HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Ingenious way to get good young player at bargain basement prices. Broberg high pick in draft. Usually takes 3-4 years before d-man start to mature. Imagine in future right D come up in similar situations

But we're not looking for something 3-4 years down the road, we already have some guys for that.

We're at the point where we have our core and need to complement it.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Beck like Redenbacher isn’t going anywhere either IMO…
I don't know. Beck is not unique in a sense that we also have Kapanen as a probable bottom 6 center.

Reinbacher is a unique and pivotal piece for the future. Although i really like what he brings to the table, Beck is not so much a pivotal piece imo.

Reactions: Lockin17

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't know. Beck is not unique in a sense that we also have Kapanen as a probable bottom 6 center.

Reinbacher is a unique and pivotal piece for the future. Although i really like what he brings to the table, Beck is not so much a pivotal piece imo.
None of the prospects in the system have Beck’s hockey brain…. then add to it face off domination skills

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I don't think any move is a guarantee and I also agree that Hughes won't overpay for the sake of it.. but Calgary would be selling Andersson for futures and we might be able to outbid most teams from that perspective, meaning we could be a legitimate player for him if he hits the market and Hugo think he's the right guy to target.
especially if Calgary finishes 11th and Florida finishes 12th.

• Love
Reactions: DiglettDangles

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Andersson would be for the no.4D spot to be paired with Hutson. This means Savard is traded or allowed to walk as a UFA. With Guhle as the no.2D, we are left to fill the critical no.1D spot, the one we hope Reinbacher can fill. Then the rest of the prospects fight for the bottom pair and we move several of them.

Price for a good TDL UFA is a late 1st and a good B prospect. Much sought after UFA you add of course.

The Reinbacher injury is real bad for the team development into a long term contender. We have Matheson for now thank goodness and that helps for the next couple of years.
Or you just trade Matheson and go Guhle Andersson / Hutson Savard

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Depends on how much value you put on the 3rd line? For me, the 3rd line has more importance than ever before. Top 6 vs bottom 6 is a thing of the past for me. If you are building a contender in this salary cap, it's top 9F and top 4D for my strategy

I agree Reinbacher provides more value. Reinbacher is expected to be a top 4D from where we drafted him. Beck is not expected to be 2C by some or most of us but he is expected to be a darn good 3C.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Andersson would be for the no.4D spot to be paired with Hutson. This means Savard is traded or allowed to walk as a UFA. With Guhle as the no.2D, we are left to fill the critical no.1D spot, the one we hope Reinbacher can fill. Then the rest of the prospects fight for the bottom pair and we move several of them.

Price for a good TDL UFA is a late 1st and a good B prospect. Much sought after UFA you add of course.

The Reinbacher injury is real bad for the team development into a long term contender. We have Matheson for now thank goodness and that helps for the next couple of years.

Anderson is not a solution IMO. He's a patch to help us move up a bit more. I would not trade assets to acquire someone who is soon to be UFA. I would call that a premature move like the Sens made with Debrincat and Chychrun. Too early.

Next 2 or 3 seasons is going to be the real test to our rebuild patience IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: malcb33

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Pittsburgh sent our top 6 winger Rutger McGroarthy to AHL. Crazy, these guys do not know hockey at all. He deserves top 6 minutes. :)

• Haha
Reactions: vokiel

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pittsburgh sent our top 6 winger Rutger McGroarthy to AHL. Crazy, these guys do not know hockey at all. He deserves top 6 minutes. :)

Just goes to show how these kind of prospects take time. Every once in a while guys shine right away but that is rare man.

NHL can and will smother you with less time/space and most players end up making dumb decisions with the puck. Puck management when your time is reduced is a huge area coaches focus on and rightly so. Slaf had big gains in this area last season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Laugh away if you wish. Would you do it if the Pens decide to rebuild and Crosby/Letang waive? It really does change the dynamics of our team. Imagine Crosby with Laine and Demidov?

Respectful offer IMO for two guys with full NMC and at age 37.
Crosby and Letang
for
Dach, Flames/Panthers 1st, Barron, Anderson (cap reasons)

Caufield / Suzuki / Slaf
Laine / Crosby / Demidov

Bottom 2 lines TBD

Matheson / Letang
Hutson / Guhle
Xhekaj / Savard

Struble

Crosby and Letang gets us to Playoff contenders IMO in the short span (2/3 years) while guys like Roy, Beck, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Engstrom, Hage develop/mature more.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I agree but he will still be a bottom 6 center.
I don’t think anyone has that crystal ball ability to say 100% - Ryan O’Reilly was projected to be a good 3C at peak, I see eerily similar qualities…

Elite hunger historically seems to change the calculus… Beck appears (from the outside looking in), to have an abundance of it

Only time will tell of course…

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think anyone has that crystal ball ability to say 100% - Ryan O’Reilly was projected to be a good 3C at peak, I see eerily similar qualities…

Elite hunger historically seems to change the calculus… Beck appears (from the outside looking in), to have an abundance of it

Only time will tell of course…

2C is not an unreachable spot for Beck. He's got the game and hockey IQ but he's going to have to put the work in to get there.

Safe bet is 3C with a chance he is a 2C. Just too hard to know

Reactions: vokiel

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Depends on how much value you put on the 3rd line? For me, the 3rd line has more importance than ever before. Top 6 vs bottom 6 is a thing of the past for me. If you are building a contender in this salary cap, it's top 9F and top 4D for my strategy

I agree Reinbacher provides more value. Reinbacher is expected to be a top 4D from where we drafted him. Beck is not expected to be 2C by some or most of us but he is expected to be a darn good 3C.
I guess we will see but i'm not sure he has the offense to be a great 3rd line C.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
If Hage lives up to his potential (and it's almost unanimous he will be a center at NHL level), our center line in two years will probably be :

Suzuki
Dach/Hage
Hage/Dach
Beck

With Kapanen being able to also play a role at center on the bottom 6.

So i guess we have options here going forward.

So if another team sees Beck as a sure middle 6 center and asks for him in a package for a top 4 RHD, whcih i think we will need sooner than later, i do it without hesitation.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Laugh away if you wish. Would you do it if the Pens decide to rebuild and Crosby/Letang waive? It really does change the dynamics of our team. Imagine Crosby with Laine and Demidov?

Respectful offer IMO for two guys with full NMC and at age 37.
Crosby and Letang
for
Dach, Flames/Panthers 1st, Barron, Anderson (cap reasons)

Caufield / Suzuki / Slaf
Laine / Crosby / Demidov

Bottom 2 lines TBD

Matheson / Letang
Hutson / Guhle
Xhekaj / Savard

Struble

Crosby and Letang gets us to Playoff contenders IMO in the short span (2/3 years) while guys like Roy, Beck, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Engstrom, Hage develop/mature more.
No.

They are building a team that hopefully will compete for a large window in the years to come. And hopefully Dach is big part of that.

Crosby and Letang are solid player, but for how long left? 2 years maybe? At that point we will most likely just start to enter our window.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad