HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Yeah. He's 31. If he has a good year they should offer him a reasonable contract (not long term).
He can go UFA if he wants to maximize his next contract.
With Gallagher un-tradable and Anderson , we need to keep roster spots for young players. Beck , Kapanen , F. Xhekaj , Roy, Hage will all be near the NHL next year. Adding Demidov, Newhook will probably be back on the 3rd line. Armia isn’t needed.

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
Army indeed put a hell of a season with consistent effort and big attitude improvement. All about the smile on his face, he enjoyed himself every shift after facing his demons which makes him a solid friend and mentor for newcomer Laine. I hope we sign Armia if he prove to put it together again because he's world class talent when it's on.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Allan Mitchell, a reporter for The Athletic, recently suggested that Barron could be a target for the Oilers. Given the growing speculation surrounding the defenseman, it's not out of the question that his days with the Canadiens are numbered.
"Barron is a long-term acquisition, but his speed and offensive tools make him a reasonable investment for a right-hander." - Allan Mitchell

Currently, the Oilers' defensive corps lacks depth, with Mattias Ekholm , Evan Bouchard and Darnell Nurse leading the way, but little support behind them. A player like Barron could slot into their top-4.​
What can we get back? We paid a lot for Barron.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
With Gallagher un-tradable and Anderson , we need to keep roster spots for young players. Beck , Kapanen , F. Xhekaj , Roy, Hage will all be near the NHL next year. Adding Demidov, Newhook will probably be back on the 3rd line. Armia isn’t needed.
I guess Evans and Armia are the only vets who will be considered for contract extension. Both are our top PK options and they can definitely find their spot in bottom 6. I guess Dvorak, Pezzetta, RHP and ABB would be gone if they do not make extra jump. I am sure, they will also trade Anderson latest next summer. Then it depends which of our young forwards will be NHL ready. For bottom 6 we might have Roy, Newhook, Beck, Kapanen, Gallagher. I do not expect Hage and Florian to be ready, so they might use some depth with one year extension for Armia and Evans.

Reactions: CAUFIELD

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs trading Barron comes down to how much they like Mailloux. If they feel Mailloux and Reinbacher are the two top 4 on the right side, Barron could be made available. I think Hughes waits to see how both Mailloux and Barron look in camp, preseason, and to start the year.

Personally, I like the draft power we had for several years now. I rather shoot for a 20-32 range 1st for Barron with small adds. Barron is underrated IMO and even that price might be too cheap. Adding more 1sts helps us keep our future pool full and gives us an advantage to stay under the cap in 3-5+ years.

Army indeed put a hell of a season with consistent effort and big attitude improvement. All about the smile on his face, he enjoyed himself every shift after facing his demons which makes him a solid friend and mentor for newcomer Laine. I hope we sign Armia if he prove to put it together again because he's world class talent when it's on.

He got a AHL scare bud. AHL kick in the ass and once he was called back up, he started to show up every shift again. Armia is a very effective middle 6F or bottom 6F when he is on his game. He's a guy you really can put on any line.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
We should not be in any rush to trade anyone unless it Savard, Dvorak, Gallagher or Anderson…
Barron is 22yo not many 22yo are doing better than him or even have is potential, even if he was our 4th RD we have other guy that are able to go to the AHL without waivers and if they outplay Barron at camp even more reason to have them play big minute in the AHL rather than sit in the press box in the NHL…

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
We should not be in any rush to trade anyone unless it Savard, Dvorak, Gallagher or Anderson…
Barron is 22yo not many 22yo are doing better than him or even have is potential, even if he was our 4th RD we have other guy that are able to go to the AHL without waivers and if they outplay Barron at camp even more reason to have them play big minute in the AHL rather than sit in the press box in the NHL…
Yep, agree.

I'm not even a huge Barron guy but there has to be some clarity on the D front this season before we make any sort of moves. Trading a guy for the sake of trading him is not good practice, especially when we don't even know if we're going to need him yet. Mailloux and Reinbacher probably aren't ready yet for full time, and at least Barron has NHL time.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
why would we be in a rush to trade Savard?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Not saying we need to rush but if we have to make a move earlier than the TDL, he should be the first to go 1) he is getting trade regardless 2) he might have the most value 3) we don’t run the risk of him being injured.
I think if the goal is to be good this season, we need to add an NHL caliber RHD and not take away our only 1

Not my first choice but I could see us taking one off waivers similar to Kovacevic, especially if Barron is traded

Reactions: HABitual Fan

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I think if the goal is to be good this season, we need to add an NHL caliber RHD and not take away our only 1

Not my first choice but I could see us taking one off waivers similar to Kovacevic, especially if Barron is traded
Who on waiver will be better than Barron… and why would not one in front put in a claim…
The goal this year is to figure out what we have people pencilling in every pick in our futur lineup it isn’t happening…
I agree that we need Savard to start the season but there as to be one of Reinbacher, Mailloux or Barron that will make him expendable, if not we have a bigger issue because that mean that we don’t have a top 4 RD…

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
His PK when he's on is a thing of beauty.
The last time we saw a sequence even remotely close to the end of last season was during our Covid run to the SCF.

Last edited:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Who on waiver will be better than Barron… and why would not one in front put in a claim…
The goal this year is to figure out what we have people pencilling in every pick in our futur lineup it isn’t happening…
I agree that we need Savard to start the season but there as to be one of Reinbacher, Mailloux or Barron that will make him expendable, if not we have a bigger issue because that mean that we don’t have a top 4 RD…
It is a tricky situation at RD, we have the prospects but there is no telling if they will be ready this season, especially if we want to make a playoff push.

I personally think we are one solid top-4 RHD away from being a playoff team this season, provided we stay relatively healthy and get a decent season from Montembeault.

In the future I see Reinbacher on the top pair with either Guhle or Hutson, and Mailloux on the bottom pair with Xhekaj. I don't see Barron being the answer on the 2nd pair because with the makeup of our current roster I think we will need a more defense oriented player.

Ideally Guhle has no issues playing on the right side and Barron turned into a beast this summer, then our problems are solved.

IMO, adding a solid top-4 RHD this year doesn't screw up our window or block any of our young guys whatsoever. It actually would add more flexibility to trading Savard or Barron, and with Reinbacher and Mailloux being our only legit RHD prospects, there is still a spot open long term for a solid vet.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Few teams still trying to get JVR on a PTO. Didn't see the list, so Habs might be one, assuming he's fine with not playing every game.
Bottom 6 could definitely use more offensive talent but there's no room at the moment.

Suzuki/Slaf/CC/Dach/Laine/Newhook/Roy/Dvorak/Anderson/Gallagher/Armia/Evans with Pezz as the 13th forward. Not to mention that besides Anderson and Evans (and Pezz), the bottom 6 don't have above average skaters. Adding cinder block feet JVR only makes matters worse.

Reactions: electron58

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Bottom 6 could definitely use more offensive talent but there's no room at the moment.

Suzuki/Slaf/CC/Dach/Laine/Newhook/Roy/Dvorak/Anderson/Gallagher/Armia/Evans with Pezz as the 13th forward. Not to mention that besides Anderson and Evans (and Pezz), the bottom 6 don't have above average skaters. Adding cinder block feet JVR only makes matters worse.
Truth.

He's only worth is net front presence as he's pretty damn good at it and could potentially teach Slaf some tips.

Jul 6, 2016
I tink Hughes made the wrong move by trading Kovacevic instead of Barron. Kovy is a big, reliable, RH d-man who would had fot on the bottom pairing or as #7 d-man while Mailloux and Reinbacher are ready for full time NHL hockey. The return that Hughes got for him from NJ was way too low. Barron, with his style of play and lack of physicality, is useless on a bottom pairing or PK . And some teams might still be attracted by his offensive skills…..

Kovy will be missed for the time being.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I tink Hughes made the wrong move by trading Kovacevic instead of Barron. Kovy is a big, reliable, RH d-man who would had fot on the bottom pairing or as #7 d-man while Mailloux and Reinbacher are ready for full time NHL hockey. The return that Hughes got for him from NJ was way too low. Barron, with his style of play and lack of physicality, is useless on a bottom pairing or PK . And some teams might still be attracted by his offensive skills…..

I have to admit that what you say makes some sense.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Barron played 48 games last year in the NHL with 18:38 avg TOI. That avg TOI is 4th among dmen who played more than 3 games last year on the team behind Matheson, Guhle and Savard.

He faced harder oppostion and played more minutes per game than Kovacevic (16:31 avg TOI) did.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

There's a chance he gets waived again, not sure if there is a rule against us claiming him

Sam Malinski is another RHD who might get waived

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Getting a 4th round pick for a #7 dman is not way too low, especially when we were crowded with dmen at the time. I'd much rather give the chance to Barron who despite his faults has way more potential. Not to mention that Kova is extremely soft himself and I think Barron would have been gone if teams were offering something worthwhile.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
maybe Barron is a trade that we did not win maybe....

Way too early to tell. Fans are too eager to dump Barron who is trending well : good skating, good puck moving skills, good transition game, good shot. He has issues in his Dzone but is only D+5 this year (like Guhle). Giving up on prospects with NHL experience because MTL has Lane Hutson Mailloux Reinbacher as puck movers or RHDs seems like a big mistake.

I would go with following pairs and see how it goes, prefer to have Guhle on Left side
Matheson - Mailloux
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj - Savard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad