Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
On its own, I wouldn't want to take on Lucic and his contract for the extra year. However, if the cost savings (I think it is about $5 million) could then be used to fund good cap dumps that would accrue assets then I would reluctantly get behind it. ie. take on Hossa's LTIR and fund the uninsured portion or take on Clarkson and Gusev (I seem to remember the ask was a 2nd plus B pick with Clarkson cancelling the 2nd) and then flip Gusev to a contender for assets.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Lucic and Ryan is an on paper move.

Lucic is owed 3/4/5/4=16.0
Ryan is owed 7.5/7.5/7.5/0.7=23.2 (*accounting for the 700k to fill the roster spot in year 4.

7.2M in savings.

Remember, prior to this season Ryan was consistently hurt. This season was probably the exception to the rule.

I'd take the sweetener and the 7.2M to spend elsewhere over risking keeping Ryan and having his finger issues pop up again.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Would people be more open to Lucic/Ryan if it meant being able to afford Gusev?

To Edmonton: Bobby Ryan + Mike Condon + Nick Paul + SJS 6th 2020
To Ottawa: Milan Lucic + Brandon Manning + Puljujarvi/Bear + EDM 7th 2020

To Vegas: Filip Chlapik + OTT 5th 2021 STL 6th 2020
To Ottawa: Nikita Gusev + David Clarkson + VGK 7th 2020

Tkachuk - White - Brown
Duclair - Tierney - Batherson
Gusev - Anisimov - Boedker/Pulj
Lucic - Pageau - Ennis
Boedker/Puljujarvi

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I feel the opposite way.

Lucic is only signed a year longer than Ryan. That's not much of a risk to take for the reward of a potential top 6 forward in Pulji.
Being owned by a penny pincher that extra year means extra dollars. Every dollar counts when it's time to re-up our own guys

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Lucic and Ryan is an on paper move.

Lucic is owed 3/4/5/4=16.0
Ryan is owed 7.5/7.5/7.5/0.7=23.2 (*accounting for the 700k to fill the roster spot in year 4.

7.2M in savings.

Remember, prior to this season Ryan was consistently hurt. This season was probably the exception to the rule.

I'd take the sweetener and the 7.2M to spend elsewhere over risking keeping Ryan and having his finger issues pop up again.
Has Ryan's bonus not been paid yet?

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019

Tkachuk - White - Brown
Lucic - Pageau - Ennis
Boedker/Puljujarvi
Gusev is a bit of a risk because he has yet to play in the NHL and could always head back to the KHL but if we were to flip Gusev to another team for assets then I would be in agreement. Signing him for 2 years when he is 27, and we won't be near competitive, to keep him would make no sense.

I would hope we could get a bit better deal from both Vegas and Edmonton but otherwise where do we sign.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Has Ryan's bonus not been paid yet?

Garrioch has stated Ryan's bonus is paid in either March or May. I've never seen clarification about which bonus that is.

As in, was his 18-19 bonus paid in March 2019, or was that his bonus for the upcoming 19-20 season that was paid?

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Gusev is a bit of a risk because he has yet to play in the NHL and could always head back to the KHL but if we were to flip Gusev to another team for assets then I would be in agreement. Signing him for 2 years when he is 27, and we won't be near competitive, to keep him would make no sense.

I would hope we could get a bit better deal from both Vegas and Edmonton but otherwise where do we sign.

All I've heard about Gusev is that he's asking for 4mil. Nothing about term. If that trade were made the Sens could mitigate the risk by signing him to a 1-2 year show me deal, which right now the only deal Gusev should get.

If he puts up points then great, he can be flipped or extended. Whatever Dorion wants to do with him. If he flames out then fine, but giving up Chlapik and low picks for that chance is someone I'd take 10/10 times.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I feel the opposite way.

Lucic is only signed a year longer than Ryan. That's not much of a risk to take for the reward of a potential top 6 forward in Pulji.

Lucic + Pulj for Ryan.. from edmonton perspective consider that a done deal imo

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Lucic is barely even an NHL player. You don't take players who need a fresh start with that large of an anchor.

Here's the thing. Let's say you can choose one of these two packages for the Senators to get over the next few seasons.

-Bobby Ryan in our top 9 for 3 seasons at a salary of 0

Or

-Jesse Puljujarvi
-7.2M in "salary space" to use on additional players

Which do you take?

If you don't choose Ryan, then the Lucic trade is a good move because Ryan's 22.5M is a sunk cost. So you can't look at it like adding Lucic at a cost of 14M, it has to be looked at as freeing up 7.2M+acquiring a sweetener vs having Ryan on our roster.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Tkachuk - White - Brown
Lucic - Pageau - Ennis
Boedker/Puljujarvi

Reinvest in the team you mean? Not realistic

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
It’s fun to dream, but my guess is that PD is done trading forwards. He needs to clear out some goalies IMO.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Are there actual rumours involving Lucic-Ryan, or are we just armchair GMing this?

I'm fine if it's the latter, I'm just curious which one it is.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Are there actual rumours involving Lucic-Ryan, or are we just armchair GMing this?

I have heard no rumors. I know the Oilers fans have offered up Lucic and Paajarvi for just about anything that that anything price keeps dropping.
I trust @danielpalfredsson to do the math on it and from what he has said it would be a favorable financial move. I don't like the idea of acquiring either player from the player/team perspective.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Just speculation based on Lucic's bonus supposedly being paid yesterday.

There was a supposed Oilers #boardinsider a few weeks ago with a proposal thread on the main board claiming he heard something about a Lucic/Ryan swap, but I'd take that with a huge grain of salt obviously.

It fits the pattern of what the Sens have done with money/cap. It just comes down to whether EDM would rather pay 7.25M x 3 vs 6M x 4. Another angle would be that Ryan could be bought out next year and it frees up more cap space and stays on the books for a shorter time than a Lucic buyout.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
With all the cap space next year. We have to try trade for a good center. What the point to have lot of prospect and pick if we can put in the roster. Point would be the perfect target or if we trade for Lucic try to have Nuge for cheap. Maybe Lucic + Hopkins ( re-sign ) vs Ryan + Tierney + a prospect or 2 rnd

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
With all the cap space next year. We have to try trade for a good center. What the point to have lot of prospect and pick if we can put in the roster. Point would be the perfect target or if we trade for Lucic try to have Nuge for cheap. Maybe Lucic + Hopkins ( re-sign ) vs Ryan + Tierney + a prospect or 2 rnd
If we're getting a top line center, it'll be via lottery pick at one of the next 3-4 drafts.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Here's the thing. Let's say you can choose one of these two packages for the Senators to get over the next few seasons.

-Bobby Ryan in our top 9 for 3 seasons at a salary of 0

Or

-Jesse Puljujarvi
-7.2M in "salary space" to use on additional players

Which do you take?

If you don't choose Ryan, then the Lucic trade is a good move because Ryan's 22.5M is a sunk cost. So you can't look at it like adding Lucic at a cost of 14M, it has to be looked at as freeing up 7.2M+acquiring a sweetener vs having Ryan on our roster.
Lucics NMC makes this all null

If even if Puljuarvi doesnt bust, we have to protect Lucic and we lose one of our top 7 fwds

Reactions: OgieO

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

If even if Puljuarvi doesnt bust, we have to protect Lucic and we lose one of our top 7 fwds

The speculation is that he'd waive it to leave the Oilers and then agree to waive it for expansion. Wouldn't want to risk it, personally, given what happened last time around with Phaneuf/Methot, but if he's that unhappy in Edmonton it helps facilitate a way out. Plus he's from Vamcouver, so Seattle would be a bit of a homecoming on the off chance Seattle took him (or were enticed to take him via picks/prospects).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Maybe the stumbling block is Ryan. At this point in his career, I doubt he wants to be in the spotlight. He can barely handle the criticism he gets in Ottawa.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

We could buyout Lucic prior to the expansion draft.

If we were doing the trade mostly as a means of saving cash, I doubt we'd have an issue with doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad