HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't see how any of that is related to putting Laine on LTIR instead of Price.

Unless i'm missing something, the only option it opens is the option to trade Price.

If Montreal makes other trades (not just Price) which clears cap before Laine is good to go or suffers other injuries and eventually clear cap, they can finish the season not in LTIR and accrue capspace - meaning they won't have the kind of bonus overages they've had the past few seasons.

It was also easier to maximize LTIR room by putting Laine on LTIR because of his cap hit.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
If Montreal makes other trades (not just Price) which clears cap before Laine is good to go or suffers other injuries and eventually clear cap, they can finish the season not in LTIR and accrue capspace - meaning they won't have the kind of bonus overages they've had the past few seasons.

It was also easier to maximize LTIR room by putting Laine on LTIR because of his cap hit.
I'm not sure about your last point but i think the other one makes sense.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
With Florida now putting big money (and years) into Verhaeghe, Tkachuk, Barkov, Lundell and Reinhart up front, I wonder if the Habs could grab Sam Bennett as a UFA in the summer?

Assuming that David Savard, Christian Dvorak and Joel Armia are all moved out on or before the trade deadline, and Bennett hasn’t re-signed in Florida, I’d be willing to offer him a significant deal to come north to play for the Habs.

I think he’d be the perfect 2nd line center behind Suzuki, and he’d add a much needed injection of nastiness with his ability to score.
I’d be willing to offer him close to the Suzuki deal, 8 years x 7.0 million. This would move Dach over to the wing, and give the Habs a legit cup contender lineup (in my opinion).

Laine - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Bennett - Dach
Demidov - Newhook - Anderson
Tuch - Kapanen - Gallagher

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - ____
Xhekaj - Struble

Something along those lines anyway.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
With Florida now putting big money (and years) into Verhaeghe, Tkachuk, Barkov, Lundell and Reinhart up front, I wonder if the Habs could grab Sam Bennett as a UFA in the summer?

Assuming that David Savard, Christian Dvorak and Joel Armia are all moved out on or before the trade deadline, and Bennett hasn’t re-signed in Florida, I’d be willing to offer him a significant deal to come north to play for the Habs.

I think he’d be the perfect 2nd line center behind Suzuki, and he’d add a much needed injection of nastiness with his ability to score.
I’d be willing to offer him close to the Suzuki deal, 8 years x 7.0 million. This would move Dach over to the wing, and give the Habs a legit cup contender lineup (in my opinion).

Laine - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Bennett - Dach
Demidov - Newhook - Anderson
Tuch - Kapanen - Gallagher

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - ____
Xhekaj - Struble

Something along those lines anyway.
Cats have Ekblad and Bennett ad the big ufas.

Florida can offer him more, another year, a core that has already won and a nice place to live (for the most part)

If he decides to leave Florida, Montreal then needs to offer a better package than a lot of other teams.

So, in short it's a possibility, but given this team it's unlikely.

Reactions: themilosh

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Cats have Ekblad and Bennett ad the big ufas.

Florida can offer him more, another year, a core that has already won and a nice place to live (for the most part)

If he decides to leave Florida, Montreal then needs to offer a better package than a lot of other teams.

So, in short it's a possibility, but given this team it's unlikely.
Sure, I understand what you’re saying, but I feel like Florida will prioritize Ekblad over Bennett, simply because they don’t have nearly as much depth at right defense.

Plus they already have Lundell who seems to be poised to take over the second center position.

All things being equal, IF Bennett hits the market as a UFA, I think the Habs will make a significant offer. And I think he’s exactly what they’d need in a second line center.

Will it happen? Probably not, but with the Habs having a ton of cap space, and Hughes finally able to spend some cash? Anything is possible.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Sure, I understand what you’re saying, but I feel like Florida will prioritize Ekblad over Bennett, simply because they don’t have nearly as much depth at right defense.

Plus they already have Lundell who seems to be poised to take over the second center position.

All things being equal, IF Bennett hits the market as a UFA, I think the Habs will make a significant offer. And I think he’s exactly what they’d need in a second line center.

Will it happen? Probably not, but with the Habs having a ton of cap space, and Hughes finally able to spend some cash? Anything is possible.
Weren’t there rumours last year that Fla was open/looking to trade Ekblad?

Ekblad isn’t the player he used to be and is slowing down dramatically. Certainly not a no. 1 D at this point even though he’s only 28. Not sure if it’s lingering injuries or just a lot of miles on his body but depending on what he’s asking for, it sure they’d resign him at no. 1 D price.

Bennett is a very different player and would be a lot cheaper. Great all around, rough and tumble guy but not a top tier player. Wish Anderson would play like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad