HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't see how any of that is related to putting Laine on LTIR instead of Price.

Unless i'm missing something, the only option it opens is the option to trade Price.

If Montreal makes other trades (not just Price) which clears cap before Laine is good to go or suffers other injuries and eventually clear cap, they can finish the season not in LTIR and accrue capspace - meaning they won't have the kind of bonus overages they've had the past few seasons.

It was also easier to maximize LTIR room by putting Laine on LTIR because of his cap hit.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
If Montreal makes other trades (not just Price) which clears cap before Laine is good to go or suffers other injuries and eventually clear cap, they can finish the season not in LTIR and accrue capspace - meaning they won't have the kind of bonus overages they've had the past few seasons.

It was also easier to maximize LTIR room by putting Laine on LTIR because of his cap hit.
I'm not sure about your last point but i think the other one makes sense.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
With Florida now putting big money (and years) into Verhaeghe, Tkachuk, Barkov, Lundell and Reinhart up front, I wonder if the Habs could grab Sam Bennett as a UFA in the summer?

Assuming that David Savard, Christian Dvorak and Joel Armia are all moved out on or before the trade deadline, and Bennett hasn’t re-signed in Florida, I’d be willing to offer him a significant deal to come north to play for the Habs.

I think he’d be the perfect 2nd line center behind Suzuki, and he’d add a much needed injection of nastiness with his ability to score.
I’d be willing to offer him close to the Suzuki deal, 8 years x 7.0 million. This would move Dach over to the wing, and give the Habs a legit cup contender lineup (in my opinion).

Laine - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Bennett - Dach
Demidov - Newhook - Anderson
Tuch - Kapanen - Gallagher

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - ____
Xhekaj - Struble

Something along those lines anyway.

Reactions: Runner77

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
With Florida now putting big money (and years) into Verhaeghe, Tkachuk, Barkov, Lundell and Reinhart up front, I wonder if the Habs could grab Sam Bennett as a UFA in the summer?

Assuming that David Savard, Christian Dvorak and Joel Armia are all moved out on or before the trade deadline, and Bennett hasn’t re-signed in Florida, I’d be willing to offer him a significant deal to come north to play for the Habs.

I think he’d be the perfect 2nd line center behind Suzuki, and he’d add a much needed injection of nastiness with his ability to score.
I’d be willing to offer him close to the Suzuki deal, 8 years x 7.0 million. This would move Dach over to the wing, and give the Habs a legit cup contender lineup (in my opinion).

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - ____
Xhekaj - Struble

Cats have Ekblad and Bennett ad the big ufas.

Florida can offer him more, another year, a core that has already won and a nice place to live (for the most part)

If he decides to leave Florida, Montreal then needs to offer a better package than a lot of other teams.

So, in short it's a possibility, but given this team it's unlikely.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Cats have Ekblad and Bennett ad the big ufas.

Florida can offer him more, another year, a core that has already won and a nice place to live (for the most part)

If he decides to leave Florida, Montreal then needs to offer a better package than a lot of other teams.

So, in short it's a possibility, but given this team it's unlikely.
Sure, I understand what you’re saying, but I feel like Florida will prioritize Ekblad over Bennett, simply because they don’t have nearly as much depth at right defense.

Plus they already have Lundell who seems to be poised to take over the second center position.

All things being equal, IF Bennett hits the market as a UFA, I think the Habs will make a significant offer. And I think he’s exactly what they’d need in a second line center.

Will it happen? Probably not, but with the Habs having a ton of cap space, and Hughes finally able to spend some cash? Anything is possible.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Sure, I understand what you’re saying, but I feel like Florida will prioritize Ekblad over Bennett, simply because they don’t have nearly as much depth at right defense.

Plus they already have Lundell who seems to be poised to take over the second center position.

All things being equal, IF Bennett hits the market as a UFA, I think the Habs will make a significant offer. And I think he’s exactly what they’d need in a second line center.

Will it happen? Probably not, but with the Habs having a ton of cap space, and Hughes finally able to spend some cash? Anything is possible.
Weren’t there rumours last year that Fla was open/looking to trade Ekblad?

Ekblad isn’t the player he used to be and is slowing down dramatically. Certainly not a no. 1 D at this point even though he’s only 28. Not sure if it’s lingering injuries or just a lot of miles on his body but depending on what he’s asking for, it sure they’d resign him at no. 1 D price.

Bennett is a very different player and would be a lot cheaper. Great all around, rough and tumble guy but not a top tier player. Wish Anderson would play like him.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Bennett would be an awesome add, just not sure if he'd appreciate not getting guaranteed top 6 C time with Suzuki/Dach on the team. I'd still pay him handsomely even if he's on the 3rd line.

The guy my delusional self has eyes on is Noah Dobson.

Delusion is the right word unfortunately.

The Islanders will give Dobson a 7-figure salary for 8 years, and he'll sign there barring a catastrophic falling-out with the team.

And even if he made it to UFA, as a talented right-shot D he'd get substantial offers from a crapton of teams so chances that he'd sign with us in particular would be very low.

I actually think that, unless we get a really, really good player to look our way come July 1st 2025, we should not sign anybody yet and stay the course one more year after that.

In July 2026 our young guys will have had a couple of years to develop, Price will be off the books, and both Gallagher and Anderson will have much more palatable buy-outs.

In short, I just think that we should target July 2026 for when we should start looking more intently at FAs. Next year is a smidge too soon in my opinion unless the "right" player is available.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

The Islanders will give Dobson a 7-figure salary for 8 years, and he'll sign there barring a catastrophic falling-out with the team.

And even if he made it to UFA, as a talented right-shot D he'd get substantial offers from a crapton of teams so chances that he'd sign with us in particular would be very low.

I actually think that, unless we get a really, really good player to look our way come July 1st 2025, we should not sign anybody yet and stay the course one more year after that.

In July 2026 our young guys will have had a couple of years to develop, Price will be off the books, and both Gallagher and Anderson will have much more palatable buy-outs.

In short, I just think that we should target July 2026 for when we should start looking more intently at FAs. Next year is a smidge too soon in my opinion unless the "right" player is available.
The only chance it happens is if he wants out because the Isles are going nowhere.

I don't think we should wait until 2026. You bite the bulled with the buyouts this offseason. Teams needs to add actual good players, we have a ton of assets and cap space.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Looking couple years ahead, nothing like putting cart before horse. But if Monty has big season his trade value could go sky high. Given his contract. Dobes in system and Fowler be here early spring.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

I think we might focus to Devils if we are looking for RHD. They have Hamilton, just signed Pesce, Nemec, Casey and Kovacevic. L. Hughes, Dillon and Siegenthaler on left side and Silyaev in the pipeline. Specifically, Nemec has 2 more years of ELC and he is not really geting opportunities he would like. He will remain 3D behind Hamilton and Pesce. No chance to play PP as they prefer Hamilton and Hughes. He had always been PP QB in whole his career. We will see what his position is in 2 years.

Reactions: DiglettDangles

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The only chance it happens is if he wants out because the Isles are going nowhere.

I don't think we should wait until 2026. You bite the bulled with the buyouts this offseason. Teams needs to add actual good players, we have a ton of assets and cap space.
No need for buyouts. We have six expiring contracts to be replaced by four young guys and two stars. There is $18M available for the two stars, even with Gally and Andy on the books.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023

Unless we win the Hagens lottery and NYI's hockey ops is thirsty for a homegrown star. But yeah, it's a pipe dream.​

Reactions: The Great Weal

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - ____
Xhekaj - Struble

For me our top 6 is pretty set next year.....but I do like Bennett as our 3rd line centre. I'd like to keep Armia is possible. Not sure how the cap would look, but with Demi and Kapanen on ELC's, we may be able to do it. Wouldn't want to over commit on Bennett though, as Dach and eventually Demi will need new deals.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Dach - Demi
Newhook - Bennett - Armia
Tuch/Heinemen - Kapanen - Gally

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - ____
Xhekaj - Struble

Bennett is an integral part of their team. There is a net negative chance they move him.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
For me our top 6 is pretty set next year.....but I do like Bennett as our 3rd line centre. I'd like to keep Armia is possible. Not sure how the cap would look, but with Demi and Kapanen on ELC's, we may be able to do it. Wouldn't want to over commit on Bennett though, as Dach and eventually Demi will need new deals.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Dach - Demi
Newhook - Bennett - Armia
Tuch/Heinemen - Kapanen - Gally
Sam Bennett will not sign anywhere for a third line role.
Ain't gonna happen.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Canucks are still running their backup goalie from last year they will need someone and will pay a price for it. I could see Primeau getting a good value

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
As a center Dach could become a winger and we'd be a stronger team.
Who from Dach, Laine and Demi would be long term third liner?

Would Bennett be instead of one of them on 2nd line?

I don't see why he couldn't be on the third line, other than he wouldnt sign here playing there.

He's actually pretty comparable to Gally, when we signed his current deal. He has averaged around 50 points per 82 game pace. Slightly less than what Gally did. Plays a similar game to Gally.

I actually would be a little uncomfortable with 7 mil. How about 7 years x 6 mil. Play third line centre with Newhook and Armia on your wing. Create chaos.

If not...then no thanks for me.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Who from Dach, Laine and Demi would be long term third liner?

Would Bennett be instead of one of them on 2nd line?

I don't see why he couldn't be on the third line, other than he wouldnt sign here playing there.

He's actually pretty comparable to Gally, when we signed his current deal. He has averaged around 50 points per 82 game pace. Slightly less than what Gally did. Plays a similar game to Gally.

I actually would be a little uncomfortable with 7 mil. How about 7 years x 6 mil. Play third line centre with Newhook and Armia on your wing. Create chaos.

If not...then no thanks for me.
Laine is still a long shot to be a permanent solution and Bennett is never going to be a Hab so the point is moot.
If however you had a sure thing with a healthy Laine you'd be looking at a very hard decision.
Laine is a first line player and a healthy Laine is definitely better than Cole Caufield.
So the question would be what do you do with Caufield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad