Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Tin foil hat time.

We’ve been linked to a LD in Gavrikov and we’ve been told that Kleven goes straight to the show.

But we have 3 very capable LD in Sandy, Branny and Chabby. Who’s the odd man out?

I think Chabot may be on his way out. Maybe in a swap for a RD…
That's not tin foil hat material

I first said that last summer. And with his play this year, I hope it happens

Reactions: Que

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I never mentioned this season either… “lol”

That’s half of my point. Mercer is younger and already more proven than Pinto, has better stats /rates in a larger sample size too.

Career scoring
Pinto 0.45PPG
Mercer 0.55PPG (sample size is 2x as large)
Pinto ATOI 14:53 career, 15:34 this season
Mercer ATOI 16:10 career, 15:36 this season
5v5
Pinto 1.55P/60, 1.4P/60 this year
Mercer 1.82 P/60, 2.0P/60 this year

Both should get better too.
I don't think that's really fair to say he's more proven the way you mean it. Pinto missed an entire year. It really sets you back missing an entire year at his age.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He absolutely is in a position to be picky.

For the same reason Henry Thurn is in the position to be picky.

If he doesn’t sign this season, you trade him. Simple as that. He is too good of an asset to let go for nothing.
That isn't a hot take, it's an obvious take.

Of course we would have to trade his rights if he refuses to sign.

Where is this coming from though? We have had zero indication he is interested in going back and it is very rare that anyone had played that hand.

This is like clickbait.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think Dorian and Co. Should see where Kleven’s head is at - any hesitation on him signing and you have to make him available.

If he goes into next year unsigned - he is gone. As simple as that. And I don’t blame him.
Why do you think there's a concern here? You seem to be implying that he should be concerned and you're onboard with his concern

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That isn't a hot take, it's an obvious take.

Of course we would have to trade his rights if he refuses to sign.

Where is this coming from though? We have had zero indication he is interested in going back and it is very rare that anyone had played that hand.

This is like clickbait.
Every time we have an NCAA prospect this seems to happen, people worried about Wolanin then JBD, and now Kleven (did it happen with Pinto, I don't remember), but the reality is these kids tend to sign, it's the outliers that don't.

Reactions: guyzeur

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

If he doesn’t sign this season, you trade him. Simple as that. He is too good of an asset to let go for nothing.

How many guys actually walk to free agency? It's super rare. Which is why I chided you a bit on saying stuff like this:

"If he goes into next year unsigned - he is gone. As simple as that. And I don’t blame him."

It's more of the "disaster hubrus" we used to see quite a bit of around here.

Let some sun into your life. Smoke a joint. Pet a cat. It'll be okay.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Every time we have an NCAA prospect this seems to happen, people worried about Wolanin then JBD, and now Kleven (did it happen with Pinto, I don't remember), but the reality is these kids tend to sign, it's the outliers that don't.
It comes with selecting NCAA kids - it‘s something that professionals worry about too, it’s not just us fans.

There were some that were worried about Pinto, but it‘s not until that 3rd season in NCAA hockey when it starts to creep for me. It’s rare that a desirable prospect makes It to their 4th year anyway, so when one does fans rightfully worry.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Never saw anyone say Kleven right to the show.
Will he get a game or some when NCAA season over , yes, but no idea for next fall.

But If you have a link that thinks management thinks he’ll skip the AHL , I’ll definitely read it.

It was in Garrioch’s 2nd period interview two games ago I think. Bruce said the evaluation process for Kleven will be through the NHL. The expectation is once Tyler’s season is finished in March he will ink a contract and he given playing time in the NHL first.

He still may go to the AHL but the belief amongst the management group is he’s ready for the show.

I doubt Kleven is going to be an NHLer immediately. Will likely need at least a year or two in Belleville.

But we should absolutely be exploring a deal based around Chabot for Karlsson right now.

Whether Chabot goes to SJ or a 3rd team for futures, shouldn't matter. Framework for a deal is there.

I feel like if he can keep his skating and hitting up like he has for UND he’s a lock as our 3LD. Learn everything on the fly - feed him to the wolves - or rather let him feast on wolf flesh.

Chabot, Boucher, 2024 1st to SJ Karlsson at 25% retention.

Zaitsev and Thomson to CBJ for Gavrikov.

Talbot, Watson & Holden to LA for Walker.

Cat Stu Giroux
Tkachuk Norris Bath
Grieg Pinto Joseph
Kelly Kastelic Gauthier

Sanderson Karlsson
Brannstrom Zub
Gavrikov Walker

Cup run here we come next year

The things I would do…

But I really do think management is growing thin with patience when it comes to Chabot. We’re all tired of waiting for him to find that ‘next gear’ and when you know how many gears Erik has…

How many guys actually walk to free agency? It's super rare. Which is why I chided you a bit on saying stuff like this:

"If he goes into next year unsigned - he is gone. As simple as that. And I don’t blame him."

I’m Kleven’s biggest fan. I’ve been pumping those tires since he was a 5th round long shot who would never make it.

This kid is a motherf***ing stallion.

He plays a lot like prime Pronger.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

hahaha! This ‘never’ happens, and yet it gets mentioned every year as a potential boogieman. He has the added bonus of having a few buddies on the team already.

Here’s my spoiler to book: Kleven will come over and play this season and will sign with the team at that time to burn a year and get his pro career started.

He will also not play in the AHL and will play 3rd pair LD next season.

:)

Reactions: Que

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

It is rare, but because something is rare - does that mean you shouldn’t discuss the possibility of it?

How about we discuss an interesting talking point about prospect many are fond of on a hockey board.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'd be livid if Dorion is allowed to make a trade involving Chabot.

Let a GM build a roster properly then hire a coaching staff capable of instilling 2-way hockey and then we'll see

You can look up in the sky and it's easy to read that Chabot would get picked up by a contender and then go on to dominate. It's not because we don't know how to use him that another team wouldn't.

Chabot has the 2nd most ES TOI/GP in the league (Karlsson is 1st). You don't need to play Chabot 21:33 at ES. If your other pairings are capable of not getting destroyed then you can change the way to use Chabot in a more offensive way (and with the proper partner)

If they do, is that the worst thing? Greig is ready to slide into that 3rd line centre spot and we need the space for DeBrincat.

Losing a young player like Pinto for nothing would be absolutely terrible.

If you have a million in assets and lose 50K$, it is a pretty big deal

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I’m Kleven’s biggest fan. I’ve been pumping those tires since he was a 5th round long shot who would never make it.

I don't see it, I see maybe another Eric Gryba. But here's hoping I'm wrong!

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison

A lot of his hits are huge. Like wowie. And in order to do that you have to be able to think the game. He knows how the play is going to progress almost instinctively at times. He’s got a way to go but the improvement is there and continuing.

He’ll be more reserved in the NHL, but I think he ends up like a Dion Phaneuf but better skater. He will be a coveted asset and every kids 1st trade in EA.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
It comes with selecting NCAA kids - it‘s something that professionals worry about too, it’s not just us fans.

There were some that were worried about Pinto, but it‘s not until that 3rd season in NCAA hockey when it starts to creep for me. It’s rare that a desirable prospect makes It to their 4th year anyway, so when one does fans rightfully worry.
if unsigned, and he returns. he will be 21/22.

Since unsigned, he becomes a free agent in the summer...I believe @Sens of Anarchy would know better. I am relying on you here Sens.

And so, if he does sign elsewhere, his 3 year ELC may actually remain intact. No burn thanks to coming out.

So he is 21 now, will be 22 by graduation, will be 23 at the end of season 1. Which could be in the minors.
At the end of ELC, he will be 24/25. If he does progress, he may hit a home run in his next contract. If he becomes a #4 D man, he will sign a reasonable 5-8 year deal. And that could be his last (if 7 or 8 years. He will be 32-33)

If he comes out now. He burns one ELC. next year as a 21/22. he burns year 2, either here or in the AHL..at 22/23, last year of ELC... He can hit a home run at 23. AND still do well in his follow up contract, as he may be 28-31. Even a more modest contract, will still end at 28-31.

so 2 extra years earning full pay. In a sport that is growing faster and may close its doors on 32 and older. It makes zero sense to stay in school past 19/20 years of age. He has already wasted a year.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It was in Garrioch’s 2nd period interview two games ago I think. Bruce said the evaluation process for Kleven will be through the NHL. The expectation is once Tyler’s season is finished in March he will ink a contract and he given playing time in the NHL first.

He still may go to the AHL but the belief amongst the management group is he’s ready for the show.

I feel like if he can keep his skating and hitting up like he has for UND he’s a lock as our 3LD. Learn everything on the fly - feed him to the wolves - or rather let him feast on wolf flesh.

The things I would do…

But I really do think management is growing thin with patience when it comes to Chabot. We’re all tired of waiting for him to find that ‘next gear’ and when you know how many gears Erik has…

That’s what I said in my post
nearly every college kid gets a few games when he comes out, next year has to make the team. For some reason you said the same thing,
That is not a direct line to NHL, or right to the show.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It is rare, but because something is rare - does that mean you shouldn’t discuss the possibility of it?

How about we discuss an interesting talking point about prospect many are fond of on a hockey board.
You said you don’t blame him if he bolts though, you threw fire on the discussion, that’s why.

How many UND games do you watch.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
You said you don’t blame him if he bolts though, you threw fire on the discussion, that’s why.

How many UND games do you watch.
I actually watched a bunch maybe two years back when they made their little run. Nothing recently though.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Sloooooowwww that talk down. Prime Pronger? Let's see how defends in the pro game - he looked like he got exposed at the World Juniors.

I want him to be good as well but he has a long way to go before we get too excited.

He’ll be more reserved in the NHL, but I think he ends up like a Dion Phaneuf but better skater. He will be a coveted asset and every kids 1st trade in EA.
Dion was a good skater early in his career and had the offensive instincts to leverage that ability.

I hope you are even 1/4 of the way right as we would have a heck of a D on our team.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Found this from a blues fan talking about Parayako. lol

Do you like slapshots? Because Parayko has a CANNON
“He shoots a lot?”
Well.. No.

Do you like physicality? Because he is HUGE
“So he hits?”
OH NO NO NO.

Do you like pass breakups? His reach is INSANE
“There it is. So he’s good in front of the net?”
Actually, also No.”

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
That’s what I said in my post
nearly every college kid gets a few games when he comes out, next year has to make the team. For some reason you said the same thing,
That is not a direct line to NHL, or right to the show.

Agree. I think with the worry around the ability for him to choose his own team/destiny as a college UFA the Sens will offer him a 1 way ticket.

I’m just such a homer I don’t think he ever goes down to the AHL. :laugh:

Sloooooowwww that talk down. Prime Pronger? Let's see how defends in the pro game - he looked like he got exposed at the World Juniors.

I want him to be good as well but he has a long way to go before we get too excited.

Dion was a good skater early in his career and had the offensive instincts to leverage that ability.

I hope you are even 1/4 of the way right as we would have a heck of a D on our team.

I always take the world juniors with a grain of salt. I mean I say that unless it’s a Senators prospect in which case 1st ballot HOF.

But I believe he’s the real deal. I’ve only watched a handful of games this season (3 I think) but I watch as many highlights as I can and read the informed comments.

He’s as much a student of the game as he is a raging show-off. Awesome traits to have in your 2/3 LD whose sole responsibilities are smart plays first, then big hits and hard shots.

I think his hardest adjustment will be changing his pace of play to the games pace of play. I think that’s why he gets caught sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad