HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I think we trade for a RHD next summer.

Habs will give a chance to Barron to start the season unless he has horrible training camp.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
No, they went with Laine, Zegras would not be useful now, unless you want to get rid of Dach.
Should there be any bit of truth to that rumor nothing says HuGo don’t circle back - I don’t know where Verbeek stands wrt Zegras.

Nothing says you can’t have Zegras-Dach-Laine… not that I expect a deal

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Not sure about that, it’s the kind of deal that happen surfing the offseason

And we already have Matheson and Savard
It's still only 2 out of 6-8.
What i meant was, they need another established top4 RD if they want to have a better shot at making the playoffs. Not just any older D.
I think that's the last glaring hole they have.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
What i meant was, they need another established top4 RD if they want to have a better shot at making the playoffs. Not just any older D.

Montreal's proposed second line played less than 85 games COMBINED last season, they have no true top pair caliber D at the moment unless guys continue to develop, lack a P/GP player and were awful at scoring and defending last year. Plus goaltending with a clear ceiling.

I don't see how a top4 RD is the last glaring hole. I'd argue its not even the most glaring hole.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Just to make you laugh today, here is Eck's rumoured trade that he just posted, its a e4 btw:

Perfetti, Nikolaj Ehlers and a pick to the Canadiens for Nick Suzuki

I think this may officially be the dumbest trade rumour I've ever heard in my 30+ years as a fan of the NHL. It legitimately doesn't make an ounce of anything even resembling a little bit of sence. For the Habs to trade their young captain right now, an incredibly important piece of our core and future, who has great chemistry with our two first line wingers...I'm baffled as to why anyone with even a little bit of common sense would post this "rumour" to their site or blog or whatever. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so f***ing stupid.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I thought we need to keep an open mind? Or is that only when we like the "rumour"?

If someone tell you the earth is flat then you don't have to be open minded.

This is basically the earth is flat of rumour. Ehlers is older, never scored 30 goals, never did 70 points, is a winger, has worse playoffs stats. Unless Suzuki asked for a trade and Winipeg has a top 15 pick to compensate the downgrade it's not happening.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
There is no hurry to make the playoff this year, we just want to see progression. And I don’t think it’s a good idea to give many asset for Andersson without knowing his contract intentions

Reactions: Benstheman

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Montreal's proposed second line played less than 85 games COMBINED last season, they have no true top pair caliber D at the moment unless guys continue to develop, lack a P/GP player and were awful at scoring and defending last year. Plus goaltending with a clear ceiling.

I don't see how a top4 RD is the last glaring hole. I'd argue its not even the most glaring hole.
I'm not talking about being a contending team here, just a playoffs team, to start.
Yes, goaltending is still a question mark, i'll give you that, but they have the potential to be good enough to make the playoffs.

So because the second line has played 85 games last season means they'll play 85 again this season?
Suzuki is pretty close to being a P/G player. I also think he's still has room to grow.

You seem to agree with me that they need help on D.

So what's the most glaring hole this season?

Reactions: LaP

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Just to make you laugh today, here is Eck's rumoured trade that he just posted, its a e4 btw:

Perfetti, Nikolaj Ehlers and a pick to the Canadiens for Nick Suzuki
1726853389996.gif

Reactions: overlords

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Should there be any bit of truth to that rumor nothing says HuGo don’t circle back - I don’t know where Verbeek stands wrt Zegras.

Nothing says you can’t have Zegras-Dach-Laine… not that I expect a deal
I would not mind trading for Zegras, but not if we have to give up a core piece for him, I'm not interested in sideways moves.

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That is so the case. Example PL so many said no. But we all have likes or dislikes, just need to respect everyone's thoughts

bang on here. lol

(even though no way Nick is traded LOL)
Laine made sense. There was nothing surprising or out of the ordinary from the Laine trade. Columbus is not a big market and wanted to get out of that contract without retaining. We have cap space and we are looking for top 6 players in their prime years. The trade made complete sense.

Trading Suzuki for Ehlers and Perfetti makes 0 sense. We are still looking for picks and young players but for old vets not for Suzuki. Suzuki would be traded either for a blue chip prospect or along with kids and picks for a better center in his prime.

Ehlers will be 29 soon he doesn't add that much value to this trade considering our situation. Remember Loui Ericksson? Boston got him for Seguin when he was the same age as Ehlers.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Come on...
That one is clearly not credible at all.
Eklund has proven time and time again that he's making $hit up.
It's not even remotely comparable.

If someone tell you the earth is flat then you don't have to be open minded.

This is basically the earth is flat of rumour. Ehlers is older, never scored 30 goals, never did 70 points, is a winger, has worse playoffs stats. Unless Suzuki asked for a trade and Winipeg has a top 15 pick to compensate the downgrade it's not happening.

I'm not going to give one person the benefit of the doubt when they've been wrong in the past and not the other just because they were more vague (didn't say what the cost would be) and their proposal was more palatable to me. That's literally wishful thinking.

Of course Eklund's rumour is ridiculous (and worse than the Andersson rumour). But Montreal trying to trade for a likely costly D-man with two years of control in September is pretty farfetched too.

I'm not talking about being a contending team here, just a playoffs team, to start.
Yes, goaltending is still a question mark, i'll give you that, but they have the potential to be good enough to make the playoffs.

So because the second line has played 85 games last season means they'll play 85 again this season?
Suzuki is pretty close to being a P/G player. I also think he's still has room to grow.

You seem to agree with me that they need help on D.

So what's the most glaring hole this season?

That's the point though. For the biggest hole to be able to be filled by a guy like Andersson, we need a whole lot more certainty than potential, room to grow and relying on improvements. By that same measure Montreal can hope that their potential at RD can bridge the gap this season.

The goal this season is to be more competitive, ideally past the deadline. Its not to make the playoffs. Montreal needs to

As for biggest hole, its either #1 D, which Andersson does not address, or if we're relying on potential, then #2 center. Dach missed almost all of last season and wasn't a full time center before that. If he doesn't work out then Montreal does not have potential fix for a #2 C. Montreal's got a number of young D that have the potential to have an impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad