HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Exactly. I just speculate here. But. If Caufield starts to be less effective at 29 years old (the year he need to sign his next contract. Sometimes it better to leave him on the ufa market and gain cap space for another move. At one point, you cannot sign everyone and tou need make some tough choice
Power forwards are usually done by 29 - 31 (Simmonds, Van Riemsdyk). Caufield doesn't play a power game so unless he has suffered a few injuries that have reduced his effectiveness he will probably be worth another contract.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Friedman says the pens have a bunch of different offers (2, 3, 4 year deals) for Crosby, whichever choice he might make.

A player told Friedman that said, what if the Pens miss again, that's why he likely hasn't signed yet.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Friedman says the pens have a bunch of different offers (2, 3, 4 year deals) for Crosby, whichever choice he might make.

A player told Friedman that said, what if the Pens miss again, that's why he likely hasn't signed yet.
I agree with the player here, I don't think Sid signs until he sees how the season is going. New GM, new ownership for 2 years now down there, probably not the same vision going forward.

Reactions: tazsub3

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Power forwards are usually done by 29 - 31 (Simmonds, Van Riemsdyk). Caufield doesn't play a power game so unless he has suffered a few injuries that have reduced his effectiveness he will probably be worth another contract.
So would you let Slaf walk instead of Caufield. Personnally I don’t. This is just speculating now, but in 6-7-8 years, we will need to make some tough decision

Reactions: Rapala

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Small scoring wingers age like milk. The Caufield contract works perfect for us. We’ll take his entire prime and likely toss him away when it’s the right time at the end of his contract unless we have an incompetent manager handing out an over 30 retirement contract. A player like Slafkovsky should age well. He can play a physical game but he’s in no way built in the model of the old school power forward. Guys like Simmonds are just examples of guys who flaked out early. He was never near as talented as Slafkovsky is.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
View attachment 905038

Includes some RFAs, like Bouchard, Dobson, but that's a whole lot of nothing.

Habs to get a good RD is through trade and you're likely looking at Reinbacher being part of the package for a guy like Seider, or potentially Bouchard/Dobson next year. That's also just the RD without a contract.

If the Habs did swing big for Bouchard they could put Hutson in that deal, but those are big time deals.

I wouldn't mind Adam Larsson at all actually if one of Mailloux or Barron (or even Reinbacher though I heavily doubt he busts) doesn't pan out. A bit younger than Savard, good size and pretty decent defensively. He would help balance Mailloux/Barron more lackadaisical defence

In fact he would probably be the ideal replacement for Savard. He'll be one of the crown jewel of next UFA crop though, he probably will be overpayed

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That whole defense was young. I don't include ramage because he wasn't a regular, jjd might have been the oldest guy and he wasn't even that old himself .

Desjardins, odelein, schneider, haller, brisebois were all puppies, but they all went on to play a a shit ton of games in this league aside from haller.
Teams that win the cups tend to be relatively young. There's exceptions like the Canes in 2005-2006 but most of the time cup winners are young teams.

If we look at the past 10 years (the age are at the beginning of the season since it was easier to do).

2015 Hawks - 6 regular players over 30, 1 regular over 35 (Hossa)
2016 Pens - 3 regular players over 30, 2 regular over 35 (Kunitz and Cullen)
2017 Pens - 6 regular players over 30, 3 regular over 35 (Kunitz, Cullen and Hainsey)
2018 Caps - 5 regular over 30, 1 regular over 35 (Orpik)
2019 Blues - 5 regular over 30, no regular over 35.
2020 TB - 3 regular over 30, no regular over 35
2021 TB - 6 regular over 30, no regular over 35
2022 Avs - 4 regular over 30, no regular over 35
2023 Knights - 6 regular over 30, 1 regular over 35 (Martinez)
2024 Panthers - 5 regular over 30, none over 35

We will have this season 5 regular players over 30 (Gallagher, Anderson, Savard, Armia and Matheson). This is about the same as cup winners have on average. Yet somehow according to many of our fans we need MOAR experience. If you look at cup winners they rarely have regular guys over 35 too. But we need them. We desperatly need them according to some of our fans.

On a side note i don't know what happened to Haller. He was a good dman for a short while. 10 overall pick and had a decent start of his career and played very well in 92-93. Then it went downhill in 96 and he was just 25. Sean Hill who was 22 in 92-93 and was used mostly as a 7th dman (something you should not do according to some of our fans) had a good career though.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Teams that win the cups tend to be relatively young. There's exceptions like the Canes in 2005-2006 but most of the time cup winners are young teams.

If we look at the past 10 years (the age are at the beginning of the season since it was easier to do).

2017 Pens - 6 regular players over 30, 3 regular over 35 (Kunitz, Cullen and Hainsey)

We will have this season 5 regular players over 30 (Gallagher, Anderson, Savard, Armia and Matheson). This is about the same as cup winners have on average. Yet somehow according to many of our fans we need MOAR experience. If you look at cup winners they rarely have regular guys over 35 too. But we need them. We desperatly need them according to some of our fans.

On a side note i don't know what happened to Haller. He was a good dman for a short while. 10 overall pick and had a decent start of his career and played very well in 92-93. Then it went downhill in 96 and he was just 25. Sean Hill who was 22 in 92-93 and was used mostly as a 7th dman (something you should not do according to some of our fans) had a good career though.

I think the habs were exceptionally young on defense though. 25 years of age would have been ancient on that squad and I think jjd was the only one over that age..... I'm not even talking 30.

Reactions: tazsub3

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Good point.
The experienced players have to perform or face the chopping block some sooner than later.
I look at the makeup of our team and I already see a young vet in Suzuki.
Starting with his contract who many weren't sure about and then his "Captaincy" which was supposes to eat him up.
We are a couple of seasons away from HuGo looking at what a SCF team is supposed to look like and working our roster backwards from there.
By the time this season ends we may well have another three or four kids starting camp next season as placeholders.
I have absolutely no worries about veteran leadership we drafted a certain mind set for a reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabbyGuy and LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think the habs were exceptionally young on defense though. 25 years of age would have been ancient on that squad and I think jjd was the only one over that age..... I'm not even talking 30.
Oh yeah they were abnormally young that year. The only regular player over 30 was Carbonneau and he was still at that time one of the best defensive center in the league. There was Savard too but he was injured for most of the year so did not really help the team much. All other regular players were 28 and less.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Oh yeah they were abnormally young that year. The only regular player over 30 was Carbonneau and he was still at that time one of the best defensive center in the league. There was Savard too but he was injured for most of the year so did not really help the team much. All other regular players were 28 and less.

I know savard got injured that year, but he came flying out of the gate that season and I think he was top 10 in scoring at one point. Maybe it was the coaching change that got him going.

I wonder what the timeline was like with his injury and his decrease in production that year.... because it just fell right off the cliff after a strong start.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

More experience when exactly?

And I'm not sure its reasonably to conflate age with experience. Teams who win cups also tend to have a lot of players who were drafted highly, entered the league very quickly and have played a lot of NHL games. Colorado, Tampa (2020) and Washington were the only teams among those cup winners who had a below average number of NHL games experience, and most winners were in the top 10. Montreal was the 4th least experienced team in the NHL last season and they're both the second youngest and second least experienced team going into this season.

Montreal will add experience organically and its certainly way down on the priority list, but experience matters and they wont be able to address it internally.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
More experience when exactly?

And I'm not sure its reasonably to conflate age with experience. Teams who win cups also tend to have a lot of players who were drafted highly, entered the league very quickly and have played a lot of NHL games. Colorado, Tampa (2020) and Washington were the only teams among those cup winners who had a below average number of NHL games experience, and most winners were in the top 10. Montreal was the 4th least experienced team in the NHL last season and they're both the second youngest and second least experienced team going into this season.

Montreal will add experience organically and its certainly way down on the priority list, but experience matters and they wont be able to address it internally.

Exactly. Our vets wont be Matehson, Armia, Anderson, gallagher, Dvorak. Our vets will be Guhle, Suzuki, Caufield, ... for that to happen they must play. The young dmen must play to gain experience. Two vets is the most we should have in the defense for now and probably just one next year as Guhle will slowly start to be experienced by that time.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
They will fix it before season start. E.g. trade Nicklas Backstrom contract from WAS.
Believe the owner would still have to pay the LTIR contract so obviously they'd prefer to have the exemption. Especially since they didn't even want to retain Laine to get actual assets in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad