GDT: Game 2 - Penguins vs Detroit - 8:00 PM - Werner: Fenway 'confident' in Dubas' vision for franchise

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Mercifully, I have a 3 hour layover in Baltimore during this game.

Sentences I never thought I would say.
Yes, I was about to say the same: thankfully I have other plans and won’t be watching tonight lol

I just hope Blom plays well and Geno gets his records lol…

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The problem with Dubas's "vision" right now as I see it...

- in terms of futures, we currently don't have a second-round pick in 2025. This whole getting younger model (which I am 100% on board with) only works when you have the draft capital to pull it off. I think Dubas has been too cute with some of his moves. Like getting involved in the St. Louis RFA situation, and the swap of prospects with Wpg. We did not advance in those moves, we stayed in the same place. You have to do more.

- the second part of his vision is to stay competitive for the duration of the legends' careers. Here he has failed miserably imo. You are not staying competitive by adding other teams' rejects and fourth-line talent. Boston no longer wanted Grz; he is now a first-pairing disaster here. St. Louis paid to get rid of Hayes; he looks done as an NHLer. Nashville paid to get rid of Glass; he is a fourth-liner, nothing more than that. LA wanted to get younger at center so they passed on Lizotte; he is a fourth-liner, nothing more (when healthy). Anthony Beauvillier has been on four teams and everybody figured out that he gets chances but cannot score to save his life; here's your brand new first-line winger!

Nashville, a team that added two 40-goal scorers this off-season for the present, also boasts three first-round draft picks in 2025!

You wanna do both, Kyle? Ask the Predators how it is done.

We all saw the PP last season. It was not something that could be fixed with the personnel we have. THAT is why some of us were screaming to sign a Stamkos or trade for a Laine. Instead, we signed Beauvillier as the first-line solution to our problems.

It is useless to further discuss Sullivan at this point, so I will no longer do so. But Dubas is definitely not doing his job. Oh he is doing a little bit of this while also doing a little bit of that. But he is failing at both ends.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's wild how one game can basically suck all the momentum out of rooting for this team.

Mike Sullivan has really done a number on this fan base.

At least the crowd was booing them last night.

I went from grilling out and hooking up the projector while having some drinks and trying to enjoy the season opener to utter indifference in like 20 minutes. Just a stunningly incompetent and disheartening performance. One hopes that despite it all they learn something and actually make some meaningful adjustments but they just... never do.

Plus at this point these guys really are just not any good. It looks like even Sid flippin' Crosby is gonna struggle to put much up in this dog and pony show..

Reactions: BillPrep

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

- in terms of futures, we currently don't have a second-round pick in 2025. This whole getting younger model (which I am 100% on board with) only works when you have the draft capital to pull it off. I think Dubas has been too cute with some of his moves. Like getting involved in the St. Louis RFA situation, and the swap of prospects with Wpg. We did not advance in those moves, we stayed in the same place. You have to do more.

- the second part of his vision is to stay competitive for the duration of the legends' careers. Here he has failed miserably imo. You are not staying competitive by adding other teams' rejects and fourth-line talent. Boston no longer wanted Grz; he is now a first-pairing disaster here. St. Louis paid to get rid of Hayes; he looks done as an NHLer. Nashville paid to get rid of Glass; he is a fourth-liner, nothing more than that. LA wanted to get younger at center so they passed on Lizotte; he is a fourth-liner, nothing more (when healthy). Anthony Beauvillier has been on four teams and everybody figured out that he gets chances but cannot score to save his life; here's your brand new first-line winger!

Nashville, a team that added two 40-goal scorers this off-season for the present, also boasts three first-round draft picks in 2025!

We all saw the PP last season. It was not something that could be fixed with the personnel we have. THAT is why some of us were screaming to sign a Stamkos or trade for a Laine. Instead, we signed Beauvillier as the first-line solution to our problems.

It is useless to further discuss Sullivan at this point, so I will no longer do so. But Dubas is definitely not doing his job. Oh he is doing a little bit of this while also doing a little bit of that. But he is failing at both ends.

Yeah but we got a great top line winger in Michael Bunting and a bunch of shitty prospects that will never play for Jake Guentzel. Great trade!

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It’s no fun to be terrible.

But sincerely don’t understand how one bad game makes all the people who said this team would be bad all summer freak out lmao

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It’s no fun to be terrible.

But sincerely don’t understand how one bad game makes all the people who said this team would be bad all summer freak out lmao

Man even my most optimistic friends who are always getting on me for being so doom and gloom have been texting me this morning all like "WTF was that?!?" That was an EXCEPTIONAL shitshow. Plus it's really insulting to be assured over and over again that they have been working SO hard and teaching SO much and that the powerplay has NEW LOOKS then they trot all THAT out.

OoOoOoOOoOOoooooh! TWO defenseman you say?!? Revolutionary!

Fine with the losing but drop all the double-speak and just say what this is. Plus maybe consider playing a less-than-eye-poison brand of hockey because trying to low event things up is only resulting in losing AND a terrible entertainment product.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
I mean Dortmund on same day is very comparable in price (tbh more) so no clue what you mean

Obv 2/3/4th tier hockey leagues will be cheaper than the NHL.
But thats not via the official ticket route. Cheapest season tickets in Dortmund in the yellow wall are 258€ this season for 17 games.

Most expensive official single day tickets are 75€

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
But thats not via the official ticket route. Cheapest season tickets in Dortmund in the yellow wall are 258€ this season for 17 games.

Most expensive official single day tickets are 75€
Yeah same with the prices I’m quoting. Secondary market vs secondary market is apples to apples.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Man even my most optimistic friends who are always getting on me for being so doom and gloom have been texting me this morning all like "WTF was that?!?" That was an EXCEPTIONAL shitshow. Plus it's really insulting to be assured over and over again that they have been working SO hard and teaching SO much and that the powerplay has NEW LOOKS then they trot all THAT out.

OoOoOoOOoOOoooooh! TWO defenseman you say?!? Revolutionary!

Fine with the losing but drop all the double-speak and just say what this is. Plus maybe consider playing a less-than-eye-poison brand of hockey because trying to low event things up is only resulting in losing AND a terrible entertainment product.
I mean I agree.

I just don’t agree with getting super upset over it, eventually people will not go, and money will end up talking.

Dubas also said they’re not doing this shit anymore if last season happens again, which makes me even more fine with being terrible.

Just not worth it to bug out over because A) it’s pro sports and B) this is how you get the changes you want to see (eg coach fired). IMO.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Why do people always assume I'm "super upset" I'm literally just talking about our crappy team here lol

Like... when I say "yeah that was so bad I just turned it off" I'm not talking about chucking a full beer at my TV, punching some drywall and then screaming at the family pet. I'm talking about rolling my eyes, saying something like "welp that was a bust" and then playing guitar or Helldivers or something for the rest of the evening.

Reactions: Gurglesons

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Why do people always assume I'm "super upset" I'm literally just talking about our crappy team here lol

Like... when I say "yeah that was so bad I just turned it off" I'm not talking about chucking a full beer at my TV, punching some drywall and then screaming at the family pet. I'm talking about rolling my eyes, saying something like "welp that was a bust" and then playing guitar or Helldivers or something for the rest of the evening.
May have been the all caps. Just sayin

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
lol guys... really... for real for real... Mike Sullivan isn't getting fired. We might as well just start developing some gallows humor about it TBH.

Reactions: BillPrep

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I get the frustration. I honestly do but I don't think it's a problem with Dubas's "vision". His "vision" is roughly the same as Hextall's, it's the one that I imagine every single GM would have for the Penguins as well. The reality is that we are destined to be in a middle-ground purgatory for a couple of years. This is the tax payment for 15 years of cup contention and having the privilege of having two all-time greats on the roster. We are half-in and half-out. Whether or not anyone agrees with that approach is irrelevant because that's what the organization is doing. They aren't going all in and giving up prospects and draft capital for win-now players and they aren't stripping it down to the studs and discarding guys like Malkin and Crosby. They are content with a balance. They will support Sid until he retires and then rebuild.

They are going to collect young players and picks to bolster the next generation. That is hardly controversial. It doesn't matter that McGroarty isn't the next Iginla. It doesn't matter is Pono isn't the next Malkin. It doesn't matter that Brunicke is back in Juniors. These aren't meant to be foundational players that you build around. They are meant to be support players. No different than Orpik, Whitney, Armstrong, and the slew of young guys they traded for and collected from 2000 to 2005. Then when you really suck circa 2027 and you get that 1ov and next big thing, you have the supporting cast to put around them. You want to be New York or LA when they add Laf/Kakko or Byfield. You don't want to be Chicago, who adds Bedard and surrounds him with absolute garbage, except for the fading mercenaries who are only willing to come to your hellhole because of money.

The Predators are an interesting example but I don't think it's a stretch by any means to say that's the exception not the rule. They gave up McD and Askarov. Those are two BIG assets. They gambled on Saros who is 29 (which is fine) and they gambled on being able to replace McD via FA in Skjei. Meanwhile, they added several guys who are well north of 30. The Pens and the Preds are NOT in the same part of their cycle. They are essentially where the Penguins were circa 2018/2019. If we added a 34yo and 30yo 40g wings, we all would have cheered. If they added them in FA this year, we would have all groaned (rightfully). But interestingly enough, we could easily be where they are next season. Trading Pettersson and Blomqvist out for 1sts and then adding Taylor Hall and Sam Bennett. But is that a better version for the team moving forward?
Yeah but we got a great top line winger in Michael Bunting and a bunch of shitty prospects that will never play for Jake Guentzel. Great trade!
I am forced to take you off ignore and I see you're still laying down the same pile of shit posts that you were 8 months ago. Good. f***ing. Lord.

Please do everyone two favors: 1. Stop making GDTs and 2. Leave forever if you hate it this much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad