HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
If you are going to make ridiculous observations then at least attempt to justify them.
IMO Anderson does not hit much any more because he gets hurt too easily.
Which was the ridiculous observation -- that Josh Anderson doesn't play effectively in MSL's system or that he doesn't forecheck much? Please advise.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I disagree on that : Armia Anderson Gallagher Evans Dvorak are all NHLers. They are overpaid but they have their place in a bottom 6 (and I am far from an Anderson fan). I think until now MSL has failed to provide structure adapted to bottom 6 players with limited hockey IQ (or very low in case of Anderson). It is great to give freedom to creative players, but bottom 6 needs more structure in my opinion.
Habs really need a top 6 player and Dach to stay healthy though

They can all slot into a lineup and fill a void, but you don't have 5 of them on your team as lines , that's the issue I have. I like Anderson still, I think he will bounce back. The rest of them are spare parts

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
They can all slot into a lineup and fill a void, but you don't have 5 of them on your team as lines , that's the issue I have. I like Anderson still, I think he will bounce back. The rest of them are spare parts

Eh, the problem is more that Armia and Gallagher played more frequently as 2nd liners than bottom 6 guys. Drawing conclusions about guys because they play more than they should is dangerous.

Montreal's still rebuilding and have been pretty unfortunate with injuries. Newhook missed a lot of time, but doesn't have a lengthy injury history. Dach DOES have a lengthy injury history, but should be able to play more than 4 periods next season.

But I agree that Montreal's better off with another high pick, even if that shouldn't limit them from making moves to be more competitive now. Largely because the list of things that need to happen for them to even be competitive for a playoff spot is massive:

-Healthy Dach (and improved play)
-Generally better health
-Better shooting (and more shooting luck) for Caufield
-Growth from Slafkovsky, Newhook, Roy, etc.
-Growth from Guhle
-At least two (and probably 3) young D demonstrating an ability to play in the top-4
-No serious declines from vets like Matheson
-Continued strong goaltending

Not everything has to go right, but Montreal needs more to go right than most teams in the league (and arguably more than any other team in the East). This season is about starting to graduate prospect or giving them a taste of the NHL and looking for guys to lay a claim on roster spots on a more long term basis.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Eh, the problem is more that Armia and Gallagher played more frequently as 2nd liners than bottom 6 guys. Drawing conclusions about guys because they play more than they should is dangerous.

Montreal's still rebuilding and have been pretty unfortunate with injuries. Newhook missed a lot of time, but doesn't have a lengthy injury history. Dach DOES have a lengthy injury history, but should be able to play more than 4 periods next season.

But I agree that Montreal's better off with another high pick, even if that shouldn't limit them from making moves to be more competitive now. Largely because the list of things that need to happen for them to even be competitive for a playoff spot is massive:

-Generally better health
-Growth from Guhle
-At least two (and probably 3) young D demonstrating an ability to play in the top-4

Not everything has to go right, but Montreal needs more to go right than most teams in the league (and arguably more than any other team in the East). This season is about starting to graduate prospect or giving them a taste of the NHL and looking for guys to lay a claim on roster spots on a more long term basis.
I think we'll improve in the standing and be a bubble team on the outside. But with a little luck we might even compete for a playoff spot. A little luck the other way and we might again be a lottery team. We may well end up with a high pick. I can't see the goalies being as good as they were, esp if the D is as green as I think it will be.

We're still in transition. A lot hinges on Kirby Dach - now and in the future. He's a key cog and if he can't stay healthy then I think Hugo will get a lot more active.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I think we'll improve in the standing and be a bubble team on the outside. But with a little luck we might even compete for a playoff spot. A little luck the other way and we might again be a lottery team. We may well end up with a high pick. I can't see the goalies being as good as they were, esp if the D is as green as I think it will be.

We're still in transition. A lot hinges on Kirby Dach - now and in the future. He's a key cog and if he can't stay healthy then I think Hugo will get a lot more active.
and newhook. he needs to show more for what the habs gave up for him.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002

-Generally better health
-Growth from Guhle

I agree 100%

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

There's this small chance that getting Laine turns into a Kovalev 2.0 love affair which is hard to ignore

'lazy', hyper skilled, flowing blonde hair, heavily criticized, great one timer, would be coming in on a deal nearing it's expiry date...

It could also fail spectacularly.

indecisive-i-dont-know.gif

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
There's this small chance that getting Laine turns into a Kovalev 2.0 love affair which is hard to ignore

'lazy', hyper skilled, flowing blonde hair, heavily criticized, great one timer, would be coming in on a deal nearing it's expiry date...

The defacto "out-clause" after two years is the really attractive part of this.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The defacto "out-clause" after two years is the really attractive part of this.

It’s a pretty good gamble for us, there’s almost no risk.

The key is trying to get one of Anderson or Gallagher going the other way (or, somewhere anyway) so that it negates the majority of Laine’s cap hit.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
It’s a pretty good gamble for us, there’s almost no risk.

The key is trying to get one of Anderson or Gallagher going the other way (or, somewhere anyway) so that it negates the majority of Laine’s cap hit.
It's not going to happen. We have to plan around eating all of Gallanderson (12m) and Laine (8.7) -> 20.7m for the two seasons, in the case the absolute worst happens and he fails and Gallanderson also continue to fail. The good news we can fit him in both seasons with Price's LTIR with Xhekaj's cap hit left to spare... so it's not so much of a problem.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Shoulder surgery is a concern. It mitigates a lot of the excitement I might have for this move. It really comes down to what they'd want. If it's a dump then it might be worth it. I don't think he's going to come in and pot 40 goals though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad