HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Honestly, I'm surprised how many people are annoyed or shocked that they haven't made more moves. They've been pretty transparent that next summer is the summer they are attacking aggressively, and that this year is more of a push into the next phase but the playoffs are a 'hope' and not the 'target'.

When we could have had Marchessault if we added term, but didn't, that should have been all the signal needed to know that HuGo aren't just going to make any move that presents itself if it is an improvement on the roster, should it be a potential barrier to success down the line.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Honestly, I'm surprised how many people are annoyed or shocked that they haven't made more moves. They've been pretty transparent that next summer is the summer they are attacking aggressively, and that this year is more of a push into the next phase but the playoffs are a 'hope' and not the 'target'.

When we could have had Marchessault if we added term, but didn't, that should have been all the signal needed to know that HuGo aren't just going to make any move that presents itself if it is an improvement on the roster, should it be a potential barrier to success down the line.
Feel like season is to see what we have in Dach, Newhook and Roy. For every one that becomes a good forward it's less assets that need to be wasted on upgrading top 6.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

It seems to me there has been a bit of misinterpretation as to what our management was actually saying.
The UFA portion of the off season went exactly as Gorton said it would "We've made offers and will find out if the players see things the same way we do".

There is usually a trade or two in August and September (We got Monahan August 18th) as well as a ton of player movement coming out of camp.
There are also a decent number of trades in October when teams realize they have the wrong mix.

electron58

Jun 29, 2024
It seems to me there has been a bit of misinterpretation as to what our management was actually saying.
The UFA portion of the off season went exactly as Gorton said it would "We've made offers and will find out if the players see things the same way we do".

There is usually a trade or two in August and September (We got Monahan August 18th) as well as a ton of player movement coming out of camp.
There are also a decent number of trades in October when teams realize they have the wrong mix.
For sure. As the season nears, Teams need to get somewhat cap compliant and are willing to pay a little more to get rid of excess or ask for little for potential assets. (as you referred to the Monahan deal)

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
We were ranked 20-something in most relevant categories. There is nothing wrong with fans wanting to see improvements made to the roster. Don’t let tankophiles insist their predilection for young, inexperienced rosters convince you losing most of a season year after year after year after year is normal.

Building is an intrinsic part of rebuilding. Progress must be made.

The good news is, unlike tank obsessed fans, Hughes seems like a competitive guy who values winning.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
For sure. As the season nears, Teams need to get somewhat cap compliant and are willing to pay a little more to get rid of excess or ask for little for potential assets. (as you referred to the Monahan deal)
Are they teams that need will have trouble getting under the cap?

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

It's just that KH said he has to many players and pick's.
But if no good deal is out there then why trade

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023

I think expectations were set high by people like Basu, Engels, McGuire and many others when they predicted a lot of movement from the Habs this summer.
They thought because KH made trades the last two offseasons that he would do it again.
Personally, i was always a bit sceptical because finding a willing trade partner is not a sure thing. Trades are hard...lol

But to be fair, KH said himself that trades scenarios were set up at the draft in case Demidov and Hage were not there when they picked.
I think there could easily have been some trades for more immediate help. It just didn't happen that way.
I'm just glad they were able to draft those players even if they won't help next season.

And summer is not over.

As for UFAs, signing guys like Marchessault or Patrick Kane to short term deals was always a long shot. Not surprising it didn't work.
But at least they tried. That shows that they're trying to get better ASAP, just not at the detriment of long term success.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
We were ranked 20-something in most relevant categories. There is nothing wrong with fans wanting to see improvements made to the roster. Don’t let tankophiles insist their predilection for young, inexperienced rosters convince you losing most of a season year after year after year after year is normal.

Building is an intrinsic part of rebuilding. Progress must be made.

The good news is, unlike tank obsessed fans, Hughes seems like a competitive guy who values winning.

It's clearly a thing where fans were (rightfully) disappointed with the direction of the team for so long that they began to glorify the idea of a tank and really got into lusting after prospects/high picks.

By all means, the rebuild was highly necessary, but it doesn't mean that losing is fun or should be prolonged but clearly I think that there are many posters here who have gotten so into talking about picks and prospects that they get more of a kick out of that than watching a winning team.

It's why you see vocal posters let the idea of Laine/Zegras/Necas and whoever else you want (such as O'Reilly in the past for example) where if it's not perfect, it's an enemy, and you should prefer magic beans. It's really lazy and uninspired.

In no realistic world should you be saying 'let's use this season to see what we got in Roy and Newhook' as a reason to avoid improving your top-6. That's absurd.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It's clearly a thing where fans were (rightfully) disappointed with the direction of the team for so long that they began to glorify the idea of a tank and really got into lusting after prospects/high picks.

By all means, the rebuild was highly necessary, but it doesn't mean that losing is fun or should be prolonged but clearly I think that there are many posters here who have gotten so into talking about picks and prospects that they get more of a kick out of that than watching a winning team.

It's why you see vocal posters let the idea of Laine/Zegras/Necas and whoever else you want (such as O'Reilly in the past for example) where if it's not perfect, it's an enemy, and you should prefer magic beans. It's really lazy and uninspired.

In no realistic world should you be saying 'let's use this season to see what we got in Roy and Newhook' as a reason to avoid improving your top-6. That's absurd.
No one is avoiding improving the top 6. It would take a Lane, Necas or Zegras to do that and the cost is likely too exorbitant at this point. The time to overpay for players like that is when you fele they are the missing piece to a Cup.

Reactions: HABitual Fan

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
the cost is likely too exorbitant at this point
It's always too expensive. We seemingly never have enough assets. Prices are too high!

The time to overpay for players like that is when you fele they are the missing piece to a Cup.
The first step is building a team that can be better than 28th best in a 32 team league.

No need to overpay. Just sign FAs for depth, or pay fair prices for fair returns. Nothing crazy.

You wouldn't want to let Patrik Laine get in the way of Roy's development now, would you? What if Laine has two good years for us, what then? We're meant to sign him at 28 to a long contract...? Are you out of your mind, what if he wants a deal that starts with an 8, what then? -- wouldn't that break our internal cap??? No way fella. No way.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

Considering there's been no significant trades by any team so far this offseason. I'm not surprised at all that we haven't made a deal. There's still a month and a half until the season starts. As it gets closer to that time, opposing GM's will get desperate.

That wasn't a signal. HuGo said they weren't interested in adding anyone long term, through UFA. So anyone expecting us to sign Marchessault, Stamkos etc should not have been disappointed.

I don't believe they're waiting until next year like you and some others believe. If the right opportunity comes up. I expect HuGo to be highly aggressive in obtaining a player they deem fits.

Feel like season is to see what we have in Dach, Newhook and Roy. For every one that becomes a good forward it's less assets that need to be wasted on upgrading top 6.
Possible, but why would HuGo come out and state they're looking to add a top 6 player?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No one is avoiding improving the top 6. It would take a Lane, Necas or Zegras to do that and the cost is likely too exorbitant at this point. The time to overpay for players like that is when you fele they are the missing piece to a Cup.
It's not all or nothing. We can add 1 or 2 pieces this year, and then 2 or 3 more the following two years.

Last edited:

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
My god, not there will be a complete radio silence for the next 4-5 weeks at least.

Habs better get in da playoffs this season cause it just plain sucks from mid April until Oct. Too f***ing long.
Bottom six is quite awful. Do you honestly believe Armia, Anderson, Dvorak, Gallagher can get you in the playoffs?

Reactions: The Real Timo

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Actually ya. If their role is focused on more limited 3rd 4th line duties instead of trying to be the guy on the 1st and 2nd line, I think they’ll actually excel.
Aaaaand who plays in the top6 in the case of a single (1) injury?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
My god, not there will be a complete radio silence for the next 4-5 weeks at least.

Habs better get in da playoffs this season cause it just plain sucks from mid April until Oct. Too f***ing long.
Apparently, their broadcasting partners are inching closer to bankruptcy. Cable TV is about to die anyway.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I think an “accelerated rebuild” move - McGroarty? - was shelved when Demidov fell to them.

Next up is a move for a difference-maker who will put them over the top. …. From playoff team to contender, not bubble team to playoffs.

A little patience is needed in order to find out which young players will fall short of their potential. Where are the soft spots in top 9 and top 4? It’s a more precise move than just adding talent.

As it stands now, in theory, the future top 9 could all be 1st rd picks (will give Beck same status, being 1 pick away). No obvious shortfalls in talent there.

Slaf - Suz - Demi
CC - Hage - Dach
Newhook - Beck - Mesar

Big years ahead for Dach and Mesar, IMO.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad