Z and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But getting Kapanen doesn’t save them money. They can easily move Garland for picks if they want to.

I don’t see any reason they want Kapanen for Garland. Kapanen + for Boeser makes sense because it legitimately saves cap.

Kapanen shouldn't be sniffing 4.9m on his next contract after this season.

Also yeah they could move Garland for picks, but the pick return for cap clearing is still pretty bad, UFA prices are getting high, and if Rutherford wants Kapanen as much as he did a couple of years back...

It doesn't matter "who" did it, it's the fact what they have invested. Which is some garbage players and a 2nd and 7th rounder on top of the 9OA.

But Rutherford doesn't have anything invested in it. It doesn't matter to him what they paid for Garland.

I also imagine POJ would be included in that deal, both because he's a valuable trade asset that the Penguins don't need and he's an asset that fills a decently big hole for the Canucks.

JR claimed that POJ can play RD when he acquired Matheson, so if he still believes that, I don't see why he'd scoff at adding POJ now.

Hasn't it been said that the Canucks have been looking for a LD back anyway? I don't think they've sniffing around Pettersson because they're RD only.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hasn't it been said that the Canucks have been looking for a LD back anyway? I don't think they've sniffing around Pettersson because they're RD only.

You think they wouldn't be looking at LD because they have Hughes and OEL making an absolute shitload of money, but yeah, it can't be ruled out.

Canucks fans seem to not want any LD because of those two plus Rathbone, who's an undersized 22 year old defenseman putting up big numbers in the AHL this year. But I'd also point out that Rathbone's skillset seems super redundant with Hughes and OEL ahead of him, while POJ actually brings some unique traits (mainly being a defensive guy).

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kapanen for Garland just seems like a “because Rutherford” without any other explanation.

It wouldn't be Kapanen for Garland straight up, I'm throwing out Kapanen, POJ and potentially more futures for Garland. We've already given you a bunch of reasons why it could make sense.

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
Kapanen for Garland just seems like a “because Rutherford” without any other explanation.

The Canucks board meltdown when one of these hypothetical trades go through is gonna be epic. JR gonna JR.

It will be nice to be on the other side of one of those "JRs got his man, he really likes ______" deals

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That makes no sense for what this team has said they want to do.

Garland is a bad fit here and doesn’t make sense to acquire.

Hextall is on record saying he wants to make a hockey trade for a top-6 scoring winger. Garland is a top-6 scoring winger and POJ and Kapanen for Garland seems like a pretty clear hockey trade to me.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That makes no sense for what this team has said they want to do.

Garland is a bad fit here and doesn’t make sense to acquire.

This bit really puzzles me. Feisty speedy wingers who create in high danger areas has been this team's catnip since Sully took over. Just because the last one who came here didn't work out doesn't change that. And that seems to be his game. Why wouldn't he fit?

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I don’t think Garland is comparable to Zucker, they play totally different styles and Garland is not reliant on the PP to score. Not saying there are zero concerns there, but it could be a really good fit. It’s impossible to say for sure that he is a bad fit.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kapanen shouldn't be sniffing 4.9m on his next contract after this season.

Also yeah they could move Garland for picks, but the pick return for cap clearing is still pretty bad, UFA prices are getting high, and if Rutherford wants Kapanen as much as he did a couple of years back...

But Rutherford doesn't have anything invested in it. It doesn't matter to him what they paid for Garland.

They'd have 19.0+ invested in LD.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The only way Garland doesn't check all of the boxes for this team is that this team wants to add players who play "long pants hockey". But at the same time, Garland does play a feisty style, he's just small as hell.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Zucker's deficiencies with offensive hockey sense do not necessarily mean that a similar profile player would have those same problems.

Let's get Garland

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just want to see the team add a guy with a lethal shot. I don't care if he's smaller, or he's defensively not up to par, or whatever other potential cons are attached to the guy. This team needs guys who can finish. It's got speed and "swiss army knife" in droves. Specialized players should be the target, imo. (Not saying that's the case with Garland, just in general)

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
All this smoke around Vancouver and odds are that Hextall quietly has something else going that no one is expecting.

So far, not one Hextall acquisition with the Pens has been leaked or rumored before getting to the NHL Central Office.

Carter trade? Complete surprise. McCann to Toronto? Plenty of speculation about McCann, but not to Toronto.

McGinn signing? No rumors at all. Same with Heinen.

Just food for thought.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Btw guys I didn't see this til now, but there's a "toggle width" button on the bottom left of the page, if you want it formatted like old school HF.
No need to adjust zoom settings on your browser.

I'd get the most out of it because they'll be adding adds at some point and I'd imagine that would go away. Shifted to center permanently and adds on both sides or shifted left with adds and such on the top and right side again..

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
All this smoke around Vancouver and odds are that Hextall quietly has something else going that no one is expecting.

So far, not one Hextall acquisition with the Pens has been leaked or rumored before getting to the NHL Central Office.

Carter trade? Complete surprise. McCann to Toronto? Plenty of speculation about McCann, but not to Toronto.

McGinn signing? No rumors at all. Same with Heinen.

Just food for thought.

To be fair, the Carter trade was a surprise because everyone assumed Carter wouldn't allow a trade anywhere. People were speculating that Hextall would be interested in some of his former Kings players, but the name thrown out most was Quick. People didn't consider Carter because everyone assumed Carter's contract was unworkable and he wouldn't allow a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad