Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I agree the team doesn't need to make any panic moves but Dorion is probably feeling some pressure with new ownership on the way,
Yes, Dorion could be feeling some pressure. Hopefully there's some guard rails in place limiting what he can do given there's a pending sale of the team. A dumb trade now could be costly and have a long term impact.

Dorion will do one more big trade before he gets replaced by new ownership
Book it
Dorion likely needs to get approval from the interim board. Hopefully they have some constraints in place. If I'm a bidder, I'd want assets frozen (major moves) until I take over. That kind of lock down is actually pretty common in similar situations.

Reactions: bert and Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Overkill as in we have too many good d men?

Chicago is an unmitigated disaster. If you don’t think he’s an improvement then alright. I think at 6 he’s a good add.
If we can get him at 6 for a protected 1st and greig then awesome I would make that deal. I suspect it will take more though as Jones at 6mill is something a bunch of teams would jump at imo. Thats a lot of money for Chicago to eat

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If we can get him at 6 for a protected 1st and greig then awesome I would make that deal. I suspect it will take more though as Jones at 6mill is something a bunch of teams would jump at imo. Thats a lot of money for Chicago to eat
Yes it is a lot for Chicago to pay for the remaining term of Jones' contract. That is why a "protected first" clause would not be included to help pay Chicago back.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Yes it is a lot for Chicago to pay for the remaining term of Jones' contract. That is why a "protected first" clause would not be included to help pay Chicago back.
No team outside of the playoffs is moving their 1st without protection. Any team in the playoff is not moving for Jones due to cap

This is an offseason move after the lottery if anything. Kinda late for Pierre to be doing this now

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yes, Dorion could be feeling some pressure. Hopefully there's some guard rails in place limiting what he can do given there's a pending sale of the team. A dumb trade now could be costly and have a long term impact.

Dorion likely needs to get approval from the interim board. Hopefully they have some constraints in place. If I'm a bidder, I'd want assets frozen (major moves) until I take over. That kind of lock down is actually pretty common in similar situations.
There is little doubt that is the current situation. Only way DJ and Dorion keep their jobs after this is if they not only make the playoffs but probably need to at least win a round. I actually think DJ has more job security than Dorion.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No team outside of the playoffs is moving their 1st without protection. Any team in the playoff is not moving for Jones due to cap

This is an offseason move after the lottery if anything. Kinda late for Pierre to be doing this now
I can see a desperate GM making a move to bolster his team's defence and giving up a less than 25% chance of getting the #1 OA pick to help pay the cost.

Playoff teams would have to give up other assets of value to get Chicago to retain significant salary.

I agree it is late for Dorion to be doing this now.

There is little doubt that is the current situation. Only way DJ and Dorion keep their jobs after this is if they not only make the playoffs but probably need to at least win a round. I actually think DJ has more job security than Dorion.
I agree that there are reasons why DJ might be retained over Dorion; however, I see both of them gone once a new owner is in place.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
By the time the new owner takes over the senators will either

A) be in thick of playoff hunt or
B) will be effectively eliminated.

Neither situation really lends itself to a coaching change.

I think, most likely, the new owner will appoint a president of hockeyy operations quixkly and they will take the rest of the year to pick a new GM, who, will then pick their own coach.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think most people outside our fanbase (and even then it’s only a segment) think that our rebuild has been coming along pretty nicely.

We are poised to start being a playoff team and we have a core of very young players which we have added DBC and Cat to.

I doubt new ownership will be in a rush to clean house just to ‘put their name on things’. That doesn’t lend towards smart business.

I suspect they will build a business and hockey hierarchy and then let them do their jobs. They will likely look to bring in a well known hockey executive to become POHO, and then let them do their job.

The Sens are not a team that is in a spot that deserves wholesale punitive firings, which undoubtably will upset many, but as I shared previously, I think the rebuild has been coming along well all things considered.

Personally I would like to see a fleshed out pro and amateur scouting department. Mann has been good for us, but let him do his AGM thing and bring in, or promote, a new head scout who can draft. The situation in pro scouting needs some finesse (to say the least).

Eventually everyone gets fired, but you only really clean house right away when things have been a disaster when you take over, which is not what is happening with our team. I’d rather see a smart process that sees elevated expectations and goes about accountability in a transparent and respectful manner. I want to see a team that continues to do right by the players and employees.

Fans are just fans, we’ll pack the bandwagon when we win, and the boo birds get loud when we don’t. We don’t factor into personnel moves, our job is to spend money to watch the games if we feel it’s worth it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What they are probably looking for is another one or two transition pieces, but they need to either trade for a very good young RD or draft one & wait. I'm not sure what Jack Matier RD would cost, but he would be a decent future 3rd pairing RD along with Kleven LD. If they can re-sign Zub & JBD can replace Hamonic they could be set or try & upgrade on JBD if he doesn't work out. It's their biggest weakness right now upgrading their defence.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When looking for trade partners, I would look for teams in flux with chaotic ownership and management situations. That's Vancouver. They are desperate to "change their mix" as their owner believes that a couple of trades will re-energize their team. Putting aside the obvious name of Horvat, I think there's a chance to get Boeser out of there for a handful of magic beans. They are desperate to unload him, and I think a change of scenery re-energizes him and improves our forward depth.

For a lower impact trade, I think Conor Garland is a guy who we could get for bucket of pucks, and who could provide some scoring and depth to our forwards, allowing us to mercifully sit guys like Watson and Gambrell.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I could see Jones fitting in here very well, and I loath to say that as I am not a Jones fan.

Would mean losing Zub along with significant futures but could be a fantastic add.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
By the time the new owner takes over the senators will either

A) be in thick of playoff hunt or
B) will be effectively eliminated.

Neither situation really lends itself to a coaching change.

I think, most likely, the new owner will appoint a president of hockeyy operations quixkly and they will take the rest of the year to pick a new GM, who, will then pick their own coach.
Why do I have the feeling Jacques Martin will enter the picture as part of the new Front Office?

• Love
Reactions: NB613

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I think most people outside our fanbase (and even then it’s only a segment) think that our rebuild has been coming along pretty nicely.

We are poised to start being a playoff team and we have a core of very young players which we have added DBC and Cat to.

I doubt new ownership will be in a rush to clean house just to ‘put their name on things’. That doesn’t lend towards smart business.

I suspect they will build a business and hockey hierarchy and then let them do their jobs. They will likely look to bring in a well known hockey executive to become POHO, and then let them do their job.

The Sens are not a team that is in a spot that deserves wholesale punitive firings, which undoubtably will upset many, but as I shared previously, I think the rebuild has been coming along well all things considered.

Personally I would like to see a fleshed out pro and amateur scouting department. Mann has been good for us, but let him do his AGM thing and bring in, or promote, a new head scout who can draft. The situation in pro scouting needs some finesse (to say the least).

Eventually everyone gets fired, but you only really clean house right away when things have been a disaster when you take over, which is not what is happening with our team. I’d rather see a smart process that sees elevated expectations and goes about accountability in a transparent and respectful manner. I want to see a team that continues to do right by the players and employees.

Fans are just fans, we’ll pack the bandwagon when we win, and the boo birds get loud when we don’t. We don’t factor into personnel moves, our job is to spend money to watch the games if we feel it’s worth it.
Lots to unpack here. I do hope they choose new coaching including assistants. Due diligence is completely on the mark as you indicate. No rush. Just get it done.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder if Edm would want to move Evan Bouchard RD, he was a pt producer in junior & has top 4 potential. It would probably cost DeBrincat plus.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I don’t agree lol. Other fans don’t care about other teams rebuilds. They see us later place for several years and this year Hype followed by more basement in the standings. We are getting made fun of more than we are being commended for our rebuild

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
I wonder if Edm would want to move Evan Bouchard RD, he was a pt producer in junior & has top 4 potential. It would probably cost DeBrincat plus.

If they'd want to move him, that's a huge red flag. And certainly not someone you'd trade DeBrincat for, much less adding to it. Plus, how would Edmonton fit DeBrincat under the cap?

Assen na yo!

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
Jones was such a stud in CBJ, I loved watching him play

I kinda like the idea even though its not gonna happen

Reactions: HSF

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
3-way trade:

To Ottawa:
Curtis Lazar

To Anaheim:
Nikita Zaitsev
WSH 2nd 2024
TB 4th 2024
VAN 5th 2024

To Vancouver:
Urho Vaakanainen

Ottawa gives Zaistev, 2nd, 4th for Lazar. Anaheim gives Vaakanainen for Zaistev, 2nd, 4th, 5th. Vancouver gives Lazar, 5th for Vaakanainen.
---------------------
Post-deadline team:

Brady - Stu - G
Cat - Norris - Bath
Motte - Pinto - Joseph
Greig - Kastelic - Lazar
Watson, Kelly, Brassard, Gambrell

Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - Hamonic
Holden

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
There is zero cost this year in signing Zub.
sure but there is additional cost for the next 4?

I am just curious why we think contracts are frozen for this year. I suspect there is some budget in place that Dorion is allowed to move within. He has been trying to add Chychrun or someone else for a while so it must be possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad