Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada
I wanna keep RNH... I'd rather see Eberle get shipped out if needed. When's the last time Center was a strength?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I wanna keep RNH... I'd rather see Eberle get shipped out if needed. When's the last time Center was a strength?

RNH has struggled lately, but what if either Drais and McDavid go down? He would slot in and the team wouldn't be handcuffed like in years past.

I agree that Ebs should be shipped out. Who does the team replace in Ebs position though? Regardless, he is much more replaceable as RW's are a dime a dozen.

Gambl0r83*

Reinhart? :laugh:

People riding Davidson hard last year, and especially the early part of this season. Now all of a sudden, he's a solid d-man that might have to be promoted to the top pairing due to Klef's injury. He's a horse back there.

Reinhart I see a similar path, he's going to work on his weaknesses, and slowly work his way into being a steady, hard, NHL d-man. To laugh at this trade 30 games in and when he's in the minors developing is just wrong

People here still haven't learned the essence of giving players time (ala Hall last year, Anders this year, and Nuge in the near future). Developing a d-man with Reinhart's potential takes ALOT of time. Just ask Duncan Keith or Brandon Davidson

Chia got us Anders (speaks for itself now) , Korpi (who has been a catalyst on his line, especially lately), Letestu (on a nightly basis pwning the face-off dot against the best in the league), de-captainized Ference, and sent steady NHL pro's down to the minors holding them accountable for their play.

I'll trust his judgment on Griffin in the long run, and the naysayers just as we see now, will admit how wrong they were and then move on as if their **** don't stink.

Last edited by a moderator:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I fail to see why Nashville would even consider trading Jones to Edmonton for RNH.

They'd be better off dealing Weber than Jones. RNH isn't even that effective of a centre in the western conference.

They can't trade Weber because of the risk of cap recapture penalties if he retires before his contact is up. Plus the Preds are in a win now mode; so trading Jones for that young, high end center makes way more sense.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
People riding Davidson hard last year, and especially the early part of this season. Now all of a sudden, he's a solid d-man that might have to be promoted to the top pairing due to Klef's injury. He's a horse back there.

Reinhart I see a similar path, he's going to work on his weaknesses, and slowly work his way into being a steady, hard, NHL d-man. To laugh at this trade 30 games in and when he's in the minors developing is just wrong

People here still haven't learned the essence of giving players time (ala Hall last year, Anders this year, and Nuge in the near future). Developing a d-man with Reinhart's potential takes ALOT of time. Just ask Duncan Keith or Brandon Davidson

Chia got us Anders (speaks for itself now) , Korpi (who has been a catalyst on his line, especially lately), Letestu (on a nightly basis pwning the face-off dot against the best in the league), de-captainized Ference, and sent steady NHL pro's down to the minors holding them accountable for their play.

I'll trust his judgment on Griffin in the long run, and the naysayers just as we see now, will admit how wrong they were and then move on as if their **** don't stink.
There is always what did you do for me last game attitude. You are 100% correct.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site

Why would the Oilers trade anyone right now?
They've won 5 in a row; a couple points out of a playoff spot and have yet to see a healthy team. If I'm Chiarelli there's definitely no core traded for Hamonic and nothing major done till the offseason.

Oilers finally have a competent coaching staff, I say this is year 1 of evaluations.
Hell, l the best player in the world (Crosby)looked terrible with bad coaching.

GM'ing 101 says see what you have before you trade anyone. The Oilers owe it to themselves to see what this team looks like healthy.

I want to see how other teams handle these 3 lines:
Hall Drai Purcell
XX RNH EBs
Pouliot McDavid Yakupov

There's a top line or two getting some prime matchups. I want to see it!!

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

I agree. Depth is a luxury and not necessarily a bad thing if it doesn't look pretty on paper.
....you can line juggle the bevy of talent and reap the rewards.

Since I like when things look pretty on paper though.....just convert nuge to rwing and move yak/ebs to the left side.

Hall-Drai-RNH
Yakupov-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Lander/UFA-Purcell

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
The only way that RNH stays IMO is if they intend to go back to the Hall-RNH-Draisaitl line when McDavid returns. That line was lethal when they were together but Hall and Draisaitl haven't really missed a beat without RNH.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The only way that RNH stays IMO is if they intend to go back to the Hall-RNH-Draisaitl line when McDavid returns. That line was lethal when they were together but Hall and Draisaitl haven't really missed a beat without RNH.

The Hall & Drai line are doing just fine without RNH, but that line was even more dominant than it presently is when all three of them were playing together. I'd like to see that line re-united, even if you intend to trade RNH putting him with those two should only help him pad his stats up a bit.

There is going to come a time when we are going to have to pick our two centers we want to stick with like Pittsburgh had to and like Colorado kind of had to, but there is no sense in forcing anyone out when 2 of the 3 aforementioned centers are still on their entry level contracts. Too many high end centers isn't exactly a bad problem to have and certainly don't need to rush anything in that regard.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
The more I think about it (even though I posted otherwise a few days ago), I like the idea of keeping Eberle and running 3 pairings:

Hall - Drai - (Purcell)
(Pouliot) - McDavid - Yak
(Khaira) - Nuge - Eberle

and shortening those to:

Hall - Nuge - Drai
(Pouliot) - McDavid - Yak/Eberle

in 'must-score' situations.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The Hall & Drai line are doing just fine without RNH, but that line was even more dominant than it presently is when all three of them were playing together. I'd like to see that line re-united, even if you intend to trade RNH putting him with those two should only help him pad his stats up a bit.

There is going to come a time when we are going to have to pick our two centers we want to stick with like Pittsburgh had to and like Colorado kind of had to, but there is no sense in forcing anyone out when 2 of the 3 aforementioned centers are still on their entry level contracts. Too many high end centers isn't exactly a bad problem to have and certainly don't need to rush anything in that regard.

There is a fine line to walk along though. If RNH remains as a C when this team is healthy and that then forces him to be the third line C, there's the risk that his value could drop if he can't start producing offense on that line. You don't want to hold onto him too long and wind up moving him for pennies on the dollar like they did with Hemsky, Petry, Gagner, ect.....

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
There is a fine line to walk along though. If RNH remains as a C when this team is healthy and that then forces him to be the third line C, there's the risk that his value could drop if he can't start producing offense on that line. You don't want to hold onto him too long and wind up moving him for pennies on the dollar like they did with Hemsky, Petry, Gagner, ect.....

Does it matter if you keep the player and he contributes to winning? Also i doubt that happens, it's not like we couldn't move him or Draisaitl to wing. We all know he's better than Purcell on that line. San Jose has had 4 very good centers for a long time. Hemsky was different because we were rebuilding and injuries greatly impacted his ability.

northern2020

Nov 23, 2003
Can anyone run a statline on Hall and Drai with RNH Points Per Game and without RNH over the time since Drai has been recalled?

I'm hoping they reunite these 3 and run with two offensive Juggernaughts with

1A being McJesus plus Ebs/Yak/Poulioit/Khaira permutations

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The more I think about it (even though I posted otherwise a few days ago), I like the idea of keeping Eberle and running 3 pairings:

Hall - Drai - (Purcell)
(Pouliot) - McDavid - Yak
(Khaira) - Nuge - Eberle

and shortening those to:

Hall - Nuge - Drai
(Pouliot) - McDavid - Yak/Eberle

in 'must-score' situations.

For the rest of the season definitely, but in the off season I'd like to see them trade Eberle to upgrade our RHD situation. Replace him with someone cheaper who's a better two way player who can win puck battles.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The comment you responded to:

"No GM in their right mind trades a top 6 center with remaining contract in place unless the player in question forces the trade (Kesler comes to mind)."

Basically what i'm saying is the deals you listed are for players nowhere close to Hopkins, look at what they were doing at 22 for example, or were as he said players who forced a trade.

No, that's actually not the post I responded to. That is just the first sentence of the post I responded to.

Once again - Superstar centers don't get traded as per the ops example, 2nd and 3rd tier centers do get moved as per my example, and they get moved for various reasons. RNH has his own unique reasons why he could move, and maybe even should be moved.

Don't get hung up on whether you think RNH is better or worse than this player or that player, or what they were doing at age 22(we aren't comparing draft age players here), because wasn't the point. The core of the argument is that RNH isn't a franchise player or a superstar, and players that don't qualify for that status move all the time.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
No need to, I don't run away from my opinions right or wrong. Hall is playing better than he ever has right now.

Not by that much TBH.

He found this gear a little earlier than this year than usual, but Hall has dominated like this before and put up very similar numbers in doing so.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
It's funny how with hall when he makes the simplest of plays now I think to myself "what a player!". Like he will gain the zone and dump the puck in and it's "he's become such an intelligent player" as opposed to in years past when he tried to toe drag through 3 defenders with blinding speed...sometimes with partial success and I'd think "what the hell is wrong with him"

I think you can give credit to both hall and maclellan for turning hall into an all situations player.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
For the rest of the season definitely, but in the off season I'd like to see them trade Eberle to upgrade our RHD situation. Replace him with someone cheaper who's a better two way player who can win puck battles.

I'm not sure it's possible though. I don't think Eberle will return the type of Dman the team needs, and he's more valuable than any Dman he would return.

As an example, I was in favour of moving Eberle for Hamonic +, but I'm guessing if either side of that deal was happy with it, it would have been done.

The problem with the team's defence isn't so much quality as it is seasoning. Sekera is a legit top 4 defender and Klefbom and Nurse both look to be solid #3s on any team in the league at worst. If Reinhart develops as expected, that's the team's top 4. Schultz is a wild card (and IMO has played much better than what a lot of posters would have you believe), and a 6th defenceman is easy to acquire (see Gryba).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not by that much TBH.

He found this gear a little earlier than this year than usual, but Hall has dominated like this before and put up very similar numbers in doing so.

Offensively I would agree, defensively and in terms of physical play while bringing his best on offense? I don't think that we've ever seen a better version of Hall. His decision making with the puck has also been the best that it's ever been.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's funny how with hall when he makes the simplest of plays now I think to myself "what a player!". Like he will gain the zone and dump the puck in and it's "he's become such an intelligent player" as opposed to in years past when he tried to toe drag through 3 defenders with blinding speed...sometimes with partial success and I'd think "what the hell is wrong with him"

I think you can give credit to both hall and maclellan for turning hall into an all situations player.

Agreed, now he only does this kind of stuff if we are down and need a goal. He is a completely new player, hats off to him and our coaching staff. If not for McDavid and Nurse's long term presence I would give him the C right now.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Offensively I would agree, defensively and in terms of physical play while bringing his best on offense? I don't think that we've ever seen a better version of Hall. His decision making with the puck has also been the best that it's ever been.

I'd say many players are better about this now and it comes down to having a good, experienced coach.

I've said this before but whatever you think about Halls decision making, defensive effort or positioning - he was the teams best defensive player prior to this year by a lot because he's the best and most consistent driver of offensive possession on the team.

It's fantastic that those problem areas are improving, but he was elite before.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd say many players are better about this now and it comes down to having a good, experienced coach.

I've said this before but whatever you think about Halls decision making, defensive effort or positioning - he was the teams best defensive player prior to this year by a lot because he's the best and most consistent driver of offensive possession on the team.

It's fantastic that those problem areas are improving, but he was elite before.

That's not what I'd consider a good defensive forward. That's just a really good offensive forward. Now he's becoming both.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

Nails it. Especially the bold part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad