Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Just out of curiosity. What is the best prospect that has been traded in the last 5-6-7 years?

Forsberg?

William Karlsson? He had a hard time in Columbus but he was highly rated as a junior and he's doing good work in Vegas.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
Horrible? JAD is lightning quick, is great at faceoffs and is lighting up the WHL. He’s still 18 (turns 19 in Sept). Clague is a great LD prospect. Two of the Habs biggest needs would be addressed by giving up one player that we don’t want here longterm. If they were both 1 inch taller you’d be okay with it. Such an arbitrary number to say “sub 6 foot players”.
So you are okay not getting one blue chip prospect for Patches? This proposal is pathetic. And yes, size does matter if you would be paying attention around the league. My kid played with JAD and I have seen him many times. He is definitely not a sure thing. Success in junior is dependent on ice time and power play time. JAD is a great kid and may make it but not a sure thing.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I don't think a Pacioretty trade will go down. The reality is we just won't be able to get back what we want. There just isn't a team that is locked into a playoff spot that has a top C prospect that they'd be willing to move. If the Rangers were in 1st place, I could see it happen, but they are selling. I think the best we could hope for would be Sam Bennett and a 1st or something like that.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Marinaro just 100% guaranteed on air that Pacioretty will be traded between now and July 1st. He said just like he told everyone that Subban was gonna be traded Pacioretty will also be traded and Pacioretty 100% knows he's getting traded. He sounded very confident when saying this so we'll see how this goes.

Tony that is a real prediction, like we all know that....lol

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I think Pacioretty has to be traded this year wether it be before the deadline or at the draft.
This team needs a new identity and Captain and its way overdue.
Pacioretty does not fit thoughs future plans IMHO.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think Sam Bennett is definitely an interesting target. He's a buylow candidate, but I think he'd be a real nice fit playing between Lehkonen and Gallagher. I could see those 3 having real nice chemistry as they all play with great energy and awareness.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Sam Bennett is definitely an interesting target. He's a buylow candidate, but I think he'd be a real nice fit playing between Lehkonen and Gallagher. I could see those 3 having real nice chemistry as they all play with great energy and awareness.

Patch for Bennett straight up? I think the Flames would want the Habs to add due to Bennett being so young and under team control for several years... or would they? He's still only age 21 but his stats are not that impressive so far.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think a Pacioretty trade will go down. The reality is we just won't be able to get back what we want. There just isn't a team that is locked into a playoff spot that has a top C prospect that they'd be willing to move. If the Rangers were in 1st place, I could see it happen, but they are selling. I think the best we could hope for would be Sam Bennett and a 1st or something like that.

All the better if a Pacioretty trade doesn't happen. We'd be asking a GM who can't build a team properly, to rebuild it using the same inept management group.

And since he's not a rental player, there will be more suitors at the draft. And hopefully a new GM by then.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
This is ultimately what makes me incredibly pessimistic when it comes to Pacioretty trades for Vilardi or Thomas.

There’s no close to no precedent of top prospect centers being traded. It’ll be interesting if he creates one.

I don't disagree. I will say the only reason I'm somewhat hopeful is that players like Patches don't become available often. For all the flack he gets on this board, he is highly reguarded out there and is very cheap for 2 playoffs runs. For a team already deep at centre and with multiple prospects who need immediate help I can see that as a possibility. I don't think LA is that team. I do think that with Bennet and Jankowski, Calagary may be willing to trade one away for a fan base that's desperate for some playoff success.

St Louis is also interesting as they have a lot of depth at centre too and need a LW badly. Thompson, Babashev, Thomas in addition to Schenn and Berglund give them a lot of depth at the position. So while I'm not hopeful of Thomas, we might be able to pry a Barbashev or Thompson out in a package with Kyrou and a 1st or 2nd.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Patch for Bennett straight up? I think the Flames would want the Habs to add due to Bennett being so young and under team control for several years... or would they? He's still only age 21 but his stats are not that impressive so far.
I think it would be Bennett and a 1st for Patch. Bennett seems to be a change of scenery guy. I really liked him as a prospect a couple of years ago, but I think he was rushed a bit and needs some confidence. Right now he's playing in their bottom 6 and has a penchant for bad penalties.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Gotta love how that Kings fan entire argument for not including Clague in a trade for Pacioretty is based on

"If he plays as advertised"

As though his play in the WHL right now is sustainable/translatable to the NHL next year lol

This is the type of justification most fans on the Rumor Board rely upon. Which means all prospects are "untouchable" on HF.

Reactions: knuck and 417

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

I think it will be a bubble team with high hopes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it would be Bennett and a 1st for Patch. Bennett seems to be a change of scenery guy. I really liked him as a prospect a couple of years ago, but I think he was rushed a bit and needs some confidence. Right now he's playing in their bottom 6 and has a penchant for bad penalties.

No deal if any of our 1st is on the table. I would consider the Hawks or Caps 2nd though. Bennett has shown nothing to justify giving them full value. Heck, Bennet would have a hard time surpassing what Lehkonen did for us last year as a 21 year old. Do you think we can get a Patch + 1st return for Lehkonen? I doubt that.

I think the Flames would prefer to be a bit more patient with him yet and I'm not willing to pay the price for a player who should have similar stats to Galchenyuk when he was age 21.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So you are okay not getting one blue chip prospect for Patches? This proposal is pathetic. And yes, size does matter if you would be paying attention around the league. My kid played with JAD and I have seen him many times. He is definitely not a sure thing. Success in junior is dependent on ice time and power play time. JAD is a great kid and may make it but not a sure thing.

I don’t understand how Clague isn’t a blue chip prospect. He has the highest PPG for anyone in the WHL and he’s a defender. JAD is good too. Not sure what else you expect for Max, there’s too many good players available and teams won’t get rid of elite prospects for a winger. For example, why would LA give Vilardi for Max? Vilardi will be the young Kopitar and he’ll probably play in the NHL next season. Why would you give a big cost controlled centre for a winger for a year and a half? It makes no sense.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This is the type of justification most fans on the Rumor Board rely upon. Which means all prospects are "untouchable" on HF.
If all prospects games/production at the junior level was guaranteed to be reproduced in the NHL, prospects would never get traded...

Reactions: Runner77

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
No deal if any of our 1st is on the table. I would consider the Hawks or Caps 2nd though. Bennett has shown nothing to justify giving them full value. Heck, Bennet would have a hard time surpassing what Lehkonen did for us last year as a 21 year old. Do you think we can get a Patch + 1st return for Lehkonen? I doubt that.

I think the Flames would prefer to be a bit more patient with him yet and I'm not willing to pay the price for a player who should have similar stats to Galchenyuk when he was age 21.
we'd be getting the first...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
No thanks to Bennett. If you draft a “centre” 4th overall and he isn’t a centre after three full NHL seasons, then he’s not a centre.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don’t understand how Clague isn’t a blue chip prospect. He has the highest PPG for anyone in the WHL and he’s a defender. JAD is good too. Not sure what else you expect for Max, there’s too many good players available and teams won’t get rid of elite prospects for a winger. For example, why would LA give Vilardi for Max? Vilardi will be the young Kopitar and he’ll probably play in the NHL next season. Why would you give a big cost controlled centre for a winger for a year and a half? It makes no sense.
Points, especially in the CHL, don't always tell the whole story...

It's not to diminish Clague as a prospect, but based on what i've seen from him playing against the best in age group (WJC's), I don't think he was a dominant Dman offensively. He certainly looks capable of being a player who can produce offense at the NHL level, but not to the point his numbers in the WHL suggest he could be.

I don't follow the WHL a ton...but isn't Moose Jaw one of the better CHL teams? I know they lead the WHL in GF, they've got a couple of overage players lighting it up and i'm sure this helps Clague's numbers a bit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No thanks to Bennett. If you draft a “centre” 4th overall and he isn’t a centre after three full NHL seasons, then he’s not a centre.

If they give me a 1st on top of Bennett for 1.3 years of Patch, I take that deal. I would also have a conditional pick attached if they are able to re-sign Patch.

Reactions: Weber Fan

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

Those who are paying attention would know the top 2 scorers in the league are under 6'. (Kooch and Gaudreau)

... not too far behind are Kane, Crosby, Giroux, Panarin, Point, Marchessault.
... and several more at 6'.

Funny that this arbitrary height of 6' is still being used to project success in the NHL, in 2018, with all these 'small' players having so much success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad